Buying new gear for FAWM?

Skip to the bottom

• @cblack  Dec 23

So, I've seen a few people mentioning new gear they've bought, and new gear they want to buy especially for FAWM, so I thought I'd make a thread about it.

What have you bought or are going to buy soon, music-wise?

For me, I bought the PoiZone plugin for FL Studio, and have been playing around with digital music. Now I'm researching MIDI controlling, and will hopefully buy a MIDI-to-USB cable to hook up my cheap keyboard to my laptop, and play my digital music, rather than just click my mouse a lot.

Your turn!

• @tsunamidaily Dec 23

no new instrument, but i'm getting my autoharp strung and might just try to write all my songs in february out of any chords on the autoharp. i'm also hoping my fiddle is working well enough to keep learning on it. maybe i can even record something with it during FAWM. it is my first attempt at learning bowing technique.

• @cblack  Dec 23

Ah, violins... I bought one, but hated putting the rosin on the bow, so never play it much.

And I just found another purchase I'm considering: Locking tuners for my guitar. I broke a string about an hour ago, and was quickly reminded of how much I hate restringing. So yeah... Even if I'm pretty certain I won't be recording guitar for FAWM (trying digital at the moment), locking tuners are definitely on my list. Because from what I've seen, locking tuners are super simple to restring. πŸ˜€

Unfortunately, I don't think Santa will bring me a set. 😝

• @brrrse  Dec 23

@tsunamidaily I hope you can record something with the autoharp. - hey, maybe we can host a autoharp challenge or something - WOOT.

• @cblack  Dec 24

Hmm... Got $100 for Christmas (so far, possibly total). I could order a set of locking tuners for my electric guitar. Or I could buy a quality MIDI-to-USB cable... Hmm... Must ponder.

• @brrrse  Dec 24

@cblack thank you - I forgot I needed a cable - πŸ˜€

• @cblack  Dec 25

You're welcome!

I'll add another thing to my shopping list, though it's less likely to happen before FAWM: An EQ pedal. Given that I probably won't be playing guitar during FAWM this year, yeah, it's definitely lower on the list.

• @metalfoot  Dec 25

I need to tune up the autoharp before FAWM as well. Thanks for the reminder!

• @brrrse  Dec 25

Okay, that's three of us - @cblack @metalfoot and me - who have autoharps - I know there are others. So, look for an autoharp group this year.

• @cblack  Dec 26

@brrrse Erm, nope, not me. I think you meant @tsunamidaily . πŸ˜€

• @cblack  Dec 26

Hmm... In a quandary right now. There's a sale on at a music store website, where I can get 25% off. So I could get a MIDI-to-USB cable cheaper. Unfortunately, I'd then have to pay shipping, so the saving wouldn't be all that much.

The other option is to wait 'til my local music store opens again after Christmas, and see if they have something in stock. That way, I'm supporting my local and also not paying shipping.

The sale is, as far as I know, today only. So I need to make a decision today. Except my local is closed today. Ack!

• @metalfoot  Dec 26

When in doubt, I usually go with the local store. But that's just me.

• @cblack  Dec 26

Yeah, me too. Unless the local simply doesn't have what I'm after. The local is a small-ish store, whereas the one in the city is easily 3 times the size, and is a chain store with a huge warehouse somewhere interstate.

My bass for instance - my local didn't have a very big selection, whereas the chain store had 1 that really spoke to me. And if I buy a drum kit again, it'll be from the big store in the city, because my local simply doesn't have room for more than 2 kits.

But yeah - everything else, I try to buy from my local. Not least because they've answered probably close to 100 of my random musical questions over the years, and never seemed to mind or pressure me into buying something. Gotta respect that. πŸ˜€

• @w1n  Dec 26

Planning to upgrade my DAW Ableton Live to the newest version, some nice new features and a wavetable synth that seem interesting. Might also buy some new effect pedals, need a new delay that is a bit more trustworthy then my current one, and I'm drooling over the Boss and JHS overdrive collab pedal.

• @tcelliott  Dec 27

Looking for a damned good acoustic guitar. Budget around 850 US. Looking at almost nothing but used guitars (more bang for the buck.) I've found a martin I like, lower end, but it looks like the used price is more than I can get it from the box stores new. A bit older and made in America so it's not the exact same guitar....

• @kraftec Dec 27

I got a new amp (Peavey VK112) last month and hopefully a new guitar tomorrow. I've also started downloading some new vst's and see if I can get some new sounds.

• @ickabodsane  Dec 27

I bought and Akai MPK mini 2. It means I will be able to do more than electric ukulele this year. I haven't written any music since 2016 so I am rusty 😁

• @cblack  Dec 28

@kraftec Nice! I love me a good Peavey. πŸ˜€

• @ruiguo Dec 28

I sucked it up and ordered a Roland TD4-KP. It's a folding portable drum kit. I used to have a really nice V-Drum at home but now that's my main kit I use with my band so it's in the rehearsal place, not home. I needed this for practice anyway, but I thought that I'd try using this practice kit to compose on, in addition to my bass and guitar.

• @ruiguo Dec 28

Sorry. I accidentally posted the same thing twice. No idea how I did that nor how to delete a post. Sorry, I'm old.

• @johnstaples  Dec 28

Upgraded my Ozone to Ozone 8 Advanced and also bought Neutron 2 Advanced plus I bought Vocal Synth today! This will allow me to get closer to finished, faster! Could an album finally be in my future???

• @cblack  Dec 28

@ruiguo Colour me jealous! I don't have room for a kit, not even a foldable e-kit. 😞

@johnstaples Synths for the win! 😁

• @cblack  Dec 28

Actually, I'm hoping to quit nicotine in the new year, and if that's successful, I might treat myself to an instrument mic. That way I can record my guitars a bit better... Might try some recording for FAWM, even if my main focus is electronica.

I want a Shure SM57, as they're the more affordable instrument mics that have a stellar reputation, but I don't think my local sells them anymore... Will have to do some hunting.

So, my list has now become:

MIDI-to-USB cable first;
    SM57 second;
    Locking tuners for my electric guitar third;
    and possibly an EQ pedal if I can save quickly enough (though EQ can be done in my DAW anyway, which is why this is last on my current list).

It'll take a fair chunk of money, but damn it, I want to treat music like a professional, and that means spending money up front, y'know?

• @cblack  Dec 28

Ooooh! Just found a bundle deal on the SM57 plus an XLR cable plus a boom mic stand, for 99 pounds British. That apparently equates to about $170 Australian. In comparison, the chain store in my city has just the SM57 on its own for $249!

All hail Andertons! I know where I'll be buying the SM57, if I do buy one. πŸ˜€

• @brrrse  Dec 28

Thank you for this thread. I just ordered that midi to usb cable I've been needing forever.

• @barrygoldman  Dec 28

I got a classical acoustic recently, so I hope to make some good tunes using that.

• @cblack  Dec 29

@brrrse Ha! Mission accomplished, I suppose. 😝 Hopefully I'll be buying my own MIDI-to-USB cable soon, too. πŸ˜€

@barrygoldman Nice! Looking forward to hearing it. πŸ˜€

• @pfoo  Dec 29

@ruiguo I bought a used TD4-KP a few months ago. I've been happy with it except the high hat seems a bit fussy - doesn't always seem to register my playing. My plan is to use it for practicing and for creating demos. We have an acoustic kit in the basement which is great for practicing, but a pain to mike and record. I'm hoping for FAWM I can use the electronic kit instead of programming MIDI drum parts by hand.

Other than that, I need a new audio interface that has more than two inputs. Currently researching....

• @kraftec Dec 29

New guitar acquired, a really nice Godin Redline 3 reduced from like €800 to €100 because there's a scratch on it and the volume knob is missing.

• @cblack  Dec 29

@pfoo Ah, I hear you on the interface issues... I bought a Focusrite Scarlet Solo, which works well, but I then realised that for a little extra money I could've gotten the 2i2, which would let me use 2 mics or 2 leads at once, rather than 1 of each on the Solo... *sigh* Oh well. I don't need a lot of inputs at this point. It's just one of those, "Oh, I should've done this instead!" moments.

@kraftec Awesome! I wouldn't be bothered with a scratch, and the volume knob can easily be replaced. Great deal!

For me, I'm considering selling my bass amp, busking amp and an effects pedal. The bass amp sucks (I get a better bass tone on my guitar amp, strangely enough), I had too much stage fright to make busking viable in the end, and I now have a better distortion pedal so don't need the old one. I could probably get $400 total on them second-hand, which is pretty much what it would cost me to get the MIDI cable, the SM57 + XLR cable + stand pack, *and* locking tuners.

Going to mull it over

• @cblack  Dec 29

And turns out the postage for the SM57 pack is ridiculous. However, the SM57 on its own from Andertons is about $60 Australian *less* than the pack (seriously, the boom mic stand in the pack added on sooooo much shipping!). Now, I already have a boom mic stand, and I can buy an XLR cable locally for less than $20.

So yes... If I do buy an SM57, it'll be individually from Andertons. Still way cheaper than buying one from the local chain store!

• @tcelliott  Dec 29

See if the local store will price match the on line price and shipping total. I've had some small success with that here in the states.

• @js6  Dec 29

Oh yes! I ordered a midi controller keyboard whatever thingy, Alesis V25. I have used my computer keyboard to play MIDI intruments or simply painting the blocks with my mouse to the piano roll, so I'm quite excited to take this to the next level πŸ˜€

• @cblack  Dec 30

@js6 Mwuahahaha! Feel the MIDI revolution! 😁 (Seriously though, I'm very much looking forward to using my actual keyboard to control some plugins. πŸ˜€)

@tcelliott If it was my actual local store, I would see if they could price match. However, it's the Australian chain store that I feel no real loyalty towards that has the SM57. Strangely enough, I'd rather buy something from Andertons, due to the YouTube love. πŸ˜€ Even if it means waiting a while for it to arrive...

• @cblack  Dec 30

I know this is small fry in this thread, but I need to buy some replacement strings for my guitar. The 9 gauge, actually. The one that breaks the most often... *sigh*

I broke it just after Christmas, and haven't had a chance to get to the music store since then. So my poor electric guitar is disfigured and waiting. If I be really quiet, I can almost hear it wailing...

Soon, guitar, soon! *chokes back a sob*

• @brrrse  Dec 30

@cblack from the BGV risers ... "While his guitar gently weeps......"

• @ustaknow Dec 30

That Trio Pedal folks were talking about... shipped, supposed to arrive any day.

Anyone got one and can rave about, or suggest-isms... I read no negative review anywhere. I hope it is as commented. Wow... aye, bass and drums... dynamically Ai applied. Any negatives at all? I wish it split the signal so I could DAW it and have me one side, and "it" the other L/C/R ... but, eh not bad if is what it is at $49 shp incldd

• @metalfoot  Dec 30

I bought a connector today for $1.25 so I can connect the audio output from my 8-bit computers to audio input for the sake of possibly using 8bit synth sound here or there. We'll see. The price isn't going to break my personal finances, at any rate!

• @charliecheney  Dec 30

I have a line on a $25 Alesis i02 recording interface, here's hoping on that. Congrats @kraftec on that Godin, holy cow that sounds like a great find.

• @standup  Dec 30

I guess with the Trio pedal you could put a DI box before it and send the un-accompanied guitar to one channel, and the Trio signal to another channel? Or if you have other pedals with stereo outs, send one side to the Trio and the other side to the recorder? Seems like there might be a couple of workarounds.

