Acoustic Instruments Exquisite Corpse

Skip to the bottom

• @metalfoot  Feb 18

The Exquisite Corpse. Such an artform. Such a joy to make.

And since we seem a little shy on corpses this year (I mean, the FAWM forums aren't exactly a mystery novel workshop, if you know what I mean) I thought I would start one.

Theme: Acoustic Instruments (minimal production) Exquisite Corpse

How it works:
    The first musician in the chain will create a song fragment of about 1 minute in duration. They will then pass the last 10 seconds onto the next person in the chain, who is supposed to try to pick up and carry forward with another 1-minute segment where the previous person left off (much like the drawing game "Exquisite Corpse", where you only get to see a bit of the lines of the previous section). As each section is completed, one FAWMer (the stitcher-- in this case, @metalfoot) takes all the pieces for assembly at the end into the final song.

As it's already February 18, if we're doing this, I'll start with the first piece by tomorrow!

Any takers?

• @ballyhoot  Feb 18

I’ll be your huckleberry

• @metalfoot  Feb 18

So far we have:
    1) @metalfoot -done
    2) @ballyhoot -done
    3) @jamkar -done
    4) @darcistrutt
    5) @wistah
    6) @marvsmooth

Any more takers?

• @jamkar  Feb 18

Me please!

• @darcistrutt  Feb 18

I’ve never tried one. If it is truly minimal production I’d like to join!

• @metalfoot  Feb 19

@darcistrutt As minimal as minimal can be. πŸ˜€

• @sph  Feb 19

Count me in

• @wistah  Feb 19

I've never done anything like this. So count me in!

• @metalfoot  Feb 19

OK, my opening minute is DONE... remember, when you're done your minute, send the full minute to me (for stitching), and the 10s to the next person down the line. Paging @ballyhoot -- i'm linking you up with 10s on your wall, pronto!

• @ballyhoot  Feb 19

My bit is done and sent to @metalfoot , with the last 10 seconds sent to @jamkar .

• @jamkar  Feb 20

Done. 10 sec. sent to @darcistrutt . Full file to @metalfoot tomorrow.

• @jamkar  Feb 20

Full track sent to @metalfoot

• @marvsmooth  Feb 20

Is this still open for people?

• @metalfoot  Feb 20

Ah, why not? 😁 You get to be the anchor leg, @marvsmooth

• @marvsmooth  Feb 20

Okay πŸ˜€

Thank you

• @jamkar  Feb 20

Resent 10 sec. to @darcistrutt . #InternetwoesinruralAmerica.

• @darcistrutt  Feb 20

Got it this time @jamkar !

• @nateger Feb 20

Count me in!

• @lowhum  Feb 20

I'm in!

• @metalfoot  Feb 20

We'll start a second round, mayhaps, because approx. 7 mins is long enough for song 1!

Round 2:
    Stitcher: @metalfoot

1) @nateger -DONE
    2) @lowhum - DONE
    3) @izaakalexander -DONE
    4) @ballyhoot -DONE
    5) @sph -DONE
    6) @tan482 - in progress
    And with 6 participants in Aco2, we'll call it closed.

• @metalfoot  Feb 20

In other words, @nateger can start on the second corpse whenever he's ready and then pass his 10s off to @lowhum.

• @tan482  Feb 20

I'm not really sure how this works but I'm interested and would like to try?!

• @izaakalexander Feb 20

I'll play, put me in round two!

• @darcistrutt  Feb 20

I've sent my full one off to @metalfoot and the final 10 seconds off to @wistah . Sure hope I'm doing this right! It's always fun to experiment!

• @izaakalexander Feb 20

@tan482 It's really fun... someone sends you a tiny snippet of music, and you create a segment, 1 minute or so, built of that idea. Then send your last bit to the next in line. Someone stitches them all together into a continuous piece of music. They're a fun ride to listen to... our own @plainwhitetoast has a great video explaination of this:

https://youtu.be/gfApZVCjcGY

• @tan482  Feb 20

Awesome, I'm excited! 😁

• @ballyhoot  Feb 20

If you want another, I could go at the end.

• @metalfoot  Feb 20

@ballyhoot Sounds good to me!

• @sph  Feb 20

Me too...

• @metalfoot  Feb 20

ACOUSTIC CORPSE 2 is full.

• @wistah  Feb 21

I've received @darcistrutt 's 10 seconds, and I will get to my minute this evening. Expect it in the morning, @metalfoot (I'm operating on Eastern US time).

• @metalfoot  Feb 21

Wow -- these corpses are rolling along at great speed!

