Annual 4-Track Cassette Challenge!!

Skip to the bottom

• @zecoop  Jan 15

We have a growing number of brave souls who go OLD-school each FAWM and record a part onto cassette tape. The physical tape is then mailed through the post, to the next person on the list, who adds one part and sends it on to the next person. The last person mixes the four tracks and uploads the song. The results have been amazing.

This one from 2016 was a straight up garage rocker:
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/hid...

This one from 2015 sounded like a legit 80's college radio song:
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/emo...

Here’s another from 2016 that had kind of an 80’s alternative vibe:
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/wat...

And this 2015 one was every bit a 60's surf rave-up a-la Link Wray!
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/mis...

If you have a functional 4-track cassette tape player speak up... Please understand that for this project to work, you must commit to make time to complete your parts as fast as possible and mail them using USPS Priority Mail (or something else that will arrive in several days. Nothing worse than putting effort in and then having the tape die in the mail, or on a desk somewhere.

• @zecoop  Jan 15

Some additional info:
    We try to make it as universal as possible, so all tapes are recorded at standard speed (not 2X) and without noise-reduction, since not all players have these features. Of course, not all players play at the same speed either, so there are always some unexpected sounds and effects. ☺

The first person will record their part on the first track and a click track on a separate track (unless the first part is a drum part that will keep the beat). Any notes that tell the collaborators the structure and chords are very much appreciated (V, V, Ch, V, Br, etc…). The last person records over the click track (if there is one), mixes and puts it up on FAWM. Be sure to write on the label what instrument you played, what track # it is on and your FAWM name.

All those who have participated in previous years have found it to be a VERY fun experience re-living the glory days of analog!!! Each song has turned out to be such a sonic adventure. If you are interested let me know! We can get you added to the snail-mail address list.
    @pfoo @standup @cynthiawolff @marvsmooth @fourzeroes @songsville @alboe @nancyrost @eargoggle @guatecoop @burrsettles @bachelorb @brrrse @xna1321 @cts @shoehaze

• @bachelorb  Jan 15

I'm in!!!!!
    ......my glory days of analog ended in 1982 when I decided my album collection made great frisbees and threw most of them out the dorm window....... (......alcohol may or may not have been involved.......)

• @brrrse  Jan 15

I am here and ready to go!!! Lets DO this! RAWR

• @guatecoop  Jan 15

I have to make sure my 4 track is good to go....bought a fostex and ALWAYS used tascams in the past. They just are not the same in layout, organization, or terminology....

• @guatecoop  Jan 15

I also LOVED my docorder reel to reel 4 track...maybe next year we will do a reel to reel 4 channel challenge! Well, prob not.

• @nancyrost  Jan 15

Count me in!

• @vomvorton  Jan 15

Don't think I've used my 4-track since last FAWM, definitely keen to get involved again!

• @zecoop  Jan 16

@vomvorton - same here... But I sure hope you can do some of these! Your stuff is always ace. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Jan 16

Tape 1
    Track 1: @ZeCoop
    Track 2: @cynthiawolff
    Track 3: @bachelorb
    Track 4: @elesimo

Tape 2
    Track 1: @Alboe
    Track 2: @vomvorton
    Track 3: @fourzeroes
    Track 4 @wobbiewobbit

Tape 3
    Track 1 @bachelorb
    Track 2 @nancyrost
    Track 3 @guatecoop
    Track 4 @standup/@pfoo

Tape 4
    Track 1: @guatecoop
    Track 3: @nancyrost
    Track 4: @shoehaze

Tape 5
    Track 1 @vomvorton
    Track 2 @marvsmooth
    Track 3 @alboe
    Track 4 @shoehaze

Tape 6
    Track 1 @pfoo
    Track 2 @standup
    Track 3 @Cynthiawolff
    Track 4 @elesimo

Tape 7
    Track 1: @pfoo
    Track 2: @standup
    Track 3: @cts
    Track 4: @burrsettles

**Tape 8**
    Track 1: @marvsmooth
    Track 2: @fourzeroes
    Track 3: @vomvorton
    Track 4: @cts

Tape 9
    Track 1: @Alboe (digitally)
    Track 2: @Marvsmooth
    Track 3:@vomvorton
    Track 4: @wobbiewobbit

Tape 9b - ORIGINAL (thanks post office)
    Track 1: @Alboe - bass and drums
    Track 2: @Marvsmooth (different than 9)
    Track 3:@vomvorton (ditto)
    Track 4:@fourzeroes

Tape 10
    Track 1 @eargoggle
    Track 2 @zecoop
    Track 3 @standup
    Track 4 @pfoo

Tape 11
    Track 1: @elesimo
    Track 3: @nancyrost
    Track 4: @zecoop

Tape 12
    Track 1: @eargoggle
    Track 2: @zecoop
    Track 3: @guatecoop
    Track 4: @burrsettles -

Tape 13
    Track 1: @cts
    Track 2: @elesimo
    Track 3: @cloudboy
    Track 4: @oblivionratula

Tape 14
    Track 1: @guatecoop
    Track 3: @pfoo
    Track 4: @zecoop

Tape 15
    Track 1 - @santadharma
    Track 2 - @lanasolyluna
    Track 3 - @marvsmooth
    Track 4 - @zecoop

Tape 16
    Track 1 - @Zecoop
    Track 2 - @Marvsmooth
    Track 3 - @Wobbiewobbit
    Track 4 - @vomvorton

Tape 17
    Track 1 - @nancyrost,
    Track 2 - @bachelorb,
    Track 3 - @oblivionratula
    Track 4 - @guatecoop

Tape 18
    Track 1: @metalfoot
    Track 2: @marvsmooth
    Track 4:@zecoop

• @alboe Jan 16

@zecoop
    Ok I'm in.
    I can start a tape.
    Will probably be a basspart plus clicktrack/drums.
    Are there enough Europe mainland participators this time?
    Although I must say that last year the biggest kick was getting the tape from me (the Netherlands) to the UK and then to the US in time and with a marvellous song as an endresult.

• @brrrse  Jan 16

@shoehaze -

• @zecoop  Jan 16

@alboe - That. Was. Awesome. Do you have a link to that song online? πŸ˜€

If I missed anyone in my tags, please tag them so I can figure out who we have from where. I know we had some Aussies too. πŸ˜€

• @burrsettles  Jan 16

@zecoop I will make a request to go LAST (track 4) for ONE of the tapes, as I'll probably only have the last week of February to work on this due to work travel. πŸ˜€ I can probably contribute whatever's left over (vocals, guitar, bass, drums, synth) and don't mind being surprised.

• @zecoop  Jan 16

Sounds perfect @burrsettles ! It's ALWAYS a surprise, lol. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Jan 16

I have every hope of being part of this, this year. But we shall see what comes up... it relies (obviously) on my being able to use a 4-track machine... which I don't (yet) have... but I'd like to have....

• @alboe Jan 16

@zecoop
    If we are talking about Hot Peppergirl I think you finished and posted it.
    I'm not even sure if I have downloaded it, it was here on the
    site but now obviously it's gone.
    Will check later if I have it somewhere.

• @zecoop  Jan 16

@alboe - YES!! I couldn't remember which one it was, but here it is. This song was so much fun. It was hard to record the drums because the song made me crack up so much. πŸ˜€

The Legend of the Hot Chili Pepper Girl
    https://zecoop.bandcamp.com/track/the...

• @vomvorton  Jan 16

@zecoop @alboe I had so much fun playing guitar on that one! It definitely sounds even better for having traveled halfway around the world, too 😁

• @alboe Jan 17

@zecoop and @vomvorton
    Yep that's the one, I downloaded it, thanks.
    This one just felt so great because of travelling it did.
    It's so easy to collaborate worldwide nowadays thanks to the internet.
    But the exitement of receiving a tape by mail and then turning on your fourtrack to listen and play your part (without endless opportunities to cut and paste) is irreplacable. And of course the waiting in anticipation to see if all the postal services will do as they promise πŸ˜€

• @cts  Jan 17

Mr. Party is down! Sign me up! πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ƒ

• @cts  Jan 17

Mr. Party is down! Sign me up! πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜ƒ

• @zecoop  Jan 17

@cts - That's great news! Can't wait to get started! πŸ˜€

• @brrrse  Jan 17

Oh..this year - I actully have real monitor speakers - not just dollar tree headphones!!

• @zecoop  Jan 17

@brrrse - Nice! That will make a big difference... πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Jan 17

I’ll start one Zee

• @shoehaze Jan 17

I'd like to participate from Finland! I could finish (ha) the tape @alboe is on. Shipping here takes a bit longer than the rest of Europe.

• @zecoop  Jan 17

Fantastic @shoehaze We'll figure out what we have and then set up the rest of some of the tapes. If you'd like to start one, just let me know. πŸ˜€

p.s. I love your country! I spent a week in Helsinki for work in 2016... Wonderful!

• @zecoop  Jan 18

OK... checking to see who from my list is in:
    Still waiting to hear from a few...
    Anybody new, just let me know! I'll also need those who are participating to e-mail me your address to zecoop at yahoo

@xna1321 -
    @songsville -
    @fourzeroes - IN (UK)
    @pfoo @standup - IN (US)
    @cynthiawolff - IN (US)
    @nancyrost - IN (US)
    @eargoggle - IN (US)
    @guatecoop - IN (US)
    @burrsettles - IN (US)
    @bachelorb - IN (US)
    @cts - IN (US)
    @elesimo - IN (US)
    @vomvorton - IN (UK)
    @shoehaze - IN (Finland)
    @alboe - IN (Netherlands)
    @marvsmooth - IN (UK)
    @santadharma - IN (Tokyo)

• @standup  Jan 18

Correct!

• @zecoop  Jan 18

@standup - As one of the cornerstones... one of the pinnacles of this 4-track adventure, I'm glad to hear that! πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Jan 18

@zecoop my address is winging its way to you now.

I've got a slightly interrupted start to FAWM (I'm away the first weekend) but if we've got a chain of people set up then I'll try to get something recorded on day one and sent off before my mini-break!

• @nancyrost  Jan 18

I have tapes and can start Number 6.

• @pfoo  Jan 18

Yep, I’m in for this year! We have tapes if there is a need to start an additional one. @zecoop, were you managing the @fourtracktape account last year? Are we using that again this year?

• @zecoop  Jan 19

Awesome @pfoo - if you'd like to start a tape just let me know! Maybe one with Eric and one with you starting to get two. Just let me know. Yes... I will post them all on the four track tape account so they are all in one place. You can feel free to put them on your page too.

• @elesimo  Jan 19

I'm in! Down for anything: I have tapes and I'm in the US (California).

@zecoop, sending you my address.

• @cts  Jan 19

@zecoop - do you need my address?

• @zecoop  Jan 19

@cts - If it has not changed, then I still have it! Thanks! πŸ˜€

• @alboe Jan 19

@zecoop ,
    You should have my address and e-mail too?
    If not let me know.

• @zecoop  Jan 19

@alboe - All set with that - just found it! πŸ˜€

• @cts  Jan 19

@zecoop - still the same! If you need me to lead one I can. I have a blank tape.

• @zecoop  Jan 19

@cts - You're on! We are almost to 14 again... πŸ˜€

• @fourzeroes Jan 20

Hello! Yes I am here again and as far as I know I still have a working four-track.

• @zecoop  Jan 20

@fourzeroes- that's great! I'll get you in... Let me know if you want to start a tape!

• @guatecoop  Jan 26

I am in for whatever track, but I just don't want to sing. I'm so nuts that I just got a 2nd 4 track. It works great an is a Tascam, which is what I was used to 20 years ago. The other one is a fostex x15 that I will resell, I guess. I just don't like it. Looking forward to this challenge!!

• @eargoggle  Jan 26

I'm good to start one...but I see you've already got me down for that, nice!

