London Fawm Over Party?

Skip to the bottom

• @johnnycashpoint Feb 1

UPDATE: London FOP, SUNDAY 2nd APRIL.
    1-5pm at The Cavendish Arms, 128 Hartington Road, Stockwell, London SW8 2HJ http://www.thecavendisharmsstockwell....
    7-11pm at the Stage Door Open Mic, 28-30 Webber St, Lambeth, London SE1 8QA, http://www.thestagedoor.co.uk

Looks like The Cavendish Arms will waive their fee so we can instead make a donation to Stand Up To Cancer in Hoop's memory. Will confirm that as soon as I can.

• @jibbidy34  Feb 1

Always up for it!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 1

Yep - count me in, as long as you don't clash with the Texas FOP. 😁

• @sw1n3flu  Feb 1

Up in principle, however out of the country a lot during both months, so may not be able to make if

• @pooka Feb 1

Yes. Absolutely. I'm still pretty gutted that there wasn't one last year.

• @tomslatter  Feb 3

I've been rubbish the last two years so yeah I'm definitely up for it this year.

• @pooka Feb 19

Dragging this topic back up so we can have a FOP this year!

Is anyone up for doing a Doodle poll? If not, I'll do it.

There are plenty of venues we could do it at - although for the past few ones we've been at the Vauxhall Griffin, which is a good place to be. However, we could hypothetically do it anywhere, as long as it's suitable for mooooosic!

• @karan  Feb 19

This might be the very last EuroFOP in London 😞 , therefore I really want to attend, and so does @sentense! Alas, in this case it would have to be on the weekend of March 31st-April 2nd - do you think this would be possible?

• @cynthiawolff  Feb 19

oh man this would be so awesome...
    wish I was in London...
    have fun you guys...
    xxc

• @tootoobee  Feb 19

Just wanted to mention that @nancyrost mentioned in the London post that she's in London in April 😀

BTW, I'd try to come to London, too, if there's a FOP.

• @nancyrost  Feb 19

Unfortunately my time in London doesn't coincide with Karan and Sven's. I'll be there April 14-20 to spend time with Hoops' friends. I would love to see as many of you as I can, whether or not it's at the FOP.

• @karan  Feb 20

Oh @nancyrost, that's such a pity! I would have loved to meet you!

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 20

I can probably make the weekend @karan is over but will have just returned from Texas, so depends on jetlag.

• @karan  Feb 21

@helenseviltwin, I know for certain that there is no better remedy against jetlag than a FOP! 😀

• @karlsburg25  Feb 22

Wow it's tempting to fly back from Thailand for this 😀

• @helenseviltwin  Feb 22

@karan - I'll see what I can do; I'll just be on 6 hours later than the rest of you brain-wise.

• @karan  Feb 22

@helenseviltwin , I love the presence of your brain (and the rest of you), tired or not!

• @unpronounceable Feb 22

I'll be in London from April 2-17 and would love to meet up with fawmers and a "it's been way too long reunion" with @nancyrost! 😀

• @karan  Feb 23

Methinks there ought to be TWO FOPs! 😀

• @andybalham Feb 26

I'll do my utmost to be there whenever it might be.

• @tootoobee  Mar 1

bump! If the FoP is to happen on the first weekend of April, then that's only 4 weeks to go.
    I'd love to join you but I need to know the date soon to organize ...

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 1

Any London folks got any thoughts on venue? I have access to a PA, if necessary.

• @ajna1960  Mar 1

aarggg wish I was in London now ! I only know one other FAWMer in Ireland 😞

• @pooka Mar 1

I like the concept of two FOPs - it might be slightly unworkable in some ways.

In the past there's generally been a smaller event in May: basically hijacking an open mike with a group of FAWMers. I've also suggested the option of doing a low-key, mostly acoustic FOP as an alternative.

However, what we do need is a regular FOP.

