How do you take your tea?

Skip to the bottom

• @mkd  Jan 21

You can tell a lot about a person from how they drink their favourite beverage! (Or can you?...)

I drink both tea and coffee stupidly weak (someone called it "lighthouse tea" once because it's blinking near water... geddit?!) but don't mistake that for milky - just a splash please! And no sugar...

My wine can be white or red, depending on the mood, but never rose!

Beer can be real ale or lager, depending on time of year usually...

My curl up and chill favourite is a coffee with baileys instead of milk (and yes, that can be more than a splash!)

See, you feel like you know me already don't you?!

If it's not too daft, and you fancy it, how do you like yours?...

• @silvermachine  Jan 21

Poured into my mouth by a beautiful woman.

• @adforperu  Jan 21

2 sweetners, not strong, plenty of milk. I take my tea like a heathen, basically

• @musicsongwriter Jan 21

I drink tea with milk, tea is reasonably strong.
    Tea without milk with lemon and honey, tea is weak
    Tea with jam in it (yes, instead of fruit tea I drink black tea with a spoon of jam)
    I dislike any alcohol simply because I don't like the taste of it or the idea of it. I believe first it makes people relax and happy but soon they feel sad, depressed and argumentative. This is only my opinion based on experiences I had with anyone who was drinking in front of me, not starting any argument about it as it's an individual observation and everyone is different. I like milky cofee - white coffee, late, cappuccino. In good old times when I wasn't effected by what I was eating I used to put some ice-cream on the top of my coffee or have coffee with sweetened condenced milk. I used to have 2 spoons of sugar in my coffee and 1 or 2 with my tea.

• @donna  Jan 21

Strong (Irish Breakfast, Tetley's, or Yorkshire Gold are good), with milk and two sweeteners (stevia).

Fruit or herbal teas (my favourites are green tea, ginger-lemon, or camomile), with a dollop of honey.

Coffee (which I rarely drink), medium-strong, with coffee-milk and two sweeteners.

I rarely drink alcohol. On the five or six occasions during the course of a year, it's one small glass of dry white wine paired with a large glass of mineral water.

• @mkd  Jan 21

@silvermachine sounds incredibly risky! High scald-factor methinks!

@adforperu ah, change the sweeteners for sugar and that there would be “builder’s tea”!

@musicsongwriter we are all individual indeed! I feel like there’s a whole life-story revealed through the medium of hot beverages there!

• @mkd  Jan 21

@donna I’m not a sweetener-user, so am a novice in these matters - is there a great difference between brands?

• @musicsongwriter Jan 21

Well, this thread might lead to some songs created. Tell me what you drink and I tell you who you are... You are what you drink... Tea and You,,, Tea and Me...

• @donna  Jan 21

@mkd, the difference is that stevia is a natural sweetener, produced from the stevia plant. If I'm anyplace where the only choice is between a chemical sweetener and sugar, I'll opt for sugar (especially if its raw sugar).

• @adforperu  Jan 21

@mkd I thought a builders tea was super strong, hardly any milk?! I'm the opposite, whatever that is. A demolition experts tea maybe?

• @songsville  Jan 21

I have a dreadful unfinished lyric here if anyone wants to join in and add to it. It got nowhere for me probably as I drink neither! 😀

I like coffee, you like tea
    On this fundamental issue we disagree

You sip from a dainty porcelain cup
    I'm like a bull in a china shop
    I like a quick jolt, you're more of a slow brew

CH
    At least we both like it hot
    So c'mon baby let's give it a shot
    I'll even try cam-o-mile
    If you would just give me a smile

• @ayehahmur  Jan 21

I love tea and I take it with hot water and nothing else. Not too strong, not too weak - light enough so I can still see the bottom of the cup, but that depends on the tea.

• @dragondreams  Jan 21

I only keep tea in the house for my sister and dad when they visit. The only way I would take tea is in a footbath. 😉

• @vomvorton  Jan 21

Tea: medium-strong, little bit of milk
    Coffee: black, strong but not too much of it. I hate cafés where you order the smallest size and they still bring you a huge vat.
    No sugar, but they're both better served with cake or biscuits, or cake topped with biscuits.