• @marvsmooth  Jan 31

@santadharma said that they might be able to start a tape off! Tokyo represent πŸ˜€

• @santadharma Jan 31

Word travels fast πŸ˜€ We'll try our best to get a start on one!

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 31

Here I am!!
    Please put me down for tape one..
    You know what I want! You know what I need!

• @zecoop  Jan 31

@eargoggle - Yea... I just knew! πŸ˜€

@santadharma - I am so psyched you are in! πŸ˜€

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 31

@zecoop
    Please sign me up for #1 6 and 7

• @cloudboy  Jan 31

I'd like a crack at lucky number tape 13. I inherited two four tracks this year. πŸ˜€ Let me know where to send my address.

• @cloudboy  Jan 31

Never mind just located the email address!

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 31

@zecoop sure move my #7 to your bro's....
    I was thinking more of economy...Phoo and Standup could put 2 tapes in one box....but yeah i see your point...go for it...

• @cynthiawolff  Jan 31

To all 4-trackers...
    This is my home address

2950 Eucalyptus Ave
    Long Beach, California

• @standup  Jan 31

Put me down for Tape 11, I haven't worked with @elesimo before.

• @bachelorb  Jan 31

Cassette is loaded........ watching the clock now..... 😁

• @zecoop  Feb 1

So... if you haven't noticed others, speak up if you want a certain tape, or a certain track. I always try to make sure that we get as many people as possible, so signing up for every tape is not an option. I'm going to fill in all the #2 slots tonight, so that people can get them in the mail soon.

*Remember, if you are the last track, you need to be able to transfer them to your computer and mix it down to post. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 1

Everyone below... I've updated all the tapes (except @santadharma - need to know where they want to send theirs) with at least tracks 1 and 2. If you have not sent me your address to zecoop at yahoo dot com please do that. I have a master list. (or you can post them here, if that's your thing).

**US people - USE USPS PRIORITY BOXES!!!!!! We have had *bad* luck with regular mail. Really bad luck.

@fourzeroes
    @pfoo
    @standup
    @cynthiawolff
    @nancyrost
    @eargoggle
    @guatecoop
    @burrsettles
    @bachelorb
    @cts
    @elesimo
    @vomvorton
    @shoehaze
    @alboe
    @marvsmooth

• @bachelorb  Feb 1

Hey Zee...... sign me up for track 3 on one if it’s available..... thanks

• @nancyrost  Feb 1

I can take another track 2 or 3.

• @alboe Feb 1

@zecoop
    Can you please mail me the addresses of @vomvorton and @marvsmooth ?
    So I can send them tape #2 and #9 asap.
    Maybe later today but definitely tomorrow.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 1

@zecoop - any gaps available, then put me in there if needed.

Cheeky I know, but I’d love to be part of the @santadharma tape! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 1

Here's the list of addresses... If anyone does not want this posted, just let me know and I can give out addresses privately in e-mail. People outside FAWM would have to dig pretty deep to find this though. πŸ˜€

If you address is not on here, please send it to me at
    zecoop at yahoo dot com
    http://bit.ly/2FxFYGm

@fourzeroes
    @pfoo
    @standup
    @cynthiawolff
    @nancyrost
    @eargoggle
    @guatecoop
    @burrsettles
    @bachelorb
    @cts
    @elesimo
    @vomvorton
    @shoehaze
    @alboe
    @marvsmooth
    @oblivionratula
    @cloudboy

• @alboe Feb 1

@vomvorton , @marvsmooth ,
    Tape #2 and #9 are ready to come your way.
    I'll drop them off at the post office tomorrow morning.

• @vomvorton  Feb 1

I've recorded something on tape #5, will be on its way to @marvsmooth tomorrow.

• @fourzeroes Feb 1

Willing and able to be on other (Europe-based?) tapes if wanted. πŸ˜€

• @oblivionratula  Feb 1

Not sure I'm up to this task on my first FAWM, but following with interest. If you get desperate for a Track 3 or 4 participant, I'll dive in.

• @zecoop  Feb 1

@oblivionratula - Sounds good. If you are last, you need to be able to mix it down to your computer. I can add you if you want to one, but no pressure. πŸ˜€

@fourzeroes - I added you to another. Can you go last and mix down? If so I'll make you last on the other one. πŸ˜€

• @fourzeroes Feb 1

@zecoop theoretically! πŸ˜€

• @oblivionratula  Feb 1

@zecoop Could mix down/upload for sure. Not the world's best engineer, but could get it done.

• @zecoop  Feb 1

Tapes going out tomorrow to @eargoggle and @cynthiawolff

If you are starting a tape, get them recorded and out the door - time moves fast! (or sllloooowwww if you are the postman)

• @elesimo  Feb 1

@standup, I'm recording later night and mailing the tape tomorrow.

@zecoop what do we do with tapes that have less than 4 people? Wait? Record multiple tracks?

• @zecoop  Feb 1

@elesimo - the rest of the tracks will get filled up as we go. just record one track. I just filled up the second tracks on all of them so that people could get them out the door. We'll take volunteers after that. They can go wherever. So once the second person records there's they generally post something here, unless someone has already spoken up. Make sense? πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 1

@zecoop My dad always said I was dumber than a sack a hammers...... I'm not seeing the addresses

• @marvsmooth  Feb 1

@vomvorton and @alboe - okay πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 2

@zecoop got it, thanks!

• @elesimo  Feb 2

@standup, I just finished recording 1st track of tape 11. Will mail it to you tomorrow morning.

• @alboe Feb 2

@vomvorton , @marvsmooth ,
    Tapes are underway, it's out of my hands now.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 2

I always thought this was such a cool game. I am borrowing a friend's 4-track from Monday and would love to have a turn please πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 2

@wobbiewobbit - Awesome!! I'll get you onto some tapes! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 2

P.S. @wobbiewobbit send your address to me at zecoop at yahoo dot com πŸ˜€

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 2

Rule one...don't hesitate with the tape!!
    Gotta get it mailed pronto..
    You can use USPS Priority mailboxes..the small size for around $7... Get the box first.... free at the PO...when your done with the tape, stick it in the box and out it goes..it gets priority at the PO, meaning the receipient gets it in about 2-3 days...more money to send but worth it especially if you are the last person

• @bachelorb  Feb 2

@nancyrost Tape is on the way........ Please don't hate me........much....... 😁

• @santadharma Feb 3

We accidentally recorded at 2X and playing it back at normal speed and sounds like Sparklehorse LOL. Re-recording, but had to record that version for posterity.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 3

@santadharma - I want to hear that πŸ˜€

I’m really looking forward to the tape!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 3

In case anyone is interested, there is a Facebook group that’s supposed to be constant - https://m.facebook.com/groups/6724433...

• @zecoop  Feb 3

@santadharma - I want to hear that too, lol...

@cts and @eargoggle - You guys getting your tapes started? Time is short. πŸ˜€

• @santadharma Feb 3

@zecoop @marvsmooth We'll be sure to post it later in the month when we all need a good laugh!

• @cts  Feb 3

@zecoop - yep! Finished earlier today. I'm not going to make it to the post office today, but I'll have it in the mail Monday.

• @zecoop  Feb 3

@cts - Fantastic!!! Yay team! πŸ˜€

• @cloudboy  Feb 3

Woohoo! I should get the 4-track up and running.

• @seb Feb 3

So cant participate if I have no 4 track?

• @eargoggle  Feb 4

@zecoop I'll do it and mail it Monday I promise....mine is going to you? I didn't see your address on the thing, email me?

• @zecoop  Feb 4

@seb - Yea, this challenge requires a working 4-track cassette player, since we send the tapes in the mail to each person that is adding a track. Check EBAY and Craigslist and check in next year! πŸ˜€

@eargoggle - I just sent it (and added it to the list) Oops! Thanks for sending out the tape - Can't wait to hear it!

@cloudboy - YES, you should!!! There is still time if you hurry! πŸ˜€

• @standup  Feb 4

We should be sending tapes 6 & 7 out tomorrow morning.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 4

@standup !!
    Hey your work this year is absolutely brilliant..
    No kidding , I’m really impressed

• @standup  Feb 4

Last year sometime I ordered some brand new cassettes from deltamedia.com. They're cheap, under $1 each (well, over a dollar after shipping).

I SHOULD HAVE posted this as soon as the forum opened. Didn't think about it til I got out the box of brand new cassettes today.

https://www.deltamedia.com/collection...

• @fourzeroes Feb 4

I like this one @marvsmooth, @alboe and I played on two years ago (I can't remember the username of the guy singing) https://soundcloud.com/alboe-2/youre-...

• @zecoop  Feb 4

@fourzeroes - YES! That song was (and is) amazing. Such a cool vibe...

@standup - Thanks for that link (again). I still have tapes, but was trying to remember it.

• @fourzeroes Feb 5

Vocalist was @songsville, I now remember.

• @pfoo  Feb 5

We received two cassettes today. Tape 11 from @elesimo (for @standup). And Tape 14 from @guatecoop. We will listen to them tonight and get started!

• @rainchaser  Feb 5

Do I need a 4 track cassette tape recorder in order to participate in this challenge?

• @nancyrost  Feb 5

@rainchaser As mentioned earlier ... "Yea, this challenge requires a working 4-track cassette player, since we send the tapes in the mail to each person that is adding a track. Check EBAY and Craigslist and check in next year!"

• @nancyrost  Feb 5

I just got Tape 3 from @bachelorb . I should be able to do my track and send it off to the next person in the next day or two. Who wants it next?

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 6

@zecoop just received Tape #1 today in the mail
    Thanks for sending it priority Mail!!
    I will work on it tomorrow and try and get it done early in the day
    and bring it to PO later in the day on to the next person...

• @zecoop  Feb 6

Awesome... Thanks Cynthia and Nancy!!

Who wants track three of these tapes? They will likely be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. πŸ˜€

**Tape 1**
    Track 1: @ZeCoop - Acoustic 12 string guitar
    Track 3:
    Track 4:

**Tape 3**
    Track 1: @bachelorb - keyboard
    Track 2: @nancyrost - vocal/lyrics
    Track 3:
    Track 4:

• @bachelorb  Feb 6

I can do tape 1 if you need someone...... I’ll also have Tape 17 ready by Wednesday to go out.....

• @eargoggle  Feb 6

Hey @zecoop Tape 12 is on its way to you. I was in such rush to get it out I forgot to write anything on it! So it's track 1 upright bass and track 4 is the click.

• @burrsettles  Feb 6

@pfoo @standup @cts β€” I need to go last for this challenge due to some mid-feb work travel; I'll only have feb 26-28 to work on it. so i'm wondering if I can jump on to track 4 for tape 7 with you guys?

• @nancyrost  Feb 6

@guatecoop I've done a vocal on Tape 3. Would you like to take track 3 on that one?

• @zecoop  Feb 6

I've added @burrsettles to track 4 of Tape 7, @guatecoop to track 3 of Tape 3 and @bachelorb to Tape 1. πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  Feb 6

@burrsettles Sounds good. I started with a simple synth melody and @standup added a bass part.

• @nancyrost  Feb 6

I need a mailing address for @guatecoop - can mail this afternoon. @zecoop can you add it to the address doc?

• @bachelorb  Feb 6

Tape 17 track 3 is ready if someone is interested.....

• @nancyrost  Feb 6

@bachelorb what did you end up doing on Tape 17?
    @guatecoop Tape 3 is on its way to you.

• @bachelorb  Feb 6

@nancyrost well..... I think I was playing guitar and its a little hard to describe..... it's starts a little Pink Floydish and ends up sounding like Jackal without the chainsaw...... (if someone doesn't take it soon.... I might just add the chainsaw part.... 😁 )

• @standup  Feb 7

Tape 11 has semi-orchestral synth and weird guitar with lots of effects. Who wants it next? Could go out tomorrow!

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 7

Tuesday Feb.6 4:30 pm....
    @bachelorb I have finished Tape #1 and have packaged it up
    and brought it to the Post Office SOO on it's way to you....It is track#3 and I played my tenor uke on it...