I've created a Doodle poll to keep track of everyone's availability, which is probably easier than a forum thread to track!

http://doodle.com/poll/hyypybpfpdgxt2v9

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 1

@pooka you might as well get a doodle ting rollin'

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 1

hahahh crossed over messages

• @karan  Mar 1

@ajna1960, just hop across the Celtic sea and come over for it! 😀 I'd love to meet you!

• @chrishope  Mar 1

what if we all crash the sheffield Northern one?

• @karan  Mar 1

@chrishope, unfortunately this would be impossible for @sentense and myself. We also have plans to see old friends in Devon, and Sheffield is just too far away to drive up and then down again, since we'll only be in Britain for such a short time.

• @chrishope  Mar 1

no prob ..was just wondering if numbers got too low x

• @karan  Mar 1

😁

• @djohnson Mar 1

I'm up for London FOP!

• @pooka Mar 2

My thoughts on venue are:

- Vauxhall Griffin (obvs.)
    - The Star (since we had the FOP there a couple of times)
    - Fortress Studios (a music studio, scene of a fun FNOP, although not the most social of places)
    - Millfield Arts Centre. A bit out of the way, but it's a good centre and I had a gig there once.

Any others?

• @djohnson Mar 2

Where is The Star @pooka?

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 2

The Star is in Archway, as I recall?

• @benschiem  Mar 2

wow, I would like to join that too, although its just my first fawm year, but that sounds fun

• @karan  Mar 2

@pooka, thanks for looking into this!
    @benschiem, do it! I did, after my first FAWM in 2009, and it was fun indeed! I can't remember whether it was this FOP or one of the following, but towards the end of one I purposefully baptised my flute with champagne (her name, obviously, is "Champagne Flute" ... 😁 )

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 3

bump

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 6

@pooka - are you happy to take the lead on booking somewhere? If you need cash up front, give me a shout.

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 7

Are we any closer to date and we'll place?

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 7

.... thanks to my iPhone for suggesting "we'll" .... ignore!

• @neonpaul Mar 7

Ooh a party! Count me as interested!

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 8

It looks like first weekend in April is best. Any London based person want to find a venue?

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 8

Let me dredge my brain - griffin good but needs 250£ deposit. Star would be cool. Cheapest and easiest would be booking a rehearsal room at the fortress for the day - equipment and sound proofing all provided! - but it's not 'public performance' if that bothers people. Or we hit the stage door open mic (home to Mary's musical hat' for those who remember the Hoops invasion ...)

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 9

Is it a refundable deposit, or is that how much they're charging for the room now? I can cover up front costs if that's what we decide to do. I think the big room at Fortress would be pretty cool. Maybe do that for the afternoon, then invade the stage door in the evening? 😝

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 9

Refundable; but I haven't confirmed availability ... I am thinking fortress and then hit Stage Door (which would make it Sunday) would make it wonderful but am happy to be swayed. Tell us what you want, fine people and somehow we will make it happen!

• @andybalham Mar 9

I'm willing to help out with the refundable deposit if we can get The Griffin (if that is the way we go). I'd prefer The Griffin option, but happy with any chance to meet up and play.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 10

I slightly prefer the Griffin, but am also happy to go either way. I'm happy to cover the deposit as long as everyone pinky swears not to trash things 😝

• @chrishope  Mar 10

does any one have a contact email for benjamin nolan ? .. could pm it to chrishope42@gmail.com..ta

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 10

@chrishope There's an email on his FAWM profile. Not sure how current it is.

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 14

OK, sorry, been letting the ball drop on this one ... Griffin not getting back to me so have e-mailed the Cavendish Arms in Stockwell (I'll be there on Friday for a Labour party fundraiser so can talk in person as well) and will try the Priory Arms. As a back-up, can someone see if the Fortress (or similar) have availability on April 1st or 2nd? Ahhh, I love my new job but it's eating up my time!!! j$

Also, @chrishope I can get in touch with Ben for you - but he's living in Barcelona these days so I don't know how much help he can be, at least in terms of FOP...

