Have You Made Yourself Cry

Skip to the bottom

• @brownium 1 week

I want to say from the start that I don't cry. Ever.

But I wonder if anyone else has ever written a song that made them cry. Maybe you cried while you wrote it. Maybe you wrote it, forgot about it, stumbled upon it much later, and then it made you cry.

There is some crazy meta-emotion that goes on when you find yourself moved by your own music. Or, I imagine it's like that. Nothing moves me.

• @nailcarelawncare 1 week

i don't cry at music usually, but i came damn close not long ago - my main income these days is music performance for children, and one of my coworkers is damn good at writing solo instrumental lullabies on guitar, and one particularly fragile morning he just sorta got to me. i don't think the kids or parents noticed, or at least i told myself that.

• @benjaminnolan 1 week

Oh yeesh, all the time. I have that really annoying thing where music has a physical effect on me, so sometimes it's just neck hairs on end, but other times I find it hard to breathe, or it makes me suddenly overcome with feelings. >.<

I find I'm on the verge of welling up all the time, especially when listening to loud music, and I write a lot of loud music that hits the full frequency spectrum. >.<

• @littlespiral 1 week

@brownium I just posted one a couple of days ago. I normally get very complex with my compositions, but this one is literally three chords and an extra layer in Ableton. But the song subject is about unrequited love and that's just a heartbreaking subject for me. I surprised myself by tearing up at the sound of my voice — in a good way. I normally am not a fan of how my recorded voice sounds. http://fawm.org/songs/80454/

• @darcistrutt  1 week

I do get emotional sometimes. I’ve already written one lyric that bothered me enough I don’t want to record it. The lyric begged to be written but it upsets me topically. If someone else grabs it OK but I can’t. I often journal-with-a-tune so feel the moment as real. The one this FAWM isn’t a journal one...just to be clear.

• @aprilm  1 week

I wrote a song in May 2016 - a break-up song to end a relationship. It took so many takes to record, it was actually crazy. I still cry when I listen to it even though six months after I wrote the song and broke up with the guy, we reconciled and have been together ever since...

• @debs  1 week

It's a good question, @brownium. I feel like if I cry while I'm writing something, that's how I know that it's one that I need to write. It doesn't happen very often but I'm working on one like that now, and I remember last year there was one song with @kristian that I sobbed all the way through writing, and that was my favourite one of the year.

• @siebass  1 week

I wrote a song last year about my brother's suicide. I still can't get through playing it without crying.

• @devin  1 week

Yes, usually the emotion is strongest when writing it, and less so when I go to play it.

Happens maybe once a year or so. And it’s a consuming type of writing when it hits.

Can be a happy or sad song.

• @aprilm  1 week

@siebass I am very sorry for your loss and I commend you for writing about it. I hope it was a healing experience for you.

• @bradbrubaker  1 week

Only once. It was a song written in tribute for a family member who passed very suddenly. Written for a previous FAWM.

https://bradbrubaker.bandcamp.com/tra...

• @iamthe666  1 week

Yes. When I had my 16 year old calico cat put to sleep I decided to write a song for her. It took me a year to complete. Several times while writing/constructing it I would stop, and break down and cry. After writing the song, I decided to do a video (a Zorro walking through our house). By then, I didn't cry anymore -- just a smile on my face remembering her. Here's the video I did:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGK2m...

• @kahlo2013  1 week

Oh G-d yes! Many such songs. But I cry at TV commercials that touch my heart and the site of new babies and symphonies when the strings swell and wrap around my heart. I write some lyrics that have some deeply personal backstories and they make me feel a bit but then when a collaborator puts is to music and I hear it for the first time I start sobbing...
    One of my first FAWM collabs was a lullaby I wrote for the 6 yo daughter of a dear friend, a single mom, who died. When I heard @the3queens demo I cried and cried - it still makes me tear up six years later...

• @unclephilly 1 week

This has never happened to me before, but this is my first FAWM as a parent and writing a couple of songs about my daughter has left me kinda choked up at times. A good indication that I'm being honest in my lyric writing.

• @brrrse  1 week

I used to cry after every song - a post partum kind of thing. FAWM has helped me past that, especially the skirmishes. I do cry after, during and sometimes before some of my songs - but I also cry at movies, commercials, leaves, clouds - I cry like a dog barks, to be honest, and for probably the same reasons 😀

But no, there's a certain cry when I know a song is good and I'm blown away at myself. it's celebratory. 😀

• @max  1 week

Not when listening but sometimes when performing particular songs live. The moment when you're on stage and you are thrown back emotionally to the situation / period you wrote the song about. Sometimes it's goosebumps, sometimes you feel tears in your eyes.

• @mkd  1 week

There’s a line in my Hurt Song where I sing to my sons: “one day you’ll feel to grown; you’ll deal with problems all alone”

That slightly chokes me up.