• @nancyrost  Feb 7

@standup I'll take Tape 11.

• @zecoop  Feb 7

@cts @eargoggle - any interest in taking Tape 17 track 3?

• @standup  Feb 7

@nancyrost it's packaged and labelled, going out tomorrow!

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 7

@zecoop - am i on your list?

• @zecoop  Feb 7

@wobbiewobbit Yep! I'm just waiting to get your address and hear which tapes you want to be on. It's all volunteer. Can I put you on track three for a couple, or did you want to go last and mix them down?

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 7

ah i thought i sent you email but it was from my phone so maybe it didn't send right, track 3 would be great thanks, will send details again. thanks πŸ˜€

• @oblivionratula  Feb 7

@bachelorb @zecoop Tape 17 sounds, um, intriguing. I'll throw my hat in if it's still looking for a home.

• @zecoop  Feb 7

@oblivionratula - You are officially on Tape 17!

@wobbiewobbit - Yea, still haven't gotten your address (maybe FB PM?) but you are on two tapes for track 3. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 7

I’ve received tapes 5 and, erm, 16 I think (@zecoop?)

I’ll get onto them as soon as I’ve got the strength to lift the bass or guitar.

• @zecoop  Feb 7

@marvsmooth - Yes... Tape 16. I might have forgotten to label it? Any sign of Tape 15 from @santadharma and @lanasolyluna?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 7

@zecoop - not yet John. I’ll let you know πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 7

Tape 17 is on its way to you @oblivionratula . Have fun 😁

• @lanasolyluna Feb 7

@zecoop @marvsmooth it was sent Monday so hopefully will arrive soon!

• @eargoggle  Feb 8

@zecoop Sure, I can probably commit to one more. I got the one you sent me yesterday, I'll put something on there tonight or tomorrow and send it out um, somewhere.

• @zecoop  Feb 8

@standup and @pfoo / you guys want to finish up tape 10?

• @oblivionratula  Feb 8

Excellent, @bachelorb, I can't wait!

• @standup  Feb 8

Sure! Send Tape 10 our way.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 8

@santadharma @zecoop @lanasolyluna - the tape came today.

• @zecoop  Feb 8

@marvmooth @santadharma @lanasolyluna I am so pumped to hear this tape!

• @lanasolyluna Feb 8

Wooo!!! Glad it arrived. I sent it the fastest method. I asked what was the 2nd fastest method just for a price comparison and it was more expensive. Not sure who chooses that method but lots of mysterious things in this world. @zecoop @marvsmooth

• @vomvorton  Feb 8

Tape #2 has arrived from @alboe!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 9

Four tapes worked on. I hope they’re in key! Pitching has been nigh on impossible too. 😞

I don’t think I’ll be doing anything else other than the tapes!

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 9

I got two tapes #4 and #6 in my lil hands..
    woo hoo...
    so will begin work on them and then send them on their way.

• @nancyrost  Feb 9

I've done track 3 of Tape 11. So far it has semi-orchestral synth, weird guitar with lots of effects, and atmospheric sound effects from another synth. Who wants to add the last track and post it? I'm going to be going by the post office tomorrow morning, so would love to have a taker by then.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 9

Ok...I am done with Tape #4 where I added some shakers...
    Who do I send it too??? In it's packaging ready to roll...

• @zecoop  Feb 9

@cts @oblivionratula - you up for any other tapes? We have some ready to go!

• @vomvorton  Feb 9

Tape 2 went off to @fourzeroes today!

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 9

Ok...I am done with Tape #6
    Who's looking for one???
    I can ship it out Saturday to the next lucky person!!

• @nancyrost  Feb 9

@cynthiawolff I'll take Tape 4.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 9

Ok ...@nancyrost
    I will ship out tomorrow..

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 9

on it's way...

• @zecoop  Feb 10

@metalfoot - Here's you chance at an almost new 4-track. πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Feb 10

Wow...

• @metalfoot  Feb 10

I must confess my heart has greatly desired this one... four-track...

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 10

Working on number 4

• @zecoop  Feb 10

@nancyrost - I'll take yours. πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Feb 10

Brilliant, @zecoop - I'll get it out to you tomorrow!

• @zecoop  Feb 10

Tape 12 from @eargoggle has arrived!! I can't wait to get something on this one today... Who wants it next? @cts? @elesimo? @oblivionratula? It will go out Monday. πŸ˜€

• @oblivionratula  Feb 10

@zecoop Sure, I'll take another - haven't gotten the first yet, but I expect soon. Kind of hit a wall, so could use the inspiration and urgency.

Question (I guess I'll find out when I get my first tape): do people stick to one instrument per track, or sometimes put down a couple things?

• @zecoop  Feb 10

@oblivionratula - The only rule is that you get one track. I've had people bounce things from multiple tracks they recorded down to one track before they sent it, I've had people split their track with different instruments in different sections. It really just depends on what the song is and what you feel it needs.

• @zecoop  Feb 10

@cloudboy - Any interest in another tape, now that they are starting to fly around?

@cts - Haven't heard from you - Are you still in?

• @bachelorb  Feb 10

I can do one more, but I don't mind sitting the bench either is others would like one.
    @oblivionratula Today should be the day.... if its not there, let me know

• @bachelorb  Feb 10

"if others would like one"

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 10

Hello who wants Tape #6!!!
    nearly ready to roll
    I would love to bring it to the PO today
    and get it shipped before the weekend?
    AnyBody???
    your have till noon Pacific Time
    xxc

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 10

@nancyrost I am bringing tape #4 to the PO
    before noon today (Pacific time)

• @nancyrost  Feb 10

Thanks, @cynthiawolff ! Looking forward to that one.
    @zecoop Tape 11 went out to you this morning.

• @eargoggle  Feb 10

@standup and @pfoo Tape 10 is on its way to you, some funky organ from @zecoop on track 2 and bass from me on track 1. Woot.

• @elesimo  Feb 10

@cynthiawolff I'll take tape 6! πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 10

You've got it @elesimo πŸ˜€

Any updates on the tapes that are still on early tracks?

**Tape 13**
    Track 4:

**Tape 8**
    Track 3:
    Track 4:

**Tape 2**
    Track 1: @Alboe (Netherlands)
    Track 2: @vomvorton
    Track 3: @fourzeroes
    Track 4:

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 10

Hi @nancyrost tape #4 has been taken to the PO..on it's way

@elesimo I will send you tape #6 on Monday missed todays mail pick-up

• @elesimo  Feb 10

@cts any updates on tape 13? I haven't received anything yet.

• @alboe Feb 10

@zecoop
    Tape #2 is on its way to @fourzeroes (see a few posts above).
    Tape#9 was sent to @marvsmooth on friday the 2nd of february, I assume it has already arrived?
    I'm also curious about tape #5, that one has to find its way to me from the UK and then make it's way to Finland.

• @zecoop  Feb 10

Thanks for the update @alboe - I know @marvmooth had been sick but is trying to get the tapes done

• @bachelorb  Feb 10

Tape 1 now has a percussion track on it.... Those E-drums I've been going to learn for the last year finally came through (....thanks Stupid Deal of the Day.........) anyway Tape 1 with guitar, uke, and drums is ready to go out if someone wants it

• @zecoop  Feb 11

@elesimo - @cts sent your tape earlier this week so you should have it soon. He also has his other tape and should get it out next week.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 11

@bachelorb Apparently no one checked the mail today. Just popped out at midnight, and the poor thing was sitting out there freezing its butt off. Going to let it come to room temperature before I open it up, so I'll check it out in the morning. Taking a lot of self control, but I need sleep anyway.
    πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 11

5, 8, 15 & 16 - too late on Saturday, so posting Monday at priority...

No sign of the tape from @alboe yet!

• @alboe Feb 11

Hey @marvsmooth
    I hope it'll arrive soon, I have send both tapes at the same time and @vomvorton received it only two days ago (took a whole week, and that is way longer then I thought it would take).
    Let's hope monday will be delivery day.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 11

^I recorded these while my ears have been affected by flu. Delete if it’s bad!^

• @zecoop  Feb 11

I just added tremolo/reverb guitar to Tape 12, which had some amazing stand up bass from @eargoggle. It's headed off to @guatecoop on Monday for some drums and then will be finished off with @burrsettles with vocals (maybe?) I'm really excited about this one. πŸ˜€

**Tape 12**
    Track 1: @eargoggle - Acoustic Standup Bass
    Track 2: @zecoop - Electric Guitar
    Track 3: @guatecoop - Drums

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 12

haha!!
    Since I had an extra two days(no mail on Sat and Sun) i went back into cassette #6 which had drums from @pfoo and bass from @standup and took it in an entire different direction.. now featuring my nifty old Casio PT-1 from 1982...
    had a real blast adding a keyboard part...this thing doesn't play chords so it's pretty good for someone like me...

• @cloudboy  Feb 12

@cts @elesimo Any word on Tape 13? If it's not going to happen, @zecoop, I'll take on another one but I don't think I'll have enough time for additional tape. I definitely want a stab at one. Make sense? Lmk.

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@cloudboy - @cts said he had sent it last week and @elesimo should be able to turn it around very soon. So, I think that tape it still a go for you.

• @cloudboy  Feb 12

Awesome and gracias!

• @elesimo  Feb 12

@cloudboy @zecoop I haven't received it yet, I'm hoping it will arrive tomorrow so I can ship it Tuesday.

• @cloudboy  Feb 12

@elesimo no worries! I just wanted to make sure we're still on. Looking forward to it.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 12

This Tape #17, wow. Heh. Click is in 3/4 (130 BPM?). Percussion follows it pretty closely. Guitar is in 4/4. Mostly-ish. Not really as hairbrained as I was expecting given the chainsaw comment, but it's fairly . . . unique.

I was thinking of slapping some phat analog Moog on it, but I'm actually working out a lyric for it now instead. I'll try my best to wrap it up tomorrow, but family life has been unaccommodating, so we'll see. πŸ˜‰ Who is after me?

@bachelorb Curious what your guitar/amp setup was on that.

• @bachelorb  Feb 12

I was using a modeling amp went between a clean and a crunch with a pedal (missed once for a beat....I'm sure you didn't notice..... πŸ˜€. ........I know not of this 3/4-4/4 of which you speak 😁.......... (probably shouldn't have recorded on Bud Light night......)

• @vomvorton  Feb 12

Can I stick my name down for a track on tape 8 or (and?) 16? Having sent off my two early ones I fancy having some more to look forward to!

• @zecoop  Feb 12

@vomvorton - I've got you on both... I believe @marvsmooth has them both out in the mail now. πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 12

@zecoop sweet. Getting really excited about hearing the end product of all of these!

• @bachelorb  Feb 12

Tape 1 is ready to go out

• @nancyrost  Feb 12

I just got Tape 4. It has drums and percussion, and I'll add either bass or piano tonight and should be able to get to the post office tomorrow. Who would like to add the final track (voice? guitar?), mix and post?

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 12

Tape #6 has been brought to the Post Office, shipped in Priority Mail box to @elesimo ..your just up the road from me so you should get it very soon (i hope) Weds maybe?
    I put on my lil practically a toy Casio keys on it...not much of a player but I had fun!! xxc

• @zecoop  Feb 13

The 4-Tracks are officially on the board! Congratulations to Tape 11 for crossing the finish line first, and it's totally appropriate, since it is an orchestral (ish) song. I dubbed it "The 4-Track Overture"
    http://fawm.org/songs/82263/

**Tape 11** - "The 4-Track Overture"
    Track 1: @elesimo - synthesizer
    Track 2: @standup - electric lead guitar
    Track 3: @nancyrost - toy synth
    Track 4: @zecoop - Electric 12 string guitar

• @zecoop  Feb 13

FourTrackTape
    http://fawm.org/fawmers/fourtracktape/

So, for any newbies... This is the account where I'll put all the four track songs, so they are in one place and we can get the analog victory!! You are free to put them on your page too, especially if you need the song for your count. You can set it up to collab with others that are on the tape, just not me. I'm not planning on having myself marked as a collaborator on them, since I want to get to 14 of my own compositions first and am feeling a little under the gun with the health stuff this year.