• @standup  Dec 30

I don't think there's anything I need, which is unusual. I guess I pick stuff up as needed through the year, and FAWM is not giving me any new urges.

• @cblack  Dec 30

@ustaknow I'll second what @standup said about using a DI box. That should work. πŸ˜€

Oh, and @standup I usually buy myself something nice for my birthday, and sometimes for Christmas. After that, my main music shopping period seems to be FAWM. πŸ˜€ Like, this year I bought myself an acoustic guitar as a birthday present. Nothing for Christmas yet, though I think the money I got for Christmas will go towards that MIDI-to-USB cable, for sure.

• @ustaknow Dec 30

Hey @standup @cblack --great idea.

It just arrived, still in cold box.... waiting to warm up prior to opening since elec and don't want condensation w/temp change when I start it up.

So, I can run the drum/bass only once Ai'd and then the guitar separately. I like that idea anyway for stereo if only can just diminish the guitar, --I remember the demo video it had dials, so I guess I can dial up/mix the bass/drums and over power the guitar, then run that center in mix. Well, I'll find out, but, anyway, great idea. I love the simple ones that solve "wants" for use.

-- Thank you for commenting!

• @ustaknow Dec 31

Sweetwater gives you a bag of candy with you order 😝 --yes. More holiday sugar! It will make me a better songwriter to, to, to, to ...to much sugar πŸ˜€

• @izaakalexander Dec 31

Strings. I've got to restring my mandolin. Everything else has been sadly packed up and stored for my move to Catalunya. I might buy something when I get there but I'm not sure. It all has to be kept simple and portable.

• @tootoobee  Dec 31

@ustaknow I also got the Trio as a new gear πŸ˜€ so your question did interest me as well. The manual says if you use (on the "out" side) both the AMP and the MIXER Trio will send the guitar only to the AMP and the drums/bass to MIXER. Haven't tried it yet though...
    If that does not work and I need to use one of those DI boxes (I'm new to these), do I need an active or passive one?

Besides that (since I still suck at playing guitar and will need more editing in the DAW there πŸ˜‰ ), I've been thinking of 1. figure out a song with the Trio, then 2. first record bass/drums on one track in the DAW and the record guitar to it on a separate track. Maybe also split drums and bass separately just using the volume on the Trio, so you can put them in different places in the mix.

• @ustaknow Dec 31

Hey @tootoobee I just now started to experiment. Came here during a break. Thanks for the tip, --yeah forgot the "manual" is online...gotta get that. If that's true, I'm good. I was thinking, seeing in hand how it works, I could just let the Track Run then overdub. But, heck, I'd rather avoid the step.

By DI active...your question, --eh I know equipment but everyone's got their own lingo. For me, active pertains to Phantom Power, or it's powered, not passive (no power, or power for a Mic).

For me, my Digital Interface to the Computer runs to a Mixing board. I'd patch through that and leave my two "Mic" connection type cables as is. I think most Digital Interface Boxes to the Computer are powered and mine is via the USB port itself. See... lots of lingo, and potential for confusion. If your set up already to a PC/DAW, you're likely using a "DI" and is "Active" πŸ˜€ hahhh... geese, right, I know!

Anyway, the Trio, --looks like it takes a bit of use, to use it. I have a heavy right hand, syncopated... gonna have to simply modulate sans rhythm-ish-ness. Also, --DO have to end on down stroke and remember your "progression" 😝 hahhh... but, liking it. Actually it's like my VOX mini... but the Trio is in Key and much more variable. So, glad for it. Hope I get the hang of it... I'm such a minimalist really. Could wind up another music pantry ornament πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Dec 31

Hey @tootoobee -- post how you make out. It's a busy weekend. I will too. But, likely next week. I like your idea of even isolating the Bass... wow, they should have just made it a triple patch out πŸ˜€ hahhh! But, anyway, the dual use of "out" to Mix and Amp, makes sense.

The prepurchase video demo only spoke of if used one at a time, not both simultaneously!

This for me is only good for home songwriting... I used to drag all this "krappe" to a venue and just hated it. When I saw I got the same good results and reaction with just guitar and mouth, I got spoiled. Carrying one acoustic guitar is nice and light, and they always have a PA πŸ˜€

But, for song-drafts ... I think this will inspire. I wound up just jamming, running my neck on electric tonight for an hour... and got some nice riffs. Sometimes, that's how I find song "fragments" to then develop.

• @ustaknow Dec 31

Oh, @tootoobee ... woke up and grabbed the acoustic next to me, no, not up all night playing... any way... Hahhh, I only Mic my acoustic and happened to have the Vol down on this one and was only hearing the Bass and Drums... wondered what happened. --Turn it down and Mic it anyway, hahhhh.... very simple, almost "embarrassingly" so solution/option.

Ahh new gear --like giving a coconut to a monkey and ask'em to open it πŸ˜‰ Fun to watch!

• @scottlake  Dec 31

Addictive Drums or EZDrummer for me. Need to decide soon

• @ruiguo Jan 1

@pfoo The TD4-KP came today and it looked hilarious in the spot where my TD30-KV used to sit, hahaha. But whatever. I didn't expect it to be the same thing. It was cheaper by a factor of....well, a lot. I messed with it all day today and it wasn't until ust now that I read your comments. You bought yours used. That may have something to do with it, but I was well impressed with how well the hi hat responded to my playing, considering the configuration. Anyway, I tried FAWM once years ago and didn't get anywhere with it so I'm going bare bones this time. I want to use the kit to compose on, and I'm not going to bother making demos at all. That was my downfall last time - I wanted to post demos and this time I want to write songs. The rules state that all you really have to post is song titles, and be on our honor that we actually wrote the songs. I need those songs. So if I don't get any more than titles posted then so be it. I want to finish the challenge, by God!

• @ruiguo Jan 1

@cblack I should be embarrassed to admit that it took me this long to get a practice kit at home. I'm a drummer, for f***'s sake, and my V-Drum left my home to be my main gig kit back in June last year. The folding portable kit arrived today. I practiced at home for the first time in HALF A YEAR.

• @tcelliott  Jan 1

Just got the trio from sweetwater at just under 50 bucks. Was debating on the footswitch but it's out of stock anyway. I'll play with it and if it becomes a tool instead of a toy then I'll probably spring for the footswitch if it stays on sale.

• @pfoo  Jan 1

@ruiguo My kit is currently folded up in a corner - it's amazing how small it packs down. It's perfect for my home office / recording area. I want to use it for FAWM to record some "normal" sounding drums, but also trigger non-drum sounds from the MIDI output. Maybe birds chirping or weird stuff, but I'll see how well that works out. I understand what you are saying about the demos, but I would be curious to hear what you do if you end up recording anything.

Oh - almost forgot! My husband put together a small pedal board for me to use with my guitar. It's new for me for FAWM! It has two delays and a reverb pedal for creating lush, ambient types of sounds.

• @cblack  Jan 2

@ruiguo Heh. Yeah, I'd love a drum kit. Even an e-kit that can fold up would be too bulky for my current situation, though, sadly.

@pfoo Pedalboards are awesome. πŸ˜€ If my amp didn't have a bunch of effects built into it, my pedal collection would be much bigger. πŸ˜‰

For me, I rang my local music store today, and it turns out they don't have the strings I need right now. *sigh* I was going to pick up some spare strings and a MIDI cable today, but there goes that idea. And I'm working tomorrow, family stuff on Thursday, and working again on Friday... So it looks like the weekend will be my next chance to get the gear I want...

• @cblack  Jan 2

Ack! I'm getting mildly bored of my synth plugins already. Now considering buying the basic package of Nexus, which is on sale for $199 US. $50 savings. But Australian, that's still about $255. Which I can't afford right now... *sigh*

I know I was already looking at a MIDI-to-USB cable, an SM57 and some locking tuners, but I suspect Nexus would be more useful in the immediate future than any of those things.

I don't know... Maybe the MIDI cable would break me out of the "usual" patterns when it comes to songwriting... Like, rather than just clicking my mouse, I could play a synth. Maybe that would reinvigorate my playing.

Nexus is very tempting, though! If only I had the funds...

• @cblack  Jan 2

Eh, you know what? If I can get a MIDI setup working, that should add enough variety to my synths. Because rather than just punching in the beats that make sense, I'll be able to play instinctively. And I mean, the other factor is that Nexus doesn't actually sound all that different from my current plugins... Somewhat different, maybe a little more professional, but still the same general types of sounds.

So yes. I think MIDI is the answer right now. πŸ˜€ And as a bonus, I can get a MIDI-to-USB cable for about $50, whereas Nexus is like $255.

• @ustaknow Jan 2

https://digitech.com/en/products/trio...

-- I forgot the Manual for the Trio was on-line.

Yes, --if both outputs are used the signal is split -- guitar to amp; Bass/Drums to Mixer. (I have not tried it yet, but, I presume it won't know if that's an amp, or rather another Mixer input πŸ˜€ -- if can record in Stereo, derUgo πŸ˜€ )

Also, as I found that, if you have an acoustic you plug in and Mic, --just turn the Vol down/off after the Pedal is set (more of a live situation if useful?, --using two amps).

• @ampersandman  Jan 3

I haven't exactly bought it for FAWM, but I own a new Ebow now.

• @cblack  Jan 3

@ampersandman I'm curious... Can an ebow be used on an actual violin or viola or whatever? Or is it just for guitars? All the videos I've seen online have the ebow being used with a guitar. Honestly, though, if I could use it on my violin, I'd do so in a heartbeat. Saves applying rosin to the bow...

• @ampersandman  Jan 3

@cblack The Ebow is a gimmick designed for guitar. I use it for producing feedback and violin-/flute-like tones. I'm not even sure it will produce sound on a violin and it's not practical to play (you rest it on the strings, but a violin bridge is arc-shaped). And why should you when you can have a real bow? I'm sure traditional bowing on a violin will give you much greater control and thus more expression.

• @cblack  Jan 3

@ampersandman Ah, yes, a real bow is certainly more functional. It's just me being lazy and impatient, really... Applying the rosin to the bow takes too long and I'm not very good at it. Which means I've only played my violin maybe 3 times since buying it. In 2016, as far as I can recall.

I really wish there was a non-rosin option available... I mean, surely there's some sort of man-made material that could provide the necessary friction to play the strings without damaging them or the man-made material. But I can't seem to find any such thing. *sigh*

• @elliottlawrence Jan 3

I just bought a Rode microphone. I've been singing along to my piano music for a while now but have never recorded my voice. I figured I might as well just take a risk and try out singing for a change, so we'll see how that goes!

• @vomvorton  Jan 3

I started using Ableton Live while making a synthpop album last November, so I'm still figuring that out. I feel like I'll probably be tempted with some new gear for FAWM but I haven't figured out what it will be yet. MAYBE a new electric guitar. Maybe.

• @zecoop  Jan 3

I changed from n-Track to Reaper this year due to some glitches that killed a couple songs last year, so I'll have a bit of a learning curve to be able to do some of the things that I did before.

As far as gear, I get things as I find them, if I find them cheap and they are things I wanted to try anyway... There were a few new/old items this year that I am looking forward to using. I picked up a Yamaha DX21, which should give me some fun retro synth sounds. Should be a nice slightly higher end addition to the MANY lo-fi 80's Casio and Yamaha keyboards I have collected. That's always a fun sound to mix in and make modern.

