How are you preparing for FAWM '18?

Skip to the bottom

• @quork  Jan 2018

I have a year's worth of song concepts, rough lyrics and draft chord progressions. My plan over the next three weeks is to go through this material and organize it into songs to work on in February.

What are you doing before February 1st?

• @tiller2  Jan 2018

I have a short hook/idea list but mostly trying to clear my recording project out of the way and make my songwriting mind blank for Feb.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

I have a plan in mind for my 14, and other than that, just trying to get well before February so I can sing my heart out...

• @zecoop  Jan 2018

I need to clean the studio... My floor space has reduced dramatically, lol. Other than that... no preparation. I need to play guitars more this month to get my callouses back! ๐Ÿ˜€

• @mdavisto  Jan 2018

I have absolutely no idea how it's going to go. I know I'm keen, but, that's about it.

• @cts  Jan 2018

Shelving lots of old songs on separate hard drive. Writing all of my ideas on sticky notes. Watching Mix 2gether featuring the awesome Joe Gilder. Listening to the remastered Purple Rain Deluxe set. Listening to The Bamboos. Listening to quite a few FAWMers from last year to see who I could possible write songs for...
    ...that's my plan.

• @ustaknow Jan 2018

Oiled the chair again ๐Ÿ˜€

• @mdavisto  Jan 2018

Ooh, I forgot, I actually did do a thing that counts, a bit. I cleaned out and reorganised my plugins folders in FL Studio (which is my weapon of choice).

I went through all the synths and threw out the ones I never use or are inherently crap (into a backup folder because what if I one day need them hoard hoard hoard hoard). I did the same for the effects.

Then I went through the tedious task of removing each plugin from the database and adding it back into the correct category. I could have just moved them but the rats nest that was my plugin library dates from 5 versions of FL back. These days, when you add a plugin, it makes a screenshot thumbnail as well.

So my plugs are now neatly organised and pretty. I'm sure that'll help.

• @barrygoldman  Jan 2018

Coming up with some rough ideas, generally saving my tunes for February. This is the build up period, it may make my next album come along nicer as my last did. So I'm just waiting, coming up with this and that along the way.

• @adnama17  Jan 2018

I'm supposed to prepare for this thing???

• @iveg Jan 2018

I'm watching Friends reruns and petting the dog.

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 2018

@iveg WINNING

• @cblack  Jan 2018

I'm trying to put together a debut EP to be released right before FAWM starts. Because then for FAWM I can do an album. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @w1n  Jan 2018

I'm trying to wrap up Two unfinished long term recording projects I've been working on for others. And also doing the final touches on an EP of music I wrote during FAWM16 & FAWM17. Trying my best to get into a productive and creative mood

• @jibbidy34  Jan 2018

Yeah...saved my archive, updated my profile. Come on February....!

• @chipwithrow  Jan 2018

Fun thread to read! My prep began a few days ago when I checked to see if there was activity here - and there is!
    I've been practicing my new ukulele. It was an unexpected yet totally welcome Christmas gift.
    In fact, I was just playing blues in G on it, and a song idea came to me. So I started a "FAWM Ideas 2018" document, wrote a first verse, and then stopped myself. Gotta wait til Feb 1!
    I should probably go back and look at my list of FAWM/5090 ideas from last year, too - I know there are quite a few I didn't get to.

• @ampersandman  Jan 2018

I'm trying to finish last year's album and started taking notes of little ideas.
    Already last year I started to compile a spotify playlist with inspiring sounds since I want to embrace rhythm, beats and electronic sounds this year.

• @corinnelucy  Jan 2018

Listening to all the music that I wish my music was more similar to. I'll be doing some admin with all the scraps and ideas too - I write in a notepad usually, but during last FAWM I kept a Word document so I could be more organised about what promising threads I still had to follow and that helped a lot. I'm also going to a songwriting workshop at the end of January and I'm bound to come home with a bumper crop of ideas. HELLO FAWM!

• @tiller2  Jan 2018

Oh, and I'm putting my fawm tee-shirts and hoodie into rotation.

• @tootoobee  Jan 2018

CLEANING my desk, my DAW, my mind, the house ... so there's enough room to stuff it with clutter in February.

