inspirational quotes

Skip to the bottom

• @tsunamidaily Jan 2018

Writing in "The Art of the Short Story", Hemingway explains: "A few things I have found to be true. If you leave out important things or events that you know about, the story is strengthened. If you leave or skip something because you do not know it, the story will be worthless. The test of any story is how very good the stuff that you, not your editors, omit."

• @auditasum Jan 2018

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
    - Joseph Chilton Pearce

Done is better than perfect.
    - Sheryl Sandberg

• @jonmeta  Jan 19

The only wrong way to write a song is not to write it.
    —Billy Bragg

• @johncrossman  Jan 20

"Do not worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to." -Robert Henri.

• @tsunamidaily Jan 20

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."

[MovieMaker Magazine #53 - Winter, January 22, 2004 ]”
    ― Jim Jarmusch

• @mdavisto  Jan 20

@tsunamidaily - absolutely my favourite quote about creativity.

• @aflinner  Jan 20

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."
    -Arthur Ashe

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great."
    -Zig Ziglar

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
    -George Bernard Shaw

"Confidence is overrated. Most overly confident people are obnoxious. More important is courage: to take the first step and move forward despite fear or insecurity."
    -Dani Shapiro

• @johncrossman  Jan 20

”I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them.” -Picasso.

• @tiller2  Jan 20

"inspirational quotes" aka potential hooks?

In any case, many of these are brilliant...

• @johncrossman  Jan 20

"Finish what you’re writing. Whatever you have to do to finish it, finish it."-Neil Gaiman

• @tsunamidaily Jan 21

Don’t loaf and invite inspiration; light out after it with a club, and if you don’t get it you will nonetheless get something that looks remarkably like it.
    Jack London, "Getting into Print," 1905

this is his original phrasing, which has been paraphrased for modern readers.

• @johncrossman  Jan 21

"Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up." -Chuck Close

• @yam655 Jan 21

Here's a quote I try to live by:
    "I don't do drugs. I am drugs." ~ Salvador Dali

I've gone so far as put it up in my house as an inspirational quote for my kids.

• @jamkar  Jan 22

"My Mother wanted me to become a doctor. My Father wanted me to become a general. But instead, I became Picasso."

• @tsunamidaily Jan 23

Art is theft.

-- Pablo Picasso

• @songsville  Jan 23

@tsunamidaily As an accomplished loafer, I am very grateful that you found Jack's original phrasing ... it's a much better quote that way.

• @johncrossman  Jan 24

"...if your fidelity to perfectionism is too high, you never do anything." -David Foster Wallace

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 24

"songwriting is like a toilet"

- @steffanpitzel

(There's a motivational image somewhere)

• @tsunamidaily Jan 24

One of the surest tests [of the superiority or inferiority of a poet] is the way in which a poet borrows. Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion. A good poet will usually borrow from authors remote in time, or alien in language, or diverse in interest.

-- Eliot, T.S., “Philip Massinger,” The Sacred Wood, New York: Bartleby.com, 2000.

• @bking  Jan 24

Normal is just the middle of the mess. -Monroe from Grimm

• @bradbrubaker  Jan 24

Brené Brown quotes on perfectionism and more:
    "Practice self-compassion. We need to be kind and tender with ourselves. Most of us talk to ourselves in ways we would NEVER consider talking to other people. We are critical [of ourselves] instead of kind. We are judgmental [of ourselves] instead of loving. Perfectionism is ultimately a struggle for worthiness and there’s no better place to start than remembering that our imperfections and vulnerabilities connect us to each other and to our humanity."

"Perfectionism is self-destructive simply because there is no such thing as perfect. Perfection is an unattainable goal. Additionally, perfectionism is more about perception - we want to be perceived as perfect. Again, this is unattainable - there is no way to control perception, regardless of how much time and energy we spend trying."

"Perfectionism is a self-destructive and addictive belief system that fuels this primary thought: If I look perfect and do everything perfectly, I can av

• @konemake  Jan 24

"If you really want to do something, really want to do something.
    Don't wait to be asked, don't seek permission, don't put off until you have passed the right exams a pay or saved enough money but be prepared to risk complete failure.
    Don't give a shit about whatever your mates or girlfriend or boyfriend think. Whatever it is start now today, tomorrow is always too late."
    - Bill Drummond
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIrGx...

• @tsunamidaily Jan 25

The only art I'll ever study is stuff that i can steal from.

-- David Bowie

• @bking  Jan 25

Whether you think you can or cannot. you are probably right. --Henry Ford

• @tsunamidaily Jan 27

What is originality? Undetected plagiarism.

