Will there be a 'Best Of' FAWM album this year?

Skip to the bottom

• @majordanby  Mar 20

There used to be a best of album every year on Bandcamp but I don't think there has been for the past few years.
    Are there any plans to resurrect this as it used to be good to hear the cream of the years songs.

• @ampersandman  Mar 20

I think with the sheer number of good songs this is an almost-impossible task. The recommendations thread alone is over 100 entries long. And who should decide on what is good? You can't use no. of comments as an indicator since it's more an activity measure. Plus there's this wide variety of genres. Would you try to mix them or focus on the more popular ones (probably Singer-Songwriter)? I wouldn't want to be in the place to compile the songs.
    But maybe people could list their individual best-of playlist.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 20

The FAWMpilation stopped several years ago because it became more hassle than it was worth (my understanding - not necessarily the whole reason; I wasn't involved in that conversation directly).

At least once, some FAWMers have taken it upon themselves to curate their own album of FAWM. I see no reason, if there is an appetite for such a thing, why this couldn't be done again. It's not a project I'd be taking on though 😝

• @lvgd09 Mar 20

We have members that make "podcast" featuring the week or months best compilation. FAWM is a huge group though and the participants need to request or accept invitation for podcast participation. Probably it is a download mp3 (one hour long audio with DJ reading the credits).

I've seen this in other music collab groups and it was effective and a fun listen. Wish I still had those old podcasts but they got lost, forever.

• @stephenwordsmith Mar 20

When the first FAWMpilation was released in 2005, 56% of those who completed the challenge were represented on the album. As the number of participants grew (exponentially, initially), it became less and less representative. And more and more people became gravely wounded that they were not selected. Selection criteria had become more specific to nuances of FAWM itself, rather than overall quality: preference was given to fulfillments of weekly challenges and the like. People revolted. It was remarked that it was nice that the 2009 album did not feature any of the artists who were on the 2008 album. People revolted. The committee explained in very small words that this was a nice coincidence and never deferred to as a criterion. People revolted. In 2010, Burr himself expressed displeasure at the overall downward trend in the quality of submissions (I agree, based on the metric of the tracks that were selected for volume 6. Based on those that were *not* selected, I would respectfully d

isagree). People revolted.

A compromise was striven for in 2011 - 9 different volumes, segregated by and large by genre, available as download-only albums on Bandcamp. 9 curators worked tirelessly to assemble these, with limited track quality and liner notes. A year on, it was announced that, across the 9 volumes, a total of 7 individual albums had been downloaded. It was somewhat nebulously suggested that volume 7.1 would be a sort of 'best of' or 'introductory' CD. People revolted.

For a few years afterwards, threads were started giving suggestions for how to 'objectively' decide on a representative album, including sheldonesque pipe dreams about having hundreds of FAWMers compare thousands of songs each based on an algorithm used in chess tournaments, despite barely anyone having the wherewithal to listen to 80 tracks in 2010. Names were called. People revolted.

The most consentient conclusion drawn over the years was 'Make your own. Nobody will be disappointed'.

• @spinhead  Mar 20

@stephenwordsmith revolted 😉

I put together an Americana compilation which is still one of my favorite albums of all time, all FAWM songs from the same year (I even put one of my own on there.)

It was like herding cats into a swimming pool.

I'm glad I did it. It was a good experience. You should do it, really, you should. But I won't do it again.

People revolted.

Was that 'Handmade and Homespun', @spinhead ? My wife and I still have a copy of that one. It's good. I like the extended edition of @philhenry's 'Hold Up'.

• @majordanby  Mar 20

Oops, I didn't realise it was such a sore point.
    I totally understand with the numbers involved. You can only please some of the people, some of the time

• @spinhead  Mar 20

@stephenwordsmith Indeed. Phil shines. And Des McKinney's "No One Will Ever Love Me" is a hoot.

• @johnstaples  Mar 20

Sounds like a good decision to drop this since no one agreed on who should be on it and then no one wanted it anyway! One of those ideas that sound good on paper...

• @zecoop  Mar 20

The Michigan FAWMers put together a representative and inclusive album in 2013... I have no idea if anyone listened to it, but it does have an amazing cover, if i do say so myself. 😉

https://michiganfawmers.bandcamp.com/

• @tcelliott  Mar 24

To be fair, by the time the 7 albums were done it was in the off season. It wasn't promoted the following FAWM and the prices were set closer to industry standard than as a fundraiser. With no physical discs and the time spread out among us volunteers, I believe we would have had a lot more downloads with a little promotion and a massive price drop to something reasonable. Get them all for 10 bucks as opposed to trying to buy 7 albums for 50 or whatever.

Just my opinion. (I'm not trying to be revolting.)

also, I think Burr said he was done with it, but if someone else wanted to then go ahead. But I could be wrong about that as well. (My wife says I'm wrong a lot.)

• @lvgd09 Mar 24

@tcelliott Interesting. I had no idea the records were intended to help support FAWM. What I remember was thinking "who is getting the money" and "why are the names not listed". That said, I wasn't paying much attention. I get locked into my own music world during the challenge, and nobody ever asked me personally to get involved or use one of my songs. It always seemed that it was already filled before I ever heard about it. I mean the CD project...full, and next.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...