FRICK FRACK I CAN'T FIGURE OUT MY OWN SONG!

Skip to the bottom

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 8

Ok. I swear to myself every year that I'll take copious notes on my guitar fingerings and whatnot, and for the LIFE OF ME I CANNOT FIGURE OUT THESE TWO STUPID CHORDS.

Anyone?
    Here's the song:
    http://fawm.org/songs/78391/

It's based off of the Weird Fishes/Arpeggi by raiohead
    Link to tabs: http://www.hakwright.co.uk/music/tab/...

Seriously,,,the first chord felt so much easier when I recorded it.
    Now I feel like the only way to play it is like this:

12-10-7-x-x-x Which feels like an INSANE finger stretch.
    Any better guitar masters that can quickly solve my chord riddle?

• @scottlake  Mar 8

Was that one where you were using Open C, or the Bon Iver tuning?

• @doglatin  Mar 8

I do the same thing every year, too. Lost in the moment, no time for notes, get it recorded and posted...

• @pipewrench67  Mar 8

Same, working through it right now, because all this years songs (except the instrumental) are being brought to the band, so I should probably have the chords charted for them. I'll give a listen and see if I'm any help.

@scottlake I don't think so. I think it was standard tuning.
    FRICK. You're RIGHT!! I just picked up my "Bon Iver" guitar and started playing it with an open string. It works. That's the one. THANK YOU. I'm adding notes to my Google Doc now. πŸ˜€

@scottlake

Here it is:
    Bon iver tuned guitar C G C G G D
    capo2

First Chord Second Chord
    x 9 7 0 x x x 5 4 0 x x

@doglatin It's the WORST!! And I tell myself EVERY YEAR that I'll be better about it. Some of my "throw away" songs jump up and bite me later and I love them, but I can't play them. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Mar 8

Before you forget, you totally capoed our song, standard tuning. πŸ˜‰

@metalfoot I just figured that one out because I'm 99% going to perform it this weekend for the FOP. πŸ˜€

• @devin  Mar 8

I hate this situation!!

I have a phone full of left-hand videos for this exact reason... I just have to remember to save them in the FAWM folders.

I’m back at the gear tomorrow afternoon (morning for you)... if you’re still stuck I’ll try!

And then I didn't write down the chord voicings for my song with @standup!! Dang it all to heck, me!

Thanks @devin. @scottlake Knows me well enough that he helped me figure it out...it was an alt-tuning. It's so weird though because I SWORE I did this in a standard tuning (especially when I was figuring out the radiohead song). But the second I went on my alt-tuned guitar, it totally worked.

• @scottlake  Mar 8

Glad you got it. I'm afraid my entire FAWM output this year is lost to my own inability to write out notes for chord progressions and so forth.

• @metalfoot  Mar 8

@stevenwesleyguiles Want me to skype in for the harmonies? LOL

• @tamsnumber4 Mar 8

Thank you, I've been trying to figure out one of my songs, almost totally forgotten and this made me not feel terrible, this is what I get for falling asleep while I'm creating.

• @kevinemmrich  Mar 8

I have two (or three) songs that I did not write the chords down for also! I just played and sang them -- now I have to do the same thing and re-figure them out. Hopefully it won't be too hard since all my songs are pretty standard chord progressions.

• @tcelliott  Mar 8

After reading this thread I am SO happy that I only use open chords in first position and barre chords. *whew*

• @kovbleu  Mar 8

I was just thinking in my head on the drive to work - "Did you write down the chords on your lyric scribble sheets this year????" I know a couple I did, but you just get so lost in the moment and then move on so quickly to the next it's easy to forget. I've got a few songs from years past that I can't figure out how the heck I played them either without being a contortionist...

This year I know I did a crap job of noting (er..not noting) what miniak synth settings I used on songs. So I have no idea on certain effects I added. Ooopsies.

So glad you figured it out @stevenwesleyguiles !!

• @rainchaser  Mar 8

Sounded like D7sus4 and C to my ears. I also loved that chord progression and remembered it from hearing it from this song! https://youtu.be/gKdQDrh8yF4

• @sapient  Mar 8

@stevenwesleyguiles I feel your pain! When I was prepping to go to the studio to finalize the last Abomnium album it too me two months, working a couple of hours every night, to transcribe just 8 songs... And that was typically just using two or three note chords in standard tuning!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 9

@metalfoot LOL! That would be fun, and probably a total train wreck! πŸ˜€
    @sapient DUDE. Your tunes are INSANE! My brain would explode.

• @julesbf Mar 14

@stevenwesleyguiles I am exactly the same and have never managed to train myself to get any better at keeping notes. I wrote a load of FAWM stuff a few years back in DADGAD (which I had never used before or since) and have absolutely no idea how to play the songs as I made all the chords up on the spot. I like the idea of recording the fretting hand, might give that a go @devin

• @fuzzy  Mar 14

And this is why I stick to C, G, and D. πŸ˜€

• @scottlake  Mar 15

Ok. I have to commit to going back through my songs and writing out the chords at least. I capoed on one song but can’t remember which one. Must. Do. This.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...