-- William Ralph Inge

• @tcelliott  Jan 27

I meme'd some of the ones from the 50/90 thread. You can look through them here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/2449103...

• @tsunamidaily Jan 27

thank you, @tcelliott

• @mikeskliar  Jan 27

all good stuff... here's some of my favorites, from the one and only Bob Dylan..(prize for the person who gets the source of every one of these quotes, at least one is fairly obscure) "he not busy being born is busy dyin " ..... 'to live outside the law you must be honest", 'when you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose", 'even the swap meets around here are getting pretty corrupt', 'steal a little and they'll throw you in jail, steal a lot and they'll make you king', 'when you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more/I'm just goin' down the road feelin bad, trying to get to heaven before they close the door'.... (got a little carried away there!....)

• @paulhenry  Jan 27

I'm paraphrasing here, but, in an interview, Stephen King said, at the time, that God doled out talent like a butcher. Some writers get sirloin, some get filet mignon. He figures he got stew beef. But, he said, I can learn to make a REALLY good stew.

• @tsunamidaily Jan 28

I don't believe in art. I believe in artists.

-- Marcel Duchamp

• @jonmeta  Jan 28

“If you’re gonna be a songwriter, then write songs. Don’t talk about writing them.” (Jimmy Webb)

And then there's this... Not sure if it inspires me or scares me off. But I believe it.

“I believe that songwriting is an unconscious thing. I don't think that anybody can really concentrate on music and write music. I think it comes from a higher place in your mind. I'm almost sure of that. You can see these keys and relate to how the different chords relate to each other. But I think the real, real music being made comes from your heart.” (Brian Wilson)

• @tsunamidaily Jan 29

You start out as a phony and become real.

-- Glenn O'Brien

• @tsunamidaily Jan 29

If you write one story, it might be bad: if you write a hundred, you have the odds in your favor.

-- Edgar Rice Burroughs

• @tsunamidaily Jan 30

One day I will find the right words and they will be simple.

-- Jack Kerouac

• @elesimo  Jan 30

"Nobody tells this to people who are beginners. I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase. They quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this..."

• @elesimo  Jan 30

"...We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It’s only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through."""

-- Ira Glass

• @arthurrossi Jan 30

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

• @bootlegger Jan 30

"Man, sometimes it takes you a long time to sound like yourself."

-Miles Davis

• @arthurrossi Jan 30

“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• @halfwalk Jan 30

A poem that I find poignant and oddly inspiring, of which I will butcher the formatting to convey it in a forum post here:

"Once again, I hear of somebody who is going to do their work, painting or writing or whatever, as soon as they get a better light installed or as soon as they move to a new city or as soon as they come back from the trip they have been planning or as soon as... It's simple: they just don't want to do it, otherwise they'd feel a burning itch from hell they could not ignore and 'soon' would quickly turn into 'now.'" - Charles Bukowski.

• @halfwalk Jan 30

Another Bukowski gem that lights a fire under my ass:

"You know, I've either had a family, a job, something has always been in the way, but now I've sold my house, I've found this place, a large studio, you should see the space and the light. For the first time in my life I'm going to have a place and the time to create. No baby, if you're going to create you're going to create whether you work 16 hours a day in a coal mine or you're going to create in a small room with 3 children while you're on welfare, you're going to create with part of your mind and your body blown away, you're going to create blind crippled demented, you're going to create with a cat crawling up your back while the whole city trembles in earthquakes, bombardment, flood and fire. Baby, air and light and time and space have nothing to do with it and don't create anything except maybe a longer life to find new excuses for."

• @arthurrossi Jan 31

“Tears are words that need to be written.”
    ― Paulo Coelho

• @tsunamidaily Jan 31

We are all born mad. Some remain so.

-- Samuel Beckett

• @mauramer Jan 31

"Give yourself permission to suck."

I heard it from Dan Mangan at a songwriting workshop but I'm not sure if he was the originator or not.

• @tsunamidaily Feb 1

Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find yourself.

-- Yohji Yamamoto

• @arthurrossi Feb 1

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).”
    ― Mark Twain

• @tsunamidaily Feb 2

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

-- Salvador Dali

• @arthurrossi Feb 2

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”
    ― Albert Einstein

• @persaab Feb 2

”Come on, Frank, let's finish this! I got work to do!”
    -Vince Majestyk-

• @jorh Feb 2

“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood”
    Marie Curie

• @tsunamidaily Feb 3

We want you to take from us. We want you, at first, to steal from us, because you can’t steal. You will take what we give you and you will put it in your own voice and that’s how you will find your voice. And that’s how you begin. And then one day someone will steal from you.