OK, The Cavendish Arms (http://www.thecavendisharmsstockwell....) can accommodate us from 1-5pm on Sunday 2nd April. It's probably a bit too big for us and Sunday not as good as Saturday; but the upside is we could do this and then those who wanted to could jump a bus to the Stage Door, Waterloo for 6.45pm to sign up for the open mic? Feedback welcome on this option compared to hiring a rehearsal room on the Saturday ...

As I said, I'll be there on Friday so could sign, seal and deliver by the weekend, if folks are amenable j$

• @andybalham Mar 14

Thanks for looking into this Paul. The afternoon actually suits me well as I would have to be heading back to MK reasonably early, so count me in.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 14

I think this looks great. Thanks for your wonderful organisation @johnnycashpoint

• @tomslatter  Mar 15

Looks great, cheers Paul. I'm in.

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 15

'Kay - Cavendish Arms booked for 1-5pm on Sunday 2nd April. Then off to the Stage Door, for those who want to, for Open Mic fun!

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 15

Woohoo!

• @karan  Mar 15

HOORAY! 😁

• @andybalham Mar 16

Right, time to get practicing. Be warned, I will be requesting audience participation.

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 16

Not *again*, @andybalham I thought we talked about this after *last* time? 😀

• @sentense  Mar 16

YEEES!

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 20

Lol @johnnycashpoint

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 20

Sunday 2nd April is actually doable for me 😲. Dumb question- what's the format? Are we strictly playing FAWM 2017 songs? Is there an instrument list? I've played at the Cavendish Arms before and it's cool, nice sound 😀

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 20

It's never been the case in the past that we limit it to that year's songs. Depending on how many people show up, I guess people will get about 10-15 minutes each? I usually make @sentense play cajon for me.

I'm happy to bring an acoustic guitar or a bass, whichever is most useful.

• @sentense  Mar 20

Yes, me and a Cajon will be there at your service 😀 (@helenseviltwin: i have a new one and you will LOVE it!)

• @pooka Mar 20

Ack, I've been too busy to do this. Thanks for stepping in, @johnnycashpoint.

I may be able to bring an instrument, although the only amplifiable ones I have are my old electric guitar and a bass. I also have a steel-strung acoustic, but the electro port is broken, and a nylon-strong classical, which has developed a hideous buzz.

I've also lost my cowbell, but could bring a shaker and/or a glockenspiel...

I have an acoustic guitar pickup I can bring too. It just clips into the soundhole. (Won't work with classical, but will work with steel strung).

• @tomslatter  Mar 20

I can bring an electroacoustic or electric bass. Won't be able carry both.

I'll default to electroacoustic unless anyone has a preference.

I may also rehearse... possibly

• @andybalham Mar 20

I'll be bringing an electric guitar and an fx pedal and some chord sheets if I don't get enough practice in.

@tomslatter - cool. I'll bring bass then.

Who has a music stand? That's always useful

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 21

Also, chord sheets are generally a good idea, so you can get people to join in with your songs (if you want them to)

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 21

I am bringing an Ukulele, a Casio VL-Tone 1 and Colin the egg-shaper. I seem to have finally rid myself of the Ocarina of Doom; but if that (as it always has) turns up in my pocket on the day, that too ... bring the fun! j$

• @tomslatter  Mar 22

I can bring a music stand, no probs. I'll bring my little zoom video/audio recorder too.

• @djohnson Mar 23

I might be busy during the day but I'll try and join the open mic at night!

• @tiller2  Mar 23

Warm thoughts to you London folks, in the wake of yesterday's awful attack. Keep your mojo, we are with you! <3

• @pooka Mar 26

I'll bring:

- a music stand
    - a capo
    - violin pitch-pipes
    - a glockenspiel with mallet
    - an egg shaker

Maybe also something to record the FOP. If nobody else can record it I may find a way. If need be, I can bring a laptop and mike for recording, but that's a long shot.