• @gromwaf Jan 2018

I bought a pig from a local farmer...
    And yes... It's almost time to do some cleaning in the studio...

• @brrrse  Jan 2018

I got the Breedlove 3/4 acoustic out and played around. I like this E open tuning I set up - but wanted to go back to standard tuning. As I carefully turned one of the pegs, my muse cautioned me to hold the guitar in cello-style while I tuned it - sure enough.. PING - string broke. No injuries, thankfully, but I'm thinking the universe is saying to leave the acoustic alone right now.

• @ustaknow Jan 2018

Hey @gromwaf - where did you get lessons for playing the pig?
    -- I know you like metal... can't wait to hear the Mix. ๐Ÿ˜

• @gromwaf Jan 2018

@ustaknow ahh, the pig is for sacrificial purposes only. Not to be played... Haha...

• @oneslowtyper  Jan 2018

I updated my bio with a few words... then prepare for play-offs. Not a big to-do list, so I'm good. LOL

• @chipwithrow  Jan 2018

I noticed several of you (not as many as I thought) have some rough ideas and scraps of songs ready to go. More of you than I thought said you're going in with a blank slate.
    I used to be a stickler for starting from scratch right on Feb 1 (or July 4 for 5090). Then I started compiling lists of titles. Now (and I just did it again this morning) I can't help myself from coming up with a few lines or even a first verse. And last night, and again this morning, I recorded some uke noodling that I think can become instrumentals.
    I usually go well past 14 songs (28 is my personal best, and 17 last year felt like an off-year) and I've proven to myself I can easily complete the challenge. So even with this saving of ideas, I'll probably come up with 14 new ones once Feb 1 rolls around.

• @andygetch  Jan 2018

Practice my instruments, learn songs I wrote and covers, and read. I write a quick song a week between challenges just to stay in songwriting shape and cause I can't not. Then I increase to two then three songs a week before the challenge start. I now have a theme and have jotted down a list of title ideas.

• @frey Jan 2018

I'm not. I'm going to go with the first thoughts that pop into my head each day of February. ๐Ÿ˜

• @ianuarius  Jan 2018

Previous years I've been really excited for it to start. This year I'm not. So, I think it's going to go well.

How am I preparing? I'm not. I'll figure it out on the spot. What could go wrong?

• @sailingmagpie  Jan 2018

The thing that always takes me the longest is making beats, so this year, I'm making some basic ones that I can use to write to. Hopefully this means I can concentrate on the important stuff and not get as bogged down!

• @tcelliott  Jan 2018

Trying to finish this album that was suppose to be done December 1st. Artwork, final mixes... some sort of mastering process... figuring out distribution etc.,

• @brrrse  Jan 2018

@tcelliott I +1 and like your post.

• @tootoobee  Jan 2018

Lot's of great ideas to put on my list as well! Thank you FAWMily ๐Ÿ˜€ Guess I have some stuff to do than just cleaning (and even this will keep me busy ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 2018

I've booked a week's holiday to hang out with one of my favourite collaborators. Does that count?

• @kathym  Jan 2018

I am now in living quarters that should give me more flexibility than I've had in several years. I've got a week off in January, so my to do list is fairly sizeable, but with fawm coming up, I should feel more motivated.
    I really need to get a new printer, so that is going to be on my to do list as well. I've got all the strings, picks, notebooks, etc. that I'll need. I could use a new fawm hoodie and perhaps a new coffee mug.

• @juoppis  Jan 2018

I rewired my music room, got a new Mac dedicated for this stuff and a couple of new displays. Oh, and really went crazy during the Black Friday. I think I have about 300 gigs of virtual synths and drums and so on to go during FAWM.

Since I now have probably tens of thousands of presets I need to really pick just something in order to move forward during FAWM. Otherwise I'm tinkering the sounds of my first song on the last of February.

• @iveg Jan 2018

@tcelliott +1 like. I haven't finished any songs on my Dec 1 album.

• @atitlan Jan 2018

Mainly by lots of noodling with synths in my VST collection - getting to know the sounds so that I can find what I'm looking for when I need it and getting some riff and melody fragments that may find their way into songs during FAWM.

Also been doing a lot of listening to music - revisiting the well.

