Massachusetts FAWM-over party

Skip to the bottom

• @colgoo  Feb 6

Hello fellow songwriters!

Last year as a FAWMling one of the highlights for me was meeting up with some of my favorite local artists and having a jam session.

I would love to see this happen again: bigger and better than ever. The more, the merrier! So I thought that this would be a good place to hash out the following things:

Best Date: what dates are free on your calendar?

Best Time: would a Saturday morning brunch be best? Sunday afternoon? Another day and time?

Location: last year we got together at the Vault in Somerville which was quite intimate and fun. But if you have a better location to offer that is accessible to those who are planning to come, let's talk through it. I am happy to scout out a local church that is T-accessible for those without cars if we want to make this into a potluck where we can invite family and friends to come support us....

Who to invite? Do we want this to just be a jam session with local FAWMers, or do you like the idea of making this into a mini-concert where each of us has at least one or two songs prepared to share? If we do a mini-concert, would you like to have a donation jar where we could donate the proceeds to a cause we can all get behind?

Anyway....thought I would start this ball rolling.

• @bethdesombre  Feb 6

March dates I'm free currently: Sunday March 5, Saturday or Sunday March 11 or 12; possibly Sunday the 19th, possibly Sunday the 26th. (Also, I have a gig in Somerville April 1st if anyone wants to come hear FAWM songs in the wild . . . .)

• @andrewjtaylor  Feb 6

Thanks for the invite @colgoo! Most Saturdays work for me (though the 18th would be a challenge). Sundays are a no-go.

• @colgoo  Feb 6

Okay, it's gotta be on a Saturday then @andrewjtaylor because I must hear you perform live!!! (For those of you who haven't listened to the first FAWMcast, he was one of the featured performers.)

How does Saturday, March 11th look?

Can we plan on that working for everyone? If that works, would 10:00 or 11:00 be a good time? Mid afternoon? Or is evening best?

• @unpronounceable Feb 6

I have 3/5, 3/18, and 3/19 available. Thanks for trying to include everyone!

• @antlion Feb 6

Yay! Personally I love the idea of a church or something, as I'm enough of a wimp that even a semi-public cafe space seems a little frightening for performing. I could do any weekend but the first weekend of March, though my follow-through record on fawm over parties is wretched enough that you probably shouldn't schedule around me...

• @mom23gals  Feb 6

I'm most likely out for this year. I have orchestra rehearsals on March 4, 11, & 18; and a concert on March 19.

• @colgoo  Feb 6

Oh, shoot! I love your music!

• @colgoo  Feb 6

If we're going to have a more intimate group (8-16 in total), I'd be willing to host at my condo. It's a ten minute walk from public transportation and I could private email the positive RSVPs with my address. I think I live in a central/accessible locations (we do have stairs, though, if that's an issue...) We could spread out a little more than last year's location and do vegetarian potluck for those who are on tight budgets. We have a few guitars, full size cello and violin, an electronic keyboard, old time banjo, a couple of dobros and a hand drum, so if you play any of those and are not particular, you wouldn't have to bring instruments with you.

If we book a church or other larger location, I would think it would be an invitation only kind of recital event where each of us could invite friends and family members and we set up a "stage" area.

Any other suggestions surrounding location?

• @colgoo  Feb 6

@unpronounceable ....is there any time of day on March 11th that would work for you? Because right now, if looks like we have at least four people who can come that day....

If not, should we consider having two parties? For those who could make it to both, you'd get to share more songs....We could do something like Saturday, March 11 and Sunday March 19. I'd love to get a show of hands who can come to one or the other (or both).

• @unpronounceable Feb 6

Unfortunately, I've got a full day conference on the 11th 😏

• @wistah  Feb 7

March looks to be wide open for me... virtually no gigs. Let me know where and when, I'll be there.

• @colgoo  Feb 8

@bethdesombre @wistah @andrewjtaylor @antlion

What time on the 11th? I'm thinking 11-2, with the thought that if we do this at my place, people can stay and jam as long as they want. That sound good? I live in Belmont if that helps with you figuring out the commute.

We could shoot for 1-4, if that will be better commute-wise.

• @colgoo  Feb 8

Anyone else want to weigh in? I'd like to include as many people as possible.

• @driftwood1  Feb 8

I was sad to miss it last year, so I'd love to be a part of it. My schedule is unfortunately very busy again this year, so keep me on the potential list and if the timing works out I'll be there.

• @bethdesombre  Feb 8

I'm pretty flexible on timing on the 11th at this point.

