A milestone... and FAWM deserves so much credit!

Skip to the bottom

• @barbara  Mar 4

In one week, on Saturday, I am going to be doing something I have never agreed to do before. I'll be singing a song at my friend's very small wedding. She requested "Give Yourself to Love" as performed by Kate Wolf. I'd never heard it before, so I've learned it. Her teenage son and another dear friend will be supplying really great dual guitar backing and supplying their Peter and Paul to my Mary.

I just want to share my gratitude for this community, because this would have been unthinkable for me to consider when I first found FAWM in 2010. I'd been playing since my early teens, but I was so ambivalent about being heard. It is through this challenge and 50/90 that I have gotten comfortable with risking it and really blossomed. So now, when my dear friend asks me if I will sing at her wedding, all I felt was "Yes!" FAWM, this is your fault, lol!

• @airbagtester  Mar 4

Congratulations! 😁 You're gonna nail it.

• @kahlo2013  Mar 4

Awesome! What a special event!

• @nancyrost  Mar 4

That's great, Barbara! I can totally hear you singing that, too. πŸ˜€

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 4

Awesome you will be wonderful

• @barbara  Mar 4

@airbagtester , @kahlo2013 , @nancyrost
    Thank you for your support!

I hope this will be a stepping stone to being willing to share some original songs publicly -- that's a first yet to come!

• @zecoop  Mar 4

Wow @barbara - That is very exciting and I'm sure you will do a wonderful job. How exciting. FAWM did something similar for me when I started in 2011, when I took some of my songs and played/sang them at open mics. Never ever had done anything like that. Terrifying, but so satisfying.

Have fun!!

• @tcelliott  Mar 4

Awesome! Go get 'em, girl.

• @toms  Mar 4

Fabulous! We want video! πŸ˜€

• @barbara  Mar 4

Thanks, @cynthiawolff & @tcelliott; taking in your encouragement!
    and yeah, @zecoop, interesting correlation between "terrifying" and "satisfying" isn't there? I think that's the lesson.

• @barbara  Mar 4

@toms: good point! I'll have to see who has any storage left on their iphone; i know i don't, after this FAWM!

• @andygetch  Mar 4

@barbara you have a beautiful voice and the love will flow through πŸ˜€

• @owl  Mar 4

@barbara that's fantastic, congrats on this milestone! Happy that we as a community could help make it happen. You're a great musician and I'm glad the world gets to hear that.

• @sherrycanary  Mar 4

Congratulations.
    You will be fabulous.
    You ARE fabulous

• @barbara  Mar 4

@andygetch, @owl, @sherrycanary
    Thank you all for building my confidence over time, and for cheering me on in this special case too!
    😊

• @cts  Mar 4

Congratulations, @barbara! That is all kinds of wonderful! Since discovering FAWM, I've also blossomed and started playing more in front of audiences and not being afraid of not being able to "keep up" with the musicians. It's a great time for you!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 4

FAWM has this effect on people! Congratulations! How exciting that a song created her will go to make someone's wedding a special day!

• @barbara  Mar 4

@stevenwesleyguiles
    Almost. She selected a song by another artist. The triumph was that I didn't back down from her invitation to sing, period. I haven't been a willing performer. When people want to hear my songs, the best I usually can do is press the play button on my demo, and even that was progress. But I aim to keep climbing the ladder of realized personal expression. Thanks for your support!

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 5

@barbara I'm dumb!! I obviously didn't read your first post closely enough. Either way, how awesome that FAWM gave you the guts to move out of your comfort zone like that! πŸ˜€

• @barbara  Mar 5

@stevenwesleyguiles - exactly!

• @klaus Mar 6

@barbara You have such a nice voice! It's almost a crime against humankind if you don't sing in public, like every day.

• @fearlessflight2014  Mar 6

That’s beautiful! I’m glad that this community helped in some way.

• @devin  Mar 6

Wow @barbara ... this is great.

And I know you will awesome it. I find your voice top shelf!

• @barbara  Mar 7

Thank you all for that amazing support and ultra encouragement! I'm getting excited about it!

• @tiller2  Mar 7

A wedding...I am so happy for you πŸ˜€ And for FAWMers, who will feel a bit of collective joy in your progress.

• @pcob1993  Apr 10

Wow Barb,... I find it hard to believe you've never performed... I love your songs and style, they'll be standing on the tables throwing roses.... you'll crush the gig.... congratulations.
    Pearse

• @pcob1993  Apr 10

Wow Barb,... I find it hard to believe you've never performed... I love your songs and style, they'll be standing on the tables throwing roses.... you'll crush the gig.... congratulations.
    Pearse

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...