Still need to turn my 50/90 songs into an album. Just haven't got round to it yet.

• @brrrse  Jan 2018

Today is the day to break out all your old Advent Calendars and Christmas countdown calendars. Only 24 days left until FAWM! Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

• @torniojaws Jan 2018

I never prepare for FAWM, except by setting up a template Cubase project a few days before February. Keeps it much more fresh for me ๐Ÿ˜€ I never know what kind of songs I end up with, so it's very interesting every year ๐Ÿ˜€

• @lvgd09 Jan 2018

Happy New Year everybody.

Well, every guitar I own needs strings and I'm broke (no money). Also, my skills with audio need a tune-up. Vocals are coming out flat right now and my song ideas are not very interesting. Something has got to give. I have a little time today and will try to fix some of this (practice).

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 2018

@brrrse almost..... hang in there!

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 2018

@tcelliott smash it out, you know you can do it, so do it. You rock.

Did you get a guitar yet?!

• @regis  Jan 2018

I should be moving into my new house in a couple weeks, so first I need to unpack and set up the studio. Than it's just a matter of convincing my wife, toddler, newborn, and dogs to give me half a shot at FAWMing. Piece of cake, right?

• @edwardsmusic Jan 2018

I don't think I'm much prepared, to be honest. The idea I really want to work on is a project with guest singers on each song, but I'm not sure how I'm going to complete all these songs in that amount of time.

• @nancyrost  Jan 2018

I'm organizing my space and equipment. I also bought a used stereo at a thrift shop so I could listen to more music. I set it up tonight and discovered five Willie Nelson CDs inside.

• @timfatchen  Jan 2018

I'm pressing the More Chaos button. It's just as well i have the brains of a starfish, it makes it easier to regenerate fingers.

• @cblack  Jan 2018

Been practicing keys a lot lately, with the hope that I can maybe put together a song or two of piano music. Actually been making some pretty good improvements on keys, which is awesome, and FAWM would definitely be the place to share my very first piano pieces, if I make any. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @oddbod  Jan 2018

Done โ€“
    paid my annual webspace fee
    cleaned up the hard drive

Still to do -
    spend hours choosing/editing that perfect homepage image only to ditch it on 1st Feb in favour of some random photo
    try to think of something vaguely interesting to write under โ€œInfluencesโ€ and โ€œShort Bioโ€

• @unkept Jan 2018

I'm preparing by being more active on Song Skirmish. It worked well for me last FAWM!

I'm pretty pumped about FAWM again this year.

• @shoehaze Jan 2018

Trying to iron out my creative process and simplify my setup. I've practised individual instruments so I can make 4-track songs interesting enough. Now I got some ideas from previous comments too: cleaning my room/studio and hard drives.

• @standup  Jan 2018

Studying the lead guitar playing of Bob Stinson... Actually, guitar lead bits are a weak spot for me, so I'm taking some lessons and trying to work on it. And actually, Bob Stinson's work with the Replacements was really good.

• @kovbleu  Jan 2018

So far I've just been thinking about how I should get preparing! LOL I need to clean my office/studio space out and my desk for sure.... it's a hot mess in there since I quit freelancing it's become a bit of a catch-all.

• @sandicove2015  Jan 2018

HI!!!! I am so appreciative of you all! We are doing the thing!!!!!!
    Last year I started about 7 songs and finished 3. FAWM has been the way I have written very seriously. Last year, I had to learn Garage Band from scratch with an audio interface! So much to learn know and do! I did not know how to make my recordings into mp3s to share by the last day of FEB!! I barely got a few finished, but I have been prepping for FAWM this year by continuing to write, record and post on soundcloud.com/sandiland, (slo but sure) and for this FEB. I am going to finish last years rough starts before FEB 1 and also start the 14 for this year and maybe get them to turn around quickly. I am clearing the decks and honing my writing/recording schedule to match the accomplishment I want to make. - Getting into the habit of working 2 hours on then recovery times then back again. The more we do the more we can do. And mostly want to do it all for the joy and sharing hoping my songs become yours a

• @sandicove2015  Jan 2018

And I know I wrote a lot for anyone to read! You have my apologies for the length. I will be more concise in FEB!!!!!!

