How are you sharing your music with non-FAWM friends?

Skip to the bottom

• @man Mar 2

Now that the dust is settling, I'm excited to show off my creations to friends outside the FAWM community. I wonder if any of you know of a website that can help me do the following:

I would like to have some kind of secret URL that I can send to people I trust, so they could see a list of all my FAWM tracks and listen to them either in sequence or a la carte.

I don't want to release my tracks anywhere publicly just yet, as I have plans to improve some of the recordings over the next month or two. This is just for a few friends, some of whom I'll be asking to play on the later, improved versions.

I'm open to options that cost money, as long as they're not terribly expensive. I've had problems sharing Soundcloud links with people on mobile devices in the past, so I'd rather avoid anything involving that site. I think the closest to what I want is basically a "hidden" album on Bandcamp, but I can't find an option for that.

Any ideas?

• @rainchaser  Mar 2

I texted the link to my song from my phone to my friend's phone, and he listened. It's that simple! 😀 I'm not sure if that works for you, but it worked for me!!

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 2

not many of my friends seem to be interested in my songs
    outside of Fawm...I post them on Facebook and I don't think many people listen, not even the friends I have had for 20 odd years...
    not the support and love I get here..

• @roxya Mar 2

This year I gave my family a link to my FAWM profile. They listened as I posted my songs and I've gotten some feedback. Must say its pretty scary letting people you know listen to these.

• @mdavisto  Mar 2

Both SoundCloud and YouTube support private links.

• @sheilerk  Mar 2

I'm old school, and still put songs I want to share on a cd, and only give them to people who ask. Or if it's just one specific song they're interested in I'll send it to them through email.

• @mdavisto  Mar 2

I remember this. CDs. Those are the round things, right? You need a special machine to play them.

• @butlertron Mar 2

Don't usually do anything with them unless I finish-finish them, and then the family gets to hear.

• @adforperu  Mar 2

I've been sharing each song on Twitter and Facebook, and quite a few have liked and commented which is nice. Will be sticking it all on Bandcamp as I always do!

• @chipwithrow  Mar 2

Great thread - something many of us think about, right?
    I don't even tell most people I know that I do FAWM, 50/90, and the Facebook skirmish group. Everyone who knows me well knows I'm a musician, though.
    But in a few days I will post a link on Facebook to my songs - no mixing or editing needed. And maybe a few friends will listen to one or two.
    I'll perform a few, at the yoga studio we own or at the outdoor market where I'm the music organizer or at a friend's house for our monthly gathering. And then I get to say, "Yeah, that's one of mine."
    And maybe finally I'll put something on that Bandcamp page I've had for six months. Again, a few will listen, at least for a minute or two.

• @tcelliott  Mar 2

@man I was gonna mention soundcloud but you've already stated your dislike for it. (and I can understand why.) I wonder if the issue was soundcloud or the person, though? If you had a private link on soundcloud (so only a person who has the link can listen) and someone else had it and shared it that's on the person not soundcloud. And that could happen with any link on the internet.

What I've learned to assume (and it's not 100% true) is that there is so much music on bandcamp/soundcloud/reverbnation that no-one (or nearly no-one) is gonna find my stuff and listen unless I share it. It will literally sit there with 0 plays for years. I will say with soundcloud's auto play that sometimes I'll get a random play, but only if my track is public. Setting it to private stops that.

sorry I'm not more help.

• @sph  Mar 2

I have them on a USB stick in the car. So the family might hear them when they use the car or they just skip to the next folder 😁

• @zecoop  Mar 2

Unsuccessfully... 😉
    Like @adforperu I put some on Facebook and other places as FAWM goes along, and like @cynthiawolff said, I get very little response, which is ok. I don't expect most people to understand music that is not coming out of the radio or is well known. My FAWM songs are generally complete and I won't go back to produce them further, so they all get put on a Bandcamp album each year the first few weeks of March. I look at them all as productions in time, that I can look back on and see where I was at. 😀

• @davidbreslin101  Mar 2

Private links on Soundcloud work- I've not done it myself, but have had a friend send me a preview of some tracks from his upcoming album. Failing that, there's always Dropbox. Though I think the person you''re sending it to needs to have Dropbox too...

I mostly share my songs at open mics and the very occasional gig. (That's one reason why I avoid massive multitracked arrangements. The other is that I can't do them!) Plus the whole "post to Soundcloud, share on Facebook" thing, which gets a very slow trickle of listens. I recorded an album at a small local studio, but can't really afford to repeat that process yet. It has a whole bunch of FAWM 2014 songs on it.

• @spunky4455 Mar 2

I polish up my faves, add video, then share on my YouTube channel, which I then link to Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter. Not on FB.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...