Alcohol: craft beer, anything I haven't tried before, I like the variety. I had a coffee, peanut butter, marshmallow and chocolate Imperial stout yesterday and it was amaaaazing.

• @nikke88 Jan 21

Tea: As it is. Whether it's dark, white or green. No sugar, no milk, no jam, no honey, just loose leaf tea & hot water. I like it that way. But when I'm sick, then dark tea with honey and rum. It doesn't really heal me, but it makes being sick more tolerable.

Coffee: Dark roasted without anything extra, one cup a day during breakfast. Maybe few dates or a piece of dark chocolate with it.

Beer: If I have a possibility to choose, then ale. What kind of ale? Depends. During winter strong barrel-aged imperial stout or lovely porter, during summer mostly British-styled ales like bitter, pale ale (NOT India pale ale) and real ales. If there's sahti as alternative, then that. Sahti = goodness.

I rarely drink more than two a day, so quality before quantity. And if I have more, then quality AND quantity. Life's too short for a drink, that you don't like.

When it comes to wines, I have no idea about them. If it's drinkable, I can have a glass if someone else offers it to me.

• @oddbod  Jan 21

It used to be builders tea with 2 sugars but now it's Roobois, black, no sugar.
    I avoid caffeine

• @metalfoot  Jan 21

Black tea with milk, but usually only at breakfast. Then herbal tea straight or with a little sugar at other times of day.

• @atitlan Jan 21

Black tea - Medium strength. Milk. No sugar.
    Green tea - usually as it comes, but sometimes add a little honey.

Coffee : Like an espresso at the end of a meal out. Hate buckets of coffee flavoured milk masquerading as coffee from big chains.

Alcohol : Craft beer (tendency toward pale or IPA); wine (red mainly); Like the occasional G+T on a summer's day.

• @mkd  Jan 21

These responses are all fab! Has any two answered the same yet?..!

• @ianuarius  Jan 21

with 75% bourbon

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 21

I’ve got a sweet tooth, so a fair amount of sugar in my tea, and a ton in my coffee. A splash of milk for either. It’s been said that my coffee is only in the cup to liquify the sugar and make it warm.

As to alcohol, not much of a drinker these days. I’m usually the designated driver, and playing shows far from home, it’s either partake or get home after the show, but not both.

Rum and coke’s the go to if we’re just chilling with friends though. Brings back fond memories of the Caribbean years back.

• @skittycat  Jan 21

I take it in very, very large quantities up to 5 or 6 400ml mugs a day depending how ill or hungover I am. Used to be a pale tea drinker but now I've stepped up to 'middling', a good amount of skimmed milk and NO SUGAR!!!
    Favourite blend at the moment is either Betty's Tearoom Blend or Betty's Breakfast Blend. Plain old Yorkshire Tea for everyday use.
    I've also stopped using bags because I didn't realise till recently they are made of polypropylene and don't degrade in the compost!
    I'm a loose leaf convert 😉

• @chrishope  Jan 21

"....as long as its warm and wet. "...'British Rail' is the style, strong and sweet. When I remember to stop drinkin Tea is the saviour

• @kahlo2013  Jan 21

Tea and coffee - iced, black, unsweetened strong - except for the occasional skim sugar free hazelnut hot latte☕️

• @tootoobee  Jan 21

Tea (no milk no sugar of any kind):
    black: light
    green: any
    and everyday at least a liter of spice tea preferably with ginger 😀

quit drinking coffee half a year ago due to my sleeping disorder, before: Italian espresso with or without milk, always with sugar

my glass of red wine in the evening, sometimes a beer (Pils of course 😉 )

• @jamkar  Jan 21

Black, strong, tsp of honey. PG Tips or Newman's Organic usually.

• @shortdan  Jan 21

Quite strong but also with plenty of milk (contrary to popular belief these two factors aren’t mutually exclusive!). One small sugar at the moment & hoping to get down to none at some point.

• @janes Jan 21

I like my tea to be fairly strong. Not too much milk, Yorkshire tea is perfect for me, and absolutely no sugar. And plenty of it. Coffee I'm not really fussed about. It's ok but I can take or leave it.

• @cairobraga Jan 21

I like my tea with some shade, henny. No sugar.

• @mkd  Jan 21

Ah @shortdan
    - you are my opposite!

