Mixing live recordings

Skip to the bottom

• @adforperu  1 week

After some advice. This is in relation to mixing a live recording (for later listening, obviously)

Basically, my old band did a gig last year and I got the audio from the sound desk, in separates. I'm happy with the mix generally, but when watched alongside the video, it just sounds too clean. It sounds more like a radio live session or something.

The issue was that there weren't any crowd/room mics.

So I need some advice really.. I'm going to play around with some convolution reverbs to get that roomy sound. Given that I'm just playing with the complete recording now, is there anything more I can do than that? For example, I did little to no mastering... is there certain EQing or compression that you'd do specially for a live recording.. I would assume as little as possible right?

• @ampersandman  1 week

Maybe play around with some distortion to give the whole sound more power, dirt and grit? I'd set up an aux track and route some instruments to it to try which ones could benefit from it, and maybe send that distortion to the reverb. I've never done a live mix, but that's the thing that comes to my mind.

• @zecoop  1 week

Reverb for sure... If you give the overall mix a bit, it will at least sound like it was in the room (albeit without much crowd). πŸ˜€

• @adforperu  1 week

Due to my own stupidity I no longer have the session file so all I can do is play with the overall mix, oops. But yeah, maybe saturated is a good call. And there is *some* crowd noise in there.. I tried to compare it to some TV performances (like bands on BBC Introducing stages) and it's similar, so not so bad

• @quork  1 week

In Elton John's Bennie and the Jets they added crowd noises (applause at the beginning, after the solo and during the outro; and clapping and whistles throughout the song) to the studio recording to give it a live feel. Is this an option? Listening to the recording there was also lots of reverb on the vocals and instruments.

• @devin  1 week

Re-amp it using speakers, a bouncy room, and a couple of mic’s.

Get it bouncing around good... bigger room is better, obviously.

Put the speaker in the farthest corner, Stick a mic in a stairwell, compress the heck out of that track, and blend it in.

LMK if it works for you... saved me a few times...

• @tcelliott  1 week

Might be the best of both worlds... you could try simply compressing the heck out of the non music bits to raise the crowd noise to as high a level as you can and then mix that in to the original track. It doesn't help during the songs, but it sure makes it obvious... I'm just throwing out paint to see what sticks. I like Devin's idea which it looks like he's actually used.

• @adforperu  1 week

Thanks all. @devin's plan would best if I had the time and patience, hehe. To be honest, I think reverb and boosting bass tones has made a tonne of difference. Clarity now not as good, but it gels better and doesn't look weird alongside the video.

• @devin  6 days

If you send me the track, I can do a take for you. I have everything all set up πŸ˜€

• @adforperu  6 days

Thanks for the offer, that's very kind @devin but I've already sent it back on to them now

• @alamous 6 days

1 .Get a big room.
    2. Set up a couple of speakers.
    3. Set up a stereo pair of microphones.
    4. Play your recording through the speakers and record the ambience.
    5. Mix in the fake room-ambience...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...