Things You Hate About FAWM

Skip to the bottom

• @oddbod  Feb 2018

Enough of all this lovey dovey stuff. A thread for people who prefer to vent about stuff on St Valentine's Day
    Let's hear about the little things that get on your nerves about FAWM, like...

When you post a song and then someone comes along and dumps about 20 of their songs in one hit, shoving you down or off the front page.

• @quork  Feb 2018

The pressure to achieve results! ...no wait, I love that about FAWM.

• @jwhanberry  Feb 2018

It's only four weeks long. But that's part of what makes it so special.

• @brrrse  Feb 2018

I hate that I feel guilty for all the housework and real life that gets pushed aside in February for FAWM - well..actually no, I don't mind it that much at all - I hate housework.

• @iamthe666  Feb 2018

I'm thinking that by now a lot of FAWMers are getting a good hate on for @iamthe666 :^)

• @billwhite51 Feb 2018

i dont like weeding through all the skirmishes when im looking for songs to listen to.

• @iamthe666  Feb 2018

Hey, @brrrse... we came down to a beach house on Kiawah Island for the entire month of February. I personally have gone "off the grid" in that I only check emails (to make sure stuff back home in Canada is alright) and am on FAWM.ORG

My wife is pretty good to me about all this. She lets me know important news issues. If I want to know the weather, I look out the window... that kinda low level stuff.

But yes, I've never felt this close to a focus on issues since back in the 70's when I was involved in a major software upgrade on an IBM 360/75 at the University of Waterloo. At the time that mainframe was the largest one in north America (for about a week -- when some US university got the same mainframe with 64K instead of our 32K).

• @bitshred  Feb 2018

Hmmm, I guess I don't really "hate" anything about FAWM. I guess running into writer's block, or something?
    People posting 20 of there songs in one hit, is a bit much. But it doesn't affect me. I just get overwhelmed, for instance, when people have WAY over 14 songs. Like, what I am supposed to do? Which one(s) should I listen/read? It doesn't seem in the spirit of FAWM. But it doesn't affect me.

• @soulbird Feb 2018

people who write songs because they can rather because they need to

• @airbagtester  Feb 2018

When I write and record a song for 2 hours, then mix it for another hour or so, and then listen to it again and realize I wrote almost the exact song a few FAWMs ago 😞

• @johnstaples  Feb 2018

I hate how the website cuts off my posts mid senten

• @brrrse  Feb 2018

@iamthe666 it's always good to get away - you gotta earn the downtime by working hard in the uptime. 😀 have a great FAWM.

• @errol Feb 2018

"I'm thinking that by now a lot of FAWMers are getting a good hate on for @iamthe666 :^)"

Ha. You should see my profile. 😀

I don't hate, but there are few things I miss.

I used to have a fun game with @devin where we would see how many locked threads we could get in before the lock. We're not playing anymore, and he's still winning.

I'm sad I don't get to do as many collabs as I once did. Those were fun.

Oh, I know. I hate the PreSonus I have. I hate it with a passion.

I missed out on some drama. That makes me sad.

I used to be able to bypass the 2000 character limit. But then they fixed it so I can no longer do that anymore. I was able to get 4k-5k characters for a song comment once. That was glorious.

I'm sad they don't have video replies on Youtube. Those were amazing.

I'm sad I've never done a collab with @burrsettles. Although, I can understand the pressure.

• @valeriecox  Feb 2018

That my day job doesn't give me the entire month of Feb to FAWM.

• @iamthe666  Feb 2018

@valeriecox What's the problem? FAWM at work... but quietly (work on lyrics and stuff :^)

• @valeriecox  Feb 2018

@iamthe666 You mean instead of playing in the forums like I am certainly not doing now? 😝

• @olisiatonight Feb 2018

I really need a "reply" button and direct messages

• @bithprod Feb 2018

When you're filled with self-doubt because you only got one or two comments on what you thought was a great song.

When you really like somebody's song, but refrain from commenting because that person has already received a gazillion comments stating exactly what you were going to say.