• @chipwithrow  Jan 21

Fun thread! I don't think anyone here drinks tea with turmeric - I do. And honey.
    Coffee black - I'm drinking some now.
    Craft breweries keep popping up here in southwest Florida and I try to drink local. But I do keep Pabst Blue Ribbon or Budweiser around the house too, and I like both.
    I used to be a lot more into wine than I am now - I'll pick something up at the grocery if it's cheap and looks good. There were some $5 Australian reds I was drinking a few weeks ago.
    my first song of last FAWM was about coffee. I've written beer songs and a wine song, but I've never written a tea song (maybe mentioned it in a lyric).

• @nancyrost  Jan 21

My brew of choice is coffee. I like it very strong with half & half, no sugar. I used to just like dark roasts, now I like to change it up. For a childlike indulgence, I'll have flavored coffees, especially the weird seasonal ones like King Cake flavor for Mardi Gras or Candy Corn Caramel for Halloween. One cup in the morning, maybe two in special situations.

Tea: Black, preferably something strong like an Assam, brewed strong, with half&half or milk. I usually only drink this in place of coffee, otherwise I lose needed sleep. I do like a good ginger tisane any time of day.

Alcohol: I don't drink it; it gives me a headache.

• @skittycat  Jan 21

Hmmm this has me thinking I may have to write an ode to my favourite drink.
    I also think I should stockpile tea and dried milk in case of disaster. Cos I can face just about anything as long as there is tea but woe betide the sucker who tries to keep me from a brew!

• @oldlostjohn  Jan 21

Tea is one of my main obsessions. I keep tea from at least five different districts on the tea shelf, currently Assam, Nilgiri, Darjeeling, Keemun and Yunnan. I drink it black and fairly strong, without sugar, avoid tea-bags and detest flavoured teas.

Coffee is no big deal, I like it black without sugar but otherwise anything goes.

I drink a lot less alcohol than I used to, sometimes nothing for weeks, but when I do I like stout or ale, red wine and single malt, and perhaps gin and tonic if I get really inspired.

• @mikeskliar  Jan 21

Tea- fairly strong, I like Irish breakfast blend, also there's a smoky-flavored tea called lapsong souchong which is great. usually a little sugar and maybe milk, maybe not.
    Coffee- believe it or not, I only drink decaf -but i like some milk and sugar for sure, -I don't like the very bitter starbucks-style coffee- tho they make a 'flat white' that's good. Also a local (?) NYC chain called gregory's has decaf cold -brew which is a great summer thing.

Not a big drinker, but if i go there, wine- red, whiskey- the irish stuff mostly (jamison, bushmill's, blackbushe etc) and there's an whiskey with alot of flavor i like called redbreast (anyone want to buy me a bottle?)

• @seanbrennan  Jan 21

Love this thread every year!

My tea consumption is way down so far in 2018, but I'm kind of a "budding" (get it?) tea nerd. (Have been for the better part of a decade...) @mikeskliar is on the right track with lapsang souchong, absolutely delicious. I also like pu-erh teas, as well as the standard tisanes - rooibos, peppermint, hibiscus, etc. Really, if it's steeped, count me in for a cup!

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 21

I take my tea with laudanum
    With laudanum
    With laudanum
    I take my tea with laudanum
    And sometimes eat the bag

• @mkd  Jan 21

@seanbrennan ah, and there was me thinking I was being original!

• @cts  Jan 21

Well - when it comes to tea, my first choice is throat tea with a bit of honey. I love that odd licorice taste it has, but it makes the throat so ready for singing!

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I have been known to go out of my way to get a piping hot caramel macchiato from Starbucks or The Desserterie.

• @adnama17  Jan 22

Tea is life. The stronger the better. With a smidge of real sugar, and a splash of milk depending.

But no coffee. Yuck!

Whiskey is also life. In a different way, mind you. In a much different way. And better than beer, eh @TCElliott?

• @oddbod  Jan 22

@mkd @seanbrennan Weird, I don't remember this thread being posted before, let alone every year.

Alcohol - I love a G&T. Another favourite tipple is Vermouth which I got into on a trip to Andalusia in September.
    Oh, and Aperol Spritz, how could I forget!

• @js6  Jan 22

Tea: Usually green, with a bit of honey, no sugar. I drink tea only in winter time (if I run out of glogg for example 😁).