— Francis Ford Coppola

• @arthurrossi Feb 3

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

• @djevans53 Feb 3

Yesterday I was clever and I wanted to change the world. Today, I am wise and I want to change myself.

• @elesimo  Feb 3

@djevans53 love that one!

• @arthurrossi Feb 3

“If you want to be happy, be.”
    ― Leo Tolstoy

• @tsunamidaily Feb 4

If you have one person you're influenced by, people will say you're the next whoever. But if you rip off a hundred people, everyone will say you're so original!

-- Gary Panter

• @nuerdetjuligen  Feb 4

"If you don't produce, you're consumed by consumption."

--T shirt maker/salesman on the street in Seattle

• @arthurrossi Feb 4

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
    ― John Lennon

• @tsunamidaily Feb 5

You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.

-- C.S. Lewis

• @sbs2018 Feb 5

"Letter to a Young Songwriter" - Mary Gauthier

Warning: a songwriter’s life is not what you think it is.

Music is more than a bouquet of sweet vibrations; it is something from a higher world, which we humans have been given the power to invoke. Artists are alchemists, with our hands in the holy. The Sacred. Yes, there is great power in creating music, but also great danger. The journey of the artist is filled with pitfalls. Where there is great beauty and the power to move millions on this path, there is always great risk.

Songwriting is a noble calling that requires more than talent and perseverance. It requires courage. If you are willing to face yourself and honestly reveal in your songs what you’ve seen in that unveiling of yourself, then you have a chance of writing songs that will outlive you.

What can we gain by walking on the moon and planets if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves?

This is the most important of all voyages, and it is the job of the artist. The object of art is not to make salable products. It is to save one’s self, and to be a part of saving us all. Either we tell our story, or our story tells us.

And know this:

A half-truth is a whole lie.

Character, like integrity, is much easier kept than recovered. So write from your true self, not the self you think you should be. Do not try to impress us, and do not hide behind thin walls and smoke screens. It will only bore us. Brutal self-honesty is your challenge, and will reward you with much more than you can yet imagine.

You must learn how to reject acceptance and accept rejection. People’s opinions of you and your work are irrelevant. The search for love and applause has no place in the creative process. Here is what I know: thriving artists suffer from a feeling of inferiority, a feeling of reaching for something that keeps being just outside our grasp. We make contact with it, and then it turns to smoke. It cannot be held. (rest at kathyholmes.net

• @arthurrossi Feb 5

“I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.”
    ― Kurt Cobain

• @tsunamidaily Feb 6

There isn't a move that's a new move.

-- Kobe Bryant

• @erikdidriksen  Feb 6

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
    ― Frank Zappa

• @arthurrossi Feb 6

“He who jumps into the void owes no explanation to those who stand and watch.”
    ― Jean-Luc Godard

• @tsunamidaily Feb 7

The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life.

-- Jessica Hische

• @tsunamidaily Feb 7

Elmore Leonard said "If work was a good thing, the rich would have it all and not let you do it."

• @arthurrossi Feb 7

“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr.

• @tsunamidaily Feb 8

You can't connect the dots going forward, you can only connect them looking backwards.

-- Steve Jobs

• @tsunamidaily Feb 9

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.

-- Howard Aiken

• @tsunamidaily Feb 10

It isn't necessary that you leave home. Sit at your desk and listen. Don't even listen, just wait. Don't wait, be still and alone. The whole world will offer itself to you.

― Franz Kafka

• @arthurrossi Feb 10

“You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
    ― Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi

• @tsunamidaily Feb 11

There's only one rule I know of: You've got to be kind.

-- Kurt Vonnegut

• @arthurrossi Feb 11

“When people don't express themselves, they die one piece at a time.”
    ― Laurie Halse Anderson

• @tsunamidaily Feb 12

Complain about the way other people make software by making software.

-- Andre Torrez

• @tsunamidaily Feb 13

A caterpillar who seeks to know himself would never become a butterfly.

-- Andre Gide

• @tsunamidaily Feb 13

If you get an idea you just elaborate on it. If you're singing about a house, you talk about the shingles, you talk about the door, the window... there aren't any rules. I hate to sound flowery, but that's what i learned from Bob Dylan. He did that. He broke all the rules. His songs didn't have any bridges.

