Bard Cards (Songwriting Prompt Card Game)

Skip to the bottom

• @ianuarius  2 weeks

So, based on FAWM d20 (and some encouragement from @brrrse I started to make a design for a card game of sorts, where you draw cards and make a song based on them.

Here's a sample:

So now I've gotta come up with different cards for it. Here's a list of the first batch of 18:

If you have ideas for the cards or names or what they do, I'm all ears for suggestions!

• @brrrse  2 weeks

These are really cool! @ianuarius ! Thank you for tagging me, but this is all you! Own it!

• @barbara  2 weeks

Eye-pleasing AND inspiring! I had no idea you had these talents too! That card by itself could be a challenge thread. I'll be excited when you have these available.

• @ianuarius  2 weeks

Here's a few new ones:

• @alyxanderjames  2 weeks

OMG, this is wonderful. I would pay money for these!

• @nancyrost  2 weeks

What a cool project!

• @ianuarius  2 weeks

@alyxanderjames you may get your wish 😁

• @ianuarius  2 weeks

Ok, here's the first batch of cards. Anything you'd want to have more of, or...?

I think the first printable set is going to have 108 cards. So, 5 more like this.

• @ianuarius  2 weeks

How's this...

I'll draw a card about the person (or songwriting persona) who gives me the best card idea. 😁

• @brrrse  2 weeks

Those are fantastic!!! and I'd love to see some FAWMers contribute ideas 😀 This is really cool Ia!! I cannot wait to have a deck!!

• @owl  2 weeks

@ianuarius how cool!
    How about separate Lyrics and Music decks so you can draw ideas from both or neither as desired?

How about: borrow an out-of-key chord (my favorite), alter the number of bars between chord changes or the length of a measure, harmonize the vocal or a lead line with a different instrument, write a verse from a different character's point of view?

You should also maybe look at the Weekly Challenges from this year and past FAWMs for ideas.

• @nancyrost  2 weeks

I've created a post listing previous Weekly Challenges, in case that's helpful:

• @ianuarius  2 weeks

Oh btw, I'm not going to credit anyone giving me ideas, no matter how good or how plentiful. It's just such a hassle and I'm so lazy that it would just bury this project altogether. Hope you understand. Maybe if I'll get a secretary. 😁 If you still want to offer ideas, free of attribution, just CC0, for me to use in any way I like, fire away!

@owl I gotta think about that lyrics deck idea. Currently, I think the cards really build around the "Theme" idea and that you can always build things around just getting more theme prompts.

I can think of a few lyrics-only ideas, but if you have them, then I'm sure I could include some as like "artifact cards" or something. 😀

@nancyrost That is super helpful!

• @mattfoole 2 weeks

This is great. I could do a whole 80s album using these cards!

• @ianuarius  1 week

Here are some new ones. 😀

• @songsville  1 week

Nice work! Please steal from my 50 tips video

Edwin's Top 50 Songwriting Tips
    01 Boxify your titles
    02 12 Box Your Album
    03 Album Per Quarter
    04 Moodboard
    05 In Parallel, Several on the Boil
    06 Partial Rhymes
    07 Interesting Time Signature
    08 Spotlights
    09 Accidental Note
    10 Accidental Chord
    11 Sing! No Instrument or Chords
    12 Speech-Derived Rhythm
    13 Try a Mode
    14 Improvisation from a standard
    15 Write down the melody notes
    16 Placeholder Nonsense Words
    17 Minor
    18 Same Chords Verse and Chorus
    19 Octave Melody
    20 Break
    21 Pedal Tones / Drone
    22 Penta No 2nd/6th m or no 4th/7thM
    23 Rearrange Guitar / Volume whilst singing
    24 Looping and NoodleComping
    25 Dreams
    26 Use a Cool Chord: mM7, mM9, 11, Slash
    27 Use an Even Cooler Chord: 7b5, 7#9, 7+, 6/9
    28 FEEL IT!
    29 First Touch, First Word
    30 Short Intro / Chorus First
    31 Every 5 Seconds
    32 Ditch a Verse or two / Over-write

• @songsville  1 week

33 No Chorus
    34 Try a Key Change
    35 Hybridise Two Styles / Change a Song's Style
    36 Ventilated Rhythm
    37 Dynamics, Light and Shade
    38 Make the Chorus a Verse
    39 Alt Tuning
    40 Children's Song
    41 Riff / Motif
    42 Through-Composed
    43 LandSong
    44 Lyrics First
    45 Poem
    46 Instrumental Chorus
    47 Congruency Test
    48 Eyebrows / Ham it UP
    49 Audience Participation
    50 Object Writing / Object Poeming

• @tcelliott  1 week

Nice list, @songsville.