Coffee: Dark roast with little or no milk, depending on the mood and if I have something to eat with the coffee. Also, no sugar.

Alcohol: I don't use any alcohol and have never been drunk. I guess teetotaler is a correct word for it?
    (I do like some non-alcoholic beers tho.)

And as much as I avoid sugar, I sadly like Coca-Cola alot. It's just so good when cooled down near to it's freezing point.

• @mkd  Jan 22

@js6 I love the oxymoron of avoiding sugar but loving coca-cola! That’s a daily conundrum right there!

@oddbod I’ll relax then! 😊

• @karlsburg25  Jan 22

I am known as Mr Tea and don't leave home without a flask . No coffee. Yorkshire tea bag dash of milk and one massive sugar . Medium colour . That is all xx

• @valeriecox  Jan 22

I like both tea and coffee many ways, black, with milk, iced, just no sweetener. I do like cinnamon and nutmeg in my coffee though.

Not a wine person at all.

Beer occasionally, but I can't drink much of it. It's just too heavy. But I like my rum and gin and other such things.

• @chipwithrow  Jan 22

@js6 - A few times a year (maybe just once or twice, even) I get a craving for an ice-cold Coke. It's awesomely delicious on those few occasions, and it makes me nostalgic for when I was a kid.
    I just wrote a few lines (just to keep the idea, nowhere near a whole song) about a guy who wants to quit drinking beer but is worried about what his beer-loving wife might think.
    My wife and I used to drink a lot of beer together, but she has cut it down to one a day if at all. And we both say that if we ever had to choose (hope it never comes to this) between beer and coffee, we'de choose coffee.

• @tiller2  Jan 22

How do I take my tea? Black even if it's green

• @zxcvbnm  Jan 22

Rooibos, South African caffeine free tea, strong black with one auger.

• @jendistad  Jan 22

I can't drink coffee (*pout*) or hot chocolate (*pout*), so hot herbals are my go-to. Thankfully, I have found some tasty options! (=

I like herbals that are robust enough to take milk and sugar. Cardamom Cinnamon (from Republic of Tea) is a good option for this. My favorite, though, is Montana Gold (from teasource.com). Tea Source also has a fantastic Toothless Tiger Chai, that is caffeine free and still a delicious chai. (=

• @barrygoldman  Jan 22

I just pour boiling water into a cup with a lemon slice and syrup. Very simple and you can drink a ton of it in a day. Coffee is always double double. Beer, I've just started to drink different kinds, so I like to get a bunch of cans from the store and just try them all. I like lager, nothing flavored or too sweet, dangerous stuff. Czech Pilsner is the best I've had in my journey so far. Often I find you can't go wrong with German, Austrian or Czech beers.

• @mkd  Jan 22

I like the use of the word robust when referring to tea @jendistad - it immediately conveys your meaning perfectly!

• @cluebird66 Jan 22

Recently discovered I loved brewed espresso in those little silver pots... in a tiny cup, with steamed milk. Dash of cinnamon, dollop of cane sugar. Decadence.

Chai Tea all the way, with honey and creamy milk... hmmm creaminess a theme I never noticed before.
    Finally, for palate cleansing, clearing, adore Jasmine tea, or a bracing cup of strong Red Rose with lemon and honey. Sometimes green tea when trying to be virtuous in my eating habits but not often.☺️

• @gromwaf Jan 22

Coffee like my metal... Black.

• @izaakalexander Jan 22

Tea: for variety, no cream or sugar unless it's chai spice or Thai iced. Earl Grey with lemon or strong maté are favorites. Caffeine and bitter because---

Coffee: is always best. Black and strong and hot in a great big ceramic mug. NO PAPER CUPS. 😀

Beer: The craft beers from the northwest USA with loads of hops!

Wine: Well, vino tinto is ubiquitous here in España, so I've added it to my list as well. Perhaps not at the same time as the beer. 😀

• @fearlessflight2014  Jan 23

I don't like tea. It's like...like... stewed compost. I have coffee with grass-fed butter, MCT oil and macadamia milk because I'm an aspirational hipster at heart.