I also use almost all PodXT for my FAWM guitar and bass recording, just because I can get a million sounds and the house doesn't hear it. But... I found a few amps on Craigslist for really cheap, so I'll hopefully be recording some 'live' guitar this year. I got a 1950's Silvertone 1331 tube amp that is very much like an old Fender Champ. I also found a 1970 Traynor YGM-3 Tremolo/Reverb tube amp that was in nearly mint condition. I am super excited about both of those. Sorry Mrs ZeCoop... It might be louder this year. :

• @ustaknow Jan 3

Hey @zecoop -- always liked your band, lead singer, etc. ...... anyway, -- those units will fit nice in your sound! That 5F1 base circuit can power a half stack at 5W.

For me the Rectifier Tube which the ST should still have, (well the Silvertone for sure) not Diode, are the special part for me, --the sag once hot, with about #6 on Vol -- is nice. (Nicely effected too). (But, yes, louder than some realise if jamming a while πŸ˜€ )

Anyway, -- *just say'in ... nice additions, real nice!

[To much for writing, but, --I keep a Bassman 100 next to me and a Peavey Butcher πŸ˜€ for fun around, --love the Sunn Concert series too, I keep them the floor below and use the house as a Leslie Cabinet 😝 Hahhh, music, just love it!...
    ]

• @tootoobee  Jan 3

@ustaknow just plugged the cables of AMP exit and mixer exit into two inputs of my interface and it nicely separates (acoustic) guitar and "band" on two tracks in my DAW πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Jan 3

@tootoobee -- 😝 we need to help them market that thing!

I look forward to all your great work 2018. (Me, it'll just be my usual "krappe"... but now it may have D/B behind it πŸ˜‰ hahhh)

=======================
    Other, just runn'in on a bit... :
    Hey, --like your stuff. I have family in the Salzburg area and across the border, Baden-ish area, pending how you define it. But they refuse to speak in any other than English to me πŸ˜‰ hahhh... so, relegated to translate.google... anyway,
    --I do wonder about song modulation, elements in "German"... meaning
    ---- I appreciate that you do that stuff; not lost here I don't think, --not on me.

I look forward to your Uke and Deutsch! You must speak English very well. I saw a person speaking/writing perfect English the other day from another country, and some "American" πŸ˜‰ (not me)... just didn't get that not everyone speaks English as a first language, nor "American" πŸ˜‰ . Or like many in my family 5 languages + ... and that explains my infamous, so derUgo, Uno! 😝 stuff... All in "Germany", Ukraine, India, "Canada" even, hahhh, ... "get me". (Yes, I've got family "everywhere')

Ok, I'm done! πŸ˜€

• @tootoobee  Jan 3

@ustaknow lucky you, lot's of interesting places to go to when visiting your family πŸ˜‰, mine is (mostly) in Germany... I need English for work as well but then ... there are dictionaries πŸ˜‰ I use them a lot when writing in English. When I started songwriting (at least all the online classes to get some background) I thought the worst thing that might happen that my English get's a bit better πŸ˜€
    I find it more difficult to write songs in German, it often sounds too cheesy (or maybe I simply don't notice that in English πŸ˜‰ ) But I haven't given up on it yet.

• @cblack  Jan 4

@elliottlawrence Oh, vocals... Definitely not my strong suit. Good luck to you and me! I still struggle with figuring out how vocals will fit in among a song.

@vomvorton Do it! Buy the new electric guitar! As an unashamed gear lover, it'd make me vicariously happy to hear people playing new gear this FAWM. 😁

@zecoop Ah! Recording amps... I always find I struggle to record amps, because of stage fright or general anxiety or something... Like, hitting that record button makes me freeze up. *sigh* But looking forward to hearing your amps! 😁

@ustaknow Nice amps! Also, German! Some of my favourite dark electro music is in German. Check out Eisenfunk and Centhron. (Though the latter is NSFW.)

@tootoobee That's an interesting point, actually... Like, you might become self-conscious about certain things that you write in your native language, but not in a second language. At this point, I'm not doing lyrics. But I do speak a tiny amount of Italian, and when I'm singing along at home, yes

• @cblack  Jan 4

I am less self-conscious about the actual words. It's an interesting idea, really... Perhaps I should write lyrics in Italian?

• @cblack  Jan 4

On my end, I'm still (im)patiently waiting to buy my MIDI-to-USB cable. Basically, I'm waiting 'til my local store has some 9-gauge strings in stock, so I can buy some new strings at the same time. Otherwise it'll mean going to the store twice, which is a bit of a schlep. (I travel by public transport...) So yeah. Hopefully on Saturday or Monday I'll be picking up my MIDI cable and 9-gauge strings. πŸ˜€

• @sw1n3flu  Jan 4

Aiming to buy nothing this year. Have a room full of gear and some idea...

• @kovbleu  Jan 4

I got my first ukulele to use for FAWM this year. Mostly because I'll be traveling during part of the month but I am going to bring it with me so I can still write! A couple new mic stands, cables, things like that. πŸ˜€

• @tiller2  Jan 4

I just ordered my first quality pair of studio headphones--more to aid in recording and mixing than with songwriting, but related! A good deal on an open-box pair of Shure SRH840s for $135 from Sweetwater.

• @spinhead  Jan 4

I just ordered a dozen Dunlop Gator Grip .71 purple picks. Set me back $3.50 but I got free shipping.

• @cblack  Jan 5

@sw1n3flu Mmm, I'm pretty sure I won't be buying anywhere near as much as I want to... Damn you, money!

@kovbleu I need to get a ukulele at some point. I see so many FAWMers happy with theirs...

@tiller2 It definitely still counts! Anything that helps you make the best music you can. πŸ˜€

@spinhead Oooh, big spender. 😝 I bought a big pack of picks last year, and am still working my way through them. Though I think I spent more like $10 on them. Ack!

• @chipwithrow  Jan 5

I'm glad to see so many rock hands here among those who are getting new gear. My thinking is: if you can afford new musical gadgets, you can afford to donate for your rock hand.
    I got a ukulele for Christmas - an unexpected surprise. And I'll restring my guitar - first time in well over a year.
    Right before 50/90, I bought a new computer mic but returned it because the old duct-taped one worked better. So I'll keep using the old one. I might need to buy more duct tape.

• @ustaknow Jan 5

Hey @cblack -- nice recommend. -- ja, das ist seht gut... made me want to break out my old Welding Gear and play Pong while welding and strum my Les Paul 😝 while the Butcher screamed at me.

• @spinhead  Jan 5

@cblack You can get a uke for $20 and put new Aquila nylgut strings on it and be happy. A cheap Kala or their even less expensive off brand will work. I love love my Luna tattoo pineapple soprano, but you don't have to go all nuts to get a uke. Austin Nicholsen of Leftover Cuties told me he likes the cheapest uke he can find. Since they've made their name around uke-based music, I'm thinking yeah maybe. My little one's cheap uke (a gift from the lovely and talented @debs) sounds fine, it just doesn't stay in tune very well.

• @cblack  Jan 5

@chipwithrow Y'know, I hadn't considered the amount of rock hands yet. I know I donated last year for the fact that I could host my songs on FAWM, rather than donating. This year I'm probably going to open a SoundCloud account, but will likely still donate and host my songs on FAWM. I mean, I want SoundCloud to reflect my best music, not every single draft I come up with. And it's an added bonus that buying the right to host my songs here helps keep FAWM running year after year. πŸ˜€

@ustaknow Heh. 😝

@spinhead I'll have to look into cheap ukes, I think. Or else just try some of them out when I next go to my local music store. However, I have a list of possible purchases that is growing by the day, so I can't guarantee buying one... Especially as I don't have a decent mic to record the uke with!

• @metalfoot  Jan 6

I might have bought a cheap uke for $15 new; came with instruction book and CD. It's actually a better uke than the one I already had, so that's a win.

• @cblack  Jan 6

@metalfoot My local store has a lot of ukes for sale, but they start at around the $120 mark. So yeah... Not going there at this point. That money could be spent on something else more immediately useful to me.

Speaking of spending money... The 1 thing I have bought lately, the PoiZone plugin? I just realised that I didn't actually need it. Basically, I didn't know where to look in Sytrus to find all the available presets. (Hint: There are 2 arrows on the header - right click. Found that out on a random YouTube video about using MIDI in FL Studio...) Anyway, I've just sampled the Sytrus presets and damn, they're really good! Many of which are similar enough to PoiZone that I didn't need to spend the money. Because yeah - Sytrus is free with FL Studio. Ack!

• @ianuarius  Jan 7

Actually, I built a new PC. That's gear, right?

https://imgur.com/a/NpBvz

- Core i7-8700K
    - NZXT S340 Elite
    - Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming
    - Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB
    - Seasonic Focus+ 650W 85+ GOLD
    - be quiet! Pure Rock

• @tiller2  Jan 7

I received a reverb pedal as a present. It adds a new dimension to my little Fender "Silverface" Champ Amplifier.

• @cblack  Jan 8

@ianuarius Hell yeah, building a new PC counts! I'd love to build a music PC, but that's really not on the cards right now. (I'm still going back and forth on whether I should buy a $50 MIDI cable. A $1500 PC is just not happening right now.)

@tiller2 Reverb is awesome! And yes, definitely adds another dimension to your sounds. πŸ˜€

• @monty  Jan 9

I bought an upgrade for Band-in-a-Box/Realtracks LOL. I consider that gear.

• @cblack  Jan 9

@monty Never heard of those, but they sound musical, so I'm going to say it counts. 😝

• @andygetch  Jan 10

Taylor acoustic GS mini-bass

• @brrrse  Jan 10

@monty right on! that is OUR gear! digital instruments are still instruments and require some ability to play! πŸ˜€

• @ustaknow Jan 11

@andygetch -- that's a nice piece of gear! And, that is standard pitch tuning? I have a unit of that scale and it is, nice and tight. The strings on mine, with a solid body are a tighter wire core, so tunes up nicely, no floppy-ness. String spec makes a difference. I have a few 30in scale Basses which with certain brands were floppy and hard to tune 😝 , almost like tuning a 5 string, pending how you tune it, you just have to go up the Neck to get the tuner to register.

I didn't know Taylor did a mini like that.

So, how is it? I see it has bronze strings too, so it will be nicely bright, I'll bet. Did you get a nice used one, or went new?

I didn't know you did Bass. I guess you could play it as a Bass Uke too πŸ˜€ hahhh.

• @andygetch  Jan 11

@ustaknow yes the mini was new last year, so new was all there was. It came with strings especially made for the Taylor model. I like it. My grandson has a Squier Bronco bass also with 30" scale that I have added to a few songs.
    Unfortunately I play ukelele, bass, mandolin, and banjo like I play guitar. Probably breaking some rules there too LOL. I have done a few bass tracks when multi-tracking, which is something I don't do a lot of these days. I did a song in 5090 with one-track vocal and bass. Probably will again this FAWM.

• @quork  Jan 11

A new Eastman mandolin, and various IOS apps, including iSymphonic and Heavy Brass. I really want to work in a horn section.

