Ontario, not Toronto Represent!

Skip to the bottom

• @darkmantle  Jan 2017

Since Toronto has a thread, we'll start one for the rest of Ontario. 😜

Kitchener-Waterloo repping here.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2017

Having grown up in the not-Toronto part of Ontario, I know why this thread is more-than-essential! πŸ˜‰

• @fuzzy  Jan 2017

I am presently living in the forest about 45 minutes east of Peterborough near the small town of Havelock.

• @ductapeguy  Jan 2017

I'm in Midland, on Georgian Bay.

• @snoozin  Jan 2017

north of Oshawa πŸ˜€ Hi all!

• @darkmantle  Jan 2017

FYI: I did mean it jokingly. It was because of the Toronto thread. πŸ™‚

• @aprilm  Jan 2017

Kingston here!

• @chandra83  Jan 2017

Greetings from Ajax! πŸ˜€

• @radicalmguy  Jan 2017

Living in London, from Markham normally though

• @robinh  Jan 2017

Way up in the northwest: Thunder Bay. I've got bragging rights for being furthest from Toronto, until the guy from Kenora shows up!

• @sheamiejay  Jan 2017

Hello from "The Hammer" Hamilton.

• @steviez  Jan 2017

Kitchener here as well! AND, originally from Thunder Bay....so does that count too @robinh ?

• @scottlake  Jan 2017

Spent much time visiting non-Toronto-Ontario from my grandparent's home base in Port Huron. My grandmother would take us to Storybook Gardens in London, and my grandfather to a wild bird preserve in Guelph and both of them would take us to maple syrup festivals somewhere I can't recall. My grandma would go over just to get real liqourice (see what I did there?)

• @robinh  Jan 2017

@steviez totally πŸ˜€

• @pwl1 Jan 2017

Whitby here!

• @dudachris Jan 2017

Niagara Falls, formerly Toronto lol...

• @stuartbenbow  Jan 2017

I'm from Cambridge, and various non-Toronto satellites. These days I'm in SE Michigan, but still visit when I can.

• @leslie Jan 2017

Moving to Stratford (down the road) at the end of the month. Hi folks!

• @negasi Jan 2017

Back 2 Brantford this year 😁

• @candle Jan 2017

Ex-toban (Manitoban) now living in K-Town (Kenora). We're geographically closer to Edmonton then we are to our own Provincial Capital.

See You In The Shadows…

• @miladydewinter Feb 2017

Stratford represent!

• @plog  Feb 2017

greets from mississauga!

• @jahayman Feb 2017

I'm in the Hammer. Hoping for a measly three songs this month.

• @butlertron Feb 2017

Couple hours northeast of Toronto... 8-)

• @juravial  Feb 2017

I'm in Thornhill, technically it's not Toronto although I am walking distance to the border, can I still be in this thread?

• @darkmantle  Feb 2017

hahaha @juravial sure! I don't have a hate for Toronto, I started this because there was a Toronto thread. πŸ™‚

• @steviez  Mar 2017

Anyone in the "Not Toronto" area (hopefully, for example KW/Camb/Guelph areas getting together post-FAWM to raise a glass to toast ourselves? πŸ˜€

• @barrygoldman  Jan 2018

Bringing back this thread to say hello from Northwestern Ontario. Most people are either born here or end up here, no one seems to want to come here, but I think there is plenty greatness to be found in this area. For me you will find a real Canadian experience, good and the bad. I just wish there was more good, it's been hard to have any pride or positive feelings in my city after we had a rough 2017, but I'd still much rather be here then Southern Ontario πŸ˜‰. I don't like big cities...

• @steviez  Jan 2018

@barrygoldman Where exactly? I was born and bread in Thunder Bay - been in Kitchener for about 20 years though πŸ˜€

@steviez Tbay yes. In many ways the city has a lot of good, everyday you see the great nature that surrounds us. The sleeping giant is rad, and the hike on top is amazing also, long but worth it. The countryside is wonderful, we also have good local shops and a revitalized local food scene, but then we have a slightly worrying crime rate, little in the way of careers for my generation, and absolutely zero local pride. We love our country here, but you don't hear much love of the city from locals. I wish we could pick it up somehow... 😞

• @snoozin  Jan 2018

Northeast of GTA

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

@barrygoldman I know there are other FAWMers in TBay. It's a great city, in my opinion (likely because I have friends who live there!). I pass through there pretty much every year at some point on my way from Manitoba to Southern Ontario to see my family.

