Does Dropbox still work for FAWM?

Skip to the bottom

• @radioovermoscow Jan 30

I heard they've made some changes recently to sharing URLs publicly - will these effect our audio hosting?

• @tcelliott  Jan 30

I don't think they have taken effect yet, but soon. I can check when I get back home, but that's not for a few hours yet.

• @burrsettles  Jan 30

Hmmm... it might. There's always SoundCloud or the FAWM hosting...

• @radioovermoscow Jan 30

Thanks guys. I'd like to just keep on doing what's worked previously, you know? Haven't installed Dropbox on this new machine yet, and won't if it's not gonna work. @burrsettles - if we host it on our own site, and use a direct link to the mp3 URL, that'll work eh?

• @kevinemmrich  Jan 30

Dropbox links won't break until March 17th from what I have seen.

• @jendistad  Jan 30

@radioovermoscow: Yes, hosting on your own site (with a direct link to the mp3) works. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @burrsettles  Jan 30

@radioovermoscow what jen said. ๐Ÿ˜€

• @tinam Jan 30

i am hoping dropbox still works but does anyone know how can i check it out before FAWM starts?

• @brownium  Jan 30

Yes, @tinam - you can use dropbox public folder until 15 March, confirmed through the link below. But remember that your FAWM links will go cold after that, so post-fawm access to those files will go away.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/16

Dropbox Basic (free) users: Beginning March 15, 2017, the Public folder will be converted into a standard Dropbox folder thatโ€™s private to your account. This transition will occur automatically. After the transition, when someone visits an existing Public folder link, theyโ€™ll see an error page. If you want to share any Public folder content again, youโ€™ll need to use any of our other sharing methods. Learn more.

• @tinam Jan 30

Thank you @brownium ! ,that is a relief...im not realy worried about what happens after FAWM

• @anonymouse  Jan 30

Thanks for posting this. I too was wondering.
    [so the search for alternatives can be delayed til after FAWM :} ]

• @radioovermoscow Jan 31

If direct linking works, does that mean Google Drive-hosted files will too? I only use Dropbox for FAWM, and if they're cutting off access, might as well go with what I use every day.

• @yam655  Jan 31

@radioovermoscow Google Drive doesn't offer direct linking. They link to a page on Google Drive. This is the model that Dropbox is moving toward. It'll get marked as an "off-site link" and not work for the Jukebox.

For a direct link to the MP3, you need a link to the MP3 that plays the music in the browser without looking like it is on Google Drive or Dropbox or anywhere. The download-only links are configured to do just that -- download only.

• @radioovermoscow Jan 31

Cool thanks @yam655 . Will just host it myself this time!

• @jinx  Jan 31

Oh man, I'm bummed to hear this... ๐Ÿ˜ž I've always used Dropbox for FAWM, and will do so this year too, but now I'm wondering about next year. I own a domain but haven't turned it into a website yet โ€“ I assume that means I won't be able to host demos there? Any advice from people techier than me?

• @dukemeyer Feb 1

The public folder of my dropbox doesn't work anymore since last week - much earlier than expected. All the links to my homepage are down, "error" instead of sound, no one can be played anymore. Still didn't find any free FTP (the last time I used one was decades ago...) which would be easy enough for me to work with. I was unable to get the server connection correctly... ๐Ÿ˜ž I'll find a way, but at the moment, I'm completeley perplexed - the public dropbox was the ONLY thing I ever knew for my soundfiles to get played anywhere.

• @kevinemmrich  Feb 1

@dukemeyer My dropbox links are still working, just checked out a 50/90 tune.

• @dukemeyer Feb 1

@kevinemmrich Thanks for the info, I will try it again once more.

• @timfatchen  Feb 1

@dukemeyer My dropbox public links still work too. I'll use dropbox for FAWM and changeover to...something...mid March. I can't do much after 27 February anyway.

• @dukemeyer Feb 1

@timfatchen You were right - it still works! Thank you! Think I'm giving up too early when something seems to turn wrong - a bad habit I should get rid of by degrees. (My homepage-link-probs have nothing to do with the dropbox, I guess.) Well, with a few weeks more time I'll solve it anyway... May the games begin. ๐Ÿ˜€ I hope you will get along properly with everything what you have to do, I wish you a good FAWM (and time at all) anyway!

• @bnrmx Feb 1

Does Clyp work for the embedded links?

• @embersofautumn Feb 1

So far so good with mine

• @hamiltonpoolhall  Feb 1

I'm able to post my songs using dropbox and, it seems, other people can hear them, but I can't get my own or anyone else's songs posted via dropbox to play! Has anyone else run into this?

• @deafsteever  Feb 9

@hamiltonpoolhall That happens on my cell phone in my preferred browser. FAWM songs won't play! I just try it in a different browser and it works fine. Maybe that might work for you??

• @timfatchen  Feb 9

March 17 is death-day for those of us with the old dropboxes that allow a public play. Newer dropboxes don't, it seems, have the directplay facility.

• @scottlake Feb 9

For what it's worth, when I'm listening to FAWM songs on my phone, the drop box doesn't work well, and I end up skipping to the next random song. Sorry!

• @faceofeinstein  Feb 9

I found my links weren't working well, so I switched to Soundcloud. I am also guilty of skipping songs that don't work unfortunately.

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...