• @andrewjtaylor  Feb 9

11-2 sounds good as a tentative time. Allows for some sleeping in, but also allows for it to be a bit open ended. I'd imagine you've experienced the time running over in jam sessions since you mentioned it.

• @cheriehu42 Feb 9

March 10–19 I will be away for SXSW 😞 Aside from February 25, most weekend brunch times work for me!

• @lovina Feb 10

March 11th is good for me!

• @gbg2016  Feb 11

Sadly, I can't make either of the first two weekends in march. If the 19th still works for people, I might be able to do it. Saturdays are a bit easier because I'm on the opposite end of the state!

• @mikegtz  Feb 19

Hi Colleen, thanks for getting things going. Where we have met for the past five years is called Bloc 11 in Union Square in Somerville. This still could be a backup plan location, but I'm up for trying something different.
    Saturdays are a little harder than Sundays because I have been working Saturdays during the day, but I could make an afternoon or evening gathering time or pretty much anytime on Sunday. Best times for me: Sunday 12th, Saturday 18th or Sunday 19th. If we do the 11th from 11-2pm at your place in Belmont, I just would need to change my work hours if that works best for everyone else.

• @colgoo  Feb 19

I see no reason why we can't try for both. All the more times to try to reach out to the most people. I will plan on coming to both.

@mikegtz : Would you be interested in setting up a Bloc 11 party for Sunday the 19th, and I will send email invites with my home address for the positive and maybe RSVPs for Saturday, March 11 from 11-whenever. I will be checking dietary restrictions, so hopefully we can have foods that everyone will enjoy.

@cheriehu42 @mom23gals
    maybe we can get your sweet music planned for a future party. I mean, there's no reason we can't try to plan something in April or May, is there?

@lovina @andrewjtaylor @bethdesombre @wistah @antlion
    @unpronounceable @tamsnumber4 @driftwood1

• @mikegtz  Feb 19

@colgoo I would be glad to organize another Bloc 11 shindig for Sunday, March 19th from 4-7pm. I can't do it until a couple days before we get there per restaurant instructions and people would be expected to buy some food (their menu would suit everyone). But if that is ok with everyone, I 'll plan to do it. Bloc 11 address is 11 Bow Street, Somerville, MA .

• @colgoo  Feb 19

Sounds fun!!!!

• @mikegtz  Feb 19

@colgoo, add @katoninetails and @nancihobson1 to the invite list

• @bethdesombre  Feb 19

Hey all (and especially @colgoo and @mikegtz) -- I wonder if we should go back to the drawing board and do a doodle poll or something (or even just list contending dates and see who could come to which. I'm not that likely to be able to make it to two different gatherings, and it would make some sense to see if we can find a time that can get the most of us there at one moment (even if it turns out to be a date I can't come . . .)

• @colgoo  Feb 19

@bethdesombre

I don't know how to make those polls. Feel free to put one up.

From what I was seeing on this thread, March 11th was the day that worked best for those who had responded. If we determine that the 19th(or another time) is a better date, that can totally be the official FAWM-over party. I am good with either one. I'll hold off on sending emails until we have consensus.

• @bethdesombre  Feb 19

Hmm. Can only do a doodle poll with everyone's email addresses. I don't, alas, have the time right now to organize figuring out one date; if I were going to do it, I'd create one post and tag all the relevant people -- list the dates and have everyone respond with all the dates they can make. (I think there were bunches of people not necessarily in the original conversation.) But, as I said, I'm too swamped right now to organize, so whatever people decide is fine; if I can be there I will, with whatever subset of people can attend, and if not, I'll look forward to seeing you all next year.

• @tamsnumber4  Feb 20

I cannot come on March 11th, it is the Special Olympics Basketball Regionals in Keene. March 19th is good and should be minimal traffic on that day.

• @mikegtz  Feb 20

@colgoo, we don't have to do Bloc 11 on Sunday of the 19th, we could meet up at your place in Belmont from 1-5pm. If we need to do a Saturday party to include @andrewjtaylor, we could try the same time on Saturday of the 18th. If it's closer to 128/95, that might make it easier for some people coming from the south or the west. My suggestion is to figure out what works best for you and then go ahead and put out the party announcement. Thanks for doing this coordination work.

• @andrewjtaylor  Feb 27

@colgoo @mikegtz I just learned that our school talent show (which was postponed due to a snow day which proved very beneficial for my writing!) is now going to be held on Saturday the 11th @ 7 PM. If all goes to plan, the 11-2 time frame should work with that, but things will be somewhat tight and "overflow will be limited." I'm playin cajon and piano for several participants and facilitating sound and video for the event. Mike mentioned that the 18th might be a superior date, and if it works better for more people, I'd prefer it. Gives me a little more time to refine the songs as well. Seems it would work for @tamsnumber4 but not @cheriehu42 who will be away to SXSW through the 19th.

