Waves: Anyone used NX virtual mix room or Vocal Rider?

Skip to the bottom

• @siebass  Feb 23

I've been thinking about picking up the vocal rider for a while now, to save me time on fixing levels on vocals while mixing. Anyone here have that plugin, and if so, thoughts on how well/poorly it works?

Similarly, I don't have a well treated room with monitors for mixing (and am unlikely to acquire one anytime soon), so I was looking at waves NX virtual mix room plugin. Anyone here have that plugin and like/dislike it?

Thanks in advance.

Addtl info:

I've got an assortment of headphones I like to mix in (Mainly my AKG k-701s and my AT-M50x's, switching back and forth), and usually play my more important mixes (sorry FAWM, not usually for you) on a few devices to check the resultant quality, but most books and articles I've read talk about the importance of room conditioning and decent monitors. Was curious to know if anyone had good/bad experience with the NX plugin.

• @tcelliott  Feb 23

I bought the vocal rider on sale, but I've only used it a couple of times and I'll be honest, I've not dialed it in. So I'm no help. I do know I used it on a couple of tracks and when I had trouble dialing it I just stopped using it. But that's more because of workflow than the plugin.

• @jerrypettit  Feb 23

I use it on every song I do. I just use the default--there's no "dialing in" that I need to worry about. My vocal bus is 1) Vocal Rider; then 2) Neutron; and finally 3) Izotope Nectar, which has a bunch of presets with the various compression/de-esser/delay/reverb effects needed. LOVE what Vocal Rider does and it goes on sale from time to time--I think I got it for about $59--maybe less.

• @bootlegger Feb 23

Vocal rider is nice. Used to use it a lot at the studio. It's good for little moves and a general evening out before compression. For anything drastic it's not as good. Larger moves will have to be automated but it's definitely a nice tool.

• @johnstaples  Feb 23

I use it on every vocal track. I just pick a preset and use it. Curious about where to put it though. I do it like the manual says,

"Insert Vocal Rider as the last plug-in on your vocal or vocal group track."

But some folks are putting as first plug? Why is that?

• @tcelliott  Feb 23

I could see using it before compression. Even out the track a bit with rider then the compressor doesn't have to work as hard so it would be less obvious.

I wonder if I was trying to get it to do too much. Use it as a compressor. I'll have to play with it again.

• @man Feb 23

I've never used it, but from one description: "All you need to do is set the target range of the vocal level in relation to the rest of the mix"

So, you can use Vocal Rider to adjust the vocal's output level based on the dynamics of the overall mix. If you put a compressor _after_ the Vocal Rider, wouldn't you actually be _undoing_ that? VR adjusts your vocal dynamics to match the rest of the piece, and then the compressor just squashes those dynamics out?

• @siebass  Feb 23

My normal flow is manually adjusting using envelope filters in audacity on the vocal levels to even out the vocal. This way you avoid the color and potential squashing of a compressor while still getting an even vocal take. It takes more time than just running a compressor, but IMHO it sounds better as a result. YMMV.

The process can be fairly time consuming on some vocal takes. (Some daws will let you set an automation to coincide with the fader on your vocal channel, and then you "ride" the fader as the song goes, adjusting the automation to the levels you want). Once the vocal has been "ridden" or automated, you will have a much more even performance, so a compressor should add less color to the take, as the waveform is more even by then and there is less work for the compressor to do.

@johnstaples I didn't realize it was supposed to go in last; logically it made sense to me to go in first to get the levels right before messing with the signal; I'll have to check out the manual.

• @siebass  Feb 23

Perhaps the plugin is more geared toward getting the vocal to poke through the mix at the loudest points and kick back at the quiet parts....

• @johnstaples  Feb 23

@siebass I'd love to know what you figure out. I really know nothing about most of my plugs! I add 'em, choose a preset and if it sounds good I save it to mp3! 😀

• @siebass  Mar 26

Sale on some waves plugins; I finally picked up vocal rider, as well as a tape saturation (j37), a guitar emulator with some stomps/amps(GTR3), and Reel ADT for that Beatles double-tone and also just to mess around with other vocal double tools.

• @lvgd09 Mar 26

@siebass I was going to say Waves is having a huge sale right now but I guess you already saw it. $29 for Vocal Rider is a good deal as it originally was sold for around $249.

• @siebass  Mar 27

Yup! Thanks for thinking of me as well. I just happened to check the site for a sale, and they got me for a few additional plugs. I tend to not take the time for real doubles, and I was curious to see what effects I could get with ADT as well as creating distortions/changes with a the J37 on a copy of a vocal track. Excited to try out the new toys.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...