Compression is great, but save some for the final mix

Skip to the bottom

• @siebass  May 14

Compression is an amazing thing, and there are plenty of plugins out there that do it differently to varying degrees of awesome. Like a mouse pushing the button to get more cocaine squirted in the brain, I have overused compression on tracks to get tracks to sound good, better, and then terrible once you go too far. You will know you've used to much when you start to get that sad "pumping" effect, it sounds kind of like a wave phaser, and you will know it when you hear it.

Another tip I've picked up is to not overcompress your tracks/mix, as that gives your mastering engineer space to use different types of compressors to colour your track in different ways. Another bonus is if you save enough compression for when you have your final mix, it smooths out many of the spikes to give it a nice, loud-sounding polish. My main tip here was to make sure you save room for compression at the end to avoid pumping.

• @metalfoot  May 14

BUT I LIKE THE BRICKWALL COMPRESSION SOUND. I'M NOT SHOUTING IT'S JUST THAT I COMPRESSED MY TYPING.

😉

• @siebass  May 14

I lol'ed at that, @metalfoot. That is definitely what compressed typing would look like.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...