Tip: Don't Comment on Your Own Songs

Skip to the bottom

• @jendistad  Feb 7

I've noticed this on a few different songs. So, I want to offer a bit of advice.

Scenario: Someone has commented on your song. You want to reply to the comment. Don't reply by commenting on your own song. The other fawmer will NOT see the comment (unless they happen to visit the song again of their own volition). Tagging someone works in the forums, but not on song posts.

Instead, post a reply on their soundboard. Conversations may seem disjointed this way, but at least they will happen. 😉

Happy fawming! (=

• @jodv  Feb 7

Excellent pro-tip @jendistad

• @isaacq  Feb 7

thanks Jen! i've noticed a couple people on my watchlist doing this, so will tag them here to make them aware.

@freakingsnap @jacobmorales if you want to reply to people's comments on your songs, you have to do it on their soundboard or they will never see what you say! see Jen's original post above for details.

• @jendistad  Feb 7

Another quick note: when tagging your songs, every space starts a new tag. So if you tag a song, "this is a really silly one," the song will be tagged as "a" as well as "is" and "silly." Underscores and hyphens are your friend here. (=

• @meriamber  Feb 7

Awesome tips! I didn't know about the tagging 😮

• @stephenwordsmith Feb 7

But without people tagging their songs using "the" and "of", we wouldn't have the genres of Turbo Harp Electronica and Ogre Folk!

• @jacobmorales  Feb 7

@jendistad @isaacq thanks! I've long wondered about this. You'd think they would've built in more advanced features into the site for this by now.

• @nine  Feb 7

Thanx for this tip, @jendistad ! Being for the first time here, I am sometimes confused what would be appropriate. Wouldn't it be good if someone synthesizes tips like this in a FAQ page?

• @airbagtester  Feb 7

@stephenwordsmith Amen to that! I can't tell you how many times I've gotten excited to hear some THE only to find out, "Oops, it didn't concatenate the full string." (I still listen and comment, but I always suggest they add more turbo harp.)

• @jendistad  Feb 7

For those interested, the FAQ is here: http://fawm.org/help/

@stephenwordsmith, I wasn't saying fawmers couldn't tag their songs "of" and "the." I only mentioned the tagging for those who were <i>unaware</i> that they were tagging their songs "of" and "the." 😉

• @isaacq  Feb 7

Ogre folk is totally overrated.

• @wacha Feb 7

I made this mistake last year. A fellow fawmer was kind enough to let me how to properly respond. It made all the difference in communicating with folks here.

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 7

All about #dweebstep

• @dragondreams  Feb 7

I want a turbo harp now! 😁

• @blakewilliams  Feb 7

Oof... I've been doing this all wrong. Thanks for the tip!

• @fuzzy  Feb 7

Same with the Soundboard posts - if someone writes on your Soundboard and you want to respond, go to *their* Soundboard to do it.

• @stephenwordsmith Feb 7

@isaacq Occasionally, there are some diamonds in the rough.

Consider @mattwestcott's 'Limberlost Swamp/Canticle'

Are you going to Limberlost Swamp?
    Marshland, rage, nose hairy and grime
    A fair elf princess there for to chomp
    (she once was a true love of mine)

• @michaelepic Feb 7

That's an outstanding suggestion! I remember in my first couple FAWM's, I would respond to comments on my songs but always wondered if they ever saw them and was like well crap, so now I just stick to soundboard's or forums 😁

• @laotranati Feb 7

Excellent tip! I replied to a comment once on my soundboard and then realized that nobody did that, ooops!

Thanks!

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...