• @cts  Jan 23

@fearlessflight2014 - dang! Stewed compost? THAT right there? GANGSTER!!! LOL! 😁

• @jacobeverettwallace  Jan 23

I'd pour that tea out and make a cup of the blackest, strongest coffee available! If I feel sweet, a spoonful of raw cane sugar. No milk. Ever.

• @guatecoop  Jan 23

Black coffee, black tea, beer, bourbon...
    I like strong flavors and nothing watered down. It's just how I like it.

• @ryuu  Jan 23

Coffee: Strong, black, unsweetened filter coffee. One big mug in the morning is my usual get-me-started drink.

Tea: Herbal, chai, black, green - I like them all, as long as they're not flavored. Here, too: No milk, no sugar. (I'll occasionally have a bit of honey with a robust East Frisian black tea.)
    Usually, I stick to herbal tea. I don't like the taste of rooibos and the effect mate has on me.

• @oddbod  Jan 23

@fearlessflight2014 shouldn't you be making a cake or something with those ingredients?

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 23

Weak and sweet.
    Like my physical prowess and disposition.

• @ustaknow Jan 23

Yes, fun thread, and interesting:
    Tea: as my authentic Indian wife makes it with cardamom, boiled milk, no sugar

Coffee: Fresh ground in (gear grinder, not blade) from my Stainless Steel French Press, 1min 30sec into my soupbowl coffee cup (like 3 cups, but I get to tell the Doctor I only drink 1 - 2 cups a day)

Mezcal, pure agave ("Tequila") -- since a few years ago started to have food allergies. -- Like one beer and an immediate, axe in the forehead instant hangover. That'll make you quite fast! (So, started to brew my own! (from scratch end to end), then Wine (Prickly Pear is amazing, so is Mead!) ... "spirits" distillation, sadly still not Legal in the USA 😀 or would be making my own Rye 5 gals a run. (So, yes certain Ryes on special occasions, -- North Carolina "moon shine" 😉 hahhh --long history there!)

Milk! (love milk!)

And, lastly ? -- filtered Water, like 3 gals a day... every day, for years... with some "Redemtion Rye" 😉
    [ soundcloud.com/ustaknow/redemption-rye-b-50902017/s-v4719 ]
    [ fiftyninety.fawmers.org/song/23348 ]

• @theseanovan Jan 23

I personally am not a coffee drinker. It's much too strong for my tastes. So I stick to tea. That being said, I drink my tea straight, no milk or sugar. Doesn't matter what kind or even if it's flavored.

Funny how that works, though...

• @karan  Jan 23

English breakfast tea with milk. Coffee with milk, sometimes black. Herbal teas of all kinds. Oh yes, I love my hot beverages!

• @sheamiejay  Jan 23

Bengal Spice tea, strong, no milk.
    Dark roast coffee with cream.
    Water, when I remember.
    A single malt for a treat.
    Nice cold Beck's.

• @mkd  Jan 24

I definitely find a difference in how I feel when making myself an instant coffee, or making one in a cafetière... there’s something in the process of the cafetière coffee prep, with the waiting and the ceremonial pushing down etc that gives me an entirely different feel as I then drink it.

Also, which mug or drink-receptacle I use can be either an indication of mood/headspace, or a changer of mood/headspace!

I may be just a little bit weird...

• @donna  Jan 24

@mkd I totally get you with regard to the mood/mug connection. I actually need to choose the mug that appeals to me on any given day. Can't just grab the one that's closest. 😉

• @mkd  Jan 24

@donna yes! And different ones fit different activities for me, not because of any practical element, but because “that’s the one I use when I x-y-z!”

• @donna  Jan 24

@mkd, well… that last one might be a wee bit weird. (Just teasin’ 😉 )

I have a cupboard full of mugs, including ones I’ve ended up never drinking from because I’ve decided ‘they’re too pretty to use’. They spend their lives now being eye candy that’s visible through the cupboard's glass doors.

I have a couple of mugs with warm & fuzzy designs and mottos on them, and they really irritate me when I’m feeling a bit down. At those times, I refuse to drink from them and seriously consider giving them to the local charity shop. 😉 And of course when I’m back to being bright and cheerful, they’re the first mugs I reach for. 😉 Other mugs I select on the basis of their shape and colour, depending on whether my yin (which opts for curvy shapes) or my yang (which leans towards solid no-nonsense shapes) is dominant that day.