• @ianuarius  1 week

@songsville Indeed an amazing list! I'll be going through this and see if I'll be switching things around with the base set.

If the bas set sells well enough, I'll be doing a lyrics cards expansion set. 😮

• @metalfoot  1 week

This is REALLY a great idea.

• @tcelliott  1 week

@ianuarius and @jendistad - I don't think it'll work the way I want it to, but you know what would be cool? If these were sold on the Fawm merch site. I wonder how much work it would be to do a FAWM edition (just having the FAWM logo or lettering somewhere on the art. Might be prohibitive. And unnecessary.

Just a thought. You can ignore me now if you'd like.

• @ianuarius  1 week

@tcelliott I could definitely make maybe a few FAWM exclusive cards that are only included in the decks ordered from the store. I think it's a great idea, but it's a bit of a logistics hassle, I would imagine.

• @coolparadiso  1 week

This is good on so many different levels. Awesome idea and the cards look great!

• @tcelliott  1 week

@ianuarius It would probably depend mostly on how they are produced. An on-line store such as we discussed earlier would probably prevent the Fawm store from carrying it. If one were to invest in production and shipping then it would be easier for the store but more time/money invested.

But if you end up going with an on-line, in demand production service for the decks, you could have a special fawm edition that had a few Fawm only cards (be cool if you had like Morph or Antie Sin or Exquisite Corpse cards of some sort) with a small surcharge that you would then donate to fawm. Reduces your risk and still makes it available.

• @ianuarius  1 week

Here's the second batch. Four left.

• @tcelliott  1 week

Sweet! You used reversed audio. I didn't think it'd make the cut.

• @johnstaples  1 week

@ianuarius this is such an awesome idea! When can I buy my deck???

• @ianuarius  1 week

Thanks @johnstaples 😀

I'm trying to get all the cards done in about two weeks. Not sure if there's a process to getting them on sale, but hopefully this month.

• @johnstaples  1 week

I want a deck!!!

• @ianuarius  1 week

I wrote two versions of a basic rule set for the game that you may or may not use as you prefer. Gimme some feedback, please. 😀

Ideally I'd like to have the rules to fit a single card in the deck.

Official Rules (verbose)

Bard Cards are designed to be songwriting prompts. There is no one correct way to utilize them; you decide what works for you. Here is one idea to get you started:

Each card can have multiple prompts, such as theme, challenge text, and additional rules (such as tempo and time signature).

Shuffle the deck with as many cards in it as you'd like.

Start your song by drawing two cards and combining their themes together. The first card's theme is the main theme of the song that doesn't change. The second theme is a sub-theme that you may change with every new card you draw.

Draw a card from the deck after each section (such as intro or verse).

Pick at least one prompt from each card you have drawn, whether it's a new theme, a chord progression, or something else. You can even use all of them.

Official Rules (brief)

Bard Cards are designed to be songwriting prompts. There is no one correct way to utilize them. Here is one idea to get you started:

Each card can have multiple prompts (theme, challenge text, and additional rules e.g. tempo).

Shuffle the deck.

Draw two cards and combine their themes together. The first theme is the main theme of the song that doesn't change. The second theme is a sub-theme that you may change.

Draw a card from the deck after each section (e.g. intro or verse).

Pick at least one prompt from each card you have drawn.

• @tcelliott  1 week

I like the first one, and think it explains it well enough. But I would include the second as "Here's another idea:" Ie., include both.

• @ianuarius  1 week

They're the same thing. Other is just shorter. I'd like to have as little text as possible.

• @tcelliott  1 week

Well, the second one says the bit about combining the themes better than the first, I think. Simpler is better.

• @ianuarius  1 week

I decided that @songsville will get the card made after him, if he wants. Just let me know if you have an idea for the name and/or picture.

• @ianuarius  1 week

Here are a few fun ones from today:

• @tcelliott  1 week

Looking good, Ia, and you're producing them at a remarkable rate.