• @cblack  Jan 11

@andygetch Acoustic bass? Awesome! I've never played one of those before. Maybe when I win the lottery? 😝

@quork Nice to see some less-common things popping up. πŸ˜€

• @andygetch  Jan 11

@cblack while electric (and cheaper used) are always options, I love the earthier tone of the acoustic. Hope you win the musical instrument lottery πŸ˜€

• @standup  Jan 11

Oh, I bought a couple more Moleskine notebooks. That's my new gear for FAWM.

• @ustaknow Jan 11

@andygetch --while full scale bass has it's nicities, a 30in-isher or so, is so nice. One of my favorites, piled in with many "gentry" cousins, is my SX Fretless P-Bass 30in scale... I think was a C-note or le$$. (Not made anymore, but can't figure why.)

All I did was put in some "hotter" pups, --but of no fault to the stock ones at all. (Could've just left them in. SX P-90 pup's, as e.g., ones I have are old school, nice.)

Anyway -- hmmm, no, I can't add another! πŸ˜‰ hahhh... (I had an Epiphone Captain... a beast of an acoustic, like carrying a Dog-house around... to much for size.)

Anyway, I'd love to know which were the Bass|Vocal... that sounds interesting.

• @standup  Jan 11

I got a "Hadean" brand ukulele bass last summer, and used it on 80% of my 50/90 songs. It was cheap and addictive. Not much sound unplugged, but sounds good through the pickup. Giant rubber strings, and a sound that's much more muted and maybe almost upright-bass-like than my electric basses. I have an upright bass, but it's upstairs and I record in the basement, and I'm lazy, so it doesn't appear much.

• @monty  Jan 11

@standup I buy spiral steno pads at the dollar store LOL.

• @metalfoot  Jan 11

@standup I have a Moleskine music journal-- staff paper on one side, journal space on facing page. Really nice. I think they didn't sell well and might be out of print now.

• @standup  Jan 11

My Moleskines are blank pages, more flexible. I just use them for words, so the staff paper would have been wasted on me.

• @cblack  Jan 12

@andygetch Hah! Thanks. πŸ˜€

@standup @monty @metalfoot I've never gotten super nerdy about journals / notebooks, but I must admit, I do have 1 killer-looking notebook that I have strong feelings for. Not that I've used it that much... But it's so pretty!

@ustaknow Colour me jealous! I've never used P90s before, but they're definitely on My List. πŸ˜€

@postcardhelicopters Yes! Software has become my latest "thing". It's a combination of making electronica tracks, along with the fact that software only takes up digital space, not physical space, which is a real concern for me in this tiny room. Also, Shure represent! 😝 I've also looked into the SM58, but the SM57 is higher on my list. (And given that I have not, in fact, quit nicotine, unfortunately I probably won't be buying myself an SM57... *sigh*

• @cblack  Jan 12

Ack! 2 opportunities missed today at work... I work in a charity store, and I've been waiting for some music gear to come in for me to snap up a bargain (as you do). Anyway, turns out that yesterday (when I wasn't there) an acoustic guitar was donated. I didn't find out until a customer was already purchasing it today. *sigh* It had some damage, but still sounded pretty decent. Not a brand I recognised (and I only got a quick look at the brand, so can't remember what it was), but the dude bought it for $10. Presumably a beginner's acoustic, which I don't need (I have a mid-range acoustic that sounds amazing, and no room for another one anyway).

The 2nd missed opportunity was a ukulele for $2. It was a cheap kid's toy type uke, and it didn't sound that good, and the frets were too small... So I decided to not bother. Then as my shift wore on, I kept thinking, "Dude, it's 2 freakin' dollars! Just buy it!" And just as I made that decision, a woman bought it for her grandson. *sigh*

• @cblack  Jan 12

I mean, as I said, I don't have room for another acoustic, and don't need a beginner's one anyway. And the uke? It would've been my first uke, but I'm certain that kid (maybe 4 years old?) will get more joy from it than I would.

But I did play the uke for a while, which is actually my first ever uke-playing experience! It felt really quite awkward, to be honest - but I have fat fingers, and the frets were too small.

• @steviez  Jan 12

This is my second FAWM, and last year my wife bought me a really nice Fender Acoustic guitar. I also successfully COMPLETED FAWM. I'd tried and failed the RPM challenge for many years (only succeeded once) and so I've attributed my success last year to buying a new instrument. πŸ˜€ I'm one of those weirdos that believes that there is a certain juju when you get an instrument - a certain magic inside them. My wife has already pre-emptively told me I'm NOT getting a new guitar this year however πŸ˜€ So, I'm going to hit the pawn shops and thrift stores and try to find an instrument that has some magic in it - even if it's just a child's toy glockenspiel or toy piano or something. There is magic in instruments that come into your life....

• @chipwithrow  Jan 12

@steviez - I have a children's lap harp that I got a couple Christmases ago. I have only tuned and played it a couple of times. I think that will make an appearance this FAWM. (A few years ago, for either FAWM or 50/90, a friend asked me to tune, as best I could, her toddler's toy guitar. After I did, I liked it so much I recorded a couple of songs with it.)
    I keep meaning to get new strings for my acoustic - I bet I haven't re-strung it in well over a year. I hate re-stringing instruments! I've only changed the strings once on my banjo in 8 years and once on my mandolin in 10.
    @cblack - I got a uke for Christmas, and the tiny-ness of it was making my fingers cramp at first. I was already a bit concerned that I was developing some guitar-related arthritis. But as I'm typing this I notice both hands feel good, and last night I had a good hour or so of guitar playing.

• @barbara  Jan 12

Might find some room in the budget for a decent rubber chicken. 😝
    Check this video out, if in doubt: https://instagram.com/p/Bd2VUCrHs1-/

• @steviez  Jan 12

@chipwithrow - 'toy's and 'cheap' instruments can really make some amazing sounds in the right circumstances for sure. Not to mention the fact that they can be really inspire some interesting music!

• @carleybaer Jan 12

I got a new audio interface that I'm super stoked about. The M-Audio Fast Track has served me well over the last 10 years, but I've been toying around with my new Behringer UMC202HD and the signal is so strong and clean. I wish FAWM started tomorrow.

• @cblack  Jan 12

@steviez I'm open to the idea that instruments have a certain magic to them. I mean, sometimes my acoustic guitar sounds amazing to me, and other times it sounds kind of blah. Other time, my electric guitar sounds awesome, and sometimes not. The trick seems to be learning which instrument to play with in a given session. πŸ˜€

@chipwithrow Add me to the list of people who hate restringing their instruments. I currently need a new high e string on my guitar, and I've been putting off getting one. Really hate restringing. What I want to do is get locking tuners, because then I can just pull the string taut and lock the tuners, only then needing a tiny amount of tuning.

@barbara That may be the best video I've ever seen. 😁

@carleybaer Glad you're liking the new interface! FAWM goes so much easier if you like the gear you're using. πŸ˜€

• @quork  Jan 14

@postcardhelicopters
    I record on my iPad, and over the past year I’ve been stocking up on apps that I’m interested in working into my music.
    - Moog Model 15
    - Neo-soul Keys
    - iSymphonic
    -and various drum apps

I’m basically a guitar/mandolin and mouthharp player, so it should be interesting.

• @cblack  Jan 14

@quork Definitely a good idea to go in with an open mind. I mean, last FAWM was the first time I ever made an electronica song, and now I'm nearly finished with an electronica EP. If it wasn't for trying new things in FAWM last year, this EP wouldn't exist. πŸ˜€

• @quork  Jan 14

@cblack
    Electronica, very cool. Maybe I’ll get there one of these years. Last year I worked in some Mellotron-style flute, and this year I’m trying to figure out how to make strings and choir fit.

• @tootoobee  Jan 14

@chipwithrow you just made me want to buy a children's harp πŸ˜€ ...But that has to wait till next year, already have enough new toys to play with this FAWM
    @barbara the chicken is awesome πŸ˜€ we should make a rubber chicken challenge πŸ˜€

• @cblack  Jan 15

@quork Thanks. πŸ˜€

@tootoobee I'd be down for a rubber chicken challenge. 😁

@postcardhelicopters I hadn't heard that about the SM57 and SM58 being the same... All I know is that they're both meant to be great entry-level-price mics. I'm still eager to buy an SM57, but with my finances the way they are, if I record guitar or bass this FAWM, it'll be through a headphone-to-instrument-lead cable... (My amp supports record out with the same port as for headphones, and my interface can take leads.) Not ideal, obviously, but eh, gotta work with what I've got, y'know?

• @quork  Jan 15

@postcardhelicopters
    When I started setting up a basement studio I used the iPad, so I’m pretty comfortable with using it. Yes, I use an external audio interface - currently iConnectivity’s Audio4+, to which I plug in a keyboard controller through usb, and which charges my iPad.

I use Auria Pro, which is a fully functional DAW with great plugins, and there are numerous great apps,many of which use high quality samples. Re. Mellotron, Korg Module (via an expansion pack) has some great sounds that are pretty tweakable. Certainly good enough for my experiments and demo quality recordings.

Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

• @barbara  Jan 15

@tootoobee @cblack
    Challenge taken. 1 "Fair Squeeze Screaming Chicken" on its way to my doorstep!

• @cblack  Jan 15

@barbara Ha! That is all sorts of awesome. πŸ˜€

• @vomvorton  Jan 15

I decided to go for a few small studio improvements rather than splashing out on anything like a new guitar this year (at least... so far).

I've ordered a piano stool (so that I don't have to wheel my desk chair across the room to play), and a couple of cheap stereo matched condensers for recording acoustic guitar and the like. I've used slightly clunky methods* to record certain instruments in stereo before and I think it sounds much better, so this should improve my workflow!

* using a stereo portable recorder and then lining up the audio manually, ugh

• @cblack  Jan 15

@vomvorton Sounds like you're putting the finishing touches on your setup. That's kind of what I want to be doing right now, too... Only, my "studio" is a tiny bedroom. Not enough space for what I really want. Though to be fair, I don't have the money for what I really want, either. Ah, the joys of being a broke musician... 😝

• @vomvorton  Jan 15

@cblack I'm lucky enough to have a (small) spare bedroom that is pretty much dedicated to music. I'm pretty happy with it, but I think I've been adding "finishing touches" ever since I moved in and I'm not sure it'll ever actually be finished πŸ˜‰

• @cblack  Jan 15

@vomvorton Heh, yeah, I understand that. There's always something shiny and new on the horizon with music gear. My bedroom would be big enough to be a small music room (though without good acoustics) if it wasn't for this damn bed! (And clothes and stuff...) *sigh* If only I could sleep inside a bass drum comfortably, all my troubles would be over! 😝

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 15

My only "gear" purchase for FAWM was an Ikea tabletop, as a console desk stand in. My wrists, shoulders and back were getting trashed with my old setup using a digital piano as a desk.

• @cblack  Jan 15

@stuartbenbow Ergonomics should never be overlooked, for sure. That's another thing I wish I could improve upon in my current setup. My current setup isn't too bad for my physical health, but yeah, it does add a time limit to how long I can do music stuff in one go or one day...

• @krayzie003  Jan 15

I purchased the newst version of Band In A Box in December. I'll probably be using that quite a bit (if not completely) for FAWM demos.

• @cblack  Jan 16

@krayzie003 Hmm, I'm seeing Band In A Box a lot lately... May have to check it out!

• @krayzie003  Jan 16

@cblack it has opened a world of new possibilities for me.

• @cblack  Jan 16

@krayzie003 Good to hear!