• @wistah  Feb 21

OK, I just emailed a 10 second bite to @marvsmooth, and the full minute to @metalfoot. I've never done this before, hopefully I'm not screwing it up too bad πŸ˜€

• @nateger Feb 21

@lowhum Okay, I sent my clip and full minute to @metalfoot. Excited to hear what comes next πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 21

@metalfoot - I'll do this (AC1) in the morning, Alex. I hope that's okay. I took a while doing the Kaiju Corpse piece earlier.

@wistah - Thanks Sean, I'm sure it'll be fabulous! 😁

• @lowhum  Feb 22

I hope I can do my part tonight (GMT+2 )!

• @tan482  Feb 22

Ooh awesome #lowhum, i am next in line! 😁

• @marvsmooth  Feb 22

@metalfoot - my β€œbit” is a β€œbit” looong!

I’ll send a private link to it, and you can use whatever you want of it.

• @lowhum  Feb 22

Ready! send last ten sec to @tan482 and roughly a min to @metalfoot!

• @tunecat  Feb 22

Count me in too.

• @metalfoot  Feb 22

Acoustic corpse 1 is completely done and I'm trying to stitch it up as best I can...!
    😁

• @marvsmooth  Feb 22

@metalfoot - sorry

• @metalfoot  Feb 22

@sph Sorry I missed you in the first corpse. Completely an oversight on my part.

• @metalfoot  Feb 23

ACOUSTIC CORPSE 3: Beating The Deadline

1) @sph -DONE
    2) @oblivionratula -DONE
    3) @andygetch -DONE
    4) @metalfoot - DONE
    5a) @cnidaria
    5) @tunecat

• @marvsmooth  Feb 23

I had no lyrics from @wistah to go on, so I made something up

• @wistah  Feb 23

Sorry @marvsmooth , I was in the same boat.

• @darcistrutt  Feb 23

I must have telepathically passed @jamkar β€œdream” to you through my β€œooo” @wistah . πŸ€—

• @sph  Feb 23

@metalfoot nevermind, I'll be in Aco2. Just put me also in round 3.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 23

Me for Round 3, please!

• @metalfoot  Feb 23

@marvsmooth @wistah There is no apologizing for strange twists in the story because of lack of lyrics in acoustic corpse! LOL (That's kind of how the game works, which is why @ballyhoot had no idea I was talking about bobsledding. The last line I sent him was totally ambiguous that way)

• @jamkar  Feb 23

Big Thank You to Alex at @metalfoot for not just stitching, but also kick starting this whole corpse. Yippeee!

Lyrics:
    Layin' low with a suitcase in my hand
    Thinkin' bout those times me and you were dreamin'
    Ohh, Ohh
    We were dreamin'

• @metalfoot  Feb 23

Hey @tunecat - if you want to start out with making a minute or so of a song go for it, since you get to start AC3! πŸ˜€

• @tan482  Feb 23

Sorry guys I may not be able to get to my bit till Monday.. busy weekend..hope that's not too late?

• @metalfoot  Feb 23

@tan482 If you like we could move you down in order?

• @andygetch  Feb 23

oh, a corpse? Sure!

• @izaakalexander Feb 23

Yes, @tan482 , we can skip you for now and put you back in on Monday. I just need the last 10 seconds from @lowhum . Let me know @metalfoot ... I'm pretty sure I can get it done within 24 hours. (although it's bedtime for me now. πŸ˜€ )

• @metalfoot  Feb 23

Works for me! @izaakalexander you're up next-- @lowhum, send your 10s to @izaakalexander please?

• @metalfoot  Feb 23

ACOUSTIC CORPSE 3 is now closed. Hopefully we can get these done before the end of the FAWM month!

• @tan482  Feb 24

Thanks guys, happy to be skipped for now. So does that mean I'll get a snipper from @izaakalexander ?

• @lowhum  Feb 24

Sent to @izaakalexander

• @metalfoot  Feb 24

@tan482 Or possibly even someone else down the chain, depending. We do want to finish by Wednesday at the latest!

• @izaakalexander Feb 24

Okay, I've got it, and I'll record tonight --- 6 to 8 hours from now --- any chance I can get the last word from the last line of lyrics?? @lowhum ?

• @lowhum  Feb 24

@izaakalexander - sorry, mate there's been a mix up - that was @natager's last seconds I sent you - I just saw it and sent you mine!
    And it's basically an instrumental corpse - you could add some lyrics if you like - I guess

• @izaakalexander Feb 25

Okay guys--- sorry for the delay, I've got a segment completed that follows @lowhum, and a new song idea from working with @nateger 's part due to the mixup. So hopefully I'll get two songs out of this instead of one! I'll send my last 10 seconds to @ballyhoot and the full part to @metalfoot in a few minutes!

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

Yeah, thanks for not going dual-channel bifurcated corpse on me, @izaakalexander!
    I've moved @tan482 down to the end of Aco2. Wondering if @tunecat's started on Aco3-- time's disappearing rapidly!