• @tsunamidaily Jan 2018

i'm trying desperately to get my violin fixed so the top two strings will tune up to pitch without slipping. i had given it to a guy last year and it wasn't fixed. gave it back to him the other week, he "fixed" it and now it is back to slipping. he is stringing my autoharp as we speak, so i'm just going to ask if i need to take it to a music shop that specializes in band/orchestral instruments. i looked up the procedure on youtube and it basically involves putting some sort of gum on the peg to make it grip better, or actually roughening up the peg with some sandpaper, etc., so it has the texture to grip. but i'm not about to do it myself, so i'm thinking i need to move on after he tried twice. i have zero technique on the violin yet, but have some study books and a big old book of fiddle tunes for when i can do basic stuff. so i don't get to practice that this month-- bummer. i'm also getting the pickup in my ancient rickenbacher rewound, so i can use it next month. wish me luck!

• @brrrse  Jan 2018

As I was cleaning up the production space, I found a brand new set of D'Addario strings for my sweet Breedlove acoustic guitar - restrung it - and oh my goodness - I've been playing on the wrong strings my whole life. Maybe I will do some guitar this FAWM.

• @beat  Jan 2018

... Shakin' me head 'n wondering, why in all heavens sake?

• @beat  Jan 2018

@zecoop *]. No dust 'round ear...

• @beat  Jan 2018

@cts tape mash, like in the ol' family car... when ya screamed from the back seat - NO! - the other one... and?
    Did anyone listen?

• @beat  Jan 2018

@ustaknow *].

• @beat  Jan 2018

@mdavisto the other way round would've been more interesting...
    way more...

• @beat  Jan 2018

@adnama17 No

• @beat  Jan 2018

@sw1n3flu *].

• @bri4n  Jan 2018

Rushing through a music theory class on Udemy ๐Ÿ˜‰

• @bethi Jan 2018

Hey! First year fawmer here. I have a couple songs that a deadline might help me finish, but other than that I think I'll try and start blank slate and see what happens ๐Ÿ˜€

• @quork  Jan 2018

@bethi ,welcome and happy song writing! What genre/s are your songs? There are lots of opportunities to collaborate, if youโ€™re interested. And challenges to get the creative juices flowing, like โ€œwrite a song using just one chordโ€. Fun times ahead.

• @ayehahmur  Jan 2018

First time here too. I'm not planning on planning anything, just (like @bethi) going into it cold and hoping that the pressure of having to produce will make something happen. Every day.

• @adnama17  Jan 2018

@beat, yup! Things are so much more interesting when I just fly by the seat of your pants. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @andygetch  Jan 2018

the comment by @adnama17 reminds me of the seemingly annual 'planner or pantser' discussion on National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo). A writing 'planner' comes up with a plot framework, does world building, develops character sketches, writes an outline of varying detail, research on the details of the time(s) and place(s) where the story is set, and pretty much does anything except write the actual lines and dialouge that will be in the story. Whereas the 'pantser' starts cold, just flies by the seat of the pants, and may even start all over mid-month. For songwriting challenges either writing process or a combination of the two applies, at least generally.
    I'm the hybrid type with the aforementioned overall themes and list of titles. I end up not using most of it and my plans in the past have changed significantly. This year I have a main theme and several sub-themes with about 20 title ideas.

• @steviez  Jan 2018

Need to reclaim a lot of my studio space - Tabletop RPG crap takes up a LOT of room ๐Ÿ˜€ Also need to get out and tune up most of my instruments (including my DAW and my computer) and see if I remember how to play guitar! Warning my friends and family that I won't be around much in February.....Oh, and build up some callouses too - babysoft fingers don't get much done.

• @standup  Jan 2018

Pants. Definitely pants. And all this computer security flaw crap means I should probably update my OS now and see how much of my current software will actually run, and try to get things running well by February.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

It's funny, that while I usually "pants" NaNoWriMo, @andygetch, I usually have a well-articulated plan for FAWM. 50/90 I pants.

• @andygetch  Jan 2018

@metalfoot very interesting, must be related to some type of cycle hmmmm....