• @candle Jan 2018

@barrygoldman I wasn't born in NWO (I'm a 'Toban from the 'Peg), but my wife & I moved here 18 years ago because we were sick of the city & we fell in love with the wilderness. Been here ever since. Now our son is born & bred in NWO, he might feel differently when he gets older.

See You In The Shadows…

I feel Tbay is a good city from the outsider's perspective. and you know it's not that bad, I think it's just a grass is always greener situation, like with any place.

I like this slang, 'Toban. Some family lives over there, I've been to Winnipeg 3 times to see concerts. The drive there is...not my favorite. I'm sure there are nice things somewhere in the province but man those flatlands...

• @candle Jan 2018

'Toban is almost a derogotory term here in Kenora. But I'm rather proud of it. I joke about it all the time with my fellow K-Town residents. Yeah, the drive from T-Bay is long (even when you knock off 2 hours when you start from here instead of the 'Peg). But the drive is beautiful - nothing like the rugged NWO landscape. And I agree with you about the flatlands (being a flatlander myself) they have their beauty (sunrises & sunsets mostly), but there just ain't enough granite.

See You In The Shadows…

p.s. The grass may be greener, but it might not call to your soul like the grass around your home does.

• @devin  Jan 2018

I’m in the Ancaster/Hamilton mountain area.

Around here, we smoke our grass.... 4 plants per household baby!

• @fuzzy  Jan 2018

Not until July 1st, @devin! πŸ˜‰

• @devin  Jan 2018

@fuzzy

Are you a cop?!?

I *promise* not to harvest until August!

• @fuzzy  Jan 2018

Haha no I'm not, @devin, just a law abiding citizen waiting for public policy to catch up to the will of the people.

• @ductapeguy  Jan 2018

I'm in Midland on the shores of Georgian Bay. Definitely NOT Toronto.
    Hopefully there will be half a dozen or so of us from our Saturday Songwriting group again this year.

• @sheamiejay  Jan 2018

My warmest regards from Hamilton.

• @stephenwordsmith  Jan 2018

Hamilton, Havelock, Cambridge, Stratford, Whitby, Waterloo...

I think when the British Empire was naming settlements in New Zealand, they just went 'Sod it - we'll use the Canadian ones'.

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

Well, they did that in Canada-- "let's just re-use British place names!" So it was a time-honoured tradition by the time they got to NZ.

• @devin  Jan 2018

I was born in Grimsby, live in Ancaster, and worked in every other town @stephenwordsmith mentioned, plus 2 score more that were pilfered from England et al.

We are not just an ungrateful colony, we are thieving and unimaginative to boot!

• @iamthe666  Jan 2018

Elora

• @fuzzy  Jan 2018

@iamthe666, when I was a kid a friend of my sister fell in to the gorge while wandering around drunk in the middle of the night. She shattered her entire body but somehow turned out ok (after the intense physical therapy, of course).

• @metalfoot  Jan 2018

I spent most of my childhood in the Georgian Bay area. I miss Ontario, but Manitoba's been home for much of my adult life, since moving out here for work at the age of 27.

• @iamthe666  Jan 2018

Oh Fuzzy...

People are always falling into the gorge (as well as the quarry) -- usually drunk -- I admit to knowing a few of them :^)

Last week a dog fell off the edge into the gorge and they couldn't save it.

• @iamthe666  Jan 2018

...and, the dog had not been drinking.

• @juliatynes Jan 2018

Hey, I am originally from Nova Scotia, but now live in Toronto, I write primarily Pop R&B soul vocals, lyrics and melody, I can record vocals at home.. I'd love to collaborate with anyone really! Interested in working with hip hop artists, dance/electro producers, and would love to do something acoustic too! Please get at me!!

• @aprilm  Jan 2018

Kingston here! I have lived all over Ontario but home is Kingston now. Great music town!

• @darkmantle  Jan 2018

@juliatynes I grew up in the Annapolis Valley! Living in Waterloo Region now though!

@aprilm I'm actually considering a move to Kingston later in the year. Glad to hear it's a great music town! πŸ™‚

• @hammersmith Jan 2018

Another Hamiltonian here. Probably just lurking occasionally this year.

• @aprilm  Jan 2018

@darkmantle It is an awesome place for music, art, anything creative!

• @mannon Jan 2018

Oshawa here. Originally from Long Beach California but moved up here almost a year and a half ago and never looked back. Toronto reminds me of LA (which I'm not a fan of....too crowded) so I tend to stay in between Curtis and whiby mostly haha

• @devin  Feb 2018

5 min to go Ontario (and beyond)... anyone else counting down?

Almost done stringing this nylon guitar, then it’s noodle time! πŸ˜€

Leave a Message. Log in to FAWM or sign up first...