Advanced Guitar Technique Guide (pdf)

Skip to the bottom

• @ianuarius 1 week

During 50/90 I wrote this guide for guitar technique on the forum. It's not for beginners, but I don't see a real harm in reading it even if you are. Also, it's from a perspective of guitar, but the core method is applicable to any instrument. I'm currently rewriting the stuff and hopefully publishing it at some point.

http://juhakeranen.com/Guitar%20Techn...

I'd really appreciate if you're at all interested in playing guitar that you went through the pdf and tell me...

- if there are some parts of it that need further explanation
    - if some sections are really badly structured
    - if you want my take on something a bit more specific
    - if you can't figure something out

I want this to be a really good and clear guide, but I'm not a very good communicator. So, any help would be excellent! So far, these are the changes planned for it:

- Cut the intro, because it really drags. Btw. you can just start on page 10, if you don't care about the more philosophical aspects of my thought process.
    - Add a lot of pictures of how to position your hands etc.

Anyone giving the guide a look, a thousand times THANK YOU! 😀

EDIT: Here's a shared Google Document, where you can write any comments. Otherwise, comments on the thread are also appreciated.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_...

E: Personal note: Gotta mention ssomething about moving to licks from different directions.

• @headfirstonly  1 week

Will do - how do you want feedback? Word document with comments?

• @ianuarius 1 week

Either one would be great! Comments have a character limit and are a bit more limiting in other ways, too. But if that's easier to you, then I don't mind.

And no need to consider my feelings. Just say what needs to be said.

• @ustaknow 1 week

@ianuarius I don't see a way to send feedback. FB is 404, I stay away from twitter, --so how did you want the feedback? I went to your webpage, (fast skim), --didn't see an email, and I know we all have to have a functional email for FAWM don't see that to message to.

All the best with it.

Here's some irony for you, some may really get a chuckle... I used to work for a well known publisher, but, had a staff of editors that loved my comments since gave them so much to work with as "core dump". So me taking the editing side is ironic.

What could help me, too, is your well defined target market and how to distribute. So if for folks of 12th grade reading apx mid-teens to adult and online from Webpage and if can spec. --genre. 2 Chords and line will never read this. Yet a heavy theory person may since learning an instrument is not theory, rather praxis and often sans Theory-theory, so to speak, if you get my drift.

So, if I get a well formed thesis statement, -- I can better feedback of value. I may not be able to offer you value. But since have known you from FAWM, --can give is a shot if have time. I saw this as you first drop it, iteratively. I admired the interaction you openly gave for it.

So, LMK 😀

• @ianuarius 1 week

@ustaknow Thanks! I don't really use FB. Do you use Google Docs? You could write it there and hand me a link. Or I could give you a doc where you can write stuff?

I think the core demographic is people that were in the same rut as I was. And I feel like there are a lot of them. People who want to play technically more advanced stuff but don't have any idea how to do it. I would've bought a book like this in an instant.

I don't know what it is about guitarists. They want to play Metallica solos but don't want to take lessons. They're rarely the theoretically most advanced people... unless they go to a jazz academy or something.

Guitar is like the street hockey of instruments. This is a collection of instructions that nobody ever tells guitarists.

• @ustaknow 1 week

Hey @ianuarius provide a shared google doc.

• @ianuarius 1 week

Alright, here's a link for anyone who wants to provide feedback. I'm going to structure it according to the headers in the document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_...

• @tiller2  1 week

Hi, thanks for posting this. I am reading it for my own edification and will comment as I can and see would be useful.

• @songsville 1 week

@ianuarius I read it and enjoyed it. It was helpful just by its very existence as it made me realise I have never thought about my technique at all, ever, never had the simple thought 'could I be doing something different' or 'how about getting better at this?'

So it made me feel like I am a hopeless guitarist but at least not helpless as you have given me wonderful tools for self-improvement ... 😀

I like the emphasis on relaxation -- I read recently that Julian Lage, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6WS...) who was a child prodigy, still gripped the neck fiercely like it was the huge thing it was to him when he was 4 years old. He suddenly realised he was a strong adult now and could relax his hold, and it helped a lot ...

Plus, any book with a Zamboni in always gets my vote 😀

• @ianuarius 1 week

@tiller2 Thanks! I hope you find something useful there. 😀

@songsville Thank you for reading through! Relaxation is something I've never heard anyone teach anywhere. Maybe there was a random forum reply somewhere on Ultimate Guitar... or I'm just making it up.

It really does make all the difference. And when you combine it with the rest of the stuff, you start to make giant leaps ahead.

• @tiller2  6 days

In skimming your piece, I think it is valuable, and I plan to read it more carefully over time. IMO you discount and apologize for your ideas too much--it's exhausting, so that when the reader reaches the good content, he finds it hard to change gears and concentrate. My advice is to give your background philosophy in a more condensed form, as an intro, but then: speak your truth, devote the body of the piece to laying out your ideas without equivocation. I may have more specific feedback, if desired, when I have more time. And I hope you see these comments here as constructive. I totally admire what you are trying to do! Good luck

• @brrrse  6 days

As I just restrung my guitar and am thinking about playing it again, this is timely. I can't get to it "real soon" but I'm going to put it in my schedule and go through it thoroughly and take notes. Thanks for doing this.

• @stuartbenbow  2 days

I'm game. Always looking to up my knowledge, and I know I have some gaps to fill. I'll try to keep thoughts to what can be tweaked as I read. Thanks for putting this together.

• @candle 2 days

Looking forward to reading the whole document.

See You In The Shadows…

• @axl 2 days

@ianuarius Ex guitar teacher and Alexander Technique teacher here. So far, I've only read about half of your piece but I already think that you're up to something here. Yes, I think the document needs editing but it contains some deep insight into topics that are extremely important but are usually overlooked. Great stuff! i've added some comments to the shared doc.

About the visualization: I also have heard Steve Vai talk about this but I think I've never really gotten it. Just don't seem to understand how to 'correctly do it'.

• @ianuarius 2 days

@axl The trick is that there's nothing to do with visualization.

It's like if you want to draw a really cool picture that someone else did but don't know how, you take a sheet of paper, place it on top of the other picture, and trace it through the paper.

With visualization, you just conjure up an image of how something is played by an amazing guitarist. Then you look at that image, analyze it, and do everything exactly the same way.

It's just a tool for figuring out details.

Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm and interest! So glad I'm getting feedback here. 😀

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...