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 2018

Ordered new FAWM swag (I went freaking NUTS this year and re-bought the gray zip up hoodie AND the rock hands t-shirt). ๐Ÿ˜€

Also, recording music every day as much as I can to get my rock muscles in shape.

• @cblack  Jan 2018

@andygetch and @metalfoot I switch between pantsing and plotting, depending on my mood. With writing, I've hit a happy medium where I plot to some extent, and then I just "know" that I'm ready to start writing, and pants from there. (With varying amounts of plotting.)

Music? So far I've been pantsing 100%. I don't think my composition skills are high enough yet to plan ahead all that much.

• @johncrossman  Jan 2018

I prepare with my usual pre-fawm jitters, paralysis and transitory terror followed by pep talks and head clearing music I would normally avoid. Oh and tuning up my ears to hear some great new fawm music from you all.

• @brrrse  Jan 2018

I'm a plantser? 1st album of FAWM (there will probably be more than 2 this year - I got even MORE to say now) has lyrics and melodies with an idea of styles for each song. Taking it slower this year.

• @cairobraga Jan 2018

my fifth year, whoop whoop!

I'm cooking an album idea I had in late 2017 that I intend to do this FAWM, and still delaying the actual process of making the one I wrote in FAWM 2014...

but I've been mostly working on my temp day job, watching british panel and quiz TV shows like crazy, developing 8 radio show ideas, listening to Mecano's first album, listening to some music podcasts and watching TV while cuddling with the boyfriend.

Organizing studio. Writing songs. Making some templates. Checking cables.

• @kevinemmrich  Jan 2018

I believe that everyone, at least one time, owes it to themselves to come into FAWM with absolutely nothing! Having said that, I already have three potential ideas/chord progressions to try out on day 1. ... and having said that, I will probably do the day one skirmishes and forget all about those three starter tunes. I did get a looper (ditto x2) -- I don't know how that will fit it for fawm. Maybe I will video a song using the looper.

• @rayboneor  Jan 2018

I just remembered that my interface box doesn't work and that I haven't changed guitar strings since FAWM 2017 at best, so those would be good places to start. Maybe I can work up some calluses in the next two weeks, too

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 2018

@rayboneor sounds like a great plan!!! Good luck

• @zecoop  Jan 2018

@kevinemmrich - That's what I do every year... and I recommend it too. I actually have recorded snippets ahead of time in past years that I was going to use but I never end up going back to them. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @guatecoop  Jan 2018

I always go into Feb fresh. It scares the crap out of me every year, but it makes it really exciting. I've been organizing my recording things, trying to get Reaper working well on my new computer , and getting my instruments all ready to go. With the new computer, I somehow can't get my old plugins that I copied from my old computer to work on the new one...contemplating getting the everything bundle from Slate Audio for Feb to try it out....

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 2018

My to do list involved tidying up my space, making a better work surface as a stand in for the console desk I really want to make, finishing recording/mixing the NSIE band's single, and getting the honey-do list cleared as much as I can. Actual album planning, not so much. I have a loose general concept, but that rarely survives the opening days.

• @ignoreme Jan 2018

Doing what I can now to make sure I have enough spare time in February to write as much as I can!

• @scottlake  Jan 2018

setups all around for my guitars.

• @aeye Jan 2018

This is cool to see all the ways to get started. We've again sketched out our concept for the album and some track names. I think that helps in the long run since everything is mostly nailed down and we can just work on making the music sound like it should in the track titles.

• @beat  Jan 2018

Coming round here, reading, laughing, enjoying the days till feb one... Feeling good about feeling good. Just heard this Art Feyman track some days ago, it hits the ... whatever, just perfect for this time a year.

• @js6  Jan 2018

Stuff done:
    - I've been reading these forums
    - I updated my profile
    - Ordered FAWM merch and got the rock hands
    - I bought a notebook (it has lined paper A5 sheets (80 gsm) bound in hard cover, an inside pocket, a pen holder, an elasticated band to keep it shut and a bookmark ribbon)
    - Singing, screaming, shouting, basically making noise with my mouth and instruments almost everyday

Also, I've been writing a story which I'm looking forward to base my possible concept stuff on this FAWM.