• @leah0k  Feb 2018

Hate is kind of a strong word because it’s not like I’m that upset over it, BUT I “dislike” that when I am using the mobile site, the song tags don’t show up on the songfeed page. I am on the go most of the time, so listening to music on my phone is how I do it a lot and I wish I could easily choose a song to listen to that i know will fit my mood.

• @brrrse  Feb 2018

@bithprod I get that . Hugs.

• @stephenwordsmith  Feb 2018

Sometimes, in the early years, you forget what the correct suffix is.

• @devin  Feb 2018

@errol I was in a locked thread just yesterday. It’s my superpower.

I hate being so confrontational. 😞

But I love the pink!

And, what the pink does to people.

Because, confrontational.

• @errol Feb 2018

@devin yes. I know. I was reminiscing about our contest in the FAWM slack chat. And then I saw you got in the locked thread. And beat me again. *sigh* Those were good days.

• @devin  Feb 2018

You just need patience, @errol. Eventually you develop a keen eye for spotting people that are clearly wrong on the internet.

Also, work on your timing and bridgework. This thread title isn’t enough yet to lock the thread. We need to build on it, to slightly shift the focus of the conversation towards something that *will* lock it out.

This is best done when only a few people are left. That lets negative energy echo back and forth until it escalates.

So, now that the initial flurry of people flocking to the subject of the thread is dying down, it’s a great time to try and use this momentary lack of forward momentum, and put in a controversial tangent.

For example, there are many fine FAWMers that have commented so far.

Which begs the question, who do you think is the best FAWMer this year?

Who is the worst?

(See how easy it is when you follow the formula? You’re welcome!)

• @brrrse  Feb 2018

@devin I see what you did there. 😝

• @ericdistad  Feb 2018

Please don't make us lock threads. 😀

• @devin  Feb 2018

See @errol? We're already on the radar!!

• @wacha  Feb 2018

@valeriecox I have a lot of downtime at work and little supervision. I'm able to listen and comment on songs throughout the day.

When I have the chord progression and at least the first verse of a song written I'll record it on my phone so I can listen back to it and type up some more lyrics. It looks like I'm doing work but I'm really FAWMing.

• @visiblydistorted Feb 2018

...how the world expects me to function normally during February!

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 2018

Not enough of my songs are writing themselves.

• @soulbird Feb 2018

true dat tuneslayer!

• @sherrycanary  Feb 2018

My place looks like crap

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 2018

I am loving/hating every single minute of it...
    highest highs to the lowest lows, to struggle and satisfaction...
    I love the bright smart brainy funny people here
    I love the idea that if I'm feeling a bit "off" I come here for a song,
    a laugh, or to simple marvel at this amazing Roadhouse Flying Circus Musical mayhem that ensues...

• @errol Feb 2018

@ericdistad @devin Lock! Lock!

• @devin  Feb 2018

Sorry @errol ... if @ericdistad locks the thread now, you get a point on the scoreboard, for participating in a locked thread.

So I’m going to be all positive and happy and stuff, and smugly enjoy my commanding lead.

*smiles sweetly at @errol, and hopes @brrrse doesn’t think I’m losing my edge*

• @brrrse  Feb 2018

@devin 😉

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 2018

I hate the eejits trying to make life difficult for the mods 😝

• @sunnymae  Feb 2018

The End

• @johnstaples  Feb 2018

@sunnymae for THE WIN! That is truly the only thing I hate about FAWM!

• @errol Feb 2018

@devin I'll get you next time, Gadget. Next time.

• @kristian  Feb 2018

I hate how I *think* I can manage without much sleep and then fall asleep during a meeting at work and have to work up some lame «blame the kid» excuse

• @krayzie003  Feb 2018

I hate going into the studio to do real work (like updating my show schedule, making flyers or entering set lists into BMI live) and instead spend all my time writing and recording new songs.

Im goin to have a lot of catching up to do next month.