I wonder if there’s a branch of psychology that covers this behaviour. 😉

Well, all of this has made me hanker after a cup of tea. I wonder which mug I’ll use. Sometimes the mug knows what’s wriggling around in my psyche even before I do myself. 😀 😀 😀

• @jamkar  Jan 24

@sheamiejay I like Bengal Spice and also Rooibos teas when I want no caffine.

• @mkd  Jan 24

@donna “mugology” perhaps?! 😂

• @frenchcricket Jan 24

My tea is really boring, normal amount of milk, no sugar. I do tend to go for decaf though. I also like chai tea which is kinda basic bitch, but I'm owning it

• @valeriecox  Jan 24

@donna I have 4 mugs and tumbler on my office right now, because I need mug/mood symmetry.

• @bking  Jan 24

My current favorite tea is hibiscus with honey. But I don’t say no to a nice cup of Kona with amaretto.

• @theresaj  Jan 24

Tea - Earl gray, strong with lemon and honey
    Coffee - dark, strong with real cream, no sugar.
    Wine - white, sweet, preferrably a Reisling or Moscato though a nice Prosecco is always a treat
    Chocolate (because chocolate deserves to be in this thread too) - Dark

• @klaus Jan 24

As black as I can. Which is pretty black.

• @colgoo  Jan 24

Ice water, herbal teas light on sugar, and a chocolate in any form lover.

Love smoothies, lassi, and soup.

I occasionally partake of caffeinated beverage, light on soda and bubbly drinks. Not a big fan of belching. Not a fan of alcohol, either, though I do use it in cooking (I love to splash some bourbon into my homemade peach raspberry pie.) Don't like coffee.

• @mkd  Jan 24

@theresaj Good point re the chocolate, you are so right, it does deserve to be in this thread too...

• @pbtaylorjr  Jan 30

Tea - Green. No additives. Cause allegedly it's healthy/ier that way. But if I was going for what I actually enjoy it would be iced tea made with simple syrup.

Coffee - Light roast k-cups cause I'm lazy. Black, cause it's supposed to be healthy that way. But on occasion, when I want to enjoy it, I give into my inner and outer fatboy and get some sweetened up chocolate or mint tasting stuff from Starbucks or that ilk.

Not a beer fan but will drink most beers socially, though IPA and friends are disgusting. Guinness if I'm buying it.

I'll drink any hard liquor/liqueur. The best thing I've ever had is some apple pie flavored "moonshine." Rum and coke. Fireball.

My "chill" drink is anything hot. I always feel sophisticated drinking a hot beverage from a mug.

• @brrrse  Jan 30

I take my tea either green or black - with an antique tea ball from generations back. Just water and leaves.

Coffee - Americano with cream.

Beer - the darker the better - If I can see through it, I'm sending it back. And never put fresh fruit in or on my beer - I'll hurt you.

Wine - I'm a sucker for sweet bubbly or spicy dry whites, but never a mixture of either.

Liquor - A nice Manhattan anytime.

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 30

I drink herbal tea because proper tea is theft.

• @musicsongwriter Jan 30

Just started my sore throat grrr so I'm going to make hot/warm water with lemon and honey. Please wish me good luck.
    Nadia

• @jonmeta  Jan 30

Strong coffee from a beat up espresso maker (stove top type).
    Yorkshire Gold w/ milk and one sugar.
    Red wine from a local vineyard.
    Occasional G & T in the summer.
    No fizzy / soda / carbonated drinks except sparkling water and the above mentioned T.

• @spinhead  Jan 30

First thing every morning: Barry's green label, strong, with milk.

Later, coffee, Caribou Mahogany with whatever decaf is cheap, strong, with a touch of creamer.

Red, usually whatever is cheap at Trader Joe's: Gypsy Chariot, Old Moon Zin, Grifone Primativo are all excellent.

Local brewpub ale, rye IPA at Old Ellsworth usually, but at home, San Tan Devil's Ale.

G&T with Fever Tree. Anything else is a waste of cheap gin (because Burnett's, at something like three bucks a gallon, is marvelous.)

• @spinhead  Jan 30

@frenchcricket You are aware, I hope, that in the US, the "normal" amount of milk is *none*, yes? I, of course, use milk in my tea. Made it that way for a writer friend once. He said "It tastes like someone put milk in my tea." Ah well.