• @colgoo  Feb 27

I'm fine either way... I like the idea of more time to practice shared pieces.

• @bethdesombre  Feb 28

So, gang; where are we on date/place?

• @mikegtz  Mar 1

My suggestion: something at @colgoo's place on Saturday of the 18th and also back to the Bloc 11 for Sunday 3/19 from 4-7pm. People could come to one or both.

• @colgoo  Mar 1

FAWM-over weekend! I like it. I'll try sending a group invite before this weekend so everyone has two weeks' notice.

• @jyllian Mar 1

I want to come - don't forget to invite me!!

• @andrewjtaylor  8 weeks

@colgoo @mikegtz @jyllian @bethdesombre @tamsnumber4 @unpronounceable @antlion @mom23gals @wistah @driftwood1 @cheriehu42 @lovina @gbg2016 @nancihobson1 @edmund I attempted to do this on Monday but Google Apps mobile apparently doesn't allow the creation of forms. We were in Boston for my wife's US Citizenship Interview/Test. I've just created a survey on Google Forms to provide a little more visibility as to availability. I've tried to account for all possible options. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FA...

@colgoo If people respond, and if you provide an email address, I can add you as a viewer of the response data.

@colgoo I can always modify the form, though the results will get a bit funky on the spreadsheet if I get some data pre-change and some post-change.

• @colgoo  8 weeks

Hello, everyone.

My sister's husband is in a coma right now after a tragic choking incident on Tuesday. It looks like he may be taken off life support tomorrow and there may be a possible funeral on Friday or Saturday next week. I will be flying out to WA/ID to support my little sister in the next few days.

As this has been unfolding, I am becoming more aware that I may not be up for hosting on the 18th. I don't know what chaos may unfold while I am out of town, and I may not be ready to do much beyond singing (my favorite form of therapy). I would love to come hang out with you all after I get back from the funeral.

If the 19th works for the most people, why don't we plan on that?

• @unpronounceable 8 weeks

So much love to you @colgoo !!! So sorry for the heArtwrenching situation. I've got a hug for you.

• @tamsnumber4  8 weeks

@colgoo Love and hugs to you my friend, sending thoughts your way.

• @bethdesombre  8 weeks

So sorry to hear that, @colgoo; sending my best thoughts.

• @colgoo  8 weeks

@bethdesombre @tamsnumber4 @unpronounceable

Thank you for the support.

I hate the randomness of death. How some people cheat it over and over throughout life while others succumb quickly.

My brother-in-law was a person who cheated death multiple times. He was born on July 4. 1976 with muscular dystrophy and his parents were told he wouldn't live much past his twenties, that he wouldn't be able to live a normal life, he would end up in a wheelchair, etc.

He was stubborn and worked very hard to build up his strength in the body he'd been given. When we went to Disneyworld together, it took us three days to wear him down to using a wheelchair at the park. And when we did, he took turns letting his daughter have a break because he hated being seen as someone with a disability.

My sister shot down his requests for a date multiple times, but he persisted and they fell in love. They have a daughter together who just turned 13, which was a complete surprise pregnancy and he was a very i

• @colgoo  8 weeks

...involved as a parent.

Survived two bouts with cancer, a house fire in December. Now this....

• @wistah  8 weeks

@colgoo sorry for your loss.

• @colgoo  8 weeks

I've been asked to sing at his funeral by my sister. One of my other sisters has volunteered to sing the harmonies. (Our voices blend so very well.)

Anyway, sorry to get long winded. I'm still processing what happened.

Today is March 4, 2017. He lived 40 years and nine months. He stayed out of a wheelchair for most of his adult life. He fell in love and married one of the most beautiful women in the world. He fathered a child. He went camping, backpacking and traveled thousands of miles past his small rural Idaho hometown. His death comes as a surprise only because he seemed to always defy the odds.

• @mikegtz  8 weeks

@colgoo so sorry about everything with your brave brother-in-law. Shall we do Bloc11 on the 19th from 4-7?

• @bethdesombre  8 weeks

Works for me! @mikegtz

• @jyllian 8 weeks

Earlier time is better for me...but don't let that stop you from meeting. I have a standing Sunday engagement at 4:30 every week.

• @mikegtz  7 weeks

Maybe 2-5pm at Bloc11 on the 19th so you can get there, Jyl?

• @jyllian 7 weeks

Hi @mikegtz - it's about an hour drive for me - I could get there for 2:00 but have to leave around 3:15. I'll do my best but I can wait for @colgoo for an alternate event. I loved the meet up last year. Sorry - my schedule is difficult.