• @metalfoot  1 week

1 word: Kickstarter 😉

No, I'm sure that would be way more hassle but you've got something really cool and amazing going here, Juha. I'm really blown away by your creativity.

• @tcelliott  1 week

Honestly, that wouldn't be a terrible idea. You'd have to get an idea of production costs and shipping and all that. I would imagine to get it off the ground you'd only need a modest campaign. And you could judge how much interest based on the success (or lack thereof) you had with kickstarter. And you'd always have the option to fall back on one of those production on demand sites (like the one songfight! used.)

• @barbara  1 week

Not only do these look like they'll easily kick off inspiration, your sense of humor showing through makes it fun to just browse through them.

• @snoozin  1 week

I think kickstarter is a viable idea.

• @ianuarius  1 week

Thanks everyone. Kickstarter is really the only viable crowd sourcing platform out there. Unfortunately their requirements make using it illegal in Finland.

• @metalfoot  1 week

Well, shoot. Having said that, there are a lot of reputable custom card deck manufacturers out there. Pick one, order 100 decks to start with and based on the FAWM response, you're probably half-way there already.

• @ianuarius  1 week

More like 20 decks. 😁 I don't have any room for storage.

Anyway, here's the next batch of cards:

• @metalfoot  1 week -- print-on-demand manufacturer, you can set your own price/margins, don't have to have inventory sitting around

• @ianuarius  1 week

@metalfoot Yea, we were looking at that with TC. Looks promising. Thanks. 😀

• @ianuarius  1 week

I made a tiny little app for Windows which allows you to shuffle and draw the current cards.

You might get warnings that it could be harmful, but that's because I literally just compiled the program myself and threw it to my website. It's not a "well recognized" piece of software and of course you should always be wary of such things. Just know that I at least didn't try to purposefully make malware. 😁

Here's a screenshot:

I might make an Android version at some point. I used wpf for now because I know it well and it allowed my to make a working version quickly.

• @metalfoot  1 week

I did get a warning, I overrode the warning, Windows ran an anti-malware scan on it and deemed it safe... for now... 😉

• @ianuarius  1 week

Ok, here's an Android version of the app. Had to get back to Java after a krhm... few years, but it seems to work fine. Let me know if you have problems. 😀

• @johnstaples  1 week

@ianuarius , tried to install. Allowed my phone to scan it was deemed safe. Then tried install...I have phone set to allow installs from 3rd party sources. But it finishes with "App not installed" message. Tried several times...same thing. LG G4 phone running Android version 6.

• @ianuarius  1 week

@johnstaples That's unfortunate. Somebody suggested that doing both V1 and V2 signature versions for the apk might help so I did another build with them:

Beyond that, I unfortunately don't have much time to spend on debugging as I need to get on with drawing the rest of the cards. 😀

Hopefully the fix helps.

• @johnstaples  1 week

Thanks @ianuarius ! That worked! These are delightful and I want a physical deck of them as soon as you get them ready for sale!

• @ianuarius  1 week

@johnstaples Glad to hear it! 😀

I'll get to work. 😁

• @timfatchen  1 week

I want a physical deck too. Will Pay Money.

• @writeandwrong  1 week

Very cool! I'd love a physical deck, @ianuarius ! These are genius! 😀Maybe you could work out something with the FAWM Gods to sell them in the FAWM Merch store 😀

• @ianuarius  1 week

@writeandwrong Thanks! I'm all for selling them in the FAWM store if it's easy to do.

• @writeandwrong  1 week

@burrsettles, a possibility?

• @ianuarius  1 week

Here are some more cards:

• @tcelliott  1 week

These are all well done.

• @mishykatz  5 days

I will buy a deck or decks...bring them on!

• @ianuarius  1 day

All the cards are now ready. Still need to proofread them and see if I want to redraw some really bad ones. Then I need a back for them and a logo and box art. And gotta figure out how the production end of things works. 😁

• @zoom  22 hours

wow ! Very cool ! 😀

• @coolparadiso  20 hours

the app is great it works on my android phone - but i have followed this thread since the start and i am in for physical deck as well. I teach songwriting at festivals and they would be great! might even drum up some more purchasers!

• @ianuarius  10 hours

Designing the card back and the logo is already done. 😮

• @tcelliott  8 hours

Dang, dude. You're rocking the card design.

• @ianuarius  8 hours

So finally something that I made that's not a complete disaster? 😉

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...