Limiters and Maximizers: When do you use them?

Skip to the bottom

• @siebass  May 14

Limiters I understand in general are useful for clipping out spiking on a given track, allowing for more perceived loudness for any given track.

Maximizers are more subtle, and I don't have a handle on those.

Basically, what would you use these for, in a practical application?

Most of the vids I have watched indicate that they are useful for polish and getting extra perceived loudness out of a mix.

• @radioovermoscow May 14

Limiters will prevent a sound going over a set db level, with a very fast attack. A clipper will have zero attack and infinite compression, so sounds that try to go over the level will literally be clipped - just held at that level. Others might pull it back a certain amount per decibel, eg. for every 10db it tries to over, it pulls it back to one.

They're essentially fast and hard compressors - pretty much the same science, just more extreme.

You'd use them to get more volume out of a track, ideally without destroying the sound. Great for catching one-off brief peaks, though noawadays you'll hear them used to crush the dynamics out of a track so it's ALWAYS LOUD AND NEVER QUIET AND SOUNDS LIKE CRAP COMPARED TO PROPERLY MASTERED MUSIC.

Maximizers I don't think are defined as anything - sounds more like a marketing term to me. Probably a combination of limiting, saturation and harmonic exciters - like a one-size-fits-all mastering tool that might work wonders for a piece, but is no r

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...