• @mom23gals  7 weeks

@colgoo, I am so very sorry for your loss, your brother-in-law sounds like an amazing person. I'm glad you were asked to sing at his funeral, I hope it feels like an honor to you, as I know it will be a real tribute to him and his memory.

As for the FAWM over party, I am totally swamped (as witnessed by my utter lack of productivity in February). I'm going to pass for this year.

But if any of you are interested in attending a great event that celebrates women singers, instrumentalists, and song writers, I am participating in this year's Women of Worcester concert on April 8 -- https://www.womenofworcesterproductio... It's going to be a great show, very collaborative, and an interesting mix of genres. Tix on sale this Wednesday.

• @tamsnumber4  7 weeks

I would love the earlier time since the next day is a school day, but let me know what the final time agreed on is so that I can jot it down.

• @mikegtz  7 weeks

Bloc 11, 1-4pm or 2-5pm on the 19th? I will make arrangements and hopefully @colgoo can also have something at her place a couple weeks later.

• @mikegtz  7 weeks

@tamsnumber4, @bethdesombre and @jyllian, I can contact Bloc11 for a brunch event next Sunday from 2-5 if that is ok?

• @tamsnumber4  7 weeks

sounds good to me, is @wistah still considering also?

• @bethdesombre  7 weeks

Works for me. We should tag all the folks who have shown up on this topic to make sure they know.

• @mikegtz  7 weeks

Beth, I will do that.

• @mikegtz  6 weeks

Hi everyone. This year's Bloc 11 FAWM over party will be this Sunday March 19th from 2-5pm. Bloc 11 is at 11 Bow Street in Somerville in Union Square. I will call in the next couple days to make a reservation for 8-10 persons. They will want to us to buy food so bring your appetites. @colgoo, if you can do an event at the beginning of April I think it would be nice also but let us know if you can. I'll also announce this on my profile.
    @wistah, @cheriehu42, @unpronounceable, @edmund, @suzannemcneil2017, @katoninetails, @bethdesombre, @driftwood1, @mom23gals, @mikegts, @gbg2016,
    @tamsnumber4, @nancihobson1, @antlion, @lovina, @andrewjtaylor

• @bethdesombre  6 weeks

Hi folks: I'll be there, but I've acquired an event in Cambridge that begins at 4, so I'll need to leave by not long after 3:30. So I'm hoping people who can arrive promptly do, and we get started with whoever is around and then welcome those who come later.

• @unpronounceable 6 weeks

I'll be there, but on the later/middle of it side. Sorry to probably miss you, @bethdesombre.

• @andrewjtaylor  6 weeks

Just came to check out the discussion topic wondering where things stood. Had no idea about your loss @colgoo. I am sorry. What an inspiration he must have been (and still is). I was considering attempting to cut my commitments short on both ends of Sunday, but it may not be feasible to do so with an hour and a half commute (not including traffic) each way. The Bloc 11 idea definitely interests me @mikegtz, but I may just have to wait.

• @mikegtz  6 weeks

@andrewjtaylor I am watching the game weather carefully for Sunday 3/19 at this time and I am not sure if we should cancel or not. I will post my thoughts here tomorrow afternoon.

• @mikegtz  6 weeks

@bethdesombre , @unpronounceable, @wistah, @tamsnumber4 Hi everyone, changing the message here. Apparently the storm for tomorrow is going out to sea so I am going to go ahead and do the 2-5 pm Bloc 11 reservation for tomorrow, 3/19. A few hours ago, it looked like up to 4" in some areas so I apologize for the earlier message. @andrewjtaylor, I know you can't make it but let's try to do something else in April.

• @andrewjtaylor  6 weeks

@mikegtz Sounds like a plan. Thanks for your organization efforts thus far.

• @bethdesombre  6 weeks

I'll be there! Promptly at (or even a little before) 2.

• @mikegtz  6 weeks

Reservations made for 6-8 people. Want us to purchase $10 each. Hopefully as many of us as possible can come.

• @colgoo  6 weeks

@andrewjtaylor @bethdesombre @unpronounceable @antlion @jyllian @tamsnumber4 @mom23gals @wistah @cheriehu42 @driftwood1 @lovina @gbg2016 @mikegtz

Today's party was so much fun, I want it to continue. I'm going to plan a party at my house in late April or early May and see if we can catch some of you who couldn't come today. Also, don't forget to support Beth on Saturday, April 1.

Email me: colgoo at me dot com

If I have your email, I'll put you on the spring party list with directions to my home.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...