• @mkd  Jan 30

@musicsongwriter good luck! I’m developing a cough and occasionally losing my voice mid-sentence... going to be an interesting month ahead!

@spinhead have you seen the film The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel? There’s a great pithy comment in the opening ten minutes on the US-way of drinking tea...

• @spinhead  Jan 31

@mkd Not yet. It’s on my list.

• @krayzie003  Jan 31

I don't drink tea often but when I do the kind depends on my mood and ultimate goal. For a little pick me up Earl Grey strait up or maybe with a pinch of sugar. To sooth my vocal chords after a long week of singing Earl Grey with some honey. But if I feel like relaxing or contemplating the secrets of the universe I turn to Green Tea.

Most the time instead of tea I will do coffee for that needed pick me up. (and I like a little coffee with my sugar if you know what I mean) Cream is optional depending on my mood.

Most of the day I run on good old Mountain Dew.

As for alcohol I'm not too picky. I like cheap beer. (PBR is my favorite) I like a sweet red wine most of the time and whiskey is my favorite spirit. Plain whiskey I will usually mix with soda of some sort but my guilty pleasure is Jack Daniels Honey on the rocks or homemade apple pie moonshine. Those make for a nice night cap.

• @jcameron Jan 31

Tea: Strong and black.
    Beer: Ales and craft beers.
    Spirits: A nice single malt whisky.

• @wen  Jan 31

Depends! I drink English style black teas at 3~4 minutes. Lapsang by itself, breakfast teas and PG tips with either lemon or milk.
    Chinese teas I kinda just wing it as I go

• @theodamus Jan 31

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    (With soy milk mmmm.)
    I like my coffee strong enough to kill a man even by NZ standards, and either black or with soy - soy flat whites are my jam.
    Allergic to gluten so I can't drink beer, so sauvignon blanc, syrah, cider or gin tend to be my drinks, and I drink so much water I get looked at weird in cafes when they're bringing over the third bottle for the table

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 31

According to the Department of Internal Affairs, I am a man even by NZ standards.

I have never drunk a coffee served to me by @theodamus.

• @theodamus Jan 31

And we're all very glad!

• @mannon Jan 31

Tea: mainly Chai and earl grey with lots of milk and sugar
    Coffee: normally I like it strong with only 1 teaspoon of sugar and creamer....but lately I've been adding these spiced chocolate tablets I got from a friend who lives in Honduras and they're really good haha

• @musicsongwriter Jan 31

@mkd thank you.

• @pooka Feb 1

Fairly standard. Tea from a teabag, any blend but preferably English Breakfast.

Boiling water straight from the kettle, doesn't need to be filtered. Milk, either one sugar or two sweeteners depending on what's available, medium strength.

That;s basically builder's tea, although I'm not a builder.

• @bethdesombre  Feb 1

Tea is my go to drink. Black (or, rather, green -- my favorite teas are greens and oolongs, though I have a spiced black tea I love in the winter). All looseleaf. And I'll make an exception and add milk for something like darjeeling or earl grey.

Coffee I had to learn to like but I like it a lot now -- generally with milk. Never sweet.

The whole point of hot beverages (and both of these I drink hot) is to NOT be sweet. In fact, I can't eat sweet things without having a hot beverage to cut the sweetness. If I don't have tea or coffee I won't eat the sweet thing.

• @ruiguo Feb 1

COLD! Love tea, love coffee even more, but never hot. Even in the winter and I live in a very cold place I have iced coffee. Sweet, no milk. Lager beer with lime juice if I'm at home (no one serves it like that where I live, picked up the habit in Mexico). But better than that, cheapish whiskey (not bourbon though) mixed with sweet iced coffee is my alcoholic beverage of choice. Yeah you DO learn a lot about people this way. As for milk, I love it straight and ice cold. Skim or 2% is my preference but whole, if that's all I get. But no UTC milk, or what my ex-military sister refers to as nuclear milk hahaha.