• @negasi Feb 2018

I hate how I don't comment enough. Must fix that tomorrow. Im bad for listening to songs while doing stuff and not commenting, cause said doing stuff. Will remedy. 😁

• @captainvulpine  Feb 2018

Sometimes I feel like I'm sitting in on a meeting in my old secret society only to realize my legacy was barely a blip on the radar, and they're not only going stronger than ever, but rendering my offerings long since superfluous. Which honestly, is good. Ha!

• @timfatchen  Feb 2018

I hate not being able to be here this year.

• @torniojaws Feb 2018

Well, generally receiving just one or two comments per song 😝 But I guess it's my writing's fault 😀

• @cicpisces Feb 2018

I hate all this talent highlighting the lack of my own.

• @adforperu  Feb 2018

I hate the amount of microwave meals I'm having (having said that, although I don't do weight watchers, their range is both delicious and on offer)

• @oddbod  Feb 2018

@adforperu angling for a sponsorship?

• @shortdan  Feb 2018

Is it @adforperu? Which supermarket? I'm on my own for 9 days from tomorrow! Ha!

• @johnstaples  Feb 2018

@adforperu , have you tried these yet? 😀

• @vomvorton  Feb 2018

I hate being ill during FAWM! I probably haven't given enough sympathy during previous Februaries when people have complained about illness sapping their ability to write and record stuff, and for this I am retroactively sorry, because it's REALLY ANNOYING.

• @adforperu  Feb 2018

Haha, @shortdan in panic mode! Asda - £1.75 each instead of £2.50 I think... they're all around 300 cals each and not full of salt! I've had about 5 different ones and have liked them all. @oddbod, I promise you I am not looking for sponsorship from the world's best weight loss company, with their incredibly innovative SmartPoints® system and many thousands of testaments the world over.
    (knowing my look they'll probably send my one of disgusting-looking shakes)

• @konemake  Feb 2018

I hate the lack of time and energy during february for various things. There is just too much going on at same time and I just don't have time and energy for everything.

• @adforperu  Feb 2018

@johnstaples mmm, looks good

• @oddbod  Feb 2018

@adperu that's good to know.
    I personally would never consider selling myself to any sponsor

• @tinattd  Feb 2018

Hating my exquisite talent for procrastination. It's 11.30pm and I've had all day free, tinkered, noodled, but not come up with anything.

• @nuj4x Feb 2018

So far I guess I don’t hate anything about FAWM.

I’m having a lot of fun with it and being my first year, I think I’ve over extended myself 😞

I’m trying to come up with a killer beat for @bithprod but I haven’t been able to do synth work that pleases me 😞

Heck, haven’t even made a drum beat for @freebeats yet! I can do that in like 15 minutes!

So maybe I guess the thing I hate about FAWM is I don’t have more time to dedicate to it? But wouldn’t that be more something I hate on my end? It’s not FAWM’s fault I don’t have more time to frolic in the forums and make a collab with every Tom Dick and Jane lol

But when FAWM is over I’m concerned I’ll have like, post FAWM sadness because it’ll be over 😞

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 15

@cicpisces yeah I get that !!
    @nuj4x yes that does happen, especially the first year..

Lol tide pod hot pockets!!!

• @pipewrench67  Feb 15

What is happening in the kitchen.
    @stephenwordsmith -iasis is always a safe bet.

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 15

One of the things I've decided I dislike is the fact that I don't know nearly as much about Band In A Box as I will two years or even probably six weeks from now. I spent most of yesterday evening trying to put a demo together and appear to have recorded an abridged version of 4' 33".

And the songs STILL aren't writing themselves. Although one is peeking out from underneath the covers and then quickly ducking back underneath.

• @kenjku  Feb 15

Definitely the pressure to get things done and the time constraint!

• @halfwalk Feb 15

I lose steam at the halfway point. I see all these people cranking out songs like it's this burning itch from hell to get as much music out as possible. It makes me think about my first FAWM 9 or 10 years ago where I did 31 songs. Nowadays I'm lucky to get more than 5. I get jealous of everybody here, and I start to question my worth as an artist. I fear I've become one of those people @soulbird mentioned. I've got this cozy little home studio, and over 15 years worth of collecting plugins and sounds and learning new techniques. But for the past few years, every FAWM reminds me that there's some kind of spark that's not there anymore, as if I forgot why I started doing this music thing in the first place. Every February, I get this nagging voice in my head that tells me to give up, that this whole thing isn't for me. And yet, every year, I come back and try again, even after having promised myself I'd quit. FAWM is the psychotic ex-fling whose annual booty call I can't refuse.

