dropbox has disabled all public folders

Skip to the bottom

• @sci 6 weeks

quote from the email i got: "This is a reminder that your Public folder links will become inactive on March 15. On that date, your Public folder will become a standard Dropbox folder, and your files will remain safe in your account. If you want to share those files again, you’ll need to use shared links instead."

I'm lucky enough to have my own server for direct linking, but not everyone is. And an even smaller group is going to even notice that their links aren't working.

press F to pay respects

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

Yeah, a sad day. I changed from dropbox earlier this year before they forced me to change.

• @kevinemmrich  6 weeks

ah yes -- I moved all my fawm links over to the fawm hosting -- but I guess all the old 50/90 links are dead. How long does the fawm file hosting last?

• @lvgd09 6 weeks

I needed the hot-linking (public folders) and it is now gone....bummer. I will need to find another service for 5090. I do prefer listeners download my mp3 because they are tagged and sometimes carry picture and lyrics.

I can already forecast "Soundcloud" becoming a group majority. Sadly, because most of those won't let you download and won't show up on any offsite jukebox.

Dropbox is dead..

update: checked my page....all audio links were dropbox, and are now dead. I doubt I will be fixing any of my dropbox links.

• @sci 6 weeks

@lvgd09 just looking at the tags on your songs, I'd like to ask you to reconsider.
    gotta hear tha t...... jazz......

• @jendistad  6 weeks

@kevinemmrich FAWM File Hosting lasts indefinitely. However, in the lead-up to 50/90 (so, roughly mid-June), the account will no longer accept new files. (=

• @kevinemmrich  6 weeks

I have been using the public dropbox for at least 5 years for free, so I really can't complain at all. Does the paid dropbox version allow for that direct linking feature?

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

Paid dropbox is also phasing out the direct linking, if I recall correctly, but its users get it for another few months.

• @cts  6 weeks

It was only a matter of time...

• @klaus  6 weeks

Hi @sci @metalfoot @kevinemmrich @lvgd09 and @cts
    You should be able to stream your demos from Dropbox without public folders. Copy your demo to a private folder. Right-click demo> share>create a link>copy link. Replace "dropbox.com" with "dl.dropboxusercontent.com" and remove the "?dl=0" parameter.

I got my free Dropbox in 2013 and there were no public folders at all. So I've always used this streaming method. My links for Fawm and 50/90 still work just fine. Hope this helps. 😀

• @kevinemmrich  6 weeks

@klaus Just tested: Created a folder under dropbox called MP3, copied a file in. Right-click demo> share>create a link>copy link. went from dropbox's this "https://www.dropbox.com/s/xr21ntyenmv..." to this "http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/xr..." -- and it worked!!!!!!!!

By the way, I used 50/90's DEMO method (not streaming)

• @klaus  6 weeks

Great, Kevin! I just posted a dummy MP3 file for a lyrics-only song I posted for Fawm. I wanted to make sure I didn't give bad advice. And it worked too! ( EDIT: It streamed. )

It seems that Dropbox still works just fine for Fawm and 50/90 even after the disabling of public folders.

But for those who have used Dropbox's public folder for linking files for their own site, or blogs or forums may have to do more work.

• @petemurphy  6 weeks

@klaus !!!!! You are a star!!!!
    I'm now in the process of making all my songs work again, with massive thanks to you!

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

I already had other hosting I was paying for, @klaus, but this is great for those who still need dropbox! Thanks! 😀

• @lvgd09 6 weeks

@klaus Great tip! I've just updated one of my existing links using your hack and it worked perfectly. On my page, track two should play now. I'll do the others later as this takes a little while and patience. Thanks Klaus

• @lvgd09 6 weeks

update: Using the technique @klaus provided, I have updated all of my broken links to working links. I did not have to create a folder or move any files. I simply create the link at dropbox, and using the instructions provided, I modified my new link on FAWM....it works. Thanks Klaus.

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

The cynic in me wonders when dropbox will disable this workaround, but I'm glad it works for now!

• @kevinemmrich  6 weeks

@metalfoot : As soon as they find out about it! (probably, but hopefully not).

• @lvgd09 6 weeks

@metalfoot I've seen it before, and what happened was the link would change every 24 hours. I think it was Microsoft Skydrive....it was a long time ago. I don't know if Dropbox has the technology to pull that off...maybe. Still, there is always another service somewhere....well...there was in the past. I haven't needed it for the past 3 or 4 years. Dropbox been good. Only useful for these challenges though, as I don't have a website or promote my music. I did release another album on Google Play this week. I'll plug that here so you can see the difference. Also, these songs were all 5090 and FAWM.

https://play.google.com/store/music/a...

• @andygetch  6 weeks

Yes the warning signs have been posted for miles on this road. I'm on the paid Dropbox version, mainly for file backup and direct sharing. The only public sharing (link on a webpage) I have used is for posting songs for songwriting groups (Song Skirmish, Fearless Songwriter, Songwriting Challenge). For this challenge (and 5090) I use the FAWM/5090 file hosting. For Song Skirmish @brownium has set up a site. For the others I can either go back to Soundcloud or use Bandcamp.

• @darcistrutt  6 weeks

I had to figure out how to do the link process to get a photo shared. I was successful! I also do the FAWM and 50/90 hosting!

• @arkka  6 weeks

Thanks Klaus! Of course I read this post just after figuring out an alternative solution 😁

Well I'm going to share it anyways just in case Klaus' method stops working (I'm guessing it won't).

Copy the link normally and replace
    ?dl=0
    with
    ?dl=1#.mp3

Changing the zero to one would be sufficient if the FAWM site would see it as streamable. The site could also just parse it automatically so we could just use links ending in "dl=0". Just an idea for the next year maybe? @burrsettles

e: Just tested on the 50/90 site and using "?dl=1" works there.

• @metalfoot  6 weeks

Wow. That is easier, @arkka. Just updated "This is a Test" from my 50/90 profile and it worked!

• @kevinemmrich  6 weeks

@arkka nice!!!!! thanks.

• @klaus  6 weeks

Hey @arkka thanks. It works and is easier too.

Does anybody think Dropbox might disable these hacks too in the future? If they do they propably won't be emailing about it in advance. Might be a good idea to check other options for streaming. You wouldn't want to see your demos have broken links in middle of Fawm or 50/90. 😀

• @lvgd09 6 weeks

@arkka Nice! I haven't tried but I believe. Thanks

• @sci 6 weeks

@ everybody in this thread: bless.

• @deafsteever  5 weeks

I dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I just tried Mediafire and it seems to work pretty good. You get 10G storage with the free, basic membership.

To get the URL, once you've uploaded your mp3, click to download the file from the list of uploaded files (note: the URL from this list won't automatically play in the FAWM player); after you do this, a new "download file" window will open; then right click on the download button in the new window and copy link address; paste that as your URL on your song's FAWM page. Pretty easy, really. I just tried it for my two FAWM 2017 tracks (previously, I used Dropbox, but of course, those links died). Mediafire has an app, too.

• @lvgd09 5 weeks

@deafsteever Nice! I haven't used their service in a long time but if it becomes necessary we have another option, thanks.

side note: I just saved this thread to my computer for future reference

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...