• @mkd  Feb 1

@ruiguo nuclear milk!!!! 😂

• @kraftec Feb 1

Drop of milk + two sugars. Lyons Tea only, no Barrys' please. Also, chamomile tea is nice. 😀

• @tigercat900 Feb 1

Splash o milk + 6 spoonfuls of sugar in black tea

• @nikke88 Feb 1

@tigercat900 isn't that already sugar with tea. 😀

• @complexissimple Feb 1

I like strong flavored but non-caffeinated teas, especially spicy ones, and I don't put anything in them. Although if I need something to cool my mouth down I may have a glass of cold milk with my tea (2% by preference, nonfat if it's all we've got (which it usually is), whole milk maybe in a restaurant, never 1% it's gross). Also, in my household, tea is always served in mugs, not tiny delicate teacups. We use those for nuts and other small finger foods apparently.

Never had iced tea, what a frightening concept.

Never had coffee, but I loathe the smell so much I hold my breath on that aisle of the grocery store and try to avoid hanging out at coffeeshops.

• @complexissimple Feb 1

@songsville How about:
    You sip from a dainty porcelain cup
    I'm like a bull in a china shop
    I like a quick jolt, you're more of a slow brew
    You leave the leaves in, on filters I stock up
    But we're similar in one point of view

At least we both like it hot...

• @wistah  Feb 1

I like me tea Chinese. I brew loose leaf Yunnan black needle, or white needle, or Se Chung oolong every day. I steep per the instructions on package. I have some Long Jin tea that is amazing too. That's brewed completely differently.

I like my Coffee turkish. Failing that, espresso, and black. Nowadays on my weight loss program I drink my coffee loaded up with butter and coconut oil. Don't ask.

I don't drink beer because I'm celiac. I don't drink wine because it has too many carbs for me.

I like my whiskey neat, with one ice cube, or on the rocks, depending on how good it is.

I like my Absinthe with cold, cold, cold water, 4:1 ratio slow drip over a sugar cube. Although now I use truvia because, well, diet.

• @the3queens  Feb 2

Tea plain. I like different ones, green, jasmine, lately coconut mango or chocolate mint.
    Coffee with almond or coconut milk or creamer. Sometimes black, sometimes with Stevia.
    Coffee in the morning, tea at night.
    Red wine alcohol of choice. Beer local IPA Dogfish or Yuengling

• @oblivionratula  Feb 2

Coffee black, tea plain, whiskeys straight no chaser, beer Guinness. Sensing a theme here?

• @songsville  Feb 4

@complexissimple Nice!

• @cicpisces Feb 5

Black
    English
    Unsweetened
    ... like my soul.

• @paulhenry  Feb 5

Tea: black, strong, slightly sweet.
    Coffee: also strong, just about any variation, but cappuccino is preferred.

One of the best forum questions ever.

• @juliska Feb 11

With cream & sugar (well, nowadays, Splenda). And I'm American. First got a taste for it this way when on a transatlantic BOAC flight & I was 6 years old.

• @keithcuts Feb 14

I take mine without the tea bag. Or milk or sugar. Wrote a song about it this afternoon as a matter of fact http://fawm.org/songs/82490/

• @zoom  Feb 14

Black english tea with milk, a bit more milk than a splash. Sugar too.
    Same thing with coffee.
    Trippel shot and a lot of milk and sugar. 😋😋

• @dwarvenlover Feb 14

raw sugar, lemon, english breakfast or generic green tea

• @airbagtester  Feb 14

Coffee: black
    Tea: black, with coffee in it instead of tea
    Beer: Yes.

• @brrrse  Feb 14

I am on my 3rd pot of tea for the day - in my grandmother's old teapot. and today, I'm adding a little milk and sugar just because. Maybe the pink inspired me.

• @visiblydistorted Feb 14

generally, bag in, few squirts of lemon... unless I have almond milk. then unsweetened almond milk instead... unless it's chai, then coconut milk would be ideal...unless it's green, or herbal like peppermint, then nothing but hot water, bag out. Unless it's like a rosehip and hibiscus, or something fruity, then maybe a bit of honey.

• @mkd  Mar 1

Am raising a mug of tea (weak, but not milky) to all of you! What a month! Thanks all! ☕️

A thought to finish...
    https://goo.gl/images/B9TVFS

• @bking  Mar 1

Irish breakfast tea with honey, lemon and bourbon.

• @persaab Mar 2

Coffee please black as metal thank you.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...