• @andygetch  Jan 16

last Saturday I bought a cigar box guitar at the farmers market

• @dragondreams  Jan 16

An eight string guitar has joined the Dragondreams' Cacophonic Collection... 😁

• @krayzie003  Jan 16

@andygetch Nice find. Love the sound of a cigar box.

• @cairobraga Jan 16

I'm gonna buy a "YouTuber Kit" to step up my DIY audiovisual game and maybe new studio headphones.

• @jacobeverettwallace  Jan 16

Couple new additions to the herd this year: I bought a Mexi Telecaster with dual humbuckers. Quite an interesting tone. I'm excited to add it into the songwriting process. What I didn't know is how much money people spend on pedals and then it becomes an addiction. Dang! I upgraded to a Scarlet 2i2 recording interface. Bought a pair of Warm Audio Tonebeast preamps. I've got a new home studio space and a new music production desk coming in this week. I finally get to use all the studio foam I bought awhile back. Hoping to add at least one more large diaphragm condenser into the mix, but if not I'll roll with my cheapo gear. It's gonna be a fun season!

• @cblack  Jan 17

And I think @jacobeverettwallace wins the "sheer amount of new gear" award! 😁

@andygetch Better light up that cigar box guitar. 😝

@dragondreams *bows down in worship of the 8-string madness* πŸ˜€

@cairobraga Heh, "YouTuber Kit". Nice term. I'm looking to post some things to YouTube soon, and last night I finally managed to make a video where the audio wasn't clipping. Hooray!

• @guatecoop  Jan 17

@jacobeverettwallace , I've got my eye on the warm audio wa412...just need the pay for my last recording job to come. Let me know what you think of those tonebeasts....

• @jacobeverettwallace  Jan 17

@cblack haha my broke wallet would affirm that. It's all been piece-mealed throughout last year so it doesn't feel like a lot, but writing it out says otherwise. Haha. Sadly, the list of wants and needs hasn't shrunk at all.

@guatecoop I'm stoked to use 'em. Bought em from a guy who only used them to record an album and his stuff sounded phenomenal.

@guatecoop and btw, speaking of Warm Audio gear I have my eye on too... their new U47 clone looks amazing. I'm salivating wishing I had an extra $800 bucks for it. It would suit my vocal style so well. Soon hopefully!

• @cblack  Jan 17

@jacobeverettwallace Yep, that never-shrinking and in fact always-growing list of things I want to buy taunts me. 😝 My last major purchase was my acoustic guitar, and that was around May last year... Well, I bought a busking amp a month or two later, but haven't used it much (stage fright). And there was the PoiZone plugin, but that was just slightly over $100, so I'm not sure that really counts of a "major" purchase...

So yeah. Definitely getting the itch to buy something awesome again soon.

@cblack I wish I could say that itch lessens over time, but I'd be lying. Haha.

• @cblack  Jan 17

@jacobeverettwallace Heh, yeah, I know that all too well. I mean, in my experience, I stop obsessing about the next purchase for a few weeks, maybe a month, after a major purchase (such as my acoustic guitar). The itch comes back when the latest purchase no longer seems "new". I mean, I still like my acoustic guitar, but yeah - the shiny new thing on the horizon has a siren's song...

• @cairobraga Jan 17

@cblack it's an actual thing here in Brazil and the one I bought comprises of: 1.80m camera tripod, 90cm monopod/selfie stick, 3-piece lens set for smartphones, gooseneck clip-on phone holder, minitripod for phones, 2 lapel mics, 2 p3 adapters, extra phone holder, bluetooth remote cam shooter and a portable mini-flash for phones.

• @spinhead  Jan 17

@dragondreams When you say 8-string guitar . . .

I've seen 6-strings with the top 2 doubled. I've also seen (with a lust I can't contain) 8-string tenor guitars, guitar-bodied octave mandolins, guitar-bodied mandocellos, and three other things I can't remember.

Which is yours?

• @cblack  Jan 17

@cairobraga Oh, okay. Yeah, we don't really have that here. All the individual pieces, sure, but nothing in an actual "pack".

• @burrsettles  Jan 17

I'm thinking about picking up a nice preamp or some new mics. But then again I probably shouldn't, and just learn to use what I have better.

I did however trade my old Firewire interface for an original 1970s EHX Deluxe Memory Man pedal that's a little beat up, but in perfect working order! I'd never played with a fully analog delay effect before, and looking forward to putting it to use for FAWM! πŸ˜€

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 17

@burrsettles Oooooohhhh!!!! *waves of extreme jealousy*

• @cblack  Jan 18

@stevenwesleyguiles I'll join in the wave of jealous for @burrsettles . It's always nice when some vintage gear makes all the difference. πŸ˜€

• @b00n Jan 18

I bought a cowbell in a closing-out sale od the local music store.
    Five bucks well spent... πŸ˜€)

• @cblack  Jan 19

@b00n Last FAWM I made a cowbell song using samples available in FL Studio. Never actually owned an actual cowbell. And while the bell itself would be cheap enough, I'd then need some sort of microphone to record it... And yeah. For potentially 1 throw-away, messing-about song? Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen.

But I might still do a cowcore challenge with those samples again. Probably with some heavy-duty plugins affecting the hell out of them. 😁

• @dragondreams  Jan 19

@spinhead
    Mine has a bigger bottom! Down to B and F# below the low E.

• @b00n Jan 19

@cblack I ususally donβ€˜t write instrumentals, so Iβ€˜ll have a mic up and running anyway.
    Funnily enough I recorded a song that needed a cowbell for additinal lift in the meantime.
    If you can endure 2:20 of rough mixed rock music you can listen to it here: http://bit.ly/2rq7X8S
    I wrote the tune for last yearβ€˜s 50/90 , I think...

• @boyatheart  Jan 19

I got a cheap pickup for my acoustic guitar for Christmas, so that'll be put to the test this FAWM.
    Unless it sounds absolutely awful, expect any acoustic guitar I record to be using that pickup!

• @boyatheart  Jan 19

@burrsettles I used to have an original DMM too. The one with blue graphics and no modulation control. It was directly mains powered. Superb, but mine went faulty and gave me an electric shock!

• @spinhead  Jan 19

@dragondreams Picture? Details?

• @chipwithrow  Jan 19

I love reading what everyone is up to, especially electronically, even if often I don't know what it means. I have amps, mics, software, etc - I couldn't tell you the brand names without looking. But I can make them work to do what I like to do.
    And, through the wonder of Amazon (and not having to actually go into a store) I bought three sets of acoustic strings for the price of 2!
    And a few days ago, a friend's wife gave me what she called a ukulele pick - soft and sort of styrofoamy (the pick, not my friend's wife).

• @kylecastaway Jan 19

I bought the Izotope Elements Bundle while it was on sale. I’m also planning to buy a zoom iQ6 Mic, Etymotic Hf5’s and the Roli Block M that comes with Ableton Live Lite. Really excited.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 19

Has anyone here ever been out to NAMM? I might be going on Friday the 26th and was wondering if there was anything I should check out? Are there still any great deals or has that kind of stuff all dried up?

Anyone have friends working booths I should see?

• @airbagtester  Jan 19

@stevenwesleyguiles You should go see a short 30 minute set by Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio, performing at 5 at the Ampeg - Booth 201CD! I happened to see they were playing NAMM on their Facebook page... the NAMM page shows them playing on Friday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhicD...

• @jamkar  Jan 19

@airbagtester seems that video is unavailable now.

• @airbagtester  Jan 19

I see... that must be the problem @johnstaples was talking about on the other thread that I misunderstood...

try this link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhicD...

• @airbagtester  Jan 19

P.S. @jamkar I'm guessing a man of the keys such as yourself will definitely enjoy the DLO3!

• @jamkar  Jan 19

Sweet and tight playin' from all those guys. Like any great organ player, Lamarr has the pedals down too. His sound takes me way back to about '69.

• @jamkar  Jan 19

Here is my new guy.
    https://www.acousticsamples.net/B5

• @zecoop  Jan 19

@jamkar - Looks like fun and I can't wait to hear it! πŸ˜€
    One of my new toys this year is a near mint early 60's Hammond M-100 that I picked up for $40. "Picked up"... I actually nearly broke my back when I picked up all ~250 pounds of it with a friend and we miraculously got it into my basement studio. Super fun though... I got a Electroharmonix Lester-K pedal to go with it, which sounds wonderfully Leslie-like.

• @spinhead  Jan 19

I'm still dreaming of a custom mandocello from Steven Wishnevsky. Less than most used acoustic guitars and a little funky looking, but it's a mandocello fer cryin' out loud. Ah, maybe next year.

• @jamkar  Jan 19

Ha Ha @zecoop ! My '60 A-100 weighted over 300. Needless to say I did not gig with it, although there are plenty of guys who do!

• @zecoop  Jan 19

@jamkar I didn't actually weight it so it could be closer to 300... I measured it very inaccurately by how many vertebrae I broke, lol

• @candle Jan 19

@zecoop That's a great deal. Looking forward to hearing it on some tracks.

See You In The Shadows…

• @candle Jan 19

Got a new audio interface: a Behrringer UMC HD-404. Been having lots of fun playing around with it & my setup. I'm still experimenting, so we'll see what happens during February.

See You In The Shadows…

• @cblack  Jan 20

Lots of awesome purchases, everyone! I'm spending vicariously through you all right now. 😝

As for organs... My grandad owned a Gulbransen Series 400 that sounds amazing. I'm going to inherit it as soon as I have space for it. (Grandad's still going, but is in a nursing home now. Nanna is still at home with the organ, but has no interest in it herself.)

Oh, and @stevenwesleyguiles I always thought NAMM was only open to "professional industry types"? Like, that your average musician wouldn't be allowed in? If I'm wrong, that's fantastic, because I would absolutely love to attend one time! (Airfare from Australia to America, on the other hand, I could do without.)

• @bootlegger Jan 20

I recently (in the last year) bought a new guitar, my new number one Martin CEO-7 which has quickly become my number one guitar.

Also within the last year but more recently I bought a mandolin to mess around with so we'll see if I can work that in.

And even more recently than that (in the last month) I bought some harmonicas in the hope I could figure out how to play them.

I also haven't had a proper way to record for a bit so (yesterday) I bought a cheap presonus usb interface that comes with a free DAW so we'll see if I can figure that out.

This year will be interesting.

• @bootlegger Jan 20

@spinhead a mandocello! Yes. Something I'd love as well. Or an octave mandolin maybe. Eastman just came out with a budget one. I'd love to try it out.

I just started playing mandolin not long ago and already need a new one. It's so cheap but its been fun to get started on.

• @cblack  Jan 20

@bootlegger Ha! That sounds kind of like the FAWMer's Starter Pack. 😁 A couple of instruments, an interface and a DAW - what more could you need? πŸ˜€

• @bootlegger Jan 20

@cblack absolutely it is haha. I don't know how many fawm's it is for me this year but it's been a lot. I feel like I do some form of this every year.

• @dragondreams  Jan 20

@spinhead
    It's an Agile 328 Pro that I got cheap because the electrickery had been butchered and the previous owner had tried to refinish the body with a tar brush. Pics soon. 😊😎

• @spinhead  Jan 20

@bootlegger When you say "budget" . . . can you point me toward something? The only Eastman I know of is $2,000. I'd rather have Eastman than Gold Tone, but since the GT is only $800 . . . then I'll go with a Wishnevsky custom for closer to $300. But, Eastman, yeah.