• @davidbreslin101  Feb 15

That after a while on the site my brain goes "Thousands of people and songs! Thousands of people and songs! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!" and I have to go watch the wallpaper for a bit. (UPDATE: it curled another 0.4mm this week!)

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 15

@halfwalk your story reminds me of a story Arlo Guthrie tells (and I'm paraphrasing, it sounds better with his timing). He says when he first started out he would write dozens of songs at a time but only like a word or two here or there. Then later on he would write a song a week and maybe like one line out of it. Eventually he'd get to where he'd write a song every month or two and one of the verses would be good.

"Nowadays I don't write any songs," he concludes, "but I like 'em a lot."

• @iwilleatyou Feb 15

Not sure if this has been mentioned and I hesitate being the "jerk" but those who don't reciprocate are cocky. I don't hate fawm because of it but these folks are weeds here. It takes time to listen to someone's song(s) and for them not to give back is shit. AND, leaving a message on someone's soundboard does not count as reciprocating BUT, ok....it's better than nothing. It's one thing to not bust zongs or make general comments....but to not give back by reciprocating? That's cocky. And don't vomit any excuses like the person's songs aren't your cup of tea. Don't fawm if all you want is your ego to be fed. As bad as I am making comments in general (commenting on songs that don't deal with reciprocating) and busting zongs, I put everything down to reciprocate. Always.

• @halfwalk Feb 15

edit. Nevermind. Everybody fawms differently. Not worth arguing over. Give people some more time to reciprocate; the site stays active for more than just 28 days 😀

• @iwilleatyou Feb 15

@halfwalk Good point! Didn't think about March commenting. I'm always out by Feb 28/29. Maybe I should hang out a bit too and comment.

• @tcelliott  Feb 15

@iwilleatyou - Nice can of worms you've opened there. *evil grin* I'll just say that if I've commented on your song then don't feel the need to comment back unless you want to.

• @mantra  Feb 15

Maow aow, meh. Meow hhwh. 😾

• @captainvulpine  Feb 16

I have some words on the subject, certainly.
    But I'm just gonna have to agree with @mantra on this one.

• @cloudboy  Feb 16

My running and exercise go way down. And this year I stopped shaving. ::I have to interact with people::

• @francessmith Feb 16

@iwilleatyou On reciprocation, if someone is new they most likely don't know the etiquette rules, or culture, so I tend to let them off. Some might even be uncomfortable commenting.

I also have an obsession with the idea of efficiency when it comes to comments. I like to leave mine where they are most useful, which is on songs with least. This may involve zong busting, but it's just how I am. I never bought a U2 album, because so many other people did, so they didn't need me to buy one too. There are of course many other valid reasons, but that was mine.

However that means, I often enter the space where there are people who just aren't good at commenting back, because some people, who get very few comments, just aren't very good at it, so I must likely won't get one back. I don't mind that either. They are just who they are.

But there are a few people, who get quite a few comments, who seem to be, shall we say, a little "selective" in who they respond to. This is not, in reality, a

• @francessmith Feb 16

I got cut off, I'll leave you guessing what I was going to say. But fawm is not really benefited by this, I know people are busy, but..............

• @mikeskliar  Feb 16

ah, the age-old comments thing... yeah. Having done FAWM since about 2006 , I should be used to the ebbs and flows of it all. The first week or so, there's great energy, and songs I've written and posted have gotten many comments. Starting usually around the end of the second week (ie, about now, the 15th as i write this) commenting falls off a fair bit ,which is hard for several reasons-- one being that sometimes my favorite stuff I do is in the second or third week, when I'm still in the songwriting groove, have 'gotten out' the bad ideas and gotten into the good ones, have remembered how to record half-decently, etc. case in point, just posted this big rock and roll production number I did , would love lots of comments, but sadly, there aren't many- and i suspect with the onslaught of another 'super skirmish weekend', the song will rapidly fade from view. Mixed feelings 'bout the skirmishes, too, but thats for another topic/time...

