A place to keep your song notes

Skip to the bottom

• @scottlake  Dec 2017

My friend Doug makes really cool notebooks with LP jackets as the covers. Several songwriterly types of pages are available. Last couple of FAWMs I have used mine to develop my lyrics and song structures. https://www.etsy.com/shop/LykaStore

• @jenniferjerboa Jan 2018

Cool idea!

• @andygetch  Jan 2018

A phone, for quick notes
    Typically use a small journal/writing pad and take with me through the month.
    (Sidenote, this thread would fit better in "Other Helpful Orgs and Sites" @ericdistad @jendistad)

• @tcelliott  Jan 2018

Some of those notebooks look great.

• @brrrse  Jan 2018

Oh, I want the Herb Alpert one..... Those are beautiful.

• @aflinner  Jan 2018

I prefer to write all my songs in one moleskine-esque hardback notebook (I use Piccadilly's, get 'em at Staples). When one fills up, I'll start a new one. There's a lot of empty space, but it also makes it easy to go back and finish one that I forgot I ever even started. I used to keep scraps of paper, piles of it, very counter-productive. I've been much better off keeping it all together.

• @aflinner  Jan 2018

A sweet LP styled one would be super cool though!

• @andygetch  Jan 2018

thanks mods!

• @gammafied Feb 2018

Evernote - it is not as romantic as a physical book, but during the day at work, I can type in lyrics and sing into the app in the same note. I can use that to keep track of collaborators, next steps, rough chords, and change formatting for stanzas.

• @yarimurray  Feb 2018

Trello. I like to take a project management approach. This allows several songs to be in development at any time and I can keep up with the "next action" for each. I can also copy and paste lyrics when uploading.

I do keep a Moleskine notebook handy though, as most of my ideas still start with the old fashioned act of putting pen to paper, although my Moleskine also uploads to Evermore with the camera app (for archival purposes).

Those LP notebooks do look cool though!

• @scottlake  Feb 2018

@yarimurray i used trello last year and my not yet finished album project is in trello. I also use google docs for collaboration. But during the year it’s my Big Country LP cover notebook from Doug!

• @scottlake  Feb 2018

Let’s see if I can show the big country notebook here By the way, here’s my totally 80’s cool Big Country album cover notebook https://flic.kr/p/CULntn

• @haim  Feb 2018

Very cool.

• @jorh Feb 2018

I made the mistake of making all mine in an notes app on my phone, don’t think they’re backed up tho and there’s lots to try move. Always get scared of my phone breaking eeekkk 😏

• @djohnson Feb 2018

@jorh - ah the old phone breaking when your memos aren't backed up. I used to have that fear. Then it happened and I lost them all. Nothing to worry about now...

(what system do you run? If you have an iPhone you can probably have them all backed up on iCloud?)

• @jorh Feb 2018

Oh no that must have been a killer! 😏 I have an iPhone but because they’re saved in an third party app and not in the iPhone notes section I’m not sure they’d just back up... might have to spend a day copying and pasting them all to iPhone notes haaha

• @jorh Feb 2018

@djohnson

• @andrewjtaylor  Feb 28

I use Google Docs and Google Drive, writing the chord chart up in a doc and then pasting a link to the demo in the doc. Since I have all of my digital world in Google Drive (I pay $10 a month for 1TB storage), it makes sense to keep it all in one ecosystem. However, I have dabbled in notes when away from the computer, and do typically take down my song ideas in Music Memos on my iPhone since that easily sync's to my mac files and shows up on the computer side. Unfortunately Music Memos is a really slow app in starting recordings, so I'm a bit frustrated with it. And the bass and drum additions are fairly worthless unless you've mic'd well and played perfectly in time. Can't trim freely, only at the ends. I've been thinking about using EverNote (since I pay for it anyway) and how keeping both within a single document could be a superior option. In typing this out though, I'm not so sure. I'll be trying it though. Thanks for sharing!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...