• @bootlegger Jan 20

@spinhead The budget eastman I was referring to was their new octave mandolin, not a mandocello. I just realized my wording could be confusing. But the one I was talking about can be found places like what I'll link below even though they're sold out at the moment.

https://themandolinstore.com/product/...

• @spinhead  Jan 20

Ah, got it. Not a bad price for Eastman, but I really want the low C of a mandocello.

• @stevenwesleyguiles  Jan 20

@cblack

@stevenwesleyguiles "I always thought NAMM was only open to "professional industry types"?"

Yeah. I've been around long enough that I KNOW A GUY who knows a guy. And he had a few extra passes and gifted me one. So, I'm for sure going to drop by for at least a day and check it out. I've heard that many people are leaving NAMM because it's simply NOT profitable for them, but still, I'd like to say I've gone at least once.

@airbagtester Oh my G! I can't love that guitarists' tone hard enough!! It makes me want to buy that exact guitar/amp combo, but I know my fingers would never make the same sounds. What great sounding awesome trio!! Love it love it love it! Groove for miles.

Oh crap, is the ORGANIST playing the funky bass line with his left hand on this or is there an invisible bassist!! CRAP!! He's rad!

• @sailingmagpie  Jan 20

I so nearly just bought a vintage viola in an antique shop. I was torn but eventually decided against it as I've already got a reasonably expensive violin I never touch!

• @jamkar  Jan 20

@stevenwesleyguiles Lamarr is playing bass with his feet.

@jamkar OH. MY. GOSH! Dude. He's INSANELY AWESOME!! Seriously. My brain just imploded, then EXploded.

• @krayzie003  Jan 20

I wasnt intending on buying any new hear right now, but my wife and I went to the flea market this morning and I stumbled accrpss a hreat deal. I ended up getting a new acpustc electric Keith Urban sognatire series guitar pack. Includes guitar, gig bag, picks, capp and strap. It usually retails for $299 but got it for $100.

• @ustaknow Jan 20

I've been meaning to post this since know folks look for decent yet low cost mics:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...

The desc on amazon is:
    "Pyle-Pro Professional Moving Coil Dynamic Cardioid Unidirectional Vocal Handheld Microphone Includes 15ft XLR Audio Cable to 1/4'' Audio Connection (PDMIC78)"

$11.41 -- not always that cheap πŸ˜€ hahahhh

Looks kinda funny I know $11.

However, I've had one a good while now and looks like yet another fine knock off from China .gov Inc.

The only difference aside from cosmetic is, and not getting technical, --it does not have the large coil in the bottom -- so be sure not to have Phantom Power on. I have not tested accidental Phantom Power, -- but I expect, that would end it.

While I have no means of "scoping" it, ("sound" match) --to my ear A|B testing, is 99%.

I hear by my ear a slightly airy-er, lighter sound, but nothing that'd effect a mix or live use for me. And not being the usual $99 the SM57 costs... well, it's not a bad trade off.

You could still drive nails with this as much as one could with a SM57, so to speak, same metal housing. Well, it's metal. The other reviews are there on amazon to preview.

So, this is a --"just say'in" post.

It may not be for you or liked like I do (drum kit mic-ing and etc., spares, ambient, etc., or --Vocals!, Amp... etc.)

And with Amazon, it's got that great return policy if not as expected.

So, if helps anyone on a budget, --my only intent. As always, buyer beware, but as I see "risk", low risk since can get your ten-spot back if really miserable with it πŸ˜€

Happy recording.

• @cblack  Jan 21

@ustaknow Thanks for the rec! πŸ˜€

@stevenwesleyguiles Argh! So I was right, then? You do need to be in the biz or know someone to get into NAMM... *sigh* But eh... It'd be at least a $3000 Australian round-trip - 2 flights, hotel, food, etc. And that $3000 simply doesn't exist at this point, and I'm pretty sure there'd be far smarter uses for such a sum. πŸ˜€ Still... One day!

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

@stevenwesleyguiles in case you can't go see them at NAMM, at least check out guitarist Jimmy James' EPIC guitar face during his solo in this vid at 12:18 -
    https://youtu.be/tNO71hgto7c?t=12m18s

Jimmy JAMES, mang! 😁

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

I got a new fuzz pedal I can't wait to record with... MXR badass with a variac that sweeps the voltage between 5V to 15V. And another DIY pedal I'm building from a kit... if I don't burn the tips of my fingers off with the soldering iron first that is.

• @guatecoop  Jan 22

I just got ANOTHER 4 track...I bought a fostex x15 and can't stand it, so @zecoop messaged me about a tascam 424 that was pretty cheap an nearby. Gotta love a brother who is always looking out for me! This is all to be in the 4 track challenge! I am determined. Anyone want to buy a fostex x15?? Haha!
    Actually I pretty much have a new setup that I paid for through recording jobs. I'm hoping that my sounds will reflect the upgrades....I guess I have to write some songs! Can't wait!

• @cblack  Jan 22

@airbagtester Big fan of MXR here. The MXR Studio Compressor was the first awesome pedal I ever bought (and I still have it). Although I've got to admit, the MXR Fullbore Metal simply isn't that good... I bought it knowing that it would take some finesse to make it amazing, but I could never get a truly awesome sound from it... *sigh* I'm sure some people are able to tame it, but I'm not one of them. But still - MXR is my go-to pedal company, at least as far as checking out YouTube reviews/demos is concerned. πŸ˜€

@guatecoop Ah, I wish I had someone letting me know about awesome music gear deals! Well, I have @ustaknow , but so does everyone else in this thread. 😝

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

@cblack the MXR Variac fuzz is pretty awesome. I can turn the gain all the way down and it's more like an overdrive pedal, or I can turn the gain and tone up and set the variac to 15 volts and it's like a distortion. Or at 9V with the tone halfway and gain maxed it's pretty much like a fuzz face. And then there's the "dying battery" setting with variac at 5V and fuzz all the way up. Very versatile.

I don't usually like to spend big bucks on effects, but sometimes something comes along that I like.

I almost finished soldering my "Rattler" distortion pedal kit last night, but they shorted me by about 1 inch of 22AWG wire. AAARGH! >:(

• @dragondreams  Jan 22

@airbagtester Eric, pop round. I have LOADS of 22AWG in my stock... πŸ˜‰

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

@dragondreams LOL you'd be the first person I'd ask if we were in the same neighborhood! 😁 It's such a small connection I almost want to try and use some of the lead I trimmed off one of the resistors. Maybe there's some household electronics lying around I can gank some wire from.

• @burrsettles  Jan 22

OK, I broke down and ordered some weirdo used effects off Reverb that I've been eyeballing and lusting after for years:
    - EHX Micro Synth (https://youtu.be/T7jcnuN9vAw)
    - Digitech Whammy (https://youtu.be/tV6pSml-zXI)
    - EQD Rainbow Machine (https://youtu.be/NRtm8GaarLA)

Self-imposed constraint this FAWM: I'm not allowing myself to use ANY of the guitar effects that are on my regular gigging pedalboard. Since I need to branch out, and none of these are remotely like the effects I already own, and I'm unlikely to ever build them myself, that's my excuse! πŸ˜€

• @dragondreams  Jan 22

@burrsettles I have a Digitech Whammy - and it's permanently in my signal chain. Trouble is, it's too easy to get sidetracked by playing with the settings and forget to "play". 😁

• @airbagtester  Jan 22

@burrsettles a polyphonic harmonizing modulation machine? Do you need a permit from the DOE for that? 😁

• @torniojaws Jan 22

Not specifically for FAWM, but as a general improvement - the Kemper πŸ˜€ Just finished going through yet another 200 profiles, and narrowed it down to about 70 usable ones πŸ˜€

• @skittycat  Jan 22

I got a Boss oc-3 pedal for the cello as a xmas present to myself and a new xlr cable on the way this week. I also got some e-books and udemy classes on music producation but they'll have to wait till after FAWM cos I won't have time before.
    I had an itchy trigger finger ready to buy some synthy stuff but I can't really justify it as I have craploads of virtual synths with FLstudio.

• @standup  Jan 22

Ok I did apparently pick up a used electro-harmonic 8-step program sequencer for FAWM. Will be fun with synths.

• @cblack  Jan 23

Woo for synths! 😁

Also, I'm deeply impressed by those of you building your own pedals. Personally, I'm afraid of soldering and electronics and stuff like that. 😝

In other news, I still can't seem to justify buying the first thing on my list (a MIDI-to-USB cable) because money is so tight right now. And, I mean, I'm more likely to make digital music this FAWM, rather than playing keys... We'll see, though. Perhaps mid-FAWM, I'll buy the MIDI cable. One can dream, anyway...

• @chasingandromeda  Jan 23

Bought a Korg NanoKontrol 2 for my backpack to pair with CME Airkey. No excuses now. Everything I need to create fits in a backpack.

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 23

I wasn’t planning to, but I picked up a broadcast mic stand to clamp to my desk, clearing up some floor space in my small studio room.

I also ordered Robin Frederick’s book, Shortcuts to songwriting for film and tv. Both should arrive later this week. πŸ˜€

• @bking  Jan 24

Coffee, cables, picks, beer... I'm good. Oh yeah, three new Strats and a Tele too. If I build or buy another instrument, I may not survive FAWM!

• @helenseviltwin  Jan 24

I wasn't going to but I caved and got myself a korg nanokontrol 2. I have this idea that if I make mixing easier, I'll be more patient with it...

• @konemake  Jan 24

I have bought lots of new software and tuned my computer.

Also I bought a new small field recorder, a small microphone in order to record interesting field / outdoor samples. Haha: no copyright issues for self recorded random noises. 😁

I also sent my field mixer to repair shop. I hope they manage to fix it and I get it in time for FAWM.
    Oh yeah and I might also try hack my old Roland VS840EX multitrack recorder to use SDcards so it would be a bit nicer to use.

• @ustaknow Jan 29

Just an FYI for brave souls who seek possible bargains, concerning Harmonicas, -- yikes, right? There is not such thing, I know! πŸ˜€ "But".. wait..., there's more 😝

Since last year, I've tried, well..., nearly all, --all "expensive" (and didn't get why so expensive?) and the "el cheapo" ones hoping for that "unknown". Stay away from China .gov Inc..., for now anyway.

Well, just from the US Mail:
    "...
    Weltbesten - Casey Jones Signature Model Harmonica - Key of Low F
    ..."

-- Cross harp, "draw", Key C

** From Amazon, $19.99 plus shipping.
    Yeah I know... I must be an idiot... a LOW octave to boot!

First some inductive:
    Well, if any are aware of the cost of the Special 20's, and specifically the "Rocket Low" Progressives, Cost to me is "high", -- I have Low D, C and a Lee Oskar Low F (Low F, --again, so I can play in the key of C for folks who don't know the whole "Cross harp, 'draw", Key thing"?) anyway, That, and BTW, -- ** that Lee Oskar is a deal too, 1/2 the price of Hohner Rocket Low, and really smooth playing, and complex timbre lows).

OK, so, hey ustaknow, how was it? Well, I'll tell you πŸ˜€

-- OMG, the one I got, just now, as good as Lee Oskar or the Rocket Low.