• @johnstaples  Feb 16

FAWM = write songs! Comments are just a bonus. (But yeah, I love 'em too and they have almost stopped by today!)

For me, skirmishes are the only way I'm gonna get to my 14 this year so I am all in for them!

• @totallynotaspambot Feb 16

Spam and spam bots. Beep-bup!

• @adforperu  Feb 16

I try to reciprocate every single comment, but it doesn't usually happen until March for me. It's a matter of time.. I have quite a large watchlist and I struggle to keep up to date with that at the best of times. But I'll get there! And I'm sure a hell of a lot can relate to that.

I would personally say that the best you can do both morally and with time constraints, is to "pay it forward"... there's plenty of songs I've commented on who have no reciprocated, but that's fine... maybe they're doing the same method elsewhere?

• @lemonstar Feb 16

February! Why February? It never works out for me - virtually any another month would suit me better - couldn't we have at least one more month at some other time of the year so people have another opportunity to do it if Feb doesn't suit them.

• @vomvorton  Feb 16

@lemonstar if you're more of a Summer songwriter then 50/90 might work for you? it runs from 4th July to 1st September: http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/

There's also a November Album Writing Challenge which is fun, although it doesn't have as much of a social aspect: http://nasoalmo.org/

• @gemhughs Feb 16

Only one complaint so far... When the audio player thingy doesn't respond and there's no "Download MP3" button available... so there's no way to hear the song... Fortunately it doesn't happen often

• @writeandwrong  Feb 16

I love that FAWM is during one of Maine's "igloo" months, but I hate that February is so short and flies so fast.

I could fill a notebook of why I love FAWM! <3

FYI: I would like a Like button or love a Love button on here! 😀

• @tcelliott  Feb 16

Oh, @writeandwrong Don't open a SECOND can of worms. The infamous like button debate of aught12 nearly brought me to tears. *evil grin*

• @writeandwrong  Feb 16

@tcelliott "evil giggle" hehehe

• @errol Feb 16

While we're talking about a 'like' button, you know what I would like?

A 'listened" counter. 😀

• @iwilleatyou Feb 16

I really hate that FAWM allows people who can't sing to sign up.

• @jack Feb 16

I got way too annoyed when I logged in to see week 3's challenge being another thing that I tend to aim for most of the time. I'm not being challenged by the challenges.

This next bit isn't so much a thing I hate but because there are so many songs being written I would love a radio station type thing that played me random songs from certain genres depending on what mood I'm in. Is there something like that I've just missed?

• @cblack  Feb 16

I know this is probably going against the grain, but I haven't been commenting on songs this year. Last year, I commented on over 100 in the space of about 8 days, and it contributed to major burn out, which made me quit FAWM after just slightly over a week. This year I decided to take it a bit easier.

Honestly? I don't care if people don't comment on my songs. I cherish the comments I *have* gotten, but that's not why I'm doing this. I'm here for the kick in the pants to actually get stuff done. As far as participating in the community... I'm quite active on the forums, supportive, asking interesting questions, helping out where I can, and generally just being pleasant. 😀

But yeah. I might go and listen to (and comment on) a bunch of songs in my watchlist in March, but not during February. So yeah - I know that this is unthinkable to many FAWMers, but it's working for me so far. And I repeat: I'm not here to get comments on my songs, so I don't feel so bad about not commenting.

• @airbagtester  Feb 16

@jack you could try an anti-week3-challenge where you write a song that has no conversation at all, like just descriptions of things, or a monologue? Or you could write a song about the 1974 Francis Ford Copolla film, "The Conversation." That might not be helpful advice, I'll admit 😁

• @airbagtester  Feb 16

I hate that there are only 2 weekends left (the best time for me to write and record) and one of them is already filled up with non-FAWM things I have to do 😞 Should have planned for that... my initial strategy of 4 songs per weekend was working great until recently.

