Help me name my new genre?

Skip to the bottom

• @songsville  Mar 7

I wanted to come up with a name for a new genre -- where there is no repeated chorus, ie not ABABCB but ABCDEFG

This is already known as through-composed but that's not very hip and the 'composed' part sounds a bit pretentious.

In these days of short attention spans where I for one only listen to the first verse and chorus of most songs I think I'm onto a genuine thing here with rich, dense continually changing music.

I change genres a fair bit too, with folk, jazz and rock in the same song but that's not the vital part I think.

The songs are the usual 2-4 minutes and not in odd-time.

So what to call it? Patchwork? Thru-clectic? Microprog?

Ideas welcome ... ๐Ÿ˜€

PS I'm not fishing for comments!

• @francessmith Mar 7

I wrote a song that did that, this fawm, too. It was about a dream. If I remember correctly, it only went from A to E, though. not as far as G.

It wasn't really a patchwork song, I just did it because it seemed to flow along nicely with constantly changing chord sequences.

I like the word flow, and the word sequence, they sort of sound nice, they could be combined, to make a name, for a new genre, but I'm not sure if they mean anything. Not that that matters................ but.

Maybe "Thru-flow" might work, but I don't really do this naming thing, otherwise I'd have a cool id for my fawm profile, not my real name.

• @zxcvbnm  Mar 7

AlphaGamma but that is probably my nerdish scientific background resurfacing. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @devin  Mar 7

If itโ€™s evolving (keeping some element from the A to the B, such as chords/key), then perhaps โ€œMorphโ€.

If the changes are more abrupt and not related, then maybe โ€œJumpโ€ or โ€œShiftโ€.

?

• @devin  Mar 7

@postcardhelicopters I need to write 14 songs with that... awesome!

• @songsville  Mar 7

@devin You're on to something there. My changes are abrupt, changing instrumentation, key, genre, tempo etc. Someone last year said it was like watching TV but with someone else using the remote to constantly change channels .... so yeah I like like both jump and shift ...

This word we're looking for is really a modifier more than a genre perhaps, so you could have jump-folk or shift-rock ....?

Jump does imply some kind of dance though, and this is not dance music ... ?

@zxcvbnm I like alphagamma too though it's not very self-explanatory

@postcardhelicopters not really my orbit but I do like writing prequels ... ๐Ÿ˜€

@francessmith I like the 'flow' part, that's a nice sounding word...

• @francessmith Mar 7

@songsville If you were going to do another song in this newly created genre, what bits of the original song would remain the same?

Would it be the A,B,C,D....sections, or the jumping around in instrumentation? or what?

• @kevinemmrich  Mar 7

If the lyrics are strictly "conversational" or non-metered or non-lyrical, it could just be called prose. If it is lyrical (but still non-metered) in nature, maybe just "stream of consciousness".

• @ianuarius  Mar 7

Roosterbuckle

• @tiller2  Mar 7

Fantasiart?

after fantasia, "a musical composition with a free form and often an improvisatory style. a musical composition that is based on several familiar tunes. a thing that is composed of a mixture of different forms or styles."

@songsville I remember your songs as standing out for this quality.

• @songsville  Mar 7

Thanks for your ideas, folks.

@francessmith All my songs are in this genre. So they all have ABCDEF and jumps in instrumentation,key,tempo ...

@tiller2 Fantasia is a lovely phrase though its meaning is mostly implying improvisation, whereas I write all the parts first.

I'm liking 'Collage' at the moment ... @mikedebenham came up with it. Collage-folk ... hmmm ...

• @tiller2  Mar 7

I was coining "fantasi-art" or artifice, not simply "fantasia." But it's your genre, my friend! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @scottlake  Mar 8

Please provide a link with your most representative song in your genre to be named

• @yam655 Mar 8

Smaller users of non-repeating songs could be called "commercial" because the difference between a commercial jingle and a song is that the commercial is just like a song, but a song repeats three times. This makes a commercial about a minute in length and a song around three. The Resident's "The Commercial Album" did this, and was originally released on vinyl as its own top 40 list.

• @francessmith Mar 8

@songsville Collage folk is a lovely name for a genre.

• @klaus  Mar 8

Warmgun ( as in that Beatles song with similar structure ).

• @siebass  Mar 8

Phase-shift

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...