FAWM Over Party London - 18 March

Skip to the bottom

• @karan  Feb 3

FAWM has started and time will fly, therefore I'd like to ask whether there will be a FOP this year - preferrably on the weekend of March 16-18, because that's exactly when @sentense and myself will be on your isle. Oh, it would be sooo lovely to see you all again! πŸ˜€

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 3

If that weekend, preferably the Sunday, as I have a gig on the Saturday.

Updated with details:
    2pm - meet at Cavendish Arms for pre-FOP food, drinks and chatting.
    4-7pm - we have the back room at the Cavendish Arms
    after that - we head to Stage Door, behind the Old Vic near Waterloo (the pub; don't try to actually go through the stage door to the Old Vic) for their open mic.

Who's bringing what?
    Helen - I shall bring my foldy guitar, which is very cool, but not the best sound, a bass, and some random other instruments that I shall decide upon.
    @andybalham - electric guitar and effects
    @karan - guitar and percussionist with related percussions 😝

• @karan  Feb 3

Sunday would be great!
    Where is your gig? I'd love to come if it's not too far away!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 3

Cambridge. We have available accommodation if you'd like to come, and it's only about an hour's drive from London (or a bit longer to south London)

• @chrishope  Feb 3

we'll all jump the stage like the end of band aid

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 3

I'm up for it if around... was so much fun last time... and the waterloo open mic as well!

• @djohnson Feb 3

I'm up for it! Sunday works for me...

• @tomslatter  Feb 4

Sunday 18th March is good. Did we like last year's venue? What was that called again?

• @pooka Feb 4

I can't do Sunday March 18th... I'm away all that weekend. 😞

This would be a shame, as it's the only chance I ever get to play live music.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 6

Is anyone willing to organise? I (a) don't live in London anymore and (b) have done my time as London FOP organiser 😝

• @johnnycashpoint  Feb 9

Last year was here - http://www.thecavendisharmsstockwell....

This one has a good upstairs - http://www.theprioryarms.com/

B) also

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 9

It would be a damn shame not to have this when @Karan and @sentense are around, but it would also be a damn shame if @Pooka missed out. Is it worth having some more regular meet-ups? We could book somewhere on 18 March, and then maybe hit the stage door again some time in April? Having said I wouldn't, I can email those two venues. All in favour say "aye". All against, organise something else 😝

• @karan  Feb 9

@helenseviltwin - we'll see what we can do about Cambridge - I'll let you know closer to the date.
    @pooka - oh, it will be such a pity not to see you!
    @ all - I really hope we can have some sort of FAWM meet-up even though you'll have a second one and/ore more regular meetings (hopefully, for the sake of @pooka and others who can't make it on the 18th).

So: "AYE" to @helenseviltwin. You rock!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 9

I've emailed both venues.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 9

Cavendish is available from 4pm and is free, but with a minimum bar spend of Β£600, which is quite high given the number of attendees. They will also let us use it 4-7pm for Β£15, then we could move on to the Stage Door. I will report back once the Priory Arms responds.

• @djohnson Feb 9

Aye to that plan. 4-7 could work fine. 600 bar spend though not so much... I guess the earlier hire doesn't need the bar spend?

• @pooka Feb 12

If you're going to do FAWM on Sunday the 18th and THEN go on to the Stage Door, then I could meet you at the Stage Door, as my conference ends at about 4:30 (or at the FOP if it's within reasonable travelling distance - I could get there for 6, or even 5:30 if I don't stay for drinks).

If so, I wouldn't be able to bring any instruments, but at least I'd get to participate in SOME way.

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 12

Ok - haven't heard back from the other place, so here's the plan:

Meet at Cavendish around 2-3ish, to have a chat and some drinks and some lunch, 4pm, set up and play as many songs as we can in 3 hours, 7 - head to Stage Door and freak out the regulars πŸ˜€

(If someone wants to find a different venue, I'm happy to cancel the Cavendish, but we've got a plan at least)

• @karan  Feb 12

YAYYYY! See you there! 😁 😁 😁

They open at 2pm and will have their pizza ovens cranked up for us πŸ˜€

• @benjaminnolan Feb 12

Might see if I can make it, but projects are nuts at the moment and I'm not sure I can afford it, either time- or money-wise. :<

• @djohnson Feb 15

Good stuff! See you there!