Stuff to do:
    - Restring all the string instruments
    - clean up my workspace
    - create some Reaper templates
    - reassure my wife and kids that FAWM only lasts for 28 days

• @ianuarius  Jan 2018

Oh, I'm making up song names.

• @elesimo  Jan 2018

- Buy mic stand and boom support: done
    - Prepare template for my DAW (Ardour) with sends, master chain, drumkit: in progress
    - Warm up by making songs every week: in progress

• @radioovermoscow Jan 2018

As always, I'll start with a folder of ideas and riffs... then inevitably get drunk, throw it all out and write something really stupid that gets three times as many comments as anything else of mine.

• @websheldon  Jan 2018

Hmm I'm not preparing either... will just sit down on the day and see what comes out...

• @nuj4x Jan 2018

I don't have time to prepare! I just found this web site two days ago! I guess I will prepare by maybe trying to pick old songs I wrote that I thought sucked and try to maybe make them not suck during the FAWM event? ๐Ÿ˜ lol

• @moonshadow Jan 2018

I'm just drinking as much beer as i can, thats how im preparing

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 2018

Reading widely. Searching for the potentially performable within the pedestrian pap.

• @writeandwrong  Jan 2018

Been going thru all my music books and flipping through them; got my new FAWM shirt in the mail today because I accidentally spilled bleach on the one I got last FAWM. OOps! So YayyY! Thank you, FAWM Gods! Getting my mind warmed up and focused on hearing conversations and hearing/reading phrases, etc. for potential ideas (and of course, that requires a bit of Fireball....)

• @standup  Jan 2018

We're doing some painting today, getting something accomplished before the wall of no house work hits. Listening to pandora or Spotify or such, and Broadcast came up, great band. And this one song obviously had a lot of Velvet Underground influence.

So my next chapter of FAWM prep: get out the VU LPs (I've liked them for that long) and listen.

• @sapient  Jan 2018

I bought loads of guitar strings. I should be restringing guitars, but I'm actually in the pub. February will suddenly happen and I'm just going to roll with it...

• @tcelliott  Jan 2018

Uploading the final (I hope) tracks to bandcamp for my first solo release. *cheer*

• @kahlo2013  Jan 2018

Just trying to get work done for upcoming talks and deadlines and spend time with family so that when Feb rolls around I can spend time after work doing some FAWM!

• @kristian  Jan 2018

I donยดt even have a working studio or anything at the moment, so I guess my prep is getting everything up and running!

• @kries Jan 2018

I'm planning a few things that should make the composing easier come February.

For example, I'll be setting up a document with basic outlines for some songs, e.g. title, structure, expected length, tempo, suggestions for instrumentation, and all that jazz, combined with a short list of songs to draw inspiration from.

I'll also be setting up a template in the DAW, and I'll be spending a lot of time next week making pre-sets for synths, finding percussive samples, and then set apart a small selection of instruments that will make up the core of every song. Hopefully this ensures the album sounds somewhat consistent.

After that's done, I'll start practicing ๐Ÿ˜
    Oh, and I should clean my room, and maybe buy merchandise.

I'm very exited to get started ๐Ÿ˜€

I just bought a fresh pair of 5a drum sticks AND i git my new FAWM hoodie in the mail!

• @cheslain  Jan 2018

Got me a new computer and have started to compile my VST effect arsenal from scratch. Also made a rough template Reaper session although I'm not entirely sure what my instrumentation is going to be. Started writing down possible song ideas and potential titles in a little notebook.
    In January I've been watching Stranger Things and playing some Fallout New Vegas so I got this musical idea of a peculiar mixture of outlaw country and 80's synth sounds. Not sure if that will work out though.

• @darcistrutt  Jan 2018

I moved my laptop and mic to a spare bedroom today. Next week Iโ€™ll start tuning a few instruments. Iโ€™ve been doing some creative writing to get my connection to Ms. Muse. Beyond that Iโ€™m just hoping for time in February to create!

• @theseanovan Jan 2018

This is my first shot at FAWM. Lately I've been working on a few short ideas for a project with my friend, sharpening my writing and editing skills, and compiling a list of potential song titles and lyric ideas. I'm thinking I might dust off a book I bought last year, Beating Songwriter's Block, and going through some speed writing exercises to keep sharp come February 1st. I hope to get to 14, but we'll see.