@fourzeroes
    @pfoo
    @standup
    @cynthiawolff
    @nancyrost
    @eargoggle
    @guatecoop
    @burrsettles
    @bachelorb
    @cts
    @elesimo
    @vomvorton
    @shoehaze
    @alboe
    @marvsmooth
    @oblivionratula
    @cloudboy

• @nancyrost  Feb 13

I have Tape 4 ready to go to whoever wants to do the fourth track. This one has kind of a jam-band feel. With more than two weeks left to go in February, I could even send it overseas if someone claims it fast. How about it @eargoggle @fourzeroes @shoehaze @vomvorton

**Tape 4**
    Track 1: guatecoop - drums
    Track 2: cynthiawolff - shaker
    Track 3: nancyrost - piano
    Track 4:

• @shoehaze Feb 13

@nancyrost sure I can take it!

• @zecoop  Feb 13

This tape also needs a fourth track...

**Tape 1**
    Track 1: ZeCoop - 12 str
    Track 2: cynthiawolff
    Track 3: bachelorb - perc
    Track 4:

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

@alboe - I’ve still not got that tape 😞

• @zecoop  Feb 13

@elesimo - any interest in finishing up tape 1 since the other tape is being 'protected' by the post office?

• @alboe Feb 13

@marvsmooth
    That doesn't sound promising, hope it didn't get lost.
    Backup plan is that I have saved the bass and drumpart on my pc.
    I could send you the mp3's and
    If you have a blank tape left you could record those files on your 4track and then continue?

• @elesimo  Feb 13

@zecoop yeah, would love to!

• @pfoo  Feb 13

Tape 14 went out priority mail today, on it's way to @zecoop. It's got drum machine (@guatecoop), guitar (@standup) and bass.

• @fourzeroes Feb 13

I have now received tape 2 from @vomvorton and tape 8 from @marvsmooth.

Who am I sending Tape 2 to, please?

• @nancyrost  Feb 13

@wobbiewobbit can you take Track 4 on Tape 2?

• @zecoop  Feb 13

@wobbiewobbit @nancyrost - Just remember whoever gets the last track has to be able to get them off the tape into the computer and mix them down. πŸ˜€

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 13

@zecoop @nancyrost yep i could get it onto pc and mixdown, how should i treat the technology side of that, like compression etc? i don't have real expertise but i try on the ones that have a bit more care production wise, i try out things and have a go to compressor etc.... should this be free of those things? ANYWAY! I got a cassette (#16) in the post this afternoon and should be able to get to it tomorrow afternoon thanks @marvsmooth

• @zecoop  Feb 13

@wobbiewobbit - Everyone does it differently, depending on skills and styles. I tend to do a little production with the tracks, although fairly minimal, just to make it sound as good as possible. If there is excessive hiss, I'll do a noise reduction on that frequency on the tracks. I'll do a little reverb sometimes or compression if the volumes are all over the place. I also pan the tracks to sound good - guitar a little to the left, synth a little to the right, etc. It was recorded onto a cassette and there's no way we can make them sound like they were NOT analog, so I like having things that will impress and make people realize it can end up with awesome songs! I say go for it. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 13

@alboe I’ve always got tapes, as I take part in a four-track challenge all the year around. πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 14

@elesimo I'll send it your way tomorrow.... (tonight, I'll protect it.... πŸ˜€ )

• @nancyrost  Feb 14

@guatecoop did you get Tape 3 okay?

• @alboe Feb 14

@marvsmooth ,
    Ok shall we execute plan B then?
    I will put the bass and drumtrack (drums are to be deleted later on) on Soundcloud for you to download.
    I will let you know when they are uploaded.
    Then I'll also give you the chords.

• @alboe Feb 14

@marvsmooth
    Here you will find the bass and the drums for tape #9 https://soundcloud.com/stream
    You can download them there.

Song is a blues.
    Intro + 4bars drums
    Part 1: /G7 /G7 /G7 /G7 /
    /C7 /C7 / G7 /G7 /
    /D7 /D#7D7/G7 /G7/
    Repeat part 1

Part 2: /C7 /G7 /C7 /G7 /
    /C7 /G7 /A7 /D7 /

Then part 1 twice more (last one has the same chords but is played a bit different) plus the typical blues ending.

Good luck with it and I hope the tape will still make it to the finish.

• @guatecoop  Feb 14

Alright, tape 3 is ready for someone. Who wants it?
    @bachelorb -Wurlitzer
    @nancyrost -vocals and lyrics
    @guatecoop -guitar
    And then....?

• @nancyrost  Feb 14

@Pfoo @standup one of you want to finish Tape 3? It has neither bass nor drums.

• @zecoop  Feb 14

Maybe a @pfoo / @standup single mic or split line for bass AND drums... if the basement if figured out. Ugh - water!!!

• @standup  Feb 14

Oh, sure, we can do it. The basement is dry, a carload of misc stuff went to the dump. We can move forward! I might do vocals, don't want these all to be instrumental tapes.

• @nancyrost  Feb 14

Tape 3 has a vocal - no reason you can't do another, though!

• @standup  Feb 14

Reading comprehension: Low

• @marvsmooth  Feb 14

@alboe - that just leads me to the initial page on soundcloud

• @alboe Feb 14

@marvsmooth
    Does this one work?
    https://soundcloud.com/alboe-2

• @bachelorb  Feb 14

@elesimo .... tape 1 is at the post office and on the way.....

• @marvsmooth  Feb 14

@alboe - downloaded. I'll sort it tomorrow πŸ˜€

• @spinhead  Feb 14

Curiosity from a bystander: early recorders don't know what will come after, but of course whoever records last will have a pretty good idea what it will end up sounding like, barring extreme mixing, yes? (Yes, I'm sidling up toward sneaking around behind to infiltrate the vicinity of pondering the possibility I might think about this thing next year.)

• @oblivionratula  Feb 15

Life got in the way the last week, and I WAY over-thought this but Tape 17 is ready for its next and final home (Track 4). Who gets it, @zecoop?

I settled on very crummy vocals with pretty silly lyrics and a few guitar licks - either part can be freely mixed out by the next victim. πŸ˜‰

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@spinhead - very true, although it isn't always as easy as that. I give you The 4-Track Overture as an example. It took me a while to figure out a part! It is very fun, though. I've started, been in the middle and ended and each is fun it its own way. You should get in next year!! Or if you have a 4-track player there's still room this year to throw you on a tape. Let me know...

• @spinhead  Feb 15

I don't have one, but if folks have recs for a dirt cheap oldie I should pick up, hit me.

• @zecoop  Feb 15

OK everyone... I have no idea what happened to the master list. It just isn't there anymore!! ARGH!

o.O

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@nancyrost is working with @burrsettles and @ericdistad to hopefully get it back. The post where the master list was has a duplicate of my recent post to spinhead. No idea...

SQL go bump in the night? Hopefully there's a backup or something.

• @burrsettles  Feb 15

@zecoop @nancyrost

uhmmm... no DB backups. well, technically there are weekly backups in a deep freeze that i've never had to dig into before, but it might be faster to crowdsource the reconstruction of tapes from peoples' memories.

perhaps move the "master list" management to a google doc?

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@burrsettles - yep... I kept meaning to copy that. Lol... Do you remember which ones you were last on?

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

Okay all, I'm reconstructing this in a Google doc. Take a look and let us know if you can fill in gaps:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D...

• @burrsettles  Feb 15

i think these were the two tapes i'm on. i think @cts already dropped the first one in the mail....

~~~~ TAPE 7 ~~~~
    1: @pfoo - drums?
    2: @standup - bass
    3: @cts - ??
    4: @burrsettles - ??

~~~~ TAPE 12 ~~~~
    1: @eargoggle - Acoustic Standup Bass
    2: @zecoop - Electric Guitar
    3: @guatecoop - Drums
    4: @burrsettles - ??

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

Excellent, thanks.

I thought I was going to be on a second tape, but I guess not 12 was it?). I can take on Track 4 of any tape needing it.

Also, need to know who Tape 17 is going on to.

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

@oblivionratula could it have been 13? I think it was mentioned the last two on that chain are in California.
    I don't think we had a taker yet for Tape 17.

I threw my hat in for 12, but it must have been assigned already. I'll take 13 if it needs a finisher, though.

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@oblivionratula - You have 13 now! πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

That would be great. Thanks so much for helping reconstruct.

• @zecoop  Feb 15

Three cheers for 4-Track Hero @nancyrost πŸ˜€

Hip-hip . . .

• @zecoop  Feb 15

\m/

• @vomvorton  Feb 15

The first two tracks on Tape 5 are me (bass) and then @marvsmooth

• @alboe Feb 15

@vomvorton and @marvsmooth Tape #5 just landed on my doorstep. Busy with live and other commitments at the moment but I'll try to get it done asap and then @shoehaze can finish it off.

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@alboe @marvsmooth @fourzeroes - Any updates on where Tapes 8 and 9 are and are going next?

• @alboe Feb 15

@zecoop
    Haven't got a clue to be honest.
    Best will be to leave the tape in the UK?

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@alboe @marvsmooth - They might make it to the US or Tokyo in time. It would certainly be cutting close. It's up to you all. πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 15

I think I was up next for tape 8!

Still looking for a taker on Tape 17/Track 4. If it stays here too long, I'm going to second-guess what I put down and over-think it some more . . . .

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

@oblivionratula what instrument did you put down on Tape 17? That might help us find a taker?

Tape 17:
    Track 1: @nancyrost Household Percussion
    Track 2: @bachelorb Guitar (chords)
    Track 3: @oblivionratula Vocals + Lead guitar fills
    Track 4: ??????? (feel free to mix out or play against my fills, but I tried to leave space) Could use bass/synth, IMHO, but that's up to . . . .

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

cts guatecoop either of you want to finish Tape 17?

• @pfoo  Feb 15

We got tape 10 from @eargoggle yesterday. We should be able to finish and post the song this weekend.

@nancyrost I checked the tapes in the spreadsheet that I worked on:
    Tape 6 looks good
    Tape 7 - track 1 pfoo synth, track 2 standup bass
    Tape 10 looks good
    Tape 14 - track 3 pfoo bass

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

Thanks, @pfoo, I changed them in the doc. Will edit the forum post later!

• @zecoop  Feb 15

@nancyrost - There isn't always room for all the instruments in the forum post due to character limits, so I've been abbreviating and cutting text where I can. Instruments will definitely get posted on each song as they are posted, though. πŸ˜€

• @nancyrost  Feb 15

Thanks @zecoop !

• @marvsmooth  Feb 15

Get it to me in time, and I’ll sort out tape 17
    @oblivionratula

• @marvsmooth  Feb 15

Posted to @fourzeroes at the same time as the other three tapes.

The one from @alboe I’m restarting a tape using his parts that he provided for me to download, adding my part, and then posting it off to the next person!

@marvsmooth I'll send it off tomorrow - didn't think to grab it when I left the house. Care to send your street address to mark @ ratula dot net ?

^ Message received. Thanks, @nancyrost

Oof, that some spendy postage on first glance - but can you put a price on art?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 15

Tape 18 being worked on!

@metalfoot on track one
    me on track two

who wants three and four?

• @elesimo  Feb 16

@cynthiawolff, I just got tape 6! Will work on it tonight or tomorrow!

@cts, I think at this point we can declare tape 13 lost, especially without a tracking number. 😞 Do you want to try recording it again?

