Less than 2 months till FAWM starts!

Skip to the bottom

• @metalfoot  Dec 2

I know, I should be getting excited and hepped up for the Christmas season-- and I am-- but I'm equally excited for the coming FAWM season! 😁

• @andygetch  Dec 4

tick tock
    tick tock

• @spinhead  Dec 4

I was determined not to be one of those FAWMgeeks who comes here two months early just to see the site.

• @metalfoot  Dec 6

@spinhead And yet here you are. 😉

• @andygetch  Dec 8

I am one of those FAWMgeeks 😀

• @cblack  Dec 9

I gotta admit, I'm more excited about FAWM than Christmas. Unless I get enough cash for Christmas to buy some more music gear, of course. 😁

• @brrrse  Dec 11

Since it is the holiday season, it allows me to begrudgingly do things in a grumpy way, so I have begrudgingly chosen the title of my album for FAWM 2018, and the titles of the first 14 songs. I may be doing some prep this year - like organized and outlines and stuff - but do not hold me to that. so yeah - I'll be back this year.

• @unkept Dec 15

I'm getting pretty pumped up myself!

• @cblack  Dec 16

Me too! I just listened to a great album, and I'm itching to make some music. I think I'll get in the habit of working on music as just a normal daily event, though, rather than waiting for FAWM to start.

I mean, I'll still aim for 14 songs in February, but I might be able to get *another* 14 songs done before then. 😀

• @quillwraith  Dec 18

Hello! I'm back on the forum too. Been listening to some of people's music from previous years

• @standup  Dec 20

It's not even January and I'm dropping in to see what's going on here. It's gonna be a long, cold January.

• @brrrse  Dec 20

@standup ohhh....thanks for the song title idea 😀

• @tcelliott  Dec 20

Reminded me of "Long, Cold Winter" by Cinderella which was the bluesiest hair metal band song I can think of.

• @brrrse  Dec 20

Long December by Counting Crows is what came to mind here.

• @gromwaf Dec 21

I'm looking forward to this more than ever...!

• @quillwraith  Dec 21

"January brings me down,
    It plays tricks on me
    But February makes me wonder what life's supposed to be"
    - @wickedmessenger1

• @writeandwrong  Dec 22

Can we just skip the holidays and get Februarying?!

• @barrygoldman  Dec 26

I'm actually really looking forward to it this year. I was not happy with my output last FAWM, I'm poptarthero but I made a new account to use this name, but it was a really good time anyway. I have a lot of idea going for my next album and I might save them for next FAWM. Maybe.

• @chandra83  Dec 28

\m/

• @ruiguo Dec 28

This is going to sound ultra stupid but I'm actually a little nervous about FAWM this year. I'm nervous because A) I have a band now and they occasionally ask me to contribute songs, but I'm out of the habit, B) I want to try some new things, i.e. composing on electronic drums in addition to my guitar and bass, and writing lyrics in Mandarin Chinese (I live in China) and C) I'm afraid I that I just can't do it anymore. I really hate getting out of my comfort zone hahaha...Guess I'm about to though.

• @mishykatz  Dec 29

Yay, they're baaaack...so good to see you all here chomping at the same bit, haha! Happy New Year!

• @spinhead  Dec 29

@metalfoot Yeah yeah yeah. I have a whole month to write books before I descend into the maelstrom.

I recently bought a Blueridge tenor guitar and I have never loved an instrument so much. Used to joke as a bass player that 6 strings were too many, but now that I've bashed away at my tenor and at some mandocellos and mandolas in the shops I've realized I have a new love.

• @metalfoot  Dec 29

@spinhead A tenor guitar? Sounds intriguing... Might be good for a short-fingered fellow like me to get something like that... assuming the frets are smaller/closer spaced...

• @w1n  Dec 29

I'm looking forward to writing some new tunes, I have ended up with only making new material during FAWM and 50/90.

• @charliecheney  Dec 30

Gah. @spinhead I want a Blueridge so much. I was just posting about it on another thread... recommending TC buy one.

• @johnstaples  Dec 30

@spinhead, I've had my Blueridge tenor for 2 or 3 years and I totally love it! And you are right, especially for fingerpicking, 4 strings is plenty!

Here is one I wrote in FAWM 2016 on the tenor,

https://soundcloud.com/johns-95/sweet...

• @izaakalexander Dec 31

😀 --- here's to 2018

• @pfoo  Dec 31

@spinhead @metalfoot @johnstaples @charliecheney @ttg105 I have an electric tenor guitar. I'm not a guitar player of any sort, but I love the four strings and tuning of the tenor. I'd love to hear what you all do with yours during FAWM. I'm adding Technicolor Gramophone to this chain - he does some great stuff with the tenor.

• @johnstaples  Dec 31

Hiya @pfoo! I have written several songs on my tenor guitar and it is a delight! I had never even heard of them until 2011 when I saw Carrie Rodriguez at Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. She played such awesome fiddle but I was curious about these 4-string guitars, both electric and acoustic, that she kept playing. So between sets I asked one of the guys handling her setup about them and he told me they were tenor guitars.

A few years later I reached a point where I had to have one and bought my Blueridge. And what a wonderful instrument!

Four strings is perfect for fingerpicking and also great for strumming as it lowers the overall volume and makes it easier to sing over when un-mic'ed. And where I find ukulele fretboards to be a little small for my hands, that tenor is just right!

I am watchlisting you to see what songs you write on your tenor this FAWM! We should have a tenor guitar songwriting challenge!

• @metalfoot  Jan 1

@izaakalexander We doing trombone duo for FAWM or is that just a 50/90 gig? 😉

• @pfoo  Jan 1

@johnstaples Cool - let's create a new thread for tenor guitar talk once the sight is reset for 2018. I haven't played in months - I will need January to toughen up my fingers!

• @spinhead  Jan 2

@pfoo @johnstaples I'm in.

Local guy mods Tele-style guitars to electric tenors. I'm lusting after a sandblasted dark wood one he only wants $300 for.

But, really, all I want is an Eastman mandocello. Because I can't even dream of a Weber. Okay, I'd settle for a Gold Tone.

• @izaakalexander Jan 4

@metalfoot , I'd love to Alex, but my t-bone is on another continent. Perhaps I can write it and you can play both parts, or we can recruit another player.

• @metalfoot  Jan 4

@izaakalexander How exciting to have changed continents! No worries. Trombone will happen one way or t'other.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...