• @iwilleatyou Feb 16

I really hate that FAWM allows Beatles fans in here. Fuck the Beatles.

• @vomvorton  Feb 16

@jack you could write a song about conservation from the point of view of a typo?

• @quork  Feb 16

@halfwalk
    "FAWM is the psychotic ex-fling whose annual booty call I can't refuse." Seems to me you've got a great idea for a song right there.

• @joshlevitre  Feb 16

I hate feeling guilty about writing music

• @tcelliott  Feb 16

@jack - There is no radio station, but you can kind of sort of listen by genre. Click the tag of a song and it'll bring up all the songs with that tag as long as there are at least several songs that have that particular tag. And you can see the tags that have been used (at least a couple of times) here: http://fawm.org/songs/tags/ but shhhh, I'm not suppose to know about it.

• @lowhum  Feb 16

What's to hate? Hate is for the "the others" 😀) This is FAWM! You're here - you gotta love it! 😀) Hate leads to aggression and fear of oneself - are you afraid? are you aggressive? Go out'n' shoot yourself a couple of times and come back and write a song! 😀)

• @sueawesome Feb 16

i hate that I'm not a musician.. which isn't at all a hate towards fawm lol
    (I'm actually grateful every single feb that nobody has asked me to leave)

I hate how connected I can feel to fawmers because of their music and lyrics, etc, and especially comments back and forth and then come March 1 or 5th.. they are gone from my life for 11 months. again.. not really fawm directly but it is somehow a heartbreaking side-effect that I've always experienced.

@joshlevitre me too... every minute I spend on writing lyrics I feel tremendous guilt that I can't figure out how to erase (I try to hold to my logic that says.. this must be in my life because it's part of my core to do it and feel alive)

• @johnstaples  Feb 16

@sueawesome I have that same feeling after FAWM ends... 😞

• @jack Feb 17

I also hate it's not incredibly straight forward to reply to comments in forums, haha!

• @jack Feb 17

@airbagtester I am a fan of the anti-challenge! It was a bit more obvious with week 2, removed bass movement of any kind at least once. Will have to see how I get on with this new idea.

• @jack Feb 17

@vomvorton On that theme could also go for condensation maybe? Think conservation might be a better starting point. Lots of climate related wordplay about the conservation conversation perhaps? If I get a line that I like about it I'll see what happens.

• @jack Feb 17

@tcelliott Ooo secrets. Here's hoping this makes the experience even more wonderful.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 17

[mod] @iwilleatyou can we please stop with the comments trying to start pointless arguments, please? I assume it's attempted humour, but not everyone has the same sense of humour as you.[/mod]

• @nateger Feb 18

FAWM has become like Facebook in that I check it mindlessly throughout the day in the hopes that people have commented on my songs in the vain attempt to quell my insecurities...

*sigh*

Less about FAWM and more about me 😝

• @devin  Feb 18

Just an insecurity on my part, but I hate when I discover a cool FAWMer, I comment on a few (excellent) songs, telling them so... and they return the favour by stopping by my page... and they somehow listen to/comment on the one track that I really wish they didn't.

It's like walking to the bus stop in time to see the bus pull away.

😀

• @brrrse  Feb 18

***checks @devin 's page to see which songs I've commented on*** 😀

• @iamthe666  Feb 18

Hic! Oops... Hic... again. Drinkin'... I actually have the "SuperPower" of curing hic-ups (ask the cab driver in Vegas that I cured him of it -- the ride was free :^)

And, there were others I cured! And, that is just *one* of my SuperPowers :^)

I guess, what I should start by saying is that what I *HATE* about FAWM is that it is only for the month of February. Here we are, half way, and a bit more through. I've done my "14". I feel a release. Now, I can just have fun :^)

This is my first FAWM. I didn't think I could do it. My focus was on "doing it". So, I didn't be involved (participate) as much as I should.

That's my *HATE* of FAWM.

Next year, I'm coming back to just work with a lot of other people... and just have fun!

Don't get me wrong... THIS was an amazing experience!

Bri

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...