• @quork  Jan 2018

@theseanovan
    Welcome and happy creating. There are lots of challenges (i.e. one chord song) and lots of opportunities for collaboration. Or you can focus on writing and demoing your songs. However you choose to participate itโ€™s a fun and supportive community. And at the end of the month the ultimate prize is the songs you came up with.

• @crisp1  Jan 2018

Last year was my first FAWM so I pantsed it but this year I've scribbled ideas for lyrics on little scraps of paper over the last few weeks. But as far as planning, I'm just planning to do my best with the ideas to turn them into lyrics that musicians will want. Whether they're turned into songs or not, when FAWM is over my wife will be so happy to have those scraps out of our apartment!

• @musicsongwriter Jan 2018

By reading what people are saying on forum.

• @hydlide Jan 2018

Reinstalled my computer yesterday so I have a clean Digital audio workstation to work with. Currently I am in the process of cleaning up my room so I can focus on making music.

• @ductapeguy  Jan 2018

Tidying studio, rallying local songwriters, entertaining buying another guitar, practicing, waiting...

• @izaakalexander Jan 2018

I'm taking four hours of beginning spanish language lessons each weekday. Just started my third week. And growing my right hand fingernails to perfection. A bit more plan than pants, but there's room to improvise.

• @ronniedean Jan 2018

I got nothin but a blank piece of paper in my head.
    I write well enough, but only have a decent subject idea once or twice a year and I just finished my last one I had to finish. I seriously think I'm likely out of my league and should probably bow out. I can't speed write anything worth looking at the next day.

• @fearlessflight2014  Jan 2018

I've got a new secondhand MacBook and I only realised today that I haven't opened Logic yet so I have hours of downloading sounds and loops ahead of me. I also need to set up the studio and sift through unfinished lyrics and audio memos for ideas to get me going. Maybe I'll treat myself to new strings on the tenor guitar!!

• @jamkar  Jan 2018

Reconfiguring Windows 10, (oh fun), while getting over the flu.

• @alboe Jan 2018

Last Thursday there was a heavey storm and some roof tiles came off. Because of the risk of leakage I had to pack up and cover all of my equipment and instruments with plastic bags, studio is of course in the attic.
    So there's not much preparing I can do at the moment until it gets repaired. And I don't know when that will be, was a huge storm so the repairman are very busy and can't give an estimate on when they will do our roof.

• @tsunamidaily Jan 2018

just got my autoharp and 30s rickenbacker lap steel back from the shop. my friend still has my fiddle, but i wasn't really expecting to use it this FAWM anyway. i am really contemplating trying to limit myself to chords on the autoharp when putting changes to stuff this year. i'll deviate if necessary, but i think it would be a hoot. i'm about to make a chart of the pertinent keys and put which degrees i have (I, ii, iii, IV, V7, etc.) of each key. i might just end up with my dreaded "30 songs in G"!

• @cblack  Jan 2018

Given that I'm going to at least *try* to record a metal song this FAWM (mostly doing electronica), I've been practicing my guitar and bass. Showing some improvements lately, actually, but I still get performance anxiety whenever I hit record...

• @timfatchen  Jan 2018

Panic and insomnia. That should work.

• @standup  Jan 2018

Swapping tubes and speakers around and may have broken an amp. I get a new rectifier tube tomorrow and weโ€™ll see how it goes.

• @tunecat  Jan 2018

Set up my mini studio (didn't have a space for over a year) . Did a trial song yesterday (https://soundcloud.com/honeymoonhill/...) for kicks. Listened to loads of bits of audio, and drum tracks I made on the iPhone/ipad (mostly using figure, but also thumb jam etc.. made a list of things I want to incorporate.. like using samples etc. ) I'n not sure whether I want to start by using previously written fragments /beats or have a clean slate. I have a couple of people who I can send tracks to for extra instruments.. but I bought a bass guitar and so I can pretty much do everything myself (though it comes out different if I do).
    Reading the forums ....getting ideas.