I just A-B'd them, well since same Key as Oskar, --tonally the same and as smooth. I actually had to back off on the Draw on holes 1,2 since bent and pull easier. Not a negative to me.

Comp'd to the Rocket Low C Key, so plays draw Key G... identical. Had to back off on 1, 2 as well to avoid same rattle.

FYI, too, -- I "warned" the company, "don't lie to me" πŸ˜€, I will send it back played or not via Amazon! They said, order as many as you like.

So, derUgo. I read ONE "good" review there and found it hard to believe. He seemed to rate all well, figured yeah right πŸ˜€

And, I gotta say, imno, while "NEW" to harp, I am picky already. Sent back the Suzuki's and Seydel's, pro models, for various and others.

I think each Key needs to be looked at for itself due to Hz and draw style.

• @cblack  Feb 5

*Finally* bought a MIDI-to-USB cable today (as well as a couple spare strings for ye olde guitar). Will be playing around with that soon, no doubt. 😁

• @cblack  Feb 5

Ack! I was afraid of this... My keyboard doesn't have any drivers for MIDI, even though it has MIDI ports! If anyone out there has Windows 10 drivers for a Casio CTK-496, I'll love you forever.

I won't be returning the MIDI-to-USB cable, as I do definitely want to do MIDI in the future. It's just... Yeah. I'll be searching for a good 61-key keyboard / MIDI controller that actually has drivers.

Any suggestions?

I won't be able to afford one before the end of FAWM, but in the future, maybe.

• @cblack  Feb 5

*laughs like a madman*

So, I researched some keyboards / MIDI controllers and found 1 I like. Not only does it have MIDI function and is 61 keys, but it can also be powered by batteries if I ever go out busking. The kicker? The MIDI connectivity doesn't require a MIDI cable. 😝

Seriously.

So... I might look into returning this MIDI cable, if I can even get a refund on change-of-mind grounds.

The keyboard I found is still somewhat out of my price range right now, but whatever...

• @tsunamidaily Feb 5

@cblack

go on the casio website and see if there is a driver download section and find your keyboard/ OS.

• @cblack  Feb 5

@tsunamidaily Already tried. The Casio CTK-496 has no drivers, apparently. And there's also a fair few comments about Casio not updating drivers for Windows 10, too... *sigh*

• @cblack  Feb 5

(And for those playing along at home, I just checked my local store's policies, and it is as I thought - they're not obligated to give a refund for change of mind.)

• @spingo  Feb 5

I'm using FAWM to figure out some gear but the FAWM-specific one was a Trio band creator pedal that plays drums and bass based on what chords you play into it.

And then I got an audio looper pedal to go with it. Haven't used either yet!

• @cblack  Feb 5

@spingo Sounds good to me. πŸ˜€

On my end, I'm contemplating whether or not I can afford a new keyboard (one that has MIDI drivers available). The current thinking is that if I can quit alcohol and nicotine, I'll be able to afford the one I have my eye on...

• @spingo  Feb 6

@cblack , I'm not a keyboard player, but I get a lot of mileage out of my dinky $50 Korg NanoKey, which is like two rulers side by side, super tiny.

• @cblack  Feb 6

@spingo Mmm. For me, if I have a MIDI device, it has to be 61 keys or bigger. I'm not too interested in automating things and setting specific functions to various knobs and keys. Rather, I want to be able to play keys and have it create music within my plugins' soundfonts. Like, I currently have no way of actually recording my keyboard, but I have a few piano/keys plugins. Likewise, I have some awesome sounding synths, but lose inspiration when I have to sit there clicking my mouse, so playing would help.

So yeah. It's unfortunate, I suppose, but I have to have at least 61 keys. Limits my selection.

• @gazebo Feb 6

New bass strings (unbelievably turns out I last changed them in 2013). Quite a significant difference in the sound.

Finally also spent some money on EZ Drummer after about five years of procrastination and use of other alternatives.

• @xfloorpunchx Feb 6

Just bought a new hard disk and some RAM for my computer. πŸ˜€

• @johnfahres Feb 6

Not so much 'gear' but 'accessories' maybe? I got a strap pin for my acoustic and finally got the courage to drill into the acoustic and installed the pin. So happy I did! I love the Interwebs for how-to vids. Back in the old days (middle aged guy rant!) it was either via a how-to book or have somebody who knew how to do these things teach it to you. The thing with the tape on the drill for setting depth is something I never would have thought of, nor would I have thought to put the strap button at that position: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgNbN...

• @tsunamidaily Feb 7

i just bought a year's worth of support for my pro tools and they just called me up, took over my computer, and my pro tools is recognizing my digital interface again! so i can multitrack. i was afaraid i was going to have to monitor my BiaB tracks in my headphones, sing into my little handheld tascam recorder, and import the resultant audio into pro tools. those things never sync up properly time-wise, when you do that. so, once i accompany my parents to their errands (which is why i moved home, to help them out) i can get a couple of recordings done on this, my second day off this week. it took the guy an hour and a half to get it going. and i am going to migrate my studio onto its own dedicated hard disc i had installed in my computer later this year, so i can use another of my one phonecalls each month to make sure i'm set up there. i'm so relieved that i don't have to buy another interface. i know it is so old that it takes legacy drivers (it's an m-audio profire 2626) but i can't afford to buy another right now. i'm sure the m-audio black box i have in the basement is no longer supported. sigh of relief.

• @cblack  Feb 8

Aha! So, I've finally listed 2 amps and 1 distortion pedal for sale online. If I can sell 2 of the 3, I'll be able to justify buying the MIDI-and-busking-capable keyboard I have my eyes on. Hooray! 😁

I really want MIDI capability before FAWM ends, not for FAWM reasons, but for "music career" reasons. Not sure I have another just-digital album in me at this point, but a MIDI keyboard could open up a few more albums for me (1 for piano music, 1 for more complex electronica).

So yes. Hurry up and buy my unwanted gear, internet!

• @captainvulpine  Feb 8

All I could afford this year was a fern. May as well add some colour to the dungeon, aye?

• @cblack  Feb 9

Ferns are the plant of choice for dungeons. Mmhmm. πŸ˜€

In other news, it's been 24 hours, and nobody has rang/texted me about the stuff I listed for sale. This does not bode well. In the past, the only things I've actually been able to sell have gone on day 1. If there's no takers at that point, I very rarely get any interest. So I may have to lower my prices a smidgen... I'll give it another day or 2, but yeah...

I do want that MIDI-capable keyboard, though. *plots, schemes*

• @torniojaws Feb 9

Well, Waves had a nice deal for a couple of essential plugins that I've been looking to get for a while. MaxxBass (for making the bass stand out even in not so good listening systems) and C4 (multiband compressor). Got them for 70 USD total.

• @cblack  Feb 9

@torniojaws Sounds good to me! 😁

• @cblack  Feb 24

Ack! There's so much gear I want, and I can't afford any of it! Yet here I am, randomly browsing music store websites, dreaming... Always dreaming...

One day I'll have a proper studio with enough room for a drumkit, a bunch of guitars and amps, and ALL THE GEAR, damn it! One day!

*cries self to sleep*

• @tuneslayer2018  Feb 24

Let's see. So far since the first of the month I've gotten:

A copy of Band-In-A-Box
    A laptop to run it on
    A Behringer UM-2 "external sound card"
    A cheap but somewhat workable condenser mic off of Amazon

I'm not sure I needed the microphone; I have a very nice Blue Yeti but it's USB only and I wanted something that would fit into the UM-2's microphone port. Unfortunately the cheap but somewhat workable condenser mic isn't it, even when I turn on the phantom power; but it works as a regular microphone, and it's good enough for now.

None of this was strictly for FAWM, the timing was just right.

I have planes to catch and bills to pay, so any further expenditures are going to have to wait a while. But I'm keeping a list.

• @ustaknow Feb 24

Ah, I found another, cheap, good harmonica. Yeah right, aye?
    πŸ˜€
    Apparently that Casey Jones I wrote about above is made by Weitbesten, Frankfurt Germany. So, I looked and saw their standard issue is a "Solist" "surpa-flex" bronze reeds. Probably "Solist" is it, but one never knows. So, I saw "Jim Laabs" some "super" πŸ˜€ music store that sells via Amazon was the only one w/lic to distribute, --again.

I asked direct, again, very bluntly if was krappe or at least Hohner Super 20, etc. level quality... pending when you get one of those, they're like $40 ish + and for Low Keys 2x's that. But, on amazon he still wanted about $25 ish with shipping.

But, THEN πŸ˜€, for some unrelated reason in the search engine "Reverb" comes up and I see these Solist's there too, from "Jim Laab" but with a "make offer" tag, and "free shipping".

So, I took 10% off the $20 and offered $18 "free shipping". That was late Saturday or early Sunday Morning, weeee hours. I got a response back in like maybe 6 hrs, --accepted. So, got another C-Key'd one, --keep in the Pickup Truck or something... when sitting waiting.

So, it came yesterday. Yeah... there are no "cheap" harmonicas, only ones you may pay less for πŸ˜€ ... -- so, (happy!), it's a little "darker" than the Hohner Special 20, plays smooth, a little stiffer but I've been playing the Hohner's and on the Low C, F (very loose Keys, LowZ's are... so get Reed Rattle if draw to hard, so found this kinda "new-stiff", but not like the really cheap $10 China Inc's πŸ˜€ )

Anyway, all you-all buy as you like, --I'm new to harp and sent back a few >$100+ harps for being no better or rather --worse than a Special 20... (again, I think Key matters too) but "damn" I'm glad to spent just $18 for a harp I'd have to pay $40-50 for, pending your POP source πŸ˜€ Amazon says, today, --$47 marked down for now to $35, Key C.

So, derUgo... bargain hunters.
    -- And, that Jim Laab store seems reliable. No issues yet πŸ˜€

Yeah...

• @cblack  Feb 24

Ha, funny I resurrected this thread today... I just played around with some plugin presets, and they weren't behaving themselves when simply punching in patterns. Like, if the first beat was on beat 1, then you'd expect the pattern to smoothly repeat on beat 1 every time, yeah? Only, the echo of the preset meant that the second beat needed to be one beat later. So, beat 1 in the first bar, beat 2 in second, beat 3 in third, and so on. Completely ruined any attempt to make a song with those presets.

However, I love the sounds of those presets, and I thought to myself... "If only I already had a MIDI keyboard!" I could easily play with the right timing on an actual instrument (provided I wasn't having a sucky day). *sigh* Hopefully soon...

• @cblack  Feb 24

And I should mention: Yes, I could still make a song, despite needing to be aware of always following a beat later than I'd assume... I could, but it'd be a giant pain in the arse, and at this point I want to enjoy making music, yeah?

So not using those presets any time soon.

• @bluesgut  Feb 26

I'm always buying new gear. It is a problem. My most recent purchase was a korg MS-20M. I wanted to buy a new mic and preamp but have other obligations. I have what I need though. Just looking for upgrades

• @torniojaws Feb 26

@bluesgut MS-20 is one of the coolest synths I know πŸ˜€ congrats

• @torniojaws Feb 26

I don't think I'll buy anything more for this FAWM, but I'm kinda planning to upgrade from Cubase 5.5 to Cubase 9.5 Pro later this year. And on my wishlist, I have a 7-string guitar with Evertune and Neumann KH120 monitors. Just cheap stuff like that 😁

• @bluesgut  Feb 26

Neumann monitors. My dream. Well my dream is complicated. Between barefoots, Neumann and focal. Oh and adams

• @standup  Feb 26

Before FAWM started I got a used pair of Focal Solo6's. Very clear, pristine sound. I listened to cheaper Focals and some Neumanns in a local pro audio dealer's place, and left depressed beacuse the solo 6's sounded SO MUCH better and I couldn't afford them. Selling the old JBL's, though, and the used Focals turned out to be possible.

