Why must you write? Why must you sing?

Skip to the bottom

• @phoenixash 1 week

I am an artist because I have a need to share who I am. To tell of what I know and what I feel. To seek the truth about myself and the cosmos, to spread it along. I am a singer because it's the medicine for my soul, when I do it all my doubts fade and I can simply be and it brings the enrapturing joy of being. Why are you?

• @ianuarius  1 week

I'm you.

And may I say, you're doing a wonderful job.

All the best!

• @nuj4x 1 week

I must write and create music because without it, I have no peace. I cannot sleep. I cannot function. Its just who I am.

• @tunecat 1 week

I think writing or creating music is how I achieve "flow" i.e its a state of pure being and as such I experience happiness.

• @barrygoldman  1 week

I like to make music, it's fun.

I like to be productive and to be making things all the time, so I must write to keep myself doing things.

• @whispermouse  1 week

I'd be making up songs in the shower anyway, may as well write them down.

Plus, live performance is addictive 😀

• @brrrse  1 week

thank you all.

• @darcistrutt  1 week

For me it’s about balancing the non creative moments. Creating makes time disappear for me. Much of my life contains stress and tension. When I’m creating I feel like I’m being carried in a relaxing flowing stream. When life is crazy and I don’t make time to create I feel less alive and more like a shell. I create my songs, I write, I paint and draw - all to attempt balance.

• @skylermf 1 week

Sometimes I feel less qualified because I don’t feel like I have some special message I was born to send to the world (although good on those who do - it’s always great to hear music with lots of meaning). I kind of just do it because I like to. And then I guess there was a point where I started calling myself a songwriter and I would feel like I was starving if I went a few months without writing anything good. I’ve basically made myself into an addict.

• @kevinmason  1 week

I didn't start even considering myself a musician until only a few years ago. I kind of gradually taught myself the guitar and started writing songs, almost without realizing it was happening, until a sort of pressure built up and I felt I had to share them, so I started going to open mics. I realized that I had needed a release valve of sorts and music became that valve. I'm not quite 30 not, and it's weird thinking that at 25 I barely considered music an important part of my life at all. Now I can't imagine life without it.

• @cblack  1 week

I don't know what else to do, and I really enjoy making music (most of the time). *shrug* I mean, obviously music is more important to me than that comment suggests, but that's the best answer I've got at this point.

• @metalfoot  1 week

I just like making music and it seems to like making me. 😀

• @misterd 1 week

Its a compulsion for me- part of who i am since a very early age . music is the one thing that has truly brought me joy in a life full of sadness and disappointments and highs and lows. In a way - good art and music comes through pain & suffering . Its when we feel things deeply that we must find a way to express ourselves , our thoughts , our feelings and everything ...before the dying of the light and the great silence comes to all of us eventually .

• @steffan  1 week

Total compulsion/addiction. I get very little satisfaction out of it and it generally takes a toll on me, but every time I quit, I wind up seeing the whole process with rose-colored nostalgia glasses and wind up back in the studio a few weeks later, only to have the whole process rip a little bit more out of me.

Good question.

• @oddbod  1 week

I'm fulfilling a need/urge within me to be creative.It's just a part of who I am. I'd still be recognizable as the same person if I didn't do it but there'd be something missing.

Also my other half has this ridiculous idea that it's cool and I have to keep up her delusion

• @corinnelucy  1 week

As a cynical 16-year-old, I figured I'd have more power to make money singing if I wrote my own songs too. Looking back I'm ashamed to admit that. It feels like came to this holy thing and tried to sully it with my impurity. I came away immolated and clean.

Fourteen years later, songwriting is my therapy, my source of self-worth, my way to make the world more beautiful, my solace, my diary... It's how I've made my best friends in the world, it's how I have a life outside of my job, it's my identity.

Well, this got dramatic. 😁

• @andygetch  1 week

It’s in me, it’s got to come out 😀

• @songsville  1 week

To try and come up lines lines as good as @phoenixash 's "To seek the truth about myself and the cosmos" ... 😀

If there was a 'Best Thread Thread' this thread would be on it right at the top ...

• @phoenixash 6 days

Thanks a lot for the very interesting answers

• @aeye 6 days

Cause I'll explode if I don't. Every so often I get this urge to just create. This is how I handle it.

• @debrandio 6 days

I haven't really participated in FAWM in years and basically gave away all my gear, reserve a couple guitars and my amp that I hardly played anymore. But I'm retired now and thought I should try, but @steffan right about there's not much satisfaction anymore and it take a toll on me. So I guess I don't know why I do this to myself...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...