I have a full-size ocarina but, since I can't play it, may not bring it.

• @unpronounceable Mar 28

I should be able to stop by! Looking forward to meeting/hearing you live 😀

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 28

'kay - just to get a sense of numbers for both events, do I have this list correct? (Tell me if I have mis-attributed attendance intentions or, worse, missed anyone off. Nothing personal, just speed-reading a long thread/combining FB responses) Also there are a few people whose FAWM profiles I don't know, so please do share on if you do ...

@pooka (both?)
    j$ (both)
    @helenseviltwin (both)
    @karan Karan (both)
    @sentense (both)
    @andybalham (Cavendish Arms)
    @tomslatter (Cavendish Arms)
    @Unpronounceable (Cavendish Arms)
    @djohnson (Stage Door)
    @sw1n3flu (Cavendish Arms, maybe Stage Door)
    @neonpaul (interested)
    @benschiem (interested)
    @Chrishope (interested)
    Georgie Cooper(interested)
    Jon Hunt (interested)
    @Wobbiewobbit (interested)

Also, if you can't make THIS SUNDAY (see the top of the thread for details),there's a Hoopshank musical memorial on Easter Sunday afternoon in a nearby theatre, so message me for details about that!

• @tootoobee  Mar 28

Hi all, I've no chance to come to London that weekend 😞 Have fun!

• @unpronounceable Mar 28

Yep, should be there by 2 or 3 pm with friend. Won't have a chance to grab instrument or ractice prior to then so I may just watch and say hello <3

• @sentense  Mar 29

@karan and me planning for both, yes

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 29

Great! @unpronounceable if you want to play something/ join in, you are very welcome to borrow any instrument I have, or I'm sure other nice people will be equally forthcoming. If you just want to watch that's also fine! Be sure to say 'hello'!

• @andybalham Mar 29

I have resurrected an old Flip video camera (remember those!) that I used to video the last FOP. I am planning to bring that and to try to record at least something by everyone there.

• @sw1n3flu  Mar 30

Hey @johnnycashpoint I'm planning on attending Cavendish, stage door is a maybe. Also, you can remove "Ben Spencer" from your list as that's me!

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 30

Ahhhhh, I understand! Great, see you Sunday!

• @neonpaul Mar 30

Nice, I'll be coming to the Stage Door, probably not the Cavendish.

• @johnnycashpoint Mar 30

Excellent @neonpaul see you at the Stage Door!

• @tomslatter  Mar 30

I will turn up at the Cavendish. In fact I'm already there. Under a table. Waiting.

• @helenseviltwin  Mar 31

I'll be there for both.

• @unpronounceable Mar 31

@tomslatter , I'll drink you under the table 😝

• @tomslatter  Mar 31

@unpronounceable as I'm already under a table, that's not much of a boast...

• @pooka Apr 1

Yes, I'll do both!

I apologise for having not rehearsed, but there's a terrible story around why not. I may even tell it tomorrow so everyone can have a good laugh.

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 1

Tomorrow, people (so I have no guilt over the *BUMP*)!

• @sw1n3flu  Apr 2

On the way \m/

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 2

The hardcore have made it to the Stage Door with drinking time to spare ... Dangerous!

• @zxcvbnm  Apr 2

Great, petrol or diesel drives cars bu various forms of ethanol have contributed to some great music over the years!

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 2

Well, that went well, I feel. I'm really glad I stayed (despite being a little *worse for wear*) to hear @neonpaul play this - http://fawm.org/songs/74340/ - on top of all the other wonderful songs all day, new and old. It seemed like a perfect close x

• @chrishope  Apr 3

apologies ..had to be 'away' ... hope y'all had fun x

• @pooka Apr 3

Hey - was a good day for all and a great FOP.

I understand there were photos, recordings and possibly videos taken of various parts. I'd collect these all into one place if I actually had any access to the webspace I used to use. I don't, however, so maybe just share (links to) them here?