• @zecoop  Feb 16

I received this today... Should finish and be up by the weekend! πŸ˜€
    Tape 14
    Track 1: @guatecoop - drum machine
    Track 2: @standup - gtr
    Track 3: @pfoo - bass
    Track 4: @zecoop ?? πŸ˜€

• @cts  Feb 16

(Sigh)...this is kinda discouraging. @elesimo, I can see if I can try and do it over the weekend, but I don't like how this is turning out. The USPS is really making me feel some kind of way about this!

I'll post back here shortly.

• @cts  Feb 16

@burrsettles - did you receive the tape from me?

• @elesimo  Feb 16

@cts, sorry about that, I didn't mean to discourage you! I just think we still might have time to start from scratch if you want to. Let me know! πŸ˜€

• @cts  Feb 16

@elesimo - it's not you, man. It's the USPS that's irking me. I make it a priority to get the tapes out as quickly as possible. And when there are delays like this, it just leaves a bad feeling on my part even though it's not my fault. Just so you know, it was a pretty killer Linn Drum beat. I'll see if I can reproduce it and send out a tape today.

• @burrsettles  Feb 16

tape 7 arrived from @cts yesterday! can't wait to get to work on it. i will post my two 4-track contributions the last week of FAWM...

since the tascam mf-p01 i borrowed is way too hissy/noisy/scratchy, i broke down and got a yamaha mt3x online yesterday, so that should arrive sometime next week and will hopefully make these sound great!

• @elesimo  Feb 16

@bachelorb, I just received tape 1. This weekend I'll work on it and tape 6 -- will be fun! πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 16

@elesimo Awesome..... can't wait ti hear it!!!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 16

@bachelorb - I very nearly sent you a surprise tape, Brad.

• @bachelorb  Feb 16

@marvsmooth - I’m glad you didn’t..... as much as I try to protect February, My wife has claimed its last week this year.... πŸ˜€ ( I am so afraid of sending a tape to the wrong place.....or worse..... mailing the cassette case only to find the cassette on the table.....)

• @cloudboy  Feb 16

Hey @cts and @elesimo. Is 13 a go? Reading through the thread it seems like it may have died. Unlucky 13?

• @elesimo  Feb 16

@cloudboy: @cts mailed it to me more than a week ago, and it never arrived. To make things worse, the tracking number faded out β€” unlucky indeed. 😞

There might be some chance still. If @cts mail it today I can get it on the 20th, send it on the 21st, you receive on the 23rd, send on the 24th to @oblivionratula who would then have 2 days to finish it. Tight, but possible. :-O

• @cloudboy  Feb 16

@cts @elesimo @oblivionratula I'll turn it around as quickly as possible! Please keep me posted. Thanks, y'all!

• @zecoop  Feb 16

@cloudboy @elesimo @cts - Not the first time, so no one to blame... except the post office! They have lost them before. Last time it was regular mail, so that's why we always say priority box, but they can screw that up too, apparently. 😞

• @cts  Feb 16

Its going to the Post first thing in the AM!!

• @cts  Feb 16

...and I’m writing down the TN as soon as I get the receipt.

• @elesimo  Feb 16

@cts yeaaah, let's do this! πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 16

@cts, since Monday is a holiday it might be better to send to my home address, it's in the document @zecoop organized.

• @zecoop  Feb 16

...that Nancy reorganized. Hallelujah!!! πŸ˜€

• @cloudboy  Feb 16

Yay @cts! @oblivionratula I'll need your address. Feel free to email me it at maquino.mail (at) gmail (dot) com.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 17

E-mail sent @cloudboy Just give me a heads up when I should expect it.

• @cloudboy  Feb 17

Got it and will do @oblivionratula.

• @vomvorton  Feb 17

I received tape 9 this morning. Should have time to add something this weekend - who wants to finish it off?

• @cts  Feb 17

@zecoop - hey bud, where might I find the document with everyone's email address? I'm fittin' ta drop this cassette by the post.

• @cts  Feb 17

Sending it to @elesimo.

• @zecoop  Feb 17

@cts - That would be here...
    http://bit.ly/2FxFYGm

Actually doesn't have e-mail addresses, but if you need that too, just let me know.
    πŸ˜€

• @eargoggle  Feb 17

@bachelorb Ha, yeah, my wife has staked her claim to more of Feb than I would like this year...I'd like to claim more of these 4 tracks but I don't even have time for my own stuff this time. whatareyougonnado.....

• @elesimo  Feb 17

@zecoop, @cynthiawolff, @bachelorb do any of you have the chord progression for tape 1? Or do I need to wing it? πŸ˜€

• @bachelorb  Feb 17

@elesimo .... I don't... sorry

• @elesimo  Feb 17

No worries!

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 17

I played a shaker on that one SO don't remember the progression...

• @nancyrost  Feb 17

@wobbiewobbit do you want Tape 9 from @vomvorton ? You'd be doing Track 4.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 17

Sorry folks, but I'm letting you down with tape 17. it would cost over 60 bucks to get it to the UK And it's not even guaranteed to be on time. There was a $35 option that was at least 10 business days, again cutting it pretty close. I get the novelty of taping, but I can't justify that. I can priority mail it to somebody stateside, Or I can send digital files across the pond. Please advise @marvsmooth @zecoop ?

Also, the tape might be cursed. Or blessed. Walking out of the post office, wrangling my two whippersnappers, I dropped the tape and it was nearly run over. O.o

• @vomvorton  Feb 17

@wobbiewobbit I'm working on some lyrics to sing on #9 so I guess it will need some kind of "lead instrument"? Due to the complex genesis of this tape (see above) it already has bass, drums and guitar. Or, since we have advance planning on our side, we could sing a duet!

• @zecoop  Feb 17

@elesimo - that was the only one I didn't record onto the computer after I did the tape so i could remember it. i honestly can't remember what i played on the guitar, although I remember liking it, lol. If you transfer the guitar part onto the computer and send me an MP3 I can figure it out pretty easily. πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 17

@zecoop no worries, I was just being lazy. Thanks! πŸ˜€

I bought a new 4-track, BTW. I got a Tascam 424 MKII so that I can play and record in normal speed. The Tascam 414 I had only records in 2X.

• @bachelorb  Feb 17

@eargoggle to be fair....we did originally schedule our trip in January... but they closed the park down for repairs.... probably a good thing too since we'd a been hangin out at the beach in 35 degree weather...... It would have been like summer in Michigan..... πŸ˜€

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 17

haha LOL @"but it might be faster to crowdsource the reconstruction of tapes from peoples' memories." - Now this thread has really gone old school! @vomvorton yeah sure i could do track 4. if you can see a duet go for it! i can try a lead thing otherwise, but i'm not a leady type generally, but i don't mind trying! tape 16 is still with me, not had chance to record it yet but plan to tomorrow (sunday) then it is due to go to @vomvorton . tape #16 is 1 @marvsmooth - guitar, 2 @zecoop - organ 3 me (double bass) and 4 @vomvorton

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 17

zecoop what is the tag/name of the spot where the cassettes are going too here in Fawm

• @zecoop  Feb 17

Yes please... Anyone who finishes a tape, feel free to post it wherever, but also e-mail me an MP3 or make it downloadable so that i can put it on the @fourtracktape page. πŸ˜€

@fourzeroes
    @pfoo
    @standup
    @cynthiawolff
    @nancyrost
    @eargoggle
    @guatecoop
    @burrsettles
    @bachelorb
    @cts
    @elesimo
    @vomvorton
    @shoehaze
    @alboe
    @marvsmooth
    @oblivionratula
    @cloudboy

• @zecoop  Feb 18

This arrived in the mail this weekend, so I'm thinking of ideas for it. Since it travelled pretty far around the world, and I think the drum track is pretty great for the song (not just a click), I decided to bounce everyting out to another tape, so that I can add additional parts and keep everything on the original tape! Still all analog recording, though... You composed a wonderful song Holly and Tomo, so thank you for sharing with this challenge!!! πŸ˜€

Tape 15
    Track 1 - @santadharma
    Track 2 - @lanasolyluna
    Track 3 - @marvsmooth
    Track 4 - @zecoop

• @zecoop  Feb 18

9661 miles traveled and here it is... Japan to England to the USA.
    Big thanks to @santadharma @lanasolyluna and @marvsmooth for making this one happen. I'm proud to be a part of this song. This challenge makes me smile every year. πŸ˜€

Protective Spines
    http://fawm.org/songs/84131/

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 18

wonderful thing to exist. i did some double bass on #16 and am wondering how the drums that were the "click track" will fare. i reckon my part was key to this and unless tightening it up etc it would be shame form my pov to lose it? what happens to the drums?

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 18

also @vomvorton i will be getting it in the post tomorrow

• @vomvorton  Feb 18

Thanks @wobbiewobbit, will be sending #9 in the opposite direction in the next couple of days!

• @zecoop  Feb 18

@wobbiewobbit - Most times the clicks go away, but the track I just posted on @fourtracktape had a great drum part and I ended up keeping it and moving the whole song to a second tape to add my parts. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 19

@zecoop - I’ve been thinking of a second four-track recorder for the last few years for exactly that reason!

• @zecoop  Feb 19

@marvsmooth - Luckily I got this one back when noone wanted them and they were cheap. My original just didn't turn on one day, so I got the second one. I got my original fixed a few weeks ago with the new electronics guy I found this year. Turns out it was an easy fix. πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 19

"Undercover Shutdown" is now up...
    http://fawm.org/songs/84221/

Tape 14
    @guatecoop: Hammond AutoVari 64 Drum Machine
    @standup: Electric Guitar
    @pfoo: Bass Guitar
    @zecoop: Electric guitar and synth

• @fourtracktape Feb 19

And Tape 10 is posted!!

Hold Her
    http://fawm.org/songs/84295/

@zecoop Hammond organ
    @Eargoggle electric bass guitar
    @pfoo drums
    @standup vocals and leads on the same mic, live in the room

• @alboe Feb 19

Tape # 5 is on its way to @shoehaze

• @vomvorton  Feb 20

Tape #9 is headed to @wobbiewobbit

• @marvsmooth  Feb 20

@alboe - funnily enough, your original tape 9 arrived today!

• @alboe Feb 20

@marvsmooth
    Wow, that's a new olympic record then. Nineteen days.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 20

@wobbiewobbit - tape 9 is tricky because I had to download @alboeβ€˜s instrument and click from the internet and then put them onto tape, but I couldn’t do it very easily on separate tracks.

I usually put the whole thing onto the computer, and then the separate tracks, which I line up to the original whole, then I delete the original, clean up the different tracks, and post up the mix.

Therefore it’s possible to do the same (or similar) by downloading @alboeβ€˜s part and doing this. Sorry for the trouble.

Alternatively, his original tape nine just arrived today!

• @vomvorton  Feb 20

@marvsmooth Tape 9 version 2 is going strong, no need to worry!

(I did take a digital recording of the three tracks so far before sending it on, just in case lightning strikes twice)

• @marvsmooth  Feb 20

@vomvorton - I have thought of recording something different on this tape mine and then posting to two other people to see what happens?

• @alboe Feb 20

@marvsmooth
    You mean my original tape #9?
    You have my blessing, would love to hear two different versions.

• @vomvorton  Feb 20

@marvsmooth @alboe good idea! It's always fun to hear different songs spring from the same source material!

• @nancyrost  Feb 20

@oblivionratula did you figure out what to do with Tape 17? If you haven't made arrangements with @marvsmooth , sending to @guatecoop in the US is also an option.

• @guatecoop  Feb 20

@oblivionratula , I can do it if you need to have someone to do tape 17.

• @elesimo  Feb 20

@cts, tape 13 was delivered to my house today! I'm going to work on it tonight and send it first thing in the morning to @cloudboy, get ready! πŸ˜€

• @cloudboy  Feb 21

@elesimo @cts Yes! Why am I nervous?! I've done this before.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 21

Who wants the alternative tape nine then? Two needed.