• @donna  1 week

Oh, yes. I've cried while writing lyrics (and then especially later once they've been gifted with music by my wonderful collaborators).

The first was about a British soldier who died aged 15 in WWI. (The lyrical story was from his point of view. The somewhat longish prog-rock song 'Old Enough to Kill a Man' was the result.

The second - partly autobiographical - was about the friendship between three primary school kids, one of whom died very young. 'The Dreeman Tree'

One was written following the death of an old and dear high-school friend of mine. 'A Cluster of Stars'

Another was after I'd had a dream about someone close to me when I was young; I then wrote 'All of the Trees'.

Yet another was written after I'd read the story of the body of a newly born infant being found in a bin full of broken glass in Den Haag. 'Safe from Glass' was the result (and set to lovely music by Pekko Kolahmeinen,whose FAWM name I forget).

And another, a lullaby, was written with the - largely lost - Australian Aboriginal culture in mind.

• @ianuarius  1 week

Almost. But that's because I was in a specific kinda mood and the lyrics somehow matched what I was feeling.

That makes me think tho. Should I try to make more songs like that?

I'm not a big lyrics person. Even with my own songs... I know they have lyrics, but I tend to just follow how the voice sounds and how well the melody harmonizes with the rest of the music.

• @chrishope  1 week

quite often .... . my second this year is a very raw true story. Lots of stuff hidden in my lyrics are a bit too personal and teary. i feel i need to grow to more universal lyrics .. feels selfish ? sometimes. too 'poor me!'
    @brownium love 'crazy meta-emotion' ....however

• @postcardhelicopters  1 week

So far this year, no.

In prior years of FAWM, and during the non-FAWM portion of the year?

Yep.

Sometimes the crying is because of sadness, but other times it's crying from a different place, that might be characterized as coming from a sense of musical beauty or transcendence or sonic euphoria.

But then, I'm a pretty emotional guy, in general, so it's to be expected 😀

• @tsunamidaily 1 week

a few times. a couple of songs about suicides of friends, one about a story my friend told me about her daughter while she was dying, and one about an article i read where the woman's husband had paid to have roses delivered on valentine's day every year, so they arrived after he had already died. only once have i cried over a story i made up, about a kid's brother going off to war and getting a letter from him after he had already been killed in the war. there are likely a few other that got to me momentarily, but those are the five times in over a thousand songs that i can remember crying from a song i have written.
    here's two of them:

.strawberries in the dead of winter:

https://soundcloud.com/tsunamidaily/s...

roses every year:

https://soundcloud.com/tsunamidaily/r...

• @wobbiewobbit  1 week

this year i both laughed out loud and cried while writing My Dad Was Cars http://fawm.org/songs/78273/
    fawm 2016 i wrote a song that started as a recurring dream weeks before as the chorus tune and concept and hook, it was making me cry at that stage and as i wrote it over quite a long time in fawm, i cried all the time, it just hit a spot. (other friends have cried at that one too. it is supposed to be a tear-jerker 😉 ) http://wobbiewobbit.com/a-z/lets-go-r...
    also totally with the goosebumpers. i get massive goosebumps all over when something hits a spot for me, actually it is a pain in the arse, i get it for the whole of february especially - when i get something that clicks and takes it a good direction, or i think of something emotional to me, or if i get a nice comment... i basically spend february like a plucked chicken! ( i have them now for daring to say all this!)
    Oh. yeah and last night i cried about my skirmish but that was just in a sulky stroppy "told you i'd

• @wobbiewobbit  1 week

be crap if i rushed TOO much!" way and hating posting (and leaving up there still) the experiment like some form of self-humiliation! ah well.

• @onewholovesrock 1 week

Yes I have. Writing songs about past friends and loved ones, past relationships, etc.

• @sunnymae  1 week

Yes...many times. If it's an intellectual exercise and comes out super great I'll just run around the house screaming..."you're a mother fucker!" When I feel as a channel for the writing muses from up above, and listen back in amazement, I have wept out of joy, wonderment and grace.

• @stuartbenbow  1 week

I have several songs like that. It’s usually either something I’m particularly passionate about that really resonates, or something very vivid on an emotional subject.

• @guatecoop  1 week

Great topic! I have to say that I am always looking to write music that moves ME. I am the listener who I care most about. Tears are not something that I experience much, but I always listen to my own music to make sure that it moves me somehow. If a song doesn't "get" me emotionally in some way, then I will probably scrap it.

• @oddbod  1 week

It’s happened a couple or so times, when I’ve been writing songs about my other half.
    The most recent time was my first song at this Fawm.
    I’m usually not that emotional though and certainly don’t cry often

• @ampersandman  1 week

I was welling up a little writing about my deceased uncle and grandpa three years ago: https://soundcloud.com/ampersandman/v...
    Mostly I'm too analytical writing and recording music. However sad the song might be, I'm actually having fun and enjoying it, that's why I make music.