• @tunecat  Jan 2018

Set up my mini studio (didn't have a space for over a year) . Did a trial song yesterday (https://soundcloud.com/honeymoonhill/...) for kicks. Listened to loads of bits of audio, and drum tracks I made on the iPhone/ipad (mostly using figure, but also thumb jam etc.. made a list of things I want to incorporate.. like using samples etc. ) I'n not sure whether I want to start by using previously written fragments /beats or have a clean slate. I have a couple of people who I can send tracks to for extra instruments.. but I bought a bass guitar and so I can pretty much do everything myself (though it comes out different if I do).
    Reading the forums ....getting ideas.

• @tinattd  Jan 2018

Starting to hum fragments of fragments of things into my phone's voice memos, helpfully titled "new recording 173" "new recording 174" etc.

• @mom23gals  Jan 2018

@tsunamidaily The product you are looking for is called "peg dope" and is really very easy to acquire and apply. Try Hill's brand, it looks like chapstick. Just apply to each of the pegs that are sticking or slipping. And good luck with your violin learning!

• @aflinner  Jan 2018

In the past, I've resisted do anything until FAWM officially starts, felt like cheating. Last year, I wrote a couple songs just beforehand to build up some momentum and get the juices flowing. This year, I'm actually doing some prep work - if a line or two comes to me, I'll write it down, and I'm compiling a list of songs I want to write (themes, production styles, ideas). As a result, I already have about 25 songs fueled up so far with keys in the ignition.

Also, I just really started listening to Spotify, and it's introducing me to a lot of stuff - which is one of the parts of FAWM that I find so inspiring: hearing new and different music.

• @standup  Jan 2018

I didn't kill my tube amp. The new $12 rectifier tube seems to have rectified things. So now I'm moving furniture around in our practice space/studio, double checking the wiring, putting in a new patch bay. Just to keep things exciting.

• @alboe Jan 2018

Upgraded to Superior Drummer 3.
    Very nice, lots of new drumkits and the gui is a lot smoother.

• @jwhanberry  Jan 2018

No new toys but repairs to old toys. Most exciting, my '64 Fender Jaguar has all new switches and pots and a new pickguard that won't gas out and ruin them like the original did. I played it in a surf band in high school when we were both much newer. Major overhaul to '78 Marshall that died somewhere in 50/90. Found a great shop; Nashville Amplifier Service . Replaced the caps, new power tubes and made my Marshall great again. A new tube in my dead preamp brought it back to life. Now I'm going to put a new head on my Mother's banjo uke. Couple of computer tweaks, bring in some more firewood and I'm set.

• @honeybadgerfolk Jan 2018

We (@erinkelsey3 & @natrin) made a video about how we prepare for FAWM! https://youtu.be/aQ8b2sy3vZk

• @elesimo  Feb 2018

It's January 31st, 9pm where I'm at. Still 3 hours til midnight, and 4 more til FAWM officially starts. I just bought my last item in order to prepare for FAWM.

A bottle of champagne. For the 14th song.

• @dorit Feb 2018

Pretty much hating myself, feeling like I don't know enough to be doing this. But here goes again. If I even get one song out, and finish the recording in the studio that has been picked up, Ill be happy.
    I still don't know how and what to upload here. it is all mp3 or video too? I haven't found the right info yet.

• @gazebo Feb 2018

1) New guitar strings, new bass strings. - check!
    2) Set up track templates in Reaper - check!
    3) This morning have brainstormed 14 potential lyric ideas and 22 unrelated potential song titles.
    4) Getting EZ Drummer today.
    5) Got my Iphone fixed to record song ideas (and possibly try making some video - though that may be too ambitious!)
    6) That's it - no more excuses or procrastination.

• @reisupstudio  Feb 2018

Got thru the bills yesterday and ordered a FAWM sweatshirt!

• @inciteful  Feb 2018

Personally I have to work the first couple days of the month then drive across the country. So I expect to start slow and finish strong!

• @julesbf Feb 2018

@dorit don't hate yourself, it takes a little trial and error getting started, quite straight forward once you get the hangs of things. Format is up to you, soundcloud, bandcamp, youtube video whatever works best for your process. Lots of tips on the forums and just try to enjoy finding what works and how it affects your writing. Good luck.

• @the3queens  Feb 2018

prepare? what's prepare?!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...