• @sph  Feb 25

In that case i can start with a small acoustic tune

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

Please do, @sph - and if @tunecat starts one we'll worry about it later. πŸ˜€

• @sph  Feb 25

Ok, last 10sec sent to @oblivionratula

• @ballyhoot  Feb 25

I should have my bit completed by this afternoon....

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

@ballyhoot Pass your 10s onto @sph when you're done as I've bumped @tan482 down. Thanks!

• @tan482  Feb 25

No worries @metalfoot - shall wait to hear from @sph 😊

• @oblivionratula  Feb 25

@sph Got it! Kids are asleep and my wife took my portable recorder, so this will have to wait until this evening, but I should get it on to @andygetch tonight.

• @ballyhoot  Feb 25

I finished my bit for Acoustic #2 . Sent last 10 seconds to #sph and the full bit to #metalfoot.

• @metalfoot  Feb 25

Next year I'm starting this game in the *first half* of FAWM. Less time crunch! Aco2 is making great headway though!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 26

Family stuff put me behind the 8 ball - sorry for the delay. @metalfoot and @andygetch you should have the links you require from me.

• @metalfoot  Feb 26

@oblivionratula As a family guy myself... never apologize. It's part of the reality of family! Thanks. I'll pick up the pieces later.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 26

Is someone doing a third?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 26

... I’d be surprised if there’s time!

• @metalfoot  Feb 26

@marvsmooth Aco2 and 3 are travelling in parallel at the moment....

• @andygetch  Feb 26

Will do my bit tonight

• @marvsmooth  Feb 26

@metalfoot that’s good!

• @sph  Feb 26

Last 10sec of my Round 2 part sent to @tan482
    @metalfoot I'll send you the full tune later

• @metalfoot  Feb 26

So it looks like Acoustic 2: Wooden Boogaloo is nearly done with just @tan482 to finish up! I'll start at stitching later this evening. 😁

Acoustic 3 still has a couple more legs to go but I'll try to be quick with my turnover time -- @tunecat -- are you ready to roll?

• @andygetch  Feb 27

sent my AC3 bit to @metalfoot

• @metalfoot  Feb 27

Well... it looks like Aco2 is all present and accounted for so I guess I know what *I'm* doing this evening...!

• @metalfoot  Feb 27

Acoustic Corpse 2 people: ya'll are nuts. And I mean that in a nice way.

• @metalfoot  Feb 27

Hey @nateger and @lowhum and @izaakalexander and @ballyhoot and @sph and @tan482 -- the corpse is stitched. What a ride!
    http://fawm.org/songs/87039/

• @ballyhoot  Feb 27

This was great! Thanks everybody for participating and extra big thank you to @metalfoot for being such a faithful and most excellent stitcher!

• @metalfoot  Feb 27

Acoustic 3: Wait and See is just waiting on one last piece... and if it doesn't come in by tomorrow morning, I'll do a version with my piece as the final chunk.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 27

I love comments like "ya'll are nuts." Someone called me a loon the other day. Highest honors possible. I agree with the assessment, BTW. You Wooden Boogaloo folks are nuts.

• @jamkar  Feb 27

@oblivionratula we squirell -ed all our nuts away for Winter!

• @cnidaria  Feb 27

@metalfoot -- If it the final piece doesn't come in (or if you want a final-final piece), I'll jump in for some last minute corpsing!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 28

So, #3? Why am I nervous about this?

• @metalfoot  Feb 28

No need. It will get stitched up later today. And posted. Because I will it to be so. πŸ˜‰

• @cnidaria  Feb 28

@metalfoot -- Emailing the final piece over right now!

• @metalfoot  Feb 28

All parts present and accounted for! Corpse 3 will be animated later tonight!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 28

\m/

• @metalfoot  Mar 1

Dear Corpse 3 folks,
    I regret to inform you all that Audacity hard crashed on me and I lost all my work on Corpse 3.
    So this is about 30 minutes later being posted because I had to rebuild Corpse 3 from scratch. And then my internet connection died at home and I had to reboot my modem and router. Fun!
    Fortunately, I did a better job the second time.
    Hope you enjoy, @sph, @oblivionratula, @andygetch , @cnidaria and @tunecat!
    http://fawm.org/songs/88555/

• @oblivionratula  Mar 1

Thank you for sticking it out. I really enjoyed being a part of this.

• @moonraccoon  Mar 5

This was my 1st FAWM, and I just learned the exquisite corpse project. I hope to catch the next EQ at FAWM 2019, in a more timely fashion πŸ˜€

• @ballyhoot  Mar 5

@moonraccoon , Check out the 50/90 music challenge in ... July to September? I think that’s right. Run by fawmers and is basically just a long form version of fawm, so you see a lot is the same people. I believe they do exquisite corpses then, too.

Fiftyninety.fawmers.org

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...