Pop Filter question

Skip to the bottom

• @gslab  Feb 2

I got a some used gear for recording and one of the things that came with it a CAD gooseneck pop filter thing. No mesh in the 6" circle however. What kind of material is supposed to be in there (I read that ladies nylons are favored by some) but how is it supposed to be held in place in the circle? I'm sure I can rig something up, but I'm curious how it was originally designed to work. Pictures on google have not been much help.

• @brrrse  Feb 2

Grab a cheap pair of Kneehigh pantihose or really stretchy socks, and slip it over it - and pull it tight, then secure it with a rubber band or twist tie. πŸ˜€

it's like putting bread in a bag.

• @wen  Feb 2

+1 to that! Use a black zip tie if you wanna get fancy 😝

• @stuartbenbow  Feb 2

The original likely had the mesh trapped between two layers of plastic. Depending on the make and model, it may be able to separate, but likely it was factory sealed. As suggested, just stretch it over, pull tight and you’re good to go. Just place the filter 4-6” away from the mic, and be close to the filter for lead vocals, a little further back from the filter for backing vocals. Helps in getting the layers to sit well in the mix.

• @gslab  Feb 2

Would I get the same effect by stretching the pantihose over my head? I heard that's what the pros do. Actually, I think it was Eric Distad that told me that.

Thanks guys.

• @brrrse  Feb 2

well if Eric Distad said it, then I'd surely give it a try! πŸ˜€

• @scottlake  Feb 2

My pop filter came with the CAD M177 I bought a long time ago. As long as you have the hoop with the gooseneck, the method mentioned above works fine. If not, make a pop filter from a bent coat hanger wire with nylons over it and attached to your mic stand. It works. The other DIY method that works is to hold a pencil vertically oriented an inch or so in front of your mouth as you record. It does work.

• @radioovermoscow Feb 2

I literally have a thin flannel tied onto my condenser mic... seems to work.

• @johnstaples  Feb 2

@gslab, that is completely correct! Except I use two pairs of pantyhost...one over my head and one to wear normally. Well, maybe "normally" isn't the right word but...

• @johnstaples  Feb 2

But seriously, if you need to make one from scratch grab a cheap embroidery hoop, some hose or fine cloth and a pair of scissors...

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...