• @visiblydistorted 1 week

Actually it's kind of the opposite for me... I end up writing so that I can get over it and stop crying. Writing it all down as a way of resolving it, dealing with it, and filing it away.

• @adforperu  1 week

Nah, not cried at my own music. I don't tend the cry at any music really, though have got teary-eyed at gigs many a time. As much as I love listening to music, there's nothing like seeing it live and being immersed. Jesus, I got teary-eyed during Kendrick Lamar's 'King Kunta' at the weekend 😏

• @izaakalexander 1 week

Singing will occasionally trigger a cry from me. When the song is new and cuts close to the heart, or occasionally during a random throwback or relapse to the heightened emotion. I can write these songs without crying, and play the instruments--- it's singing that will do it. If I can get through the song anyway, the performance is better for it.

• @vomvorton  1 week

My cat passed away last January and I wrote a song about his absence last FAWM, so yeah - took me a few goes to get through that one.

• @adforperu  1 week

@vomvorton, don't, you'll set me off...

• @vomvorton  1 week

New thread: Have you made @adforperu cry?

• @adforperu  1 week

Ha, @judypie could start that one. Or @degausser when he doesn't pass the fucking ball.

• @judypie 1 week

My songs make me cry all the time! But really just the emotions they stir up rather than the power of my music, ha! Yes, I like to make Adforperu cry too.. it takes ALOT.

• @adforperu  1 week

You pressed send too early, you meant to finish with "..of weaponry"

• @corinnelucy  1 week

ALL THE TIME. I know I've worked through something when I cry while I'm writing a song. It usually only makes me cry the first time or two that I play it though. I get used to it. I think it's helpful - therapeutic.

• @davidbreslin101  1 week

This has happened to me a few times, but not with songs that are particularly personal. The opposite, in fact. I'm not gifted with great natural empathy, but I try. Hard. Quite often in my songs I try to think myself into someone else's point of view. When it works, the emotional backwash can be quite intense. So I'll choke up when singing about the sorrows of a historical or completely fictional person.

• @bethdesombre  1 week

I'm with @wobbiewobbit : I can tell what the bits in my own songs that are the most effective/poignant are because I literally get goosebumps when playing them. That's my form of crying at a song.

• @andygetch  1 week

Yes

• @tuneslayer2018  1 week

Actually, just now.

http://fawm.org/songs/82441/

• @quork  1 week

Only once. In FAWM 2017 I wrote a song from the perspective of a guy whose family has been forced to flee their home due to violence. They're walking to the border, trying to avoid further violence. What got me was the strength and hope of the protagonist to get through this terrible situation, which could happen to any of us. I got choked up playing it.

• @mikeskliar  1 week

when I wrote the song "Ruth" in tribute to my grandmother, and all those jazz chords kind of came out at once, i think it was the most emotional i've gotten (for anyone curious, a new version of that song is in my latest bandcamp album 'whatever magic'- see my home page for link)..
    and my latest song here is more 'emotional' then most, probably had me a little 'ferklempt' as they say... http://fawm.org/songs/82437/

• @konemake  1 week

Yes, many times. Sometimes I make songs about things that are so awful and/or personal.

Sometimes my songs make laugh too and sometimes they make me really angry. When I was younger I tried mostly make songs that made me angry and I was hoping they would make other people angry too.

But back to crying: I think its a good to face bad things in life and if a song can help facing those things, then it's a really good song.

• @unkept 1 week

Last 50/90. My wife and I were living in Germany, we received news that her mom was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer. I wrote a song about it, cried while trying to record it. Had to take a second recording so it wasn't audible.

That was my last song for 50/90, as we uprooted, quit our jobs, and moved back to the US.

The good news is that my mother in law is now (after surgery and chemo) in remission. Hopefully this is the last of it for her.

• @writeandwrong  6 days

I have never cried while writing a song until FAWM 2018...wasn't even what I planned on writing for the skirmish when I had started it, so went in a direction I so wasn't expecting... so between crying and skirmishing at the same time, it's not as clear perhaps as it could be, but it was about my daughter and how hard it was when she had selective mutism for a year...I literally cried every night that year. I rarely cry, too...so to cry while writing a lyric was very unexpected...but the write brought all those emotions back.
    http://fawm.org/songs/78328/

• @acromie  6 days

I haven't cried over one of my songs yet, but I just posted my first song for Fawm, which happens to be a memorial. It may yet make me break down as I continue to work on it, but really only because I'm still grieving.

• @bmoscovitz 5 hours

Last year I wrote a tribute to my grandmother on the 10th anniversary of her death. Writing it I had to stop every now and then to breathe and dry some tears. Listening to it still gets me choked up!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...