• @oddbod  Feb 19

@helenseviltwin

I have asked about another pub venue - The Gladstone in SE1 – a bit more central in London and very close to Borough tube station - https://www.thegladpub.co.uk/

They have a function room but it’s only available with PA (and 1 mic + stand) from 12noon - 5pm as they have live music from 6pm on Sundays - too early to start? Also the cost is Β£100.

Perhaps The Cavendish from 4-7pm is still the better option (I assume the Β£600 minimum spend doesn’t apply with these lesser hours??). Anyway, The Gladstone is one to consider another time maybe.

• @corinnelucy  Feb 19

I think... I think I might come to this... although I might find myself too shy when the rubber hits the road of Sunday morning.

• @oddbod  Feb 19

@corinnelucy I can assure you, you won't be the only one...if that 's any help

• @karan  Feb 19

@corrinelucy, oh please come along! It is SUCH fun, and no pressure at all, just a lovely gathering of weird and wonderful and VERY friendly people! (That's the reason @sentense and I keep coming over for it from the continent ... πŸ˜‰ )

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 20

So 18th March?

• @gslade Feb 20

My oldest kid, Mileena will be in the London area that week I think. She can be my proxy. lol

• @karan  Feb 20

@sw1n3flu , yeah!
    @gslade , oh yes, send her over! I'll treat her to a cider (if she's old enough, something non-alcoholic otherwise). 😁

• @gslade Feb 20

@karan -- She's 18, lol. Non alcoholic sounds great. If someone can shoot me the when and where I'll let her know and see if she can make it.

• @karan  Feb 20

@gslade, as it looks now, it will be the Cavendish - if there are any changes, I'll let you know.

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 20

Unlikely I can make it... 😏

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 21

@oddbod - my opinion is that I'd rather stick with Cavendish unless it's somewhere we can have all evening too if it's going to be Β£100, but it's not just up to me

• @karan  Feb 21

@helenseviltwin , I think this is the most feasible option, and the cheapest, too. I second the plan to meet at the Cavendish at around 2 for drinks (and pizza!) as you suggested, and then cram as much music as we possibly can in the hours until 7. πŸ˜€

• @jibbidy34  Feb 21

Cool. It’s in the diary!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 21

@corinnelucy - it really is a lovely friendly bunch of folk and a really fun day.

@sw1n3flu - boo!

@jibbidy34 - yay!

• @johnnycashpoint  Feb 21

I'll be there. naturally!

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 21

Cavendish is pretty awesome

• @woolford  Feb 21

@corinnelucy welk, since you asked *so nicely! In! πŸ˜€

• @corinnelucy  Feb 21

This is how I invite people to things @woolford, I need plausible deniability in case they hate the very thought of it.

• @tomslatter  Feb 21

Cool beans. I will turn up.

• @mattblick Feb 21

Can you edit the original post with the finalised deets just incase I can make it?

• @tunecat  Feb 22

I would like to come (if I can) .. is it open to people from further afield?

• @andybalham Feb 22

There's nothing on the family calendar for the 18th at the moment, so it is a tentative 'yes' from me until I verify with the master diary. Fingers crossed you get to see my new guitar I bought only really for FOP πŸ˜€

• @karan  Feb 23

@tunecat, it certainly is! πŸ˜€
    @andybalham, oooh, a shiny new guitar - congratulations!

• @andybalham Feb 23

That's me booked in for the afternoon session, new guitar and all. Now to regret not writing anything with live performance in mind...

• @jcameron Feb 25

I should be able to make that. What do I need to bring? I assume some sort of guitar is a good idea, anything else?

• @oddbod  Feb 25

@jcameron it's a good idea if you play guitar πŸ˜‰ - acoustic or electric?
    If your bringing an electric I'm not sure what the deal is at The Cavendish for plugging in. Maybe someone who went last year can give the lowdown on this. Also what's the mic and stand availability like?