-- Lucinda Williams

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 13

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm. -- Emerson

• @rainchaser  Feb 13

If a song can't be written in 20 minutes, it ain't worth writing. - Hank Williams

• @tsunamidaily Feb 13

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.
    Henry J. Kaiser

• @arthurrossi Feb 13

“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
    ― George Eliot

• @tsunamidaily Feb 14

Modern art = I could do that + Yeah, but you didn't.

-- Craig Damrauer

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 14

"If you can write any kind of song, you're a songwriter. If you can write a song you like, you're a good songwriter. If you can write a song other people like, you're a great songwriter." -- Me, patterned after a similar quote by Pete Seeger about being a musician

• @captainvulpine  Feb 14

"You're only here because your mum fucked your dad"
    -Rogue birds I wouldn't share bread with.

• @arthurrossi Feb 14

“Trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit.”
    ― Molière

• @jamkar  Feb 15

You write to become immortal, or because the piano happens to be open, or you've looked into a pair of beautiful eyes."
    Robert Schumann

• @tsunamidaily Feb 15

Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work.

-- Gustave Flaubert

• @arthurrossi Feb 15

“There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• @tsunamidaily Feb 17

My strength, probably, is I can recognize a song in a few bars. I spot the embryo there. I've been writing since so early on that the antenna is really well-developed. If I pick up an instrument, it'll come to me. I don't go searching. I don't have that God aspect about it. I prefer to think of myself as an antenna. There's only one song, and Adam and Eve wrote it; the rest is a variation on a theme.

-- Keith Richards

• @arthurrossi Feb 17

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi

• @halfwalk Feb 17

"“Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized.” - Leo Buscaglia

Memories can warp and fade. And you probably won't know it when you've run out of tomorrows. So eventually you may have to accept that today might just be the most important day of your life.

• @arthurrossi Feb 17

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

• @rainchaser  Feb 17

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

• @arthurrossi Feb 17

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison

• @tsunamidaily Feb 18

She rescued me. I'd be playing in a steak house right now if it wasn't for her. I wouldn't even be playing in a steak house, I'd be _cooking_ in a steak house.

-- Tom Waits, on his wife and collaborator, KathleenBrennan

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 18

“A pamphlet, no matter how good, is never read more than once, but a song is learned by heart and repeated over and over; I maintain that if a person can put a few cold, common sense facts into a song, and dress them up in a cloak of humor to take the dryness off of them, he will succeed in reaching a great number of workers who are too unintelligent or too indifferent to read a pamphlet or an editorial on economic science.” —Joe Hill

• @arthurrossi Feb 18

“Everything you can imagine is real.”
    ― Pablo Picasso

• @tsunamidaily Feb 19

Telling yourself you have all the time in the world, all the money in the world, all the colors in the palette, anything you want — that just kills creativity.

-- Jack White

• @arthurrossi Feb 19

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
    ― Maya Angelou

• @tsunamidaily Feb 20

What we respond to in any work of art is the artist's struggle against his or her limitations.

-- Saul Steinberg

• @arthurrossi Feb 20

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Narcotics Anonymous

• @tsunamidaily Feb 21

Successful song lyrics put forward complex ideas in very simple language.

-- Sylvia Tyson

• @tsunamidaily Feb 22

These days i can use less words and say what i need to quicker. Like a smart bomb.

-- Henry Rollins

• @arthurrossi Feb 22

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

• @tsunamidaily Feb 23

As for humour in lyric writing, it's always better to be funny than clever-- and a lot harder.

-- Stephen Sondheim

• @arthurrossi Feb 23

“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
    ― Paulo Coelho

• @tsunamidaily Feb 24

An actor's "entrance-focus-energy-exit," a painter's use of shading, an architect's attention to the space between the columns, all apply equally well to songwriting."

-- Janis Ian

• @coolparadiso  Feb 24

I actually wrote a song that is just qoutes. With the chorus a quote changed around. Was going to do some music later so it sort of talky. It is. http://fawm.org/songs/85625/

• @coolparadiso  Feb 24

I actually wrote a song that is just qoutes. With the chorus a quote changed around. Was going to do some music later so it sort of talky. It is. http://fawm.org/songs/85625/. Seems to want it twice. - cant get rid if it

• @arthurrossi Feb 24

“It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”
    ― Lewis Carroll

• @tsunamidaily Feb 25

All my songs have been very simply stated, right from the beginning. How much clearer can you get than "Hello, Walls"?

-- Willie Nelson

• @tsunamidaily Feb 26

The best tunes are the simplest. I believe that it was Paul McCartney who said that the best songs have no more than twenty-five words in them.

-- Peter McCann

• @tsunamidaily Feb 27

All the best songs don't feel like they've been stuck together. They flow from beginning to end.

