Something I noticed about FAWM

Skip to the bottom

• @skylermf Feb 6

I’m new here, so it should probably be obvious to everyone else, but I just noticed there’s no “watchers” stat on profiles.
    This isn’t a complaint. Actually, this lack of a feature basically sums up why I love FAWM so far - it’s not a competition. It’s not about how many followers you have, it’s about being the best writer you can be and building friendships at an individual level.

• @kevinmason  Feb 6

I agree. I also enjoy the lack of a simple "like" button, as is the norm in so many forms of social media. It encourages more engagement with each others' works. Overall there's a really nice, friendly, non-competitive vibe to this whole thing that I appreciate.

• @kevinmason  Feb 6

If actually be curious about the history of this website and how much of it is similar or dissimilar to years prior.

• @sbs2018 Feb 6

I’m just so happy it isn’t on Facebook!

• @sailingmagpie  Feb 6

@kevinmason If you use the Wayback machine, you can see previous years:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/FAWM.org

• @sailingmagpie  Feb 6

I'm on my phone, so I can't fix that link but you get the idea.

• @brrrse  Feb 6

I remember reading that there wasn't a like button for that reason - because it reduced interaction. If you like something, you gotta speak up and say why. I love FAWM - it's the safest place on the internet - whether you're famous or can't carry a tune in a bucket.

• @odilongreen  Feb 6

As a relatively long (5 year) "veteran," I am delighted that there is no "watchers" stat or "like" button or anything like that, for the very reason @skylermf and @kevinmason say: this is a feature, not a bug, that helps keep things friendly and focused on personal goals rather than "competition" or doing "better" than someone else. I think it would be a real loss for FAWM to ever move away from that (not that there's any indication that it ever will, but people suggest / request those supposed "improvements" with some regularity).

• @kevinmason  Feb 6

@sailingmagpie yes I did get the idea. Was able to check it out a bit. Neat, thanks.

• @complexissimple Feb 6

I can't seem to find the list of who I'm watching though, which could be useful.

• @sailingmagpie  Feb 6

@complexissimple Go to FAWMers and there's an option near the bottom of the list.

• @oddbod  Feb 6

At one time you were able to see who was watching you but this was removed a few years ago.
    You still get a notification when someone new puts you on their watchlist.

• @mrmule Feb 7

the only thing I miss is the chance to reply to comments, because I feel embarrassed when I discuss my own stuff on someones soundboard.

• @johnhudome  Feb 8

Well said.

• @captainvulpine  Feb 8

It's honestly a godsend that there aren't so many features on here. Even compared to a few years ago, it has much more of a social media feel than the cult freakshow of times long gone.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...