• @olisiatonight Feb 26

Well, yesterday I received a Chinese bamboo flute. Don't know how to play it))

• @cblack  Feb 27

@torniojaws OMG yes! I want an Evertune guitar desperately! Ever since hearing about them on YouTube, I've been vainly hoping that I could pick one up at some point. Nothing in my price range comes with an Evertune standard, though, so it'd either have to be a much more expensive guitar, or else buy the Evertune on its own and pay someone to install it on my current guitar.

*sigh* One day...

It's definitely not first on my list right now, though.

But I'm with @bluesgut . Always looking for new gear. It's a serious problem. Fortunately I don't have a credit card (just debit), so I'm in no risk of going into debt for gear... But still. So much stuff I want! I'd estimate that I put about 85% of my discretionary income into music gear (the rest being spent on CDs, DVDs and books, usually - occasionally a new PC). But even so, I'm still poor, and can't afford the shiny toys I covet. *sigh*

• @bluesgut  Feb 27

@cblack I've been using the affirm thing on Reverb. Monthly payments through the old bank account. sigh

• @cblack  Feb 27

Mmm. @bluesgut I'm too scared to use monthly payments for anything. I never know how I'll be doing financially from month to month, and I don't like the idea of a chunk of my money going to payments every month. The way I see it, if I can afford something, I buy it. If not, tough cookies. It's worked well enough so far, I suppose...

• @elesimo  Feb 27

I bought new old gear: a Tascam 424 MK2 for the 4-Track Cassette Challenge (http://fawm.org/forums/topic/7593/).

• @cblack  Mar 8

Ha! 8 days after FAWM ended, I've finally bought a MIDI-capable keyboard! (If the MIDI function still doesn't work, I'm going to scream, then return it to the store, in that order.) A Yamaha PSR-E363. Got it from my local store, whom lowered the price to price-match a further-away store. Glad I asked about price-matching! The guys at my local are always awesome about giving discounts and freebies. And hey - I was able to pick up the Yamaha in 1.5 hours round-trip, as opposed to that other store which would've been more like 4 hours round-trip. (Public transport.)

Hooray! I'll be playing around with this soon, I expect. And while it might be post-FAWM, I can still use it for 50/90! 😁

• @tcelliott  Mar 8

Congratz @cblack

I ordered and just got a little ZT lunchbox jr amp for recording purposes. I've only played through it a few minutes, but I think it's gonna be damn good for this whole recording thing. Not a huge fan of the gain/dirt it provides, but it'll be good for demos and some appropriately placed thickening guitars. But clean it seems to take pedals pretty well and sound good at lower volumes. Recording win for the... erm... win.

• @cblack  Mar 8

Thanks! And I hope you enjoy the junior amp. πŸ˜€

• @devin  Mar 8

I just had a loo at Your amp @tcelliott ... interesting setup!

I look forward to hearing your extended thoughts about it at 50/90.

• @jamkar  Mar 8

I am hoping to start a string band, so I am looking for an acoustic bass guitar, and I am restringing my flamenco with steel.

• @siebass  Mar 8

Picked up a few drum triggers by DD drum to test on my mesh kit for silent drumming...

• @tsunamidaily Mar 8

i should be getting my submarine in june, in time for 50/90. i have a pitchfork so i can accompany myself with bass on the bottom few strings while i play, and w be able to record it on another input.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/submarin...

• @silvermachine  Mar 8

After hearing @spikedirection on his CBG, I went and bought one, but
    had to send the friggin thing back. I know these things are supposed to retain an element of rough and ready build, but this thing was taking it too far. Major disapointment.

• @tseaver  Mar 9

@jamkar Is your "flamenco" designed for steel strings? Some of the classicals don't do well with that much bridge pressure.

• @tseaver  Mar 9

@silvermachine Much more fun to build your own (and then you can make it a ratrod or a showpiece, whatever floats your boat). StewMac sells CBG-ready, pre-fretted fingerboards, which takes the hardest part of the task out of play

• @silvermachine  Mar 9

@tseaver Yeah I dunno, man, I did consider it but felt pretty sure I would overbuild it. Y'know, make it out of 2x4 timber and roofing joists
    for extra sustain and robustness, and then not be able to pick it up.
    I haven't given up on the idea of getting one.

• @spikedirection  Mar 9

@silvermachine you've gotta build it yourself bro, it's the only way. For a start every one I've ever seen for sale had action a mile high and a crappy piezo pickup. Mine is a ongoing project. A living document if you will, and has been tinkered with pretty regularly since its birth to get a better sound.
    A good thing to start with might be a Diddley Bow, because you could indeed make that from some great lump of 2x4, and a couple of cans. I had one that used to sound like the devil's farts, but it's kind of broken now. At some point I'll rebuild it.

• @cblack  Mar 10

So, I've just realised that my new keyboard's grand piano soundfont sounds waaaaaaay better than any of my piano plugins. Way better. Fortunately, this keyboard promises both MIDI *and* actually recording the keyboard itself. But what this will mean in practice is that I'll have to up my performance game.

I mean, if I'm recording an actual sound file, rather than MIDI beats, it'll be much harder to edit on the computer, yeah? Like, editing out the crap parts and fixing them. So yes... Will have to up my game there, because it really does sound *way* better than the plugins.

I'll still use the MIDI function for my synth plugins, though, I think. That's the plan anyway. πŸ˜€

• @cblack  Mar 13

So, got the keyboard-recording and MIDI-recording sorted out. Hooray! Hopefully soon I'll become a song-writing machine. 😁 Been practicing keys like a mofo these last few days.

Soon, precious. Soon...

• @cblack  Mar 13

Posted a quick song from the new keyboard. I'd love it if you could check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndbb...

• @quork  Mar 13

@cblack
    Sounds rich and beautiful. Great pick up, and nice playing.

• @cblack  Mar 13

Thanks!

Although, I must admit, I only just thought about reverb. Added some reverb in FL Studio to the file, and it just came even more alive. *sigh* Not going to bother changing the YouTube video, though. It's a demo, something to share with friends, and nothing more. Probably.

But yeah. When I do start work on the first Piano Fugue album, reverb will be involved for sure!

• @tcelliott  Mar 13

Just bought a Fender 25R "practice" amp online. Gonna have to find a replacement speaker for it. Actually not a terrible little amp that will take pedals fairly well. Got it for cheap. Will pick it up tomorrow.

So two amps in less than a week. Both inexpensive. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to stop spending money.

• @cblack  Mar 14

Heh, @tcelliott . Welcome to my world!

Me: "Oh, I should buy X, Y and Z..."
    Reality: "You can't afford X, Y and Z."
    Me: "What about just X?"
    Reality: "Nope."
    Me: *Buys X anyway.*

• @cblack  Mar 15

So, 3 piano songs made (plus that dummy track I posted a link to). I think I actually stand a chance of winning FAWM now! Too bad it's half a month late... 😝

• @wacha  Mar 15

After asking around about how folks program their drums I deiced to invest in Reaper. I'm didn't bother with it during FAMW because I knew it would only cost me time to try to learn new recording software but I started messing around with it after to work on a some stuff for the Album Production Challenge and I really happy with how it's working.

I'm still doing the free demo but will pay for it once that expires.

• @zecoop  Mar 15

@wacha - I switched to Reaper this year after using n-Track for 18 years or so. Everyone else in the band (kovbleu, slawbleu and guatecoop) all used it and liked it . I learned it very quickly, had no problems and didn't do anything fancy. I've been very happy so far! I'm sure there is still a lot to learn, but so far, nothing bu praise. πŸ˜€

(can't help you with drum programming, unfortunately... Sure wish I could do anything at all with midi)

• @bachelorb  Mar 15

I think n-Track was why I went completely analog..... I couldn’t keep up with paying for the versions and had some problems going between the iOS and windows versions.... Finally I just gave up....

• @tcelliott  Mar 15

Yesterday they had that Allegro 2 weighted and touch sensitive keyboard on the stupid deal of the day. And I purchased it. I'm sure it's not awesome, but from the reviews and videos I saw it might be perfect for me. I haven't played the piano since the fourth grade, except in theory class.

• @cblack  Mar 15

@tcelliott Mwhaahahaha! Soon keyboard purchases will reach critical mass, and the world will be ours!

Embrace the dark side. πŸ˜€ *evil glowy eyes*

• @silvermachine  Mar 16

n-Track totally f*cked up my early digital recording, that thing was so friggin' unstable and shit. I so nearly gave up on home recording because of it. Switching to Reaper was a revelation.

• @scottlake  Mar 16

Bought EZDrumner and am kicking myself for waiting so long. Used on several songs this FAWM

• @wacha  Mar 16

@zecoop I watched a YouTube Tutorial on how to do basic beat making using the virtual midi keyboard. Despite working in the pro audio department of Sam Ash for a while when I was younger I still can't wrap my head around midi through I think I will eventually end up getting a midi keyboard and giving it a try.

I have been able to make a few simple beats to use in place of a click track. I will say that Reaper has opened up my recording options significantly.

• @zecoop  Mar 16

@wacha - I think the midi and programming will come. One hitch for me is that I need to record my drum set in another room and due to an older laptop, still use n-Track there, so I record a click from my piano as a separate track and bring that to record with i the 'drum room' (i.e. the unfinished basement, lol).

• @wacha  Mar 16

@zecoop I use a Tascam digital recorded to record everything. Down the road I will invest in a USB interface but for the time being what I've been doing is I've made a simple bass and hi hat beat which I speed up or slow down based on what I need, save it as a WAV, import it to my Tascam and then record along with it.

It's tedious and a little time consuming but I was finally able to make a home recording in time last week so it's worth it.

• @zecoop  Mar 16

Hopefully someday, I'll get midi to work, but the familiarity with my process is working and I like playing keyboards (even though I am terrible) rather than programming the parts. Same with drums - I used to use a ton of loops (still do occasionally) but I like to play the drums more. I'm getting better but still not where I want to be by a long shot. My process is also tedious and time consuming since I play everything live one part at a time, but I love building songs like that and seeing what happens.

I've loved my Tascam US-1800 interface that I got three years ago or so, and loved it so much that I got another for recording drums in that room. Both were on Ebay/Craigslist for pretty cheap and along with Reaper, things go pretty smoothly.

Most of my 'new' FAWM purchases are old used things for cheap off Craigslist. πŸ˜€

• @cblack  Mar 16

I still haven't actually used the MIDI function on my new keyboard to "record" some synths. Been having too much fun with simply recording the keyboard itself. The grand piano soundfont is truly epic, and way better than any piano plugins I have.

So far, I'm up to 36 minutes of a piano album. Not bad for slightly over 1 week of owning the keyboard! (And 28 minutes of that came from a single day!)

• @ampersandman  Apr 20

My new guitar has arrived.
    It's this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT3L8...
    I could not afford a Fender, but the Squier feels and sounds just as amazing. The quality you get for that price is near unbelievable. I think I'm in love.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...