-- Geddy Lee

• @tsunamidaily Feb 27

If you give up on your dreams, what's left?

-- Jim Carrey

• @tsunamidaily Feb 28

I think a lot of writers try to avoid writing the same song over and over again, but I put booze, a blonde and a car in most of my tunes.

-- Tom Waits

• @tsunamidaily Mar 1

I have always believed that anyone can write a song, even a good song, but it takes a professional songwriter to continue to write good songs. It's not an accident, it's a knack.

-- Irving Berlin

• @tsunamidaily Mar 2

I do a sort of analysis of a song more often when I don't like it. The reason is because I wonder if I'm missing something. How does this song get to be number one and sell a zillion copies when I hate it?

-- Carol Bayer Sager

• @tsunamidaily Mar 3

Art is the most beautiful deception of all. And although
    people try to incorporate the everyday events of life in it,
    we must hope that it will remain a deception lest it become a
    utilitarian thing, sad as a factory.

-- Claude Debussy

• @tsunamidaily Mar 4

It's easy to be simple and be bad, but to be simple and be good is very difficult.

-- Hal David

• @tsunamidaily Mar 5

To me, pop songs are the folk music of high-tech countries.

-- David Byrne

• @tsunamidaily Mar 6

If I knew where the good songs come from, I'd go there more often.

-- Leonard Cohen

• @tsunamidaily Mar 6

When words fail, music speaks.

-- Hans Christian Anderson

• @tsunamidaily Mar 8

I have spent my life escaping boredom, not because I am bored, but because I don't want to be.

-- Cole Porter

• @tsunamidaily Mar 9

The German poet Rilke said, "Good art is born of necessity."

-- John Hiatt

• @tsunamidaily Mar 10

Every time you start, you start from scratch. You have your talent, you have your excitement about your idea, and you have certain knowledge of musical and lyrical ideas, but you never know a song is a hit when you're writing it.

-- Alan O'Day

• @tsunamidaily Mar 11

I decide on which mixture of a tune to use and then I find it about a dozen times easier to herd my words into my tune i've already built for them.

-- Woody Guthrie

• @tsunamidaily Mar 12

I do some of my best writing driving around. I don't keep a pad with me. That's one of my faults. Think about the lines that got away.

-- John Prine

• @tsunamidaily Mar 12

Journalists, for the most part, always tend to tune into a lyric. I've never wanted to print my lyrics on my LPs because lyrics are not poetry. They're part of songwriting; they're coloring, and they have to be heard at the same time as the music.

-- Billy Joel

• @tsunamidaily Mar 14

Paul Simon said, "Say what you have to say in your own way and say it as simply and clearly as possible, and then get the hell out of there."

-- Melissa Manchester

• @tsunamidaily Mar 15

It's his (Elvis Costello's) use of the English language-- it's beautiful and also a tough language. Costello has tied them both together.... He's the godfather of the whole new wave. I don't think you can be a thinking writer and not have been affected by him.

-- Billy Joel

• @tsunamidaily Mar 16

You just sit down and do it. I mean, these songs don't just pop off the top of your head when you're walking down the street. You can have the thread of an idea, but you've got to sit down and write it down and work it out, and this sometimes takes a couple of days.

-- Gordon Lightfoot

• @tsunamidaily Mar 17

Writers are a cruel lot, aren't they? They just raid life.

-- Joni Mitchell

• @tsunamidaily Mar 18

Everybody I admire is either dead or really sick.

-- Tom Waits

• @tsunamidaily Mar 20

I'd like to write more, but it's like learning tennis at thirty-nine; you have to take lessons before you can get good enough to enjoy it.

-- Bonnie Raitt

• @tsunamidaily Mar 21

The secret of a great melody is a secret.

-- Dave Brubeck

• @tsunamidaily Mar 22

No real writer is ever bored, except by himself.

-- Janis Ian

• @tsunamidaily Mar 23

I care not who writes a nation's laws, if I may write its songs.

-- Anonymous

• @tsunamidaily Mar 24

When I write songs, I don't think. There's no thinking process. In fact, it's a non-thinking process. It's very difficult for me to talk about it because when I write I'm not thinking about it, I'm just doing it.

-- Van Morrison

• @tsunamidaily Mar 25

I'm different. It's allowed.

-- David Byrne

• @tsunamidaily Mar 26

I don't like straight lines. The problem is that most instruments are square and music is round.

-- Tom Waits

• @tsunamidaily Mar 27

Don't let the critic become bigger than the creator.

-- Randy Newman

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...