Music for kids

Skip to the bottom

• @acromie  Jan 2018

Last FAWM I wrote half kids music and half other stuff, however, since then, my kids stuff has taken off and will very likely end up being the majority of my contributions. This is my third FAWM and this year I think I'm finally going to make it to 14. Maybe even more, I already have a bazillion ideas floating around.

Anyone else plan on writing music for kids? I'd love to add a few folks with similar stylings to my watch list.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

Oh, I'll probably end up doing a kids' song or two, though it won't be my Big Thing like last year's Alphabet Adjective project was (which my kids LOVED).

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 2018

I did a couple of childrenโ€™s songs a few years ago. Itโ€™s not my focus, but I wonโ€™t rule it out if the ideas come. ๐Ÿ˜€ Good to see you finding some success with your music!

• @guatecoop  Jan 2018

I wrote one two years ago and I got my son in on it, too. I had the goal to write another last year, but didnt. So, this year I want to do a kid song...I love the idea, but I don't write lyrics...so I guess my wife will have to help with that.

• @krayzie003  Jan 2018

I wrote one last year for my son. I may do that again but not really my focus for 2018.

• @darcistrutt  Jan 2018

Most of my lyric tends to be child-like or at the very least kid-friendly. Often I collab with my grandchildren and base lyric on their stories. They love that! My second-born grandchild especially. He'll come running to me when we visit and say, "Grandma I have a song idea!" I love being the Grandma-that-creates-songs. Of course I reserve the right to create something totally inappropriate for children, and will label that NSFW if it bubbles to the surface...but I'm mostly harmless.

• @krayzie003  Jan 2018

@darcistrutt. Thats awesome.

• @mctown Jan 2018

cool

• @chipwithrow  Jan 2018

My first FAWM was mostly kids music - I think the second FAWM, too. My daughter was 6-7 at the time, and she gave me lots of ideas. I used to perform kids music locally.
    I've written songs for nieces and nephews, but they are growing up, too. I might write one or two this time around that could be considered kid, or family, songs.
    My daughter turns 16 in 5 days, and she takes voice lessons. She used to sing on my songs, but I hadn't asked her since the lessons began. Until now - she said she'd do it, and she wants to write a sequel to a song from 5 or so years ago.

• @janes Jan 2018

I only write lyrics, but I do write some childrens lyrics....

• @wobbiewobbit  Jan 2018

yep i will probably do some kids songs, quite possibly some kids collaborations with my local young loved ones

• @musicsongwriter Jan 2018

I might do kids compositions too, had many in the past, will be nice to have a try again.

• @skittycat  Jan 2018

Yeah I did a couple of kids ones last time. My son is almost 5 (it's his birthday in the middle of FAWM) and he inspires me to come up with little dittys that are really just for us. Of course, being an almost five year old boy he takes my beautifully crafted lyrics of motherly love and makes all the songs about farts and poo.
    He's quite a singer too. As soon as i can sneak a recording of him I'll have him on here ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @vegansongs  Jan 2018

I hope to write a couple of Kids songs again for my second FAWM!

• @acromie  Jan 2018

Yay! I'm so excited to see so many folks writing in this genre. I'll be sure to watch you all.

• @yam655 Jan 2018

I tend to do a certain amount of a-capella specifically for my own kids. While I tried to step away from the a-capella stuff last year, I'm back to my roots this year, which will include more crapcapella and more songs recorded with for my kids.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

Of course, the @metalfootlings are kids themselves, so you could argue anything they'll do is also music for/by/with kids!

• @scottlake  Jan 2018

My 2nd FAWM was all kids music and probably my only output that I know lives in the active playlist of someone that I care about; one of my nephews. Kids music is tougher than it seems.

• @acromie  Jan 2018

@metalfoot I wish I could get my kids involved. I tried last year, but they just yelled into the microphones, and then got bored and ran off. I'll try again this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

@acromie Well, I don't force them into it. They just kind of want to do what dad's doing... so I have an older Olympus voice recorder that they can record stuff on, and then I do minimal editing and upload it for them. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @thetau  Jan 2018

Just a kid at heart I am...
    Russ ๐Ÿ˜€

• @skittycat  Jan 2018

My five year old has created new lyrics for "Smells Like Ten Spirit" which I will have to get recorded for posterity.
    He's a cool kid - loves his 90s grunge and rock

• @acromie  Jan 2018

@skittycat Yes! I want to hear it!

• @andygetch  Jan 2018

Most of my songs (except for the odd now and then prompt) are family friendly. Probably will write a few kids songs. @acromie maybe if you suggested a tag like #kidssongs it would make them easier to find?

• @acromie  Feb 2018

Anyone on this thread actually write a children's song yet? I'm just finally getting back to fawm. The death of my 8 yo nephew really took a toll on me.

The good news is that I have twenty songs started. (Ideas only really). Now I just have to get to work.

I'd love to listen to anything you've created so far, maybe that will get me back in the mood for writing my own.

• @michaelbone Feb 2018

all of our songs from last year were for our child! this year, still inspired by ๐Ÿ˜€ soundcloud.com/bonebabes

• @nuj4x Feb 2018

You know what? I bet I could make kids themed EDM songs. Never thought about that before reading this thread but Iโ€™m sure I could do it lol

That might be cool

• @metalfoot  Feb 2018

@acromie That would take a toll on anyone. Sorry for your loss.
    This song wasn't written, strictly speaking, as a kids' song, but my kids haven't stopped singing it.
    http://fawm.org/songs/78502/

• @mkd  Feb 2018

@acromie how devastating for you and your family. My thoughts are with you.

• @ianuarius  Feb 2018

The way I see it, the sooner kids learn about demons and vampires, the better.

• @acromie  Feb 2018

@ianuarius ha! Absolutely!

• @yam655 Feb 2018

@nuj4x Kids themed EDM would likely be a hit around here.

• @nuj4x Feb 2018

@yam655 you know, it never occurred to me to do that, but Iโ€™m sure I could or anyone could, really!

I feel like the kicker would be making sure the lyrics were appealing to children and not using real harsh audio textures when building beats. Simple would be better, less is more I think!

Soft risers, non-glitchy transitions, etc

• @ianuarius  Feb 2018

As a kid I liked Mr President, Captain Jack, Roxette, Michael Jackson... you know, the stuff I like now.

• @guatecoop  Mar 14

http://fawm.org/songs/87597/
    Here's my kids' song....I didn't do one last year and was disappointed that I didn't. So, this topic was thought up by my son on a morning drive, lyrics and singing by my wife, and music by me. My son and I also did the sound effects and some background singing. Enjoy.

http://fawm.org/songs/87597/

• @johncrossman  Mar 14

I don't recommend giving kids music. It just seems dangerous. Could lead to all kinds of things later on in life. Like fawm.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Mar 14

@johncrossman LOL.
    And, throwing my hat in the ring, I've written music for kids of all ages for years.

I have some songs that elementary/middle school age kids seem to love quite a bit.

And as a middle school teacher, that makes me happy. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @mishykatz  Mar 16

haha @johncrossman I did not intend it but most of my songs this year seem to be kid-friendly or kid-inspired and definitely happy-go-lucky. I think it's beginning to be a 'style'

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...