Jukebox this year?

Skip to the bottom

• @scottlake  Jan 20

Just curious. I recall there is some technical challenge that makes or made this difficult.

• @netnoise Jan 25

I think it was that so many songs were hosted on Soundcloud and YouTube in recent years.

• @tcelliott  Jan 26

Wasn't it @bunnyhero that set one up off site for us one year?

• @tesla3090  Jan 26

http://bunnyherolabs.com/fawm/

I don't think it works anymore though

• @kathym  Jan 26

I loved the jukebox. I had a log sheet that I kept of all of the songs I heard. I liked how it directed me to songs I probably never would have listened to. I made notes while listening and then at night went to the pages and left comments for them.

• @candle Jan 26

I miss the Jukebox. It was a great way (as others have said) to discover songs you would have never heard otherwise. Wish it could be brought back somehow…

See You In The Shadows…

• @netnoise Feb 1

You can get something close to the jukebox by subscribing to http://fawm.org/songs/feed with a podcast player.

• @jendistad  Feb 1

So, it may not have the search features of the old jukebox, but the "auto-play" and "auto-advance" options will keep you going through random songs, which can be nice. (=

• @scottlake  Feb 2

@netnoise that is good to know

• @faceofeinstein  Feb 2

That is good to know. It's unfortunate that it's a difficult task as I used to love it.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 2

For the command-line inclined (works on linux (may need to apt-get -install curl mpg123 ), should work on OSX) a brute force method is:
    curl http://fawm.org/songs/feed |grep mp3|cut -f2 -d\" | mpg123 -@ -

I may spiffy-up a script/flat db to not replay songs. May not.

• @brownium Feb 2

I loved @bunnyhero's jukebox, but alas, changes in FAWM broke it. If I can get through the many other projects I am busy with, I my try my hand at creating one.

• @airbagtester  Feb 2

@oblivionratula Says "cut: option requires an argument -- 'd' " Does that mean a delimiter needs to be specified?

Then I get curl: (23) Failed writing body. I assume this is because of the cut error though?

• @oblivionratula  Feb 2

@airbagtester Sorry, my cut/paste didn't survive and I should have checked. You need to escape the delimiter, since it's a quote. That section should read: cut -f2 -d\" <--- with a backslash in front of the quotation mark.

• @airbagtester  Feb 2

@oblivionratula Okay thanks!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 2

FYI, that hack may have problems with some/all Dropbox links. First one I ran across failed, but I don't have time to look into it right now. May have just been share permissions on that particular track.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 7

This has now melded into a bash script which can handle Dropbox now, but Soundcloud and any YouTube links are still MIA. I can't do anything about that with the provided RSS - there's no actual links to SoundCloud songs in it. Bit of a bummer there.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...