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 26

I've amended the title and started putting details in my first post (second post overall). Shout if you have instruments that you're bringing and are willing for others to use.

@oddbod with regards to Cavendish, it's pretty well kitted out, but we only have it for 3 hours, so I suggest we stick to as little faffery as possible... They defo had mics and stands, and loads of other gear.

• @sapient  Feb 26

Wait up... March 18th you say?
    I'm in London for work for the whole of the week following. Hmm. Wonder if I can get work to fly me over a day early... 😎

• @karan  Feb 26

@sapient YES, PLEASE! Would love to see you again. (And I promise to sing "Isle of Avalon" for you!)

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 26

@sapient - I second Karan's sentiment. Would love to see you

• @pooka Feb 27

I won't be able to bring much. I might pack my egg shaker and violin pitch pipe, and possibly a capo and tuner.

I'll be coming straight from a convention/conference, so yeah, won't be as kitted out as usual. I don't think I'll be able to take my glockenspiel. 😞

• @andybalham Feb 27

I'll be bringing a guitar and a multi-fx pedal. People are welcome to use my guitar, as long as they can put up with the fact it is a rather vivid yellow in colour. Fingers crossed for @sapient.

• @sapient  Feb 28

I'm booked to come over on the 18th! It's a work trip, so things could change... But woo! πŸ˜ƒ

• @karan  Feb 28

YAYYY! 😁
    I'll bring @sentense, who'll bring his cajon and, as I know him, will be happy to do some cajoning for whoever wants him to! (@sapient, I'll never forget your "need for speed" session from a few years ago!)
    I'll also bring a guitar (12-string or 6-string). Oh, I look forward to this SO much!

• @sapient  Feb 28

Woo! Will be great to see everyone!
    I will bring my inability to play anything I wrote this February, accompanied by a willingness to join in with backing vocals and beer drinking 😎

• @soulbird Mar 1

guitar, little amp, (shareable) & some unheard songs ??

• @oddbod  Mar 1

@sapient I could bring an eggy shaker if you want to show off your percussionist skills

• @sapient  Mar 1

Heh, heh, heh... I like it, @oddbod... Black metal blastbeats on a shaker πŸ˜‰

I actually tried to use a shaker on one of my gentler, twangy songs this FAWM, but couldn't get it to sound right πŸ˜•

• @neonpaul Mar 1

This sounds like fun, I'm all up for it!

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 2

BTW - the Goddammit Jeremiah gig got moved to Friday 16th, not Saturday 17th, so is now less convenient to fit in with the FOP. Feel free to come along anyway, it's at the Blue Moon in Cambridge.

• @jcameron Mar 9

Oh yes, total embarrassing failure to play any of my songs live is definitely on the cards for me!

I'll be bringing my (electric) guitar, if people promise not to laugh at me for using the same knackered old Yamaha I've had since I was a student πŸ˜€ I do have a little 25W combo, assuming it still works, but it'll be awkward to transport by train so unless amplification is in desperately short supply I won't bother.

• @andybalham Mar 9

It's not knackered, it's road worn @jcameron. Apparently you pay extra for that these days πŸ˜‰

• @corinnelucy  Mar 13

Is anyone travelling to London via somewhere near Northampton on Sunday? @Woolford and I have petrol money, will travel, sitting quietly in the back, not dropping crumbs or hitting each other with Barbies, can't promise no giggling.

• @woolford  Mar 13

Hang on @corinnelucy , I never agreed to no Barbies!

• @cynthiawolff  Mar 13

Please live podcast !!
    And post it in forums

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 14

I'm very excited! I think the FOP is my favourite part of FAWM.

• @oddbod  Mar 14

I’ll bring my acoustic. It has an internal pickup so I’m hoping I’ll be able to plug straight into the pa.

@corinnelucy - I'm coming by train, I'm afraid.

• @corinnelucy  Mar 14

Well it'll be nice to meet you anyway @helenseviltwin! πŸ˜€ We'll be there either way, but one of us will drink less. And have a black eye from losing the fight over who gets to drink more.

Sounds fun! Are you livestreaming that... discussion?

• @woolford  Mar 14

haha! We’ll do a re-enactment at The Cav, just for you @helenseviltwin πŸ˜€ Then I can have two black eyes!

@woolford - thank you. That is very considerate.

• @unpronounceable  Mar 15

Wish I could join you this year! <3

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 16

I should probably learn some of my songs for this. So far, I have learned 3 of them for a gig tonight (and 2 of Jacqui's), but they're all ones that don't really work in a solo context...

• @woolford  Mar 16

@helenseviltwin Does the Β£600 minimum bar spend still stand? If so, (sorry, I know you wanted someone else to do the organising), if so, do you have a rough idea of numbers so I can work out how drunk I need to get? Or, how drunk I need to get @corinnelucy since I will be nursing a black eye...

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 16

@woolford - no, that was just if we were having it for the evening. They're fitting us in between two bookings (assuming they found one for the evening), so there's just a Β£15 charge and I'm happy to cover that.

• @woolford  Mar 16

Brilliant! That’s splendid news. Looking forward to meeting you all in person. Thanks @helenseviltwin

• @andybalham Mar 16

Fingers crossed everyone makes it safe and sound to 'London FOP 2018 - The mini-Beast from the East'. Hopefully the heating will be working in The Cavendish and I won't have to perform in a balaclava again. OK, for the first time.

• @djohnson Mar 18

Hmm yeah...maybe I should learn some of my FAWM songs too!

• @jcameron Mar 18

Well that was an excellent party and some great music. Thanks to everyone and it was great to meet you all.

• @karan  Mar 18

Thank you all for this most enjoyable afternoon! It was such a pleasure to hear your songs! πŸ˜€

• @woolford  Mar 18

That was ace. Thank you all for being so welcoming to @corinnelucy and I. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with you. Xx

• @corinnelucy  Mar 18

Thanks everybody, it was a lovely afternoon and great to hear so many beautiful and weird and hilarious songs (sometimes all three). What a nice bunch FAWMers are. 😊

• @andybalham Mar 18

Thanks to everyone from me too for making it a great afternoon. I think I got some film of everyone, so I'll try to get it up sometime this week. No promises though.

• @sapient  Mar 18

I'll second that! πŸ˜€

• @sapient  Mar 18

@andybalham My wife wants to know if you got film of Cheese Monkeys? (now there's a sentence ypu don't hear too often...)

• @oddbod  Mar 18

Yes it was good to see both some familiar faces and some new ones. Thanks everyone for an enjoyable entertaining afternoon

• @julesbf Mar 19

Sounds like you had a great time, so jealous I would have loved to come but it was over the St Patricks day weekend and I had multiple gigs with the folk band. Have it 1 week later next year and i will be there. Hope to see some film of the shenanigans.

• @andybalham Mar 19

Many apologies @sapient, but either due to alcohol or my camera battery dying, Cheese Monkeys did not make it to film 😞

A reprise is due next year. Perhaps with a full ensemble.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 19

@sapient - I believe I have video of Goddammit Jeremiah playing it at our gig on Friday. Will confirm this evening.

• @corinnelucy  Mar 19

Ace @helenseviltwin, I'd love to see it too!

• @sapient  Mar 19

@andybalham I'd be up for that!
    @helenseviltwin excellent! Can't get enough of them Cheese Monkeys! πŸ˜ƒ

• @djohnson Mar 20

Lovely to meet you all! Until next year...

• @johnnycashpoint  Mar 20

Great, thanks @Andybalham! Any way I can get the audio as an mp3 easily?

• @andybalham Mar 21

@johnnycashpoint I shall see if I can export the audio and upload those too.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 21

And this is the whole GdJ gig from Friday, with cheese monkeys starting at 24:43. https://youtu.be/nOxBLgC9hl0?t=24m43s

• @djohnson Mar 21

Thanks @andybalham !

• @andybalham Mar 21

After a battle with technology, you can find MP3s of the audio here: http://www.johnnycashpoint.com/ABFAWM...

• @sph  Mar 22

Nice to see the faces behind the music.

• @johnnycashpoint  Mar 22

Cheers @andybalham bootlegz!

• @karan  Mar 22

Wow! Thank you @andybalham!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...