• @helenseviltwin  Apr 3

Hey @pooka - I've set up a login to my hosting for you and emailed you the details, if you want to set something fancier up. Thanks 😀

• @neonpaul Apr 3

Had a lot of fun last night, was really great to meet you guys!

• @tomslatter  Apr 3

Hello! Cavendish Arms was lots of fun. I have video of most of it. I'll upload it when I can, but my Internet connection doesn't like uploading so it might take a while!

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 3

@tomslatter i'm happy with just audio, if it's easier ... see enough of my ugly mug day to day anyway 😀

• @andybalham Apr 3

Big thanks to @johnnycashpoint for organising yesterday's shindig and to everyone else for being so jolly nice. I am endeavouring to work out how to process the video I took to make uploading feasible.

I have noted that in one bit of footage I am almost totalling anonymous on bass. Guess who is obscuring me and hogging the limelight. 😉

• @unpronounceable Apr 3

So glad to have met/jammed with you all. Please don't be a stranger 😀

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 4

@andybalham was it Sven? He is such an attention seeker 😀

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 4

Thank you to everyone who found cash in their pockets (and also those who couldn't but would've if they had any in them pockets in this tough, tough climate) to contribute to Stand Up to Cancer in memory of @hoopshank. We drummed up and donated just short of £80, which we hope in its own small way helps move us closer to the day when such disgusting nonsense can no longer take anyone else. FOP London, you have done Hoops proud. I love you all even more x

(PS also thanks to @helenseviltwin for taking care of business after I sneakily* left all the money in the bottom of her uke bag without telling her before she headed back to Cambridge).

(PPS now I'm weeping again. Does this ever stop? I hope not x)

(* for 'Sneakily' read 'drunkenly'. Clearly a good day).

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 4

@unpronounceable A pleasure to meet you too. "Toaster" haunts my dreams in a very, very good way and you both were very lovely, welcome additions to the afternoon so I hope to see you again in the not-too-distant ...

• @andybalham Apr 4

After battling video codecs with my two-day hangover, I have been pointed in the direction of the fabulous HandBrake software and below are the results:

The Pterodactyls: https://youtu.be/9VrzvYd4qFk
    @johnnycashpoint: https://youtu.be/k7zxbnNxpxI
    @helenseviltwin: https://youtu.be/m2WBX_nIz8I
    @sw1n3flu: https://youtu.be/XYxHc3husd4
    @pooka: https://youtu.be/TsavUjQqPrg
    HET & J$: https://youtu.be/5ut9mTb09jo
    @tomslatter: https://youtu.be/2emulwatiwk
    @karan & @sentense: https://youtu.be/p8weHqh6WDI

Let me know if the links work please.

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 4

"This video does not exist 😞" 😞

• @andybalham Apr 4

I've just clicked through the redone links, but searching for 'london fop 2017' should also do the trick.

• @karan  Apr 4

Thank you all for a wonderful day - it was such a joy to see you again and to remember Hoops together! 😁

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 4

*heart emoji* x

• @helenseviltwin  Apr 5

Awesome! Thanks, @andybalham 😀

• @pooka Apr 5

Great stuff - Pterodactyls sounds great!

• @sw1n3flu  Apr 5

\m/ yes!!

• @sw1n3flu  Apr 5

Can't make the Easter jam - have a great time all of you attending!

• @johnnycashpoint Apr 5

@andybalham did you not get 'Rude Santa' and 'Half' on your miracle toy recorder? Maybe @tomslatter did? xj$

• @andybalham Apr 6

Sadly my camera's battery died before that fine moment of rock. Hopefully Tom's can come up with the goods.

• @tomslatter  Apr 11

Hello! I have been uploading stuff. Not all up yet, but lots is. Everyone who wants a link, please drop me an email or say hello on the book of face tomslattermusic AT Gmail.com

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...