Katy USA /
Influences: I grew up listening to all kinds of music and have been influenced by too many to name from rock, country, pop, folk over the past 35/40 years. Favorites right now are DMB, Silversun Pickups, The Weepies and kinda diggin Wolfmother and The Black Keys a little the past few months.
Hey y'all. Yep, I'm Texan.... sorry can't get it out of me except when I write lyrics I guess. I leave the y'alls and the twang out then. : )
I'm relatively new to playing guitar (i started learning to play in mid-2004) as well as singing and songwriting. I play with a few friends in an acoustic band called Paper Windows. We've been together since Feb 2007 and continue to have fun with it... it's nothing serious but we gig around Houston once every few months though.
This is my fifth time to be part of the FAWM community. I still know myself well enough to know I won't complete 14 songs but am hopeful that I'll best my previous years of 3 and 4 songs.
Looking forward to 2014!!!
Here's what I wrote on the Forum for "first-time fawmer" back in 2010.
1. Hi all!... I'm Rob Barreda and I'm from Houston, Tx
2. I heard about FAWM through a wordpress blogger who mentioned it in a link. Feb was almost over so I've been waiting a year to try my hand at FAWM.
3. I hope I can spur some songwriting activity out of myself. The well has been dry lately so I hope the challenge (and following others) will get at least a few songs out of me. I don't expect to complete all 14 though. Too much to do and not enough time. I also hope to meet some new songwriting friends through for the encouragement and camaraderie.
4. Musically... I write the lyrics and sing for a band I play in called Paper Windows. Both those talents are mediocre at best but every so often a little pearl can be found in there somewhere. I play acoustic guitar and my entries will more than likely be just my voice and the six string.
5. Ok, so why to watch for me... if nothing else, just 'cause I'm a noobie and I might pull of a song or two that's not too bad.
|1||there's a kitty in the box||
|2||it ain't bad bein' me||
|3||anywhere you are||
|4||Angel of Death is beating its wings||
@tagpfm Feb 28
Heh... from one dad to another, I know that voice well. I record everything late at night when my wife and son are sleeping.
@tagpfm Feb 27
Sorry for the double-post on "Angel of Death...". I don't know how to use computer.
@rachelmcclean Feb 18
Gosh, well thanks! There are some pretty talented people around on FAWM this year though!
Haha, well, I didn't have to work too hard to get the accent - it's not hard to come by in my neck of the woods!
@rachelmcclean Feb 18
Oh man, no, I wish I could say the whole thing took me 45 mins - I have now amended the description for clarity! The writing and the guitar and vocals were the 45 mins - the drums were another hour's worth of searching for the right tracks and desperately trying to make them fit.....which is so not the right way around to do drum tracks but hey, needs must!
Thanks for your comments though, much appreciated! I don't want to claim more praise than I deserve though - I have come to the conclusion that you must have to have magical powers to used drum tracks properly (...or just be slightly less inept than me I suppose... )
@valeriecox Feb 1
Rob! Rock-n-roll. Can't wait to hear your songs.
@gloverm Feb 1
Thanks, Rob - I added you on the watchlist~! Can't wait to hear your music~!