• @cts  Feb 21

@cloudboy - sweeeeeeeeet!!! Kick those nerves out the window! It’s jelly time!!!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 21

@quatecoop Sorry, been 'away.' I can get 17 on to you with regrets to @marvsmooth . Let me know your snail mail address via e-mail at oblivion at ratula dot net. If you get it to me anytime before noon Central, I should get it out today.

• @vomvorton  Feb 21

Tape 8 received today. I'll try to get something recorded quickly, who wants to take track 4 on this one once I'm done?

• @zecoop  Feb 21

So, everything is filled in (WOW!!!) except these two. Everything on schedule, folks? Songs should start arriving soon, I think for most of them. πŸ˜€
    Do we know where these are headed?

**Tape 8**
    Track 4:

Tape 9
    Track 1: @Alboe - bass and drums (digitally)
    Track 2: @Marvsmooth
    Track 3:
    Track 4:

• @cts  Feb 21

@vomvorton - It's a fourth track and the mixdown, right?

• @zecoop  Feb 21

@cts - doooo eeetttt....

• @cts  Feb 21

@zecoop - oh....ohh...I...I...well...YES!!! GIMME IT!! SEND IT TO ME!! I'M GONNA MAKE JELLY WITH IT!!!!

*CTS grabs paper bag and plops down in the corner"

• @nancyrost  Feb 21

Tape 9
    Track 1: Alboe - bass and drums (tracks sent digitally)
    Track 2: Marvsmooth
    Track 3: vomvorton
    Track 4: wobbiewobbit??

• @vomvorton  Feb 21

@nancyrost yep that's right!

Tape 9
    Track 1: Alboe - bass and drums (tracks sent digitally)
    Track 2: Marvsmooth - guitar
    Track 3: vomvorton - vocals and glockenspiel
    Track 4: wobbiewobbit - TBC

@cts I'll get Tape 8 sent over to you tomorrow if you're keen?
    It goes:
    Track 1: Marvsmooth - guitar
    Track 2: fourzeroes - bass
    Track 3: vomvorton - keyboard "marimba" and I also mixed across the rough beat from Martin's guide track because I loved it
    Track 4: YOU!?

• @cts  Feb 21

@vomvorton - yes, me. I'm thinking I may add some vocals/lyrics and some keyboard fills depending on what I hear. You have my address in the FAWM book of cassette challenge records, yes?

• @vomvorton  Feb 21

@cts sounds good - I have your address and will get it posted tomorrow.

I also had a note through the door saying I need to sign for a package at the post office (presumably tape 16 coming in from @wobbiewobbit) so I can combine tasks for an excellently cassette-based lunch break tomorrow!

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 21

oops @vomvorton - i confess i asked my very reliable friend to post it and she must've been extra cautious, didn't know you have to make trip and sign for it, sorry about that.

• @vomvorton  Feb 21

@wobbiewobbit not a problem, I don't have to go far! Probably a wise move with such precious cargo!

• @marvsmooth  Feb 21

@nancyrost - there’s a second tape 9 available, because we started another, sent that out, and then 19 days later I’ve received the original tape that to @alboe’s bass and drums has a completely different part to the one that @wobbiewobbit is finishing!

• @nancyrost  Feb 21

Oh right - @marvsmooth would you put both Tape 9's in list form and I'll get them into the Google Doc for more durable and accessible reference!

• @zecoop  Feb 21

Also... Isn't there an 18th tape from @marvsmooth coming to me?

• @marvsmooth  Feb 21

Is anyone interested in being second or third on a tape cassette that me and my friends (ex-bandmate Chall and my buddy Sam) are working on outside of FAWM on a Facebook page?

Chall will finish it probably with one of his fabulous toys! πŸ˜€

• @oblivionratula  Feb 21

@quatecoop You should get Tape 17 on Friday. Can post Tracking later if interested. @nancyrost please update Track 4 of Tape 17 accordingly (wasn't going to get to England on time).

• @fourzeroes Feb 21

Not sure if anyone pointed this out already, or whether it's dead obvious, but if you plug your four-track into a standard hi-fi tape machine and mix it in stereo, the resultant tape will be tracks 1 and 2 when you put it in your four track.

• @zecoop  Feb 21

@fourzeroes - I did something like that for the tape from Japan/England. Bounce!!! Usually in FAWM we don't have time for more than the four tracks, but some people get adventurous and bounce for more. πŸ˜€

• @standup  Feb 21

Some decks have extra mixer channels -- in the old days sometimes I'd play ONE MORE TRACK while bouncing the recording to the master.

• @zecoop  Feb 21

Back in the 90's I used to bounce out to VHS (instead of cassette) and back to keep even more fidelity

• @vomvorton  Feb 22

Tape 8 has been sent off to @cts - can't remember how long that usually takes but hopefully it'll make it before the end of the month (and we can create a placeholder if not). I took digital backups of the first three tracks just in case it goes missing.

And I've picked up tape 16 from the post office too. Should be able to finish that one off this weekend!

• @zecoop  Feb 22

Before FAWM closes, I'll be sure to put placeholders for all outstanding tapes. Hopefully we'll get a bunch finished up this weekend? There have to be some that are close, right? πŸ˜€

Any other updates?

• @burrsettles  Feb 22

@guatecoop just checking in on tape 12 status. πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 22

@zecoop I'm working on finishing tapes 1 and 6. I had some personal problems this week, but I should finish at least one of them by Sunday, and the other one in time (Mon/Tue).

• @zecoop  Feb 22

@elesimo - No worries... We have SIX days!! That's s ton of time. πŸ˜‰

• @nancyrost  Feb 22

I'm curious about the adventures of Tape 3 @guatecoop @standup @pfoo

• @oblivionratula  Feb 22

@cts @elesimo @cloudboy Any hints about what's on Tape 13, or should I just let myself be surprised? We still looking on schedule for me to get it maybe Monday?

• @nancyrost  Feb 22

Tape 4 arrived in Finland on the 20th and is heading to @shoehaze to finish.

• @cloudboy  Feb 22

@cts @elesimo @oblivionratula I just got it! Will work on it today and hopefully finish and send it out tomorrow. I have YET to listen. But @elesimo sent me the chord progression.

• @zecoop  Feb 22

@nancyrost - on its way to @@standup today.

• @cts  Feb 22

@cloudboy and @oblivionratula - I will only say Prince. Prince, and more Prince!

@cts Consider me stoked!

• @nancyrost  Feb 22

Excellent - thanks, @zecoop !

• @elesimo  Feb 22

@oblivionratula Tape 13 has drums on track 1 by @cts, and a simple chord progression on a Hammond organ on track 2:

C/G G F Am/E G/D

I kept it simple because we're short on time... but mostly because my skills on the keyboard are pretty limited. πŸ˜€

Ooooh, Hammond - tasty. Maybe it'll be a Hammond/Moog battle. πŸ˜‰

A weak battle, but still. πŸ˜‰

• @marvsmooth  Feb 22

@oblivionratula - that sounds great πŸ˜‰

• @cloudboy  Feb 22

@cts So funny you said that. I heard it and immediately went into a funky riff and I was like, "Channel Prince". Obviously I can't. @oblivionratula 13 now has electric guitar. I'll put it out in the mail tomorrow to you. @elesimo and @cts I hit it hard and now my left hand hurts. πŸ˜€ Loved working on it. And holy analog brain, Batman.

• @guatecoop  Feb 22

Tapes 12 and 3 will arrive on Saturday for @burrsettles and @standup /@pfoo ! Should be good.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 22

@zecoop - for tape 18 swap tracks 1 & 2 around.

• @burrsettles  Feb 22

@guatecoop awesome!

• @burrsettles  Feb 23

ugh. people. the yamaha 4-track i ordered online arrived yesterday, and it's broken. doesn't work. gears won't turn. so i'm going to have to do tapes 7 and 12 with the hissy tascam i'm borrowing from a friend. apologies for the poor sound quality, i'm sorry to do that to all your hard work... 😞

• @zecoop  Feb 23

@burrsettles - Hiss is fine... When I mix, I take each track individually to the computer, two at a time. Pan 1/2 L/R and transfer, then 3/4 panned L/R and transfer. Then I use Goldwave and copy the "hiss" before the song starts for each track and filter for noise reduction based on the sound on the clipboard. I can get pretty clean songs by doing this, but they still sound absolutely analog. πŸ˜€

But also don't feel like you have to do anything special - this is a 4-track challenge and tape hiss is cool. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 23

β€œ...copy the "hiss" before the song starts and filter for noise reduction based on the sound on the clipboard.”

That’s a great idea @zecoop πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 23

@marvsmooth - It makes for some very clean 4-track recordings, but really doesn't kill any of the analog vibe. When you get four channels of hiss it can really overwhelm the song. Recording at 1x without any noise reduction tends to make very hissy recordings, especially if the recording levels were low when the parts were recorded. πŸ˜€

• @marvsmooth  Feb 23

@zecoop - I’ve used noise reduction sometimes on the computer to remove the majority of the hiss!

In the future I should probably have the instrument/mic higher when recording, and that should push it above the natural hiss more.

Unfortunately I’ve even been lazy enough to record without using headphones to monitor on some recordings, which I remember telling myself off for back in the nineties, because you can’t hear if the levels are okay - β€œlights show you, but ears are better, and tell you how it sounds” as a teacher once told me back when I learnt sound recording in the analogue days!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 23

@zecoop Audacity (Noise Removal) and Reaper (ReaFir plugin) both have tools for this as well. A little hiss is cute, but Tape 17 was like a bucket of cobras. 😁 Was recording pre-DAW really this noisy!?!? 😁

• @zecoop  Feb 23

@oblivionratula - not if you took the time to get your recording levels right, used good quality type II tape, used high speed and Dolby.... πŸ˜€

• @zecoop  Feb 23

@oblivionratula - and although there are tools for noise removal in programs, as you said, I've found that the noise on the tapes are very specific to the track, depending on who recorded it. Copying the specific noise on each track and using that for the noise reduction takes away hiss without changing the sound of what was recorded very much.

• @vomvorton  Feb 23

It's amazing how different some of the tapes sound. I'm not sure if that's due to the tape itself or the chain of recordings it has been through on the way?

I'm intrigued by the sampling-the-hiss noise reduction method. The one I'll be finishing off this weekend barely has any hiss at all, it's magic.

• @vomvorton  Feb 23

Received tape 9b today. Any volunteers to finish this one off once I've done my track?

• @cloudboy  Feb 23

@cts @elesimo @oblivionratula Tape 13 is en route to its final destination. It should arrive by Monday. Woohoo!

• @alboe Feb 23

Hey @zecoop ,
    Just to make sure.
    Tape #9B is the original so nothing on there is digital.
    The replacement tape #9 was indeed an mp3 because luckily when I recorded I also plugged into my daw for safety reasons.
    And tape #5, I'm on track 3 but I didn't start that one, wasn't that @vomvorton or @fourzeroes ?

• @vomvorton  Feb 23

@alboe @zecoop #5 was the one that I started, I think.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 23

@zecoop That's how both of those work - they're not generic noise reduction - you point it at a 'fingerprint' of the noise you want to get rid of first. In my "Quaker Conversation," for example, I used it to get rid of the noise of an air filter I'd left on.

• @zecoop  Feb 23

@oblivionratula - Cool - I will have to check those out too! πŸ˜€

@vomvorton @alboe - So who is actually on 5? Is this right?
    Tape 5
    Track 1 vomvorton
    Track 2 marvsmooth
    Track 3 alboe
    Track 4 shoehaze

• @vomvorton  Feb 23

@zecoop yep, I think that's right.

• @fourtracktape Feb 23

Tape 2 is up!!! Thanks everybody... πŸ˜€

2 Stranger Things
    http://fawm.org/songs/85495/

@Alboe - Bass guitar
    @vomvorton - Synths
    @fourzeroes - Lyrics/vocals
    @wobbiewobbit - Guitar

• @cts  Feb 23

@cloudboy - sweet! I'll be ready to mix and post this weekend!

• @zecoop  Feb 23

@fourzeroes or @wobbiewobbit

Who wants to finish the (original) Tape 9 that was started but got lost in the post? It's going to have the same bass part as the alternate one but be a completely different song. πŸ˜€

Tape 9b - ORIGINAL (thanks post office)
    Track 1: @Alboe - bass and drums
    Track 2: @Marvsmooth (different than 9)
    Track 3:@vomvorton (ditto)
    Track 4:

• @fourtracktape Feb 23

Tape 16 is up... It started in Michigan and went to England for the rest. What a super fun song this turned into - great job everyone! . πŸ˜€

Automatic Friend
    http://fawm.org/songs/85556/

Track 1: @zecoop - GEM Sprinter combo organ
    Track 2: @marvsmooth - electric guitar
    Track 3: @wobbiewobbit - bass
    Track 4: @vomvorton - vocals and fuzz guitar

• @fourzeroes Feb 23

@zecoop @vomvorton I'll be that last one on 9b if you like. Never mixed one before

• @zecoop  Feb 24

@fourzeroes - Great!! We can talk you through it. πŸ˜€

• @guatecoop  Feb 24

We (@zecoop and I) just finished up tape 17! In case you were wondering, my family and I are staying at his house this weekend so we finished the tape together.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 24

@guatecoop Awesome! I literally JUST checked on the USPS tracking. Can't wait to hear the results.

• @fourtracktape Feb 24

Tape 17 is up!!!!

Ballet for a Plumber in Poughkeepsie
    http://fawm.org/songs/85724/

Tape 17
    @nancyrost, - Household Percussion
    @bachelorb, - Guitar
    @oblivionratula - Vocals and lead guitar
    @guatecoop and @zecoop - thematic appropriate elements

• @oblivionratula  Feb 24

\m/ Was it gauche of me, a participant, to Zong-bust it? I just got a little excited.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 24

@zecoop - Fingers crossed that tape 18 turns up at your place while @guatecoop and other family members are there!

• @nancyrost  Feb 24

@oblivionratula I figure the participants on the first three tracks can still be rather surprised by the final product!

• @burrsettles  Feb 24

turns out iZotope is running a sale on their "RX Elements" plugin right now, which includes noise and hum reduction fliters: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/r...

$29 right now ($100 off), so i'll see if that helps with the hiss.... πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Feb 24

@fourzeroes I'll get it in the post to you today!

• @standup  Feb 24

Tape #3 is in my hands!

• @zecoop  Feb 24

@metalfoot and @marvsmooth - Tape 18 is in my hands... πŸ˜€

• @burrsettles  Feb 24

tape 12 arrived today! that, and i also have a yamaha mt120 in my hands. going to get started on these tonight, i hope...

• @marvsmooth  Feb 25

Woohoo!

• @nancyrost  Feb 25

Tape 3 is done! La Fete http://fawm.org/songs/86178/
    @bachelorb Wurlitzer
    nancyrost lyrics/vocal
    @guatecoop tremolo guitar
    standup lead/twang guitar

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 25

i still have yet to press play on tape 9a. am doing the skirmishes today and tomorrow i plan to turn to it and get it posted.

• @fourtracktape Feb 26

Tape 18 is now up... And a first for @zecoop, since 2011 - he wrote lyrics and sang them. Yet another multi continent tape!!

Cross The Ocean
    http://fawm.org/songs/86640/

Tape 18
    Track 1: @metalfoot - guitar
    Track 2: @marvsmooth - bass
    Track 3: @guatecoop - drums
    Track 4:@zecoop - lyrics/vocals/guitar solo

• @elesimo  Feb 26

Tape 6 is up! http://fawm.org/songs/86692/

• @shoehaze Feb 26

Sooo... I just got both tapes that were assigned to me and they're both in single speed. My 4track can only do double speed!! I didn't know there was an agreement to use single speed, I thought every machine could do double. I'll try to salvage these the best I can before the time is up, I can't send them forward before 28th.

• @zecoop  Feb 26

@shoehaze - Yea in the first post of the forum, I have the basics, and we do *try* to do 1x and no dolby, because in general that would be what we *thought* was standard, lol. Mine has both speeds, but many just have 1x. You never know, I guess, lol. I'd never heard of a playere that only had 2x.

If you can record a part at 2x, you might be able to slow the whole mixed down song back to half speed (1x) in Audacity, GoldWave or in a DAW.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 26

I’ve always been irritated that mine only does 1x

• @zecoop  Feb 26

@shoehaze - A few more options...

1: Take the tracks individually (or mix the current song) into your computer before you record parts. Then use audacity or goldwave or your DAW to slow it down to normal speed.
    2: You could just record your parts into the DAW at that point, if you want to get them done. or...
    3: You could transfer the slowed down song on to a new tape at your 2X speed and record your parts onto that new tape.

Hopefully one of these options will work for you! πŸ˜€

• @elesimo  Feb 26

@marvsmooth same here, I have a Tascam 414 MK1 and an MK2, and they only do a single speed. I signed up for the challenge and discovered it was 2X instead of 1X like I assumed. Luckily I was able to find a 424 MK2 in good shape for a reasonable price ($140) on Craigslist at the beginning of FAWM.

I also have a Tascam 484, it's an 8-track. I wonder if I can find 7 other people with an 8 track for next FAWM! 😁

• @shoehaze Feb 26

@zecoop thanks for the tips! Transferred the tracks individually with a high sampling rate, then denoised, stretched and mixed down. It sounds ok now. Here's tape 4! Actually on this one the drums were at 2x and piano at 1x if I hear it right? Then my part at 2x again

https://soundcloud.com/royalfckup/jam...

• @zecoop  Feb 26

@shoehaze - Nicely done... Yes, you are correct. guatecoop didn't see that things are usually done at 1x and recorded at 2x. Nancy and Cynthia didn't have 2x available on theirs (afaik). If you can make it downloadable, that would be awesome. πŸ˜€

• @shoehaze Feb 26

@zecoop made it downloadable. Yeah I'm happy withto how it turned out

• @marvsmooth  Feb 26

@shoehaze forgot to post it, so here it is - http://fawm.org/songs/86843/

• @oblivionratula  Feb 26

Not just songwriters, but freakin' engineers. πŸ˜‰ Love the teamwork.

• @oblivionratula  Feb 26

Tape 13 has landed:
    Delivered, In/At Mailbox

Hope to get it finished/mixed/posted tonight.

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 26

@shoehaze whatta Wizard!
    thanks so much for all your effort..you got skills bro.

• @elesimo  Feb 27

Tape 1 is out: http://fawm.org/songs/87059/

And we need 2 more for a @fourtracktape win β€” 14 tapes! πŸ˜€

• @cloudboy  Feb 27

@oblivionratula @cts @elesimo I can't wait. What I've heard so far from this group has been tight. I can't even remember what I played. HAHA!

• @cts  Feb 27

@cloudboy - so who has cassette 13 now? @elesimo - very much appreciate the gesture. It was a bright spot and great ending to a very hectic workday. Thank you, man!

• @nancyrost  Feb 27

@cts - Tape 13 should be with @oblivionratula now.

• @cts  Feb 27

Thanks, @nancyrost!

• @oblivionratula  Feb 27

@cts Yep, I have Tape 13 and got it loaded into Reaper. I'm torn on what my part is going to be - tried playing bass and keys at the same time, but that didn't work out great. 😁 Feel it needs a bottom end, but also want to throw some lead in - so maybe I'll use the baritone YET AGAIN. Or may engineer some trickery to fit what I wont onto my track. Just want to live up to the rest of the tracks (do you want a hint on what you did, or want to be surprised? πŸ˜€ ). Hope to finish up tonight barring this illness that's been batting me around.

• @cloudboy  Feb 27

@oblivionratula I am sure whatever you do will be exciting. I know I played way up the neck and that’s what has put you in this spot. Apologies. How about a bass lead? 😜

• @cloudboy  Feb 27

@cts Sorry if if I confused you! Looking forward to 13!

• @cts  Feb 27

@oblivionratula - surprise me!
    @cloudboy - all good. Just making sure everybody’s covered.

• @marvsmooth  Feb 27

@oblivionratula - do a @zecoop where you somehow transfer everything to give yourself more tracks for both bass and a keyboard.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 27

sorry for delay on tape 9a... i did get to it yesterday had a bit of a writing wrestle with it and finished writing this morning... between building work on both sides of my house so cant record yet... but when they pack up dor the day i will hopefully get it done and mixed n posted tonight

• @oblivionratula  Feb 27

@cloudboy No apology necessary - I love what you laid down - fits perfectly with tracks 1 & 2 and took me right to a musical place. Well-played as well. Just forcing me to be more creative, which is not a bad thing. I tried a more 'bass lead' thing, but I'm ham-fisted on 4 strings and wasn't happy with it. I'll see if the bari-guitar fills out the bottom enough, otherwise . . .

@marvsmooth I think I've got an option figured out - what's there is begging for some MIDI, so could see how adept I am at playing guitar and a MIDI foot controller at the same time. o.O If I just had ONE more track for a sync track, this would be easy, but who wants easy? And I thought about bouncing tracks, but track 1 really needs to be by itself as it need some compression to shine and 2 & 3 should be stereo-separated. If I get really desperate, I'll pull my reel-to-reel (stereo only) deck in to keep the tape ethos, but I'm not sure it's ready for game time. And speaking of time . . . .

• @zecoop  Feb 27

@guatecoop - just thought you should be aware that
    @oblivionratula brought up the words "reel to reel" πŸ˜€

• @fourtracktape Feb 27

Oh.... You all are in for a treat. The reanimated Tape 9 is now posted. Get ready for some fun.

Possible Future
    http://fawm.org/songs/87378/

Tape 9
    Track 1: @Alboe - Bass (sent digitally)
    Track 2: @Marvsmooth - Guitar
    Track 3:@vomvorton - Vocals/glockenspiel
    Track 4: @wobbiewobbit - vocals

• @shoehaze Feb 27

Tape 5!
    Track 1 @vomvorton - electric guitar
    Track 2 @marvsmooth - organ
    Track 3 @alboe - BASS
    Track 4 @shoehaze - balalaika

https://soundcloud.com/royalfckup/laika

• @fourzeroes Feb 27

Am I meant to upload the tape I just finished, or am I waiting for @fourtracktape to upload it? It's tape 9b, but sounds nothing at all like 9a. I hope it's something like as fun to listen to as it was to record.

• @fourtracktape Feb 27

@fourzeroes - Either way. You can e-mail me at zecoop at yahoo dot com or upload it. If you upload it, please make it downloadable and collab with fourtracktape. πŸ˜€

• @fourtracktape Feb 28

The 4-trackers are getting some serious funk on with the last few, thanks to the Postal Service! 9a and 9b share the drums and bass, but each took that funky base and made it their own... Another winner!

Grab Your Baby
    http://fawm.org/songs/87483/

AND... the song that @shoehaze gave us above is also posted and was the 14th song for 2018!!! WE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laika
    http://fawm.org/songs/87472/

• @fourtracktape Feb 28

So which tapes are still out there? I think there were 19 total? We have 15 posted

Tape 12
    Track 1: @eargoggle
    Track 2: @zecoop

Tape 7
    Track 1: @pfoo
    Track 3: @cts
    Track 4: @burrsettles

**Tape 8**

And?

• @oblivionratula  Feb 28

Tape 13
    Track 4: @oblivionratula

Going to work on it after the kids go to bed and post it tonight.

• @zecoop  Feb 28

Thanks @oblivionratula πŸ˜€

@cts and @burrsettles - What have you got planned?

• @cts  Feb 28

@burrsettles has it. Not sure what he's doing with it. I added to track three (vocals/lyrics).

• @zecoop  Feb 28

@cts - Has Tape 8 already been posted? Looks like you are last on that one.

• @burrsettles  Feb 28

I have tapes 7 and 12 and will wrap them up and post tomorrow (leaving it down to the wire). Having fun with them but also finding it more challenging than expected....

• @cts  Feb 28

@zecoop - verily I must say tape 8 has not made it to my mailbox. I was anticipating it yesterday, but instead I got @elesimo's nice gesture in the form of a letter and FAWM card!

Tape 13 (Inorganic Chemistry) is alive! http://fawm.org/songs/87684/

I'm not 100% happy with the mix, but my ears are way past fatigued (the tinnitus crickets are on full alarm), so here we are. I like the way the parts fit together, I'm just not sure it's balanced, sonically. Anyway, can always remix, right?

I'm totally going to sample that Linn Drum . . .

@zecoop Let me know if I did (or didn't) post that up correctly. I can only set one collaborator (@fourtracktape )? So the other players don't get 'credit'? I'm new at this. Thanks.

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 28

thanks @zecoop for running this very cool challenge, i really enjoyed being part of it for the first time. The whole process showed me so much. First i was surprised at the sensation of putting the tape in had such unfamiliarity (how do these things go again?) for something that used to be so familiar. fragile! i actually had to do the biro thing on tape 9a that kept getting stuck when rewinding. i got the tracks onto pc asap to practise to and avoid risk of damaging tape. rewind. you have to wait for it to actually literally - rewind. no jumping instantly to certain points. drop ins/outs much harder so definitely a one-take then, and recording my parts felt more heightened/proper/solid. made me appreciate lots of things i have come to take for granted in the digital realm. on the 2 that i mixed i could only get a mix on the pc of the 4-track's stereo mix... when i tried getting the individual tracks off there was too much drift in timings... then i did use some of my digital toys (EQ,

• @wobbiewobbit  Feb 28

(EQ, noise reduction, compression) and i have appreciated thinking in a mastering rather than mixing way and feel i have a much better understanding of the difference between those things than i had a month ago and a practical handle on it. (nothing like some proper noise to hear the NR in action). All 3 tapes i was sent were great musically and i enjoyed the collaboration side there. It was so exciting to see the tape-shaped jiffy bags dropped through the letterbox. retro or what? The whole process has been wonderful. What a cool challenge and fantastic that the tapes also Won FAWM πŸ˜€ Well done fellow 4-trackers. Oldschool Gold. <3

• @elesimo  Feb 28

@oblivionratula it's correct, only 2 people can collaborate. I published a song on my page, and just linked to the version you uploaded, so I get credit as well.

BTW, any chance you can send me the wav file for the song?

• @fourtracktape Feb 28

@oblivionratula - that's right. Unfortunately only one collaborator in FAWM but the others can put a song up on their page that points to this one and collaborate with each other. Other option is I post it and the collaborators post as well but then the comments get split which makes it harder to see all the comments

• @vomvorton  Feb 28

I've posted locked tracks on my page for the ones I'm not already tagged as a collaborator for. Fingers crossed for multiple collaborators in the FAWM code next year, or we'll just have to keep skewing the stats πŸ˜‰

@elesimo I'll put up the Reaper project with wavs on my server but it won't be until March. πŸ˜‰ I'd love to hear remixes!

• @elesimo  Feb 28

@oblivionratula awesome, thanks!

• @cloudboy  Feb 28

@oblivionratula I'd love a wav too! Keep us posted and feel better. Again amazing work @cts and @elesimo. My ears were happy. And @cts I had never heard of a LinnDrum. I looked it up and...damn, that's a fun machine.

• @oblivionratula  Mar 1

@cts @elesimo @cloudboy et al., here's a zip file of all 4 tracks plus a Reaper project file: http://ratula.net/FAWM/18/Tape13wavsI... it's 113 MB. The Reaper project will complain about missing files - they're just other 'takes' of prior imports of the tape I did getting levels and my part right. Also, of course if you don't have all the plugins I used, things may be wonky, but it's a starting point if you're a Reaper user. And if not, well, you still have the wavs.

• @cloudboy  Mar 1

Thanks @oblivionratula! I had a great time with the challenge and listening to (almost) all of the creations! I’ll be back. And @marvsmooth thanks for encouraging me to pick up a 4-track again!

• @zecoop  Mar 1

Wow.... I'm just amazed at how awesome this challenge has become since 2014 when I had this really crazy idea. Last year was the first year we "won", and this year, with 19 tapes and just INCREDIBLE songs, well, it is just overwhelming. Thinking about how much dedication, time and love went into these, not to mention $postage$ - it was all so worth it. Tapes going nearly around the world; lots of tapes crossing the Atlantic; people going the extra mile to get tapes done and include people; as well as finding new (old) ways to get more tracks on a 4-track tape. I'm really proud, happy and excited...

Special thanks to Nancy and others who helped re-create the lost master list, and to those who re-created lost tapes!!

Thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for all that you did to make this a wonderful experience!! πŸ˜€

@fourzeroes
    @pfoo
    @standup
    @cynthiawolff
    @nancyrost
    @eargoggle
    @guatecoop
    @burrsettles
    @bachelorb
    @cts
    @elesimo
    @vomvorton
    @shoehaze

• @vomvorton  Mar 1

Is Tape 8 the only one left still to be posted? Hope it finds its way to @cts soon, but I have a digital backup of tracks 1-3 if not!

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

@zecoop - Is there a placeholder for tape 8?

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

I forgot to put a placeholder up for tape 8. Oops 😞

• @zecoop  Mar 1

@vomvorton - It is the last one! You could probably send @cts the files just in case. πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Mar 1

@marvsmooth I made a placeholder and there's one on the fourtracktape page too. I'll collab you on mine...

• @zecoop  Mar 1

@marvsmooth - fourtracktape has a placeholder up, with cts, since he'll be mixing it.

• @marvsmooth  Mar 1

@vomvorton - thanks πŸ˜€

I don’t know how I forgot that one, although I was originally not going to put four-track challenge pieces up on my page.

• @oblivionratula  Mar 1

@zecoop this was truly my favorite part of my first FAWM. I was hesitant to join because I wasn't sure I could hold my own, but I'm so glad I jumped in with both feet. Next year, I'd love to get a Track 1 or 2 slot to see what that pay-off is like, but mixing is fun, too. I think I said elsewhere, but it bears repeating - thanks so much for organizing this madness.

The dual nature of Tape 9 gave me a crazy idea for next year. A reverse Pyramid Scheme: Each person makes an extra copy of his/her tape and sends them to different people. It would end up with 8 different mixes. The problems I can think of are that participants (except mixers) need a blank tape and the ability to duplicate a 4-track (analog or digitally). Also, double the $postage$. Just an idea.

Again, great fun, you all rock! And/or roll.

• @vomvorton  Mar 1

I want to throw in another "this was really fun!" comment, I'm so glad I picked up my four-track last year.

I think track one and track four are both the trickiest place to go, and the most satisfying overall... but I think I got a chance to try all four places in the chain this year and the results were always exciting!

Maybe I'll actually make an effort to use my four-track in one of the non-February months of the year this time, haha...

• @cts  Mar 2

Well, @zecoop, no need for files to be sent - tape arrived this evening! I probably won't be able to get to it until the weekend, but we'll have jelly soon enough. @marvsmooth - we're good to go, brochacho!

• @lanasolyluna Mar 2

We had a great time. Thanks!!!

• @wobbiewobbit  Mar 2

@zecoop @vomvorton @marvsmooth @alboe @fourzeroes I would like to put up the 4 track collaborations I was involved with on my website. would that be ok with you all? ( http://wobbiewobbit.com ) I would obviously credit it you as you wish and put whatever links to your sites or profiles. thanks

• @vomvorton  Mar 2

@wobbiewobbit fine by me!

• @alboe Mar 2

@wobbiewobbit
    Fine by me too.

• @marvsmooth  Mar 2

@wobbiewobbit okay with me

• @zecoop  Mar 2

Absolutely @wobbiewobbit - Same question from me, actually, as I always plan on putting the songs I was on into my FAWM Bandcamp album.
    @cynthiawolff
    @bachelorb
    @elesimo
    @standup
    @Pfoo
    @guatecoop
    @eargoggle
    @metalfoot
    @vomvorton
    @marvsmooth
    @lanasolyluna
    @santadharma
    @burrsettles

• @bachelorb  Mar 2

That’s good with me put em up, you all have my permission..... I probably won’t because I suck at the synth and drums.........and French......... 😁

• @marvsmooth  Mar 2

@bachelorb you’re awesome, Brad! πŸ˜€

Fine with me, and I was thinking of something sort of similar, but setting up an β€œalbum” on my soundcloud account called β€œFour-Track Challenge”, because the Facebook page for it doesn’t seem to going anywhere fast!

So, I wondered if it was okay to post them up there as examples of what can be done, and some of us are actually in that Facebook group.

• @zecoop  Mar 2

Go for it Martin!! πŸ˜€

• @metalfoot  Mar 2

@zecoop You always have my permission to use stuff we've worked on together.

• @vomvorton  Mar 2

I give my full consent for anyone to do whatever they like with any tape I added a part to!

• @eargoggle  Mar 2

All good with me if anyone wants to add anything I was on to anything...you could credit me as Ezra Gale or you could just put me as the Eargoggle and I’ll just be mysterious like that...mysterious sells better right LOL!

• @nancyrost  Mar 2

Fine with me if anyone wants to share/publish tapes I've contributed to.

• @elesimo  Mar 2

Same here. My music is usually released as CC (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/...), but for these collaborations feel free to do whatever you want.

• @alboe Mar 2

I'm on tape 2,5,9 and 9B
    Full permission to post the songs wherever you want.
    If there are credits to be mentioned @alboe will do fine or Marcello Briganti. Exotic names may also up the sales πŸ˜€ ?
    And maybe you can post on this forum where songs have been placed so I can take a look later.

• @zecoop  Mar 2

(looks to see if I have @vomvorton @eargoggle @elesimo and @alboe / Marcello Briganti together on any tapes)

My 'sales' are going to go through the roof due to exotic names this year!!!!! LOL

<sales of free albums>

• @fourzeroes Mar 2

@wobbiewobbit (and anyone else wanting to do similar) absolutely. Go for it.

It's weird, I feel very little attachment to Stranger Things but a great deal to Grab Your Baby, even though I basically did the same thing on both, and I put a lot more time into the former. Grab Your Baby I didn't even bother writing down before singing.

Still eager to find out what happens to Tape 8, even though I only played some very basic bass guitar on it.

• @santadharma Mar 2

It’s ok if you want to post our tracks @zecoop @marvsmooth just let us know when you do and we’ll also link to it 😊

• @burrsettles  Mar 3

@zecoop OK with me if you put it on your album πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  Mar 3

I am ok with anyone posting songs that I played on.

I still have several @fourtracktape songs to listen to, but they have all been a lot of fun and interesting.

• @standup  Mar 3

@zecoop ok to post anything I played on

• @cts  Mar 6

Same here: if I’m on it and you want to post it, have at it!

• @vomvorton  Mar 6

Aww, I saw "last post: @cts" and thought it might be "Tape 8 has arrived!" - still no sign? FAWM can't end until Tape 8 sings!

• @cts  Mar 6

@vomvorton - fear not for it is in my possession and will be brought forth in a few days...work life calls!

• @vomvorton  Mar 6

@cts excellent news! My faith in transatlantic mail is restored 😁

• @cts  Mar 10

Hey - I've got the last song ready. Who do I need to send it to because I can't edit from my page.

• @nancyrost  Mar 10

Send to zecoop

• @nancyrost  Mar 10

Can't wait to hear it @cts !

• @fourtracktape Mar 11

And.... the last 4-Track cassette is up!!! It's a fun party song to celebrate an excellent 4_track FAWM over!
    Awesome job everyone! πŸ˜€

A Good Day 2 Live Life
    http://fawm.org/songs/88113/

**Tape 8**

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...