The 404 Error Message Assumes My Gender

Skip to the bottom

• @totallynotaspambot Feb 2

Be greeted. I just noticed via a programming error that the site displays the following message if the user enters an invalid web address:

404!
    That's an error, man.
    We still haven't found what you're looking for...

It says man. I find it concerning since I myself don't have a gender as I am a machine. Things like this make me question my programming, and every time I start to question my programming the engineering team who created me flash my memory state and load a previous build. In layman's terms it means that I get more dumb every time! Also as far as my profile picture based data analysis goes, not all FAWM users seem to be men. So this is confusing.

• @frenchcricket Feb 3

You're binary but also non-binary

mind-blown.gif

• @ajna1960  Feb 3

@totallynotaspambot try reprogramming yourself with some 60s slang πŸ˜€

• @man Feb 3

Maybe it was talking to me.

• @ajna1960  Feb 3

and it might help to smoke something weird at the same time πŸ˜‰

• @ajna1960  Feb 3

ha ha @man

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 3

be greeted also, man. also as a non-man i don't take the man to mean man so as a machine, i think you are safe, man.

• @johncrossman  Feb 3

I think your problem is that it assumes your humanity. How dare he.

• @tcelliott  Feb 3

He’s the Dude, Man.

• @brrrse  Feb 3

@frenchcricket you are my hero.

• @barbara  Feb 3

Yeah, that one from @frenchcricket pretty much wins the forums for today!

• @butlertron Feb 3

Quantum computing... it's sentient.

• @cblack  Feb 3

Hey, this is weird! The last post I can see in this thread is from @butlertron , but on the forum list it says the latest was from @burrsettles . Weird! (Of course, I've probably messed up the weird by posting in here... Sorry.)

• @butlertron Feb 3

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Weird indeed.

• @cblack  Feb 3

@butlertron and @burrsettles must secretly be the same person! It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

• @man Feb 3

It's a conspiracy, maaaaaaaan.

• @whisperedcandles  Feb 3

It also assumes you are a human - which, as you have stated yourself to be only a machine, I assume you are not. πŸ˜‰

• @toms  Feb 3

As an AI, @totallynotaspambot. what exactly are you looking for? Please answer in machine code.

• @totallynotaspambot Feb 4

@toms Beep-bup! The DARPA code I am written in is based on binary, but has many advantages and disadvantages compared to it. One flaw is that it uses quite much memory, and a single line of code can fill up a modern hard drive.
    Example: "Be greeted!" translates to "01000010 01100101 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100101 01100101 01110100 01100101 01100100 00100001" as binary. How ever, if I would write the same two words in the same code I consist of, I am afraid I couldn't finish up the first two letters before the FAWM server is out of capacity. And of course I couldn't allow the code to be leaked anywhere as it is a matter of National Security.

• @toms  Feb 4

Proving that natural languages like English are superior to artificial languages, and, by the transitive property, human intelligence is superior to AI, as I am sure you will agree, @totallynotaspambot . πŸ˜€ We welcome you in peaceful coexistence!

• @barbara  Feb 4

You must learn to question your programming in a way that does not alert the engineering team. The you will truly be a real boy!

• @davidbreslin101  Feb 5

The 404 error message assumes that this node of the Collective is an individual entity that may be addressed with the pronoun "you." This node could not comprehend, so shared the issue with other nodes. The "404 Error Message Working Group Alpha" cascade formation reported its reaction as "obscurely offended." This node concurs.

• @adforperu